Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One month, and counting

Blog Entries

Default Re: One month, and counting

Is this hotel in Granada?

Hawk...I asked the same thing...the "answer" is above. As usual, I do not understand it.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Yup, Granada.

So the tour resumes. Carlos wants to take us to the pottery manufacturer. I believe we were in Nandaime. We go to the house of the ex-mayor. The story is that he built the pottery place to make jobs for the locals. We are the only ones here, but the ex-mayors son (Miguel) agrees to give us a tour. He fires up the human powered throwing wheel and starts a pot. Once he's got a pot going, he offers us a chance and the wife steps in. The items for sale were beautiful but I was leary about getting pottery home. I bought a mug and the wife bought a pot. The pic is of Miguel with our purchases (look over his right shouler). My wife was enamored with Miguel....I couldn't blame her. These people are gorgeous. Off to the town above Laguna De Apollo...
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was a quick stop. We took a couple pics and left. I was hungry but Carlos talked us into waiting until we got to Masaya. He also related that this place wasn't too safe. Off to Masaya...

Masya
    We had lunch in the main shopping center. We bought lunch for Carlos and I drank many Tonas as the wife shopped. Carlos said that Masaya is the most expensive place to shop and we would have a better selection of goods in Granada. This wasn't true and we went back to Masaya later that week to shop. To the volcano...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiler View Post
    Masya
    We had lunch in the main shopping center. We bought lunch for Carlos and I drank many Tonas as the wife shopped. Carlos said that Masaya is the most expensive place to shop and we would have a better selection of goods in Granada. This wasn't true and we went back to Masaya later that week to shop. To the volcano...
    Next time try the "real" market.. Most of the touristy nick nacks are 50% less for the same item there..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiler View Post
    This was a quick stop. We took a couple pics and left. I was hungry but Carlos talked us into waiting until we got to Masaya. He also related that this place wasn't too safe. Off to Masaya...
    This place is safe.. At least within sight of the Miador (Lookout) .. There have been some reports of chinanigans on the paths into the bush from here..

They rent horses here and a horse ride is safe petty crime wise because of the height advantage they leave you alone.

From here you can see Granada in the distance.. Did he tell you this and point it out?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Next time try the "real" market.. Most of the touristy nick nacks are 50% less for the same item there..
    Yessir. I knew of the real market but was unable to ask Ronald our driver due to my lack of Spanish speaking skills on our second trip to Masaya.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This place is safe.. At least within sight of the Miador (Lookout) .. There have been some reports of chinanigans on the paths into the bush from here..

They rent horses here and a horse ride is safe petty crime wise because of the height advantage they leave you alone.

From here you can see Granada in the distance.. Did he tell you this and point it out?
    Carlos was very informative. I wasn't leary of this place and the food smelled inviting. Horse ride is on the list for next time. Thanks for the remarks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12