Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    If you could drop some jocotes from the plane when you pass over Jacksonville on your way up, my wife would appreciate it.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Yesterday was a bland day - The 26 4x4 beams (they look 20' long) were painted up with the compressor and spray gun. All the Purlins were painted as well.

Had to pop out to the Paca to get a garbage bag full of clothes/rags - $C5 each. Buddy was up on top of a 10 foot pile of clothes and store staff were tossing items people pulled out from the bottom and tossed them back up. We picked out picked out some jeans and hoodies for the guys to clean up the steel with thinner before paint.

I am back out there around 10 AM to see how the welding is going...

Maybe a mop chop as well as my hair is too long for the climate.

Blog Entries

We left at 3 and 3/4 of the frame was boxed in.

The tags of the welding is OK, not great - Some blow through, some pits in the tags, hopefully the final beads look better.

One of the helpers has a 6 pack a day voice, a limp and a blown out cornea in one eye - I nick named him lucky - No I am not a bad man, just an evil sense of humor...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

This is TAC made by a Costa Rican company. It is a vinyl ceiling product.

It sells between 9 and 11 bucks for a 20cm by 5.9M strip which works out to about a buck a sq ft. There is a roofing mesh of 1.2 x 420cm that has to be suspended to hold it up.

It is available in many styles. from a dark oak look to a blinding white.

For floor two it is almost a given we will use this from the results we have seen in a family friends house. Probably the bed rooms (that will have less natural light) we will go with a white or tan, for the open areas on the 2nd floor porch it will mostly likely be the lighter wood colour - I like the "pine" look from the store sample.

It looks like it should be sufficient to slow radiation of heat from the roofing from entering those rooms - We will look at some sort of additional heat barrier. Maybe some 1" foam.

I do worry about fire with those materials. To mitigate that we may avoid 120V lighting all together and just focus on 12 or 24V LED lighting for those rooms.

Blog Entries

They should add an aluminum foil backing for a radiant barrier.

Blog Entries

Reflextix ( I forgot the name, google reminded me) That would work. I have tosee if I can find a source here.

It is boxed in now and bottom beads run - He is now finishing off the top beads to sturdy it up.

Jimmi comes today for Pay day even though they are working Friday. THe quote was for $800 labour - We will give him the $400.

Jimmi will also quote the placeing of the convitec on the outside wall today as well. So it may even be dryed in before we go which would be fantastic.

Convitec at Sinsa prices out @$46 for structural and $41 for covering. I think we only need covering as the steel does all the loading, but will ask Jimmi. There are 2 other places that have similar product. Will see what they charge as well.

Blog Entries

Went appliance snooping yesterday as well.

Stove, fridge, small chest freezer, AC, and washer.

Just starting the reasearch now.

It looks like units destined for CA have a different rating than SEER, it is an EER. It is a different but related scale. The difference is related to duty cycle. as this area an AC unit will have a cycle of almost 100% apparently an EER better expresses power usage.

Most of the units I see have a 17EER which equates to an SEER of 18 and change.

The kicker is the price. Most show a unit cost of 375 to 500 bucks but an almost equivalent amount of IVA tax - So 1K. Pricey, but will save in the long run for both size of solar install and amount of power we pull from the grid on rainy stretches'.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Went appliance snooping yesterday as well.

Stove, fridge, small chest freezer, AC, and washer.

Just starting the reasearch now.

It looks like units destined for CA have a different rating than SEER, it is an EER. It is a different but related scale. The difference is related to duty cycle. as this area an AC unit will have a cycle of almost 100% apparently an EER better expresses power usage.

Most of the units I see have a 17EER which equates to an SEER of 18 and change.

The kicker is the price. Most show a unit cost of 375 to 500 bucks but an almost equivalent amount of IVA tax - So 1K. Pricey, but will save in the long run for both size of solar install and amount of power we pull from the grid on rainy stretches'.

When did 100% IVA start? It wasn't like that a few years ago. Is it just on appliances and such? WTH?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    When did 100% IVA start? It wasn't like that a few years ago. Is it just on appliances and such? WTH?
    My guess it is only luxury items. IVA on hammers drills and welders were all on the order of 7 to 10%

Blog Entries

This was mid day Tuesday - Did not spend much time there - Will be back to the site in about an hour.

Blog Entries

Crap - Forgot to take a picture - Just a short video - Welding was done @ 10 - Painting has been ongoing until lunch (when I left) and the Maxalum starts this aft and may be done by tomorrow afternoon

Blog Entries

So Water....

About 3 yrs ago the contracted company was making noises that they did not want to supply the group any longer.

The story was that Enecal was accusing them (the contract company) of stealing water from Enecal's well. A bunch of trenches were dug, pipes revealed, yelling and screaming and viola the area had no water.

This all unraveled with the unhooking about 14 months ago. The group then went to Enecal for a hook up. Enacal agreeded and they came by to hook up to the main pipe and everyone's the off of the original feed. THe contract company did come in and took out all of the meters back so that was patched with straight pipe and every one has all the water they want.

Now for billing. Since there are no meters Enecal is just taking a flat rate from everyone in the compound @ 214 cord each a month. Now as we are building we do not have an active connection to the water. THe builders have just been using the BILs water as needed. But we still had an outstanding balance of 1400 cord. So on Tuesday we went to pay the bill. Chilo then showed the paid bill to her sister and she started complaining you have been robed, you have no connection, why did you pay, I would have never paid and on and on and on. I tried to explain to her that is is infrastructure and infrastructure costs if you use it or not. If we had a meter to nowhere we would not be paying as the meter would show zero. But it fell on deaf ears.

So once it comes time to have water hooked up we are all square.

Blog Entries

Well roof is skinned

Gaudi chimed in on structure for bracing , so a combination of Jimmi not being able to source a Convitec skinner, and the welders looking to stay on target before Semana Santa, we are going with boxing in the 3 rooms. The 3 rooms on the 2nd floor will give bracing to the structure in general. The center photo, with the hat, is looking towards the 2 bed rooms and the bath.

For the convitec, one of the biggest expenses appears to be the scaffolding. Scaffold rental is $C400 a day says Daniel. And they need 4 sets to get to the top. So Daniel is sourcing tubing and we will whip up some scaffolding over the next week. Daniel will then start renting it out.

So then Jimmi can take his time to find a skinner for the Convitech and once he does there is no hot rush to skin it with a time crunch of scaffold rental charges.

This now also moves focus to floor #1 where we now have to zero in on sink placement, routing to the 2nd floor and stove venting so they can finish the first floor floor in June/July.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-10-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Reflextix ( I forgot the name, google reminded me) That would work. I have to see if I can find a source here.

Oh yea Gaudi tells me Reflextix here is called Prodex He recalls $120 for 1.22m x 20m roll. So I will probably need 2 rolls if we just do the rooms, a little over 4 if we do the entire 2nd floor, which is quite plausible to somewhat control the sun beating down on that roof. The entire 2nd floor will get that vinyl roof ceiling - Bright white in the rooms for light reflection, fake wood fo the open area.

Additional posts are not bracing. Bracing is adding diagonal supports. If you take a look most steel buildings utilize round bar with threaded rods that form Xs across the walls and roof sections to add stiffness to the structure to resist racking loads such as from wind or earthquakes.

How tall are those walls are the eaves? Looks like that's going to be a hot box unless you put 2" R-Max in the ceilings or something similar. That foil faced bubble wrap isn't going to cut it. Suminsa can make polystyrene foam panels to any thickness although it makes me nervous putting that stuff in a bedroom if God forbid there was a fire.
    Last edited by billbudsocket; 04-10-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes - But the rooms will have horizontal 4" tubes about a foot down so some lateral bracing will be given by that until the convetech in in place - about 30 days out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbudsocket View Post
    How tall are those walls are the eaves? Looks like that's going to be a hot box unless you put 2" R-Max in the ceilings or something similar. That foil faced bubble wrap isn't going to cut it. Suminsa can make polystyrene foam panels to any thickness although it makes me nervous putting that stuff in a bedroom if God forbid there was a fire.
    Oh - forgot the 2nd half.

More than 1/2 of that 2nd floor (facing out to Coyotepe) will be a 4' knee wall. Re:fire - My thought as well hence no 120V lighting up there - just 12V LED.

Blog Entries

Me babbling on about the 2nd floor before the roof was put up..

Blog Entries

OK - Fellows took the left over 4" tubing and are welding in gussets on the corner beams until the Convitec application is figured out. These may stay or go depending on the install .

The room has the steel delivered and they will start painting / cutting / welding that this week.

Blog Entries

Well after a lot of inactivity Jimmi finally came back with a quote - 200,000 Cord (Over 5.5KUSD) . Not exactly 200,000 (so it did not sound made up) but it still sounds made up. This is JUST FOR LABOUR

Daniel thinks he is just fishing on this one only subcontracting someone to do the work.

I told Daniel to go to the distributors office (They have one in Masaya) and just ask for a list of people they know who to do the work.

I think also Jimmi is still padding the quote with the 400 cord a day scaffold rental - Daniel said he was going to build some scaffolding and so far there has not been any movement on that.

As well he (Daniel) sent a picture of how overgrown the yard has become - Chilo called him back angryly asking where the hell he has been for the past 3 months and avoiding calls. His retirement is just a series on naps, watching El Chavo, making juice in the blender and small this and that. Basically the antithesis of what I would want to do in retirement.

So it is going to be another 2 or 3 months before things start on the house again unless we are very very lucky - I think as a test we will ask the new person we find to do one or both of the upstairs rooms first in convintec, look at those results and then do two out side walls in two cycles. Probably the hip wall on the road side first.

Flights to Liberia are still stupid expensive @$900 CDN each - I had always thought a drive to Nicaragua would be significantly more expensive than a flight (To managua or Liberia) but now I am thinking it might be a wash when you figure parking and other nit picky items.

Still figuring on a mid to late Feb. departure.

"Flights to Liberia are still stupid expensive @$900 CDN each - I had always thought a drive to Nicaragua would be significantly more expensive than a flight (To managua or Liberia) but now I am thinking it might be a wash when you figure parking and other nit picky items."

Anything into Managua seems very expensive. From anywhere,, including Cuba.

If United and American begin flying,, it may change the name of the game.

This next trip I am going to try and get someone to take me from Palmolera to the Las Manos border by private vehicle. My thinking: much of the airport staff still lives in Tegus. They commute to Palmerola doing work they did in Tegus. At the very least there will be bus transport for the workers which I might be able to buy a seat on.

Shelley can then meet me on the Nica side of Las Manos so only one of us have deal with the border. I'm planning some time around mid or end of November so it will be much cooler too.

For someone in MGA Liberia or San Jose makes sense. But for those of us in the north,, it doesn't. Especially with prices to Palmerola as reasonable as they are.

KWP are there any rental car agencies at the Guasale border on either side? I'd give it a try if I could rent a car to try it out. I wouldn't want to cross at El Espino or Las Manos with a lots of luggage so that rules out those crossings for me. The aduana people at the Penas Blancas border are super laid back for the most part, I almost always end up paying something but its never more than ~$20 and its on the spot vs come back to the office and wait 8 hours + pay a minimum $75USD "convenience fee" like in Managua.

Quote Originally Posted by billbudsocket View Post
    KWP are there any rental car agencies at the Guasale border on either side? I'd give it a try if I could rent a car to try it out. I wouldn't want to cross at El Espino or Las Manos with a lots of luggage so that rules out those crossings for me. The aduana people at the Penas Blancas border are super laid back for the most part, I almost always end up paying something but its never more than ~$20 and its on the spot vs come back to the office and wait 8 hours + pay a minimum $75USD "convenience fee" like in Managua.

I like Guasaule too. There is no one in Migración or aduana,, and they are much easier to get along with.

Guasaule is a big commercial port,, so they are more set up for that.
    But,, it's a bit of a honk for us back to the farm, as opposed to Las Manos or Espino.

I would like to continue with a footprint here,, due to the changing political situation in Nicaragua.
    The key,, I think, for those who plan to stay and invest, is Nicaraguan citizenship.

Shelley and I are talking about one or two more trips, using our residency exonerations to get some stuff in, then relocating to somewhere around Miami,, for our footprint,, maybe the Florida Keys.

I haven't figured it out completely,, but am thinking of something like this *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9nibH4AugA

* Lots of details

The Thomas pushers are available in Tucson for $2500 in pretty decent condition.

The school districts are moving back to the "conventional" front engine school buses like the
    Bluebird because they are much easier to get around tight corners. Much easier to drive,, generally.

The pushers are heavier, smoother,, engine noise behind you, more spacious.
    Unfortunately,, for export,, the buses are less desirable as they don't have that all important rear door.
    The long wheel base makes them harder to get around tight corners.
    And they are all automatic transmissions.
    So,, lack of demand drives the lower price.

There is a website,, skoolie.net , that gets into the nitty gritty of the conversion and provides significant resources
    https://www.skoolie.net/forums/

Some other considerations:
    Although the bus can be re-registered as an RV in many states,, getting it from point A to B will require a CDL with endorsements.
    The fine for trying is high,, and the bus will sit by the side of the road until you find a driver with the necessary license if you are caught.

If you are going to buy a bus,, you want a west coast bus for the lack of rust underneath.

Blog Entries

So like always, after a dell time things move ahead

Jimmi's quote, as I mentioned before, was almost 6K - and that was just for labour before materials. So Jimmi has priced himself out of this phase, probably because he was farming out the work to another guy and padding the quote for himself.

Danial struck up a conversation with a neighbor that had a family member who is finishing a house in Casarea in the oceal in Convetec. That guy was back in Masaya for the holiday and quoted on the work - C$100,000 which is far more reasonable. 70 sheets of Convitec (@$36 ea) required and 100 bags of cement - so $2500 in Convetec and I guess the cement will throw us another 1K to 1200 total... So what's that? More or less like 7 to 8K total to dry it in.

The fellow is just finishing off the last of the ocean front house so should be ready first week of October to start.

Too bad the Canadian dollar is starting to waiver to the $US though - it will make the Canadian draw a bit higher than we wanted, but dried in will be soo cool. Cementing the first floor over Xmas and we will be ready to start finishing the interior for our Feb/Mar visit.

that's exciting! do you know if they will be renting a air compressor and sprayer or will they just trowel the cement over the covintec panel?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast