Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Up-to-date travel info

Blog Entries

Default Re: Up-to-date travel info

I don't think the States Vaccine records could ever be organized into a central database so figure the card is useless, but I got mine just in case.

Think some Countries will accept it in lieu of a test but not that many and certainly not Nica.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Welcome back to The Twilight Zone.

You got here just in time for the annual fly explosion,, probably the true indicator that the rainy season has finally arrived.

I know from previous posts that you didn't want to miss that.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Low point of the whole trip to and fro in 3 countries and 2 states was the Esteli Upoli hoodlums on the bus. They almost pushed the bus helper and my suitcase out the back door. Practice up on your jiu-jitsu or something if you want to enter or leave the bus at uno esquipulas.

Oh shit, is it national fly month already?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Lot of chatter on the CR expat pgs that requirements with Trawick have changed, seems you can no longer enter 0 as trip value, not seen how much this affects price. Cannot find any news stories to confirm, but seen several people talking about it, where there is smoke there tends to be fire. Something to keep in mind..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I bought Trawick last week for travel this last weekend through CR, with a $2500 deductible it was ~$6 for 6 days.

Blog Entries

Explain How, that was a last week deal.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I am passing on 2nd hand info because we get little 1st hand info, tell us how, not that you did this or that. How did you you do it? You seem to be doing it weekly and provide no info on how.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I am passing on 2nd hand info because we get little 1st hand info, tell us how, not that you did this or that. How did you you do it? You seem to be doing it weekly and provide no info on how.
    It's super easy. Go to https://portal.trawickinternational....ct/165?agent=1 , select your Origin country as Nicaragua, Destination country as CR, enter your date of birth. Click Get A Quote. Then on the 2nd screen just change the deductible amount, and click Buy. Their system is messed up and costs 100x much if you say you are in the USA or live in the USA but if you say you live in NI its super cheap. And no one in CR cares where you live. This past weekend when I was in CR migration, they were turning people away that didn't have 5 days minimum and checking if people had coverage for their entire trip.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Is the trick no one knows. Try and say from States and price is way different. Do 5 days no matter what, cost is same.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

How you beating it going back into Nica from USA? Or are you just doing back and forth to Nica / CR
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Trawick was slightly higher for the US transit for my age group. I glanced at the policy and it is not only a covid policy but a general travel policy so the cost of travel is important and unless you are walking the cost of travel will not be zero.

There are enough people getting screwed by complying with the rules that it doesn't make sense to tempt the Gods by skimping on the 5 day minimum.

Lotta weird things happen that COULD booby trap you. For for instance, I bought a RT thru Liberia for next year because it is cheap and there is a fair chance that covid will improve by next spring in CR. On United's website something briefly popped up saying my rt satisfied United for the forwarding passage, but that does not mean it would satisfy Tico customs because I did not have a years worth of insurance. Buy the $29 throw away Ticabus ticket and consider it just another travel tax.
    Or is it a fool tax? 2021 is a bad year for travel.

Stay home and see Nica first before the prices go up.

How you beating it going back into Nica from USA? Or are you just doing back and forth to Nica / CR
    I just do the same as when I am leaving Nicaragua. The policy has two fields, Home Country NI, Destination Country CR. and it's never been a problem. And it's easily explained away in either direction because I tell CR immigration that I'm going to the USA when going to the USA, or that I'm transiting their country to go to NI, both of which are true statements at the time I'm passing through CR immigration. Also I've never had anyone in CR even read the policy page, they only want the CR QR code printout which I have a paper copy of, and I keep the original PDF on my phone.

Blog Entries

Thanks for first hand knowledge.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Looks like AeroMexico resumed service as they said they would, a flight arrived from Mex City yesterday. Looked at the price and it was a bit of a shock but for West Coast folks may still be an option, albeit a pricey 1.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Tourist season winding down in CR and they are hungry, They are going to can the insurance for people who are vaccinated. They are even going to accept the CDC card. OK, mochileros, hit the cibercafes and start making copies...

Anywho , since both the tests and the vaccines are not real accurate, better to go for vaccine cards which are cheaper and easier in the long run. Bad science, maybe, but CDC is using the carrot to get people to vaccinate and CR is playing along. Maybe they have figured out that tourists will simply deduct the covid test costs from their vacation budget and spend less in CR. CR spike is going down, maybe in a month it will be back to April levels. They are beefing up their vaccine program.

Minsa says Nic is on a steady rise, but the numbers are low. Medical personnel getting hit hard. My wife and a neighbor signed up for the shot at the local clinic. This weeks phone call never came.

Plan on covid being a big deal in the region for calendar 2021 and 2022, with the possible exception of CR.

Blog Entries

The Backpackers were cutting and pasting on the tests for months, lots have been busted.

I guess I need to get my card laminated before I am in a downpour somewhere.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Lamination can invalidate a document. There are plastic sleeves available for the CDC card.

Looks like AeroMexico resumed service as they said they would, a flight arrived from Mex City yesterday. Looked at the price and it was a bit of a shock but for West Coast folks may still be an option, albeit a pricey 1.

Yes, I was really surprised at the AeroMexico prices too.
    Even arranging something to and from northern Mexico was pricey.

Accepting proof of vaccination puts CR in line with Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador.
    Nicaragua remains the fly in the soup.

If some lab in Liberia would do a PCR test for a reasonable amount,, like the $50 at Choluteca . . . .
    The haul to San Jose seems to be excessive, but if you are on the bus,, so what ??
    I have another friend who chose San Jose over Liberia because of the cheaper flights available.

We're so far north that going north makes more sense. Tegus or San Pedro Sula. Shelley has her colilla and has been promised her residency by end of this month, or next. We are both anxious to try leaving and returning in the Mahindra. She is getting better and better at managing her interactions with officials.

We all thought that this would be over by now,, and I guess that in the US it is,, mostly. Critical Race Theory and immigration -- (the Biden administrations has announced that no woman pregnant, post partum, or nursing will be detained)-- ,,,, has replaced Covid as the focus for the mid terms.

The 2022 mid term will be a definitive turning point in our country's history.
    Less that Biden was elected, but what happens in 2022

In Nicaragua the fickle finger of Covid still continues to point: A friend of a friend died two weeks ago,, a young doctor, in his early thirties, in Estelí.
    But, far more Nicaraguans have my experience: get sick for a couple of weeks, then get better.

I don't understand why, but I have noticed that this year there is much less of the seasonal flu, and lighter cases. Could a more active immune system be the answer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Lamination can invalidate a document. There are plastic sleeves available for the CDC card.

How Valid is it unlaminated???
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Exactly - Until there is a passport database column entered for vaccination status is pretty well the certificate is only valid in your own country and maybe the associated land borders with that specific country.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Funny story

Our certificates are printed after the shot and also emailed or texted to you. The original is on thermal paper. One of the tech's at work brought the certificate to my Daughter who works reception at work. She laminated it and they both watched in horror as the certificate exited the machine all black

But the fellow still had his emailed copy which he reprinted and laminated that one.

Side note: Daughter also was asked to apply for, and got, a position with HR which she starts in September.

Blog Entries

I did mine at CVS Pharmacy And they sent a nice, detailed email. Has some Dr name, this, that, & the other.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I wrote this before but States will never be able to get it under control, everyone from City Parks to Indian Tribes were giving it, then throw in FEMA and you know you got a mess.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I wrote this before but States will never be able to get it under control, everyone from City Parks to Indian Tribes were giving it, then throw in FEMA and you know you got a mess.
    Vaccines in Canada are a provincial responsibility but federal government negotiated the bulk buys and distributes the shipments. As the billing is to one source (the provincial government) all the records are centralised for the federal government to put in a passport database should someone decide to do so.

I think they say that to maintain some capacity to inspect the document for fraud.

I have a laminated social security card that says,,
    "Do Not Laminate" on it,, the lamination is turning yellow after 20 years.

No one who has asked for it has given it a second glance.

There seems to be some serous reluctance in our country to identify our citizens.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast