Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Burial is an interesting thing. I told my wife I want to be buried in my pickup truck like a Viking king in his warship. She got all pissy. I told her that I wanted to be buried face down so the whole world could kiss my rear end. She made obscene remarks. I told her if she buries me in Esteli my spirit would come back to haunt her at 0300 everyday. That put the fear in her.
    jeje.

I talked to a neighbor who bought plots in a local private cemetery. He paid $600 per person but it is only a 30 year lease. After 30 years somebody pays up again or they dig up the remains and plant them somewhere else. sounds kinda chinzy.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    I talked to a neighbor who bought plots in a local private cemetery. He paid $600 per person but it is only a 30 year lease. After 30 years somebody pays up again or they dig up the remains and plant them somewhere else. sounds kinda chinzy.
    Chilo's father is buried in Occidental in the north west of Managua. We went to pay the lease in 2004 for 10 yrs - It was something like 100cord for the 10 yrs. Then we went in 2012 and we paid 2014 up but we were limited to 5 yrs at that time and it was 500 cord (2015 to 2020) . We paid again in 2017 for another 5 yrs (2020 to 2025), I can not recall the rate but it was significantly higher.

Up here in Canuckistan a cemetery is preserved for 100 yrs after the last burial - After that a Tim Horton's and Canadian tire can be built upon the ground.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Back in my motorcycle racing days, friend was killed in his pickup, hauling his bike to a race.
    Found out later that he had recently told his wife that he wanted to be buried with his bike.
    So.....she did!
    The whole incident just broke my heart......to think that a perfectly good Husqvarna was buried.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar

Burial is an interesting thing. I told my wife I want to be buried in my pickup truck like a Viking king in his warship. She got all pissy. I told her that I wanted to be buried face down so the whole world could kiss my rear end. She made obscene remarks. I told her if she buries me in Esteli my spirit would come back to haunt her at 0300 everyday. That put the fear in her.
    jeje.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Back in my motorcycle racing days, friend was killed in his pickup, hauling his bike to a race.
    Found out later that he had recently told his wife that he wanted to be buried with his bike.
    So.....she did!
    The whole incident just broke my heart......to think that a perfectly good Husqvarna was buried.
    He probably figured,, "someone may very well ride my wife, but he sure as hell isn't going to ride my bike!"

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    He probably figured,, "someone may very well ride my wife, but he sure as hell isn't going to ride my bike!"
    ain't that the truth

jeje.

As a kid in CDMX my bus ride to school would run along the east end of a great big park going into the Tacubaya section of the city. There is a huge cemetery there, that had been there, from what I understand, since about the 1600's or so. It was a big ass one. During the Day of the Dead week it be flowered up like nothing I have ever seen. Well this cemetery backed up to a large barranca that dropped off pretty steep. As you made one of the turns in the road that ran along the park you could see that barranca and a few times a year they would dig up graves and just dump the coffins and what looked like burial wraps in that barranca, I shit everyone not. We would all look at it through the bus windows agog with goosebumps galore. I asked my my mom about about it and she confirmed the deal.

I heard about histrionics emitted by the unearthed's relatives and all other kinds of spooky shit. I know at different times I have seen articles in the salacious Latin American "alarm" type newspapers of dug up coffins and such. Really wild that this shit goes on.

Blog Entries

Well yesterday the Biden administration decided to keep both the Canadian and Mexican border closed to non (US) nationals so the drive down to Nicaragua is pretty well kyboshed for 2021 but it was not expected.

Chilo is happy, my Mom is happy, me - Disappointed.

Our pretty-boy got re-elected yesterday. The numbers in the house are pretty well the same with a seat won here and lost there make it almost exactly the same as when parliament was dissolved Aug 13.

Many believe, myself included, is that provincial premier Jason Kenny (Alberta, Conservative) who went on an open for business, no masking indoors, tear at the end June beginning July is responsible for the higest infection rates ever seen in Alberta. People are being sent out of province now to Ontario (3 hour jet ride away) as there are no beds for even heart attack and stroke let alone electives or scheduled urgency (Cancer et al)

The boogie man created by him ate up the federal lead of the conservatives in the important places (Toronto area, some Quebec, 5 seats in the Atlantic provinces)

In our riding I had the fortune to telling extended family who to vote for
    Family: who do we vote for?
    Bill: Read their platforms and choose
    Family: Too much work
    Bill:<shug> Tyler Calver (Conservative)

Our guy came is currently in 2nd at 600 and some votes behind Trudeau's patsy. They are counting the mail in (e.g. Me!)

One riding over a greenie won (Kitchener Center)

Bill, you could always have your vehicle towed into the USA and then you fly to the US and go from there in your vehicle. There are folks on the FB Pan Am groups that have successfully done this on the Pacific side. Sounds goofy but people are doing it.

Edited to add... found a relevant post for your area:

"There is a company in Kitchener Great Lakes helicopter…the will drive your car to Buffalo and fly you in."
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1671...43869095678407
    Last edited by billbudsocket; 09-21-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanx ... But .. $3000

As my wife would say "Yo no Cagar Dinero"
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 09-21-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    As my wife would say "Yo no Cagar Dinero"
    Brings back to mind the first Spanish sentence I learned:
    "Cuando la mierda tenga el valor del oro, los pobres naceran sin culos."
    My teacher was a fellow volunteer for Peace Corps. He was from Puerto Rico. We were 'staging' in Miami before our flight to Quito. I wrote it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Brings back to mind the first Spanish sentence I learned:
    "Cuando la mierda tenga el valor del oro, los pobres naceran sin culos."
    My teacher was a fellow volunteer for Peace Corps. He was from Puerto Rico. We were 'staging' in Miami before our flight to Quito. I wrote it down.

The dicho should read,,
    "Cuando la mierda tiene algún valor,, etc, etc "

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    The dicho should read,,
    "Cuando la mierda tiene algún valor,, etc, etc "
    No Pirate, tenga is the correct verb form. It's subjunctive, the verb tense expressing wishes, suggestions, or desires. In contrast to many other languages, English does not have a specifically subjunctive verb form. Check out the conjugation of 'tener' - tenga la bondad de hacerlo.
    The guy didn't steer us wrong.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    No Pirate, tenga is the correct verb form. It's subjunctive, the verb tense expressing wishes, suggestions, or desires. In contrast to many other languages, English does not have a specifically subjunctive verb form. Check out the conjugation of 'tener' - tenga la bondad de hacerlo.
    The guy didn't steer us wrong.
    Yes, of course you are right.
    My point was more to contrast "valor de oro" with "any value at all"
    Is poor a state of mind? A choice? Decisions? Attitude you pick up from parents?
    Clearly, it's generational, but some people step up and do what is needed to break the cycle.

I lost a worker this week. He's heading al Norte.
    Bad time, he should have gone in January.

But, my attempts to make a buck here have changed some of my perceptions. Success is a harder to achieve reality here. I've always had successful businesses; here it's harder. Or maybe I've lost my edge.

In all fairness,, I've suffered a lot of
    "distractions",
    side adventures that have cost me focus.

I've had some success with cows, but I don't want the chore of daily milking. And with what I pay my labor, I don't believe there is any profit in the milk.
    Buying is tricky right now, as I believe that if there is any sanctions after November, Nicaraguan beef will be at the head of the list.

Coffee is an obvious choice, and I've always wanted to grow coffee. It's a long haul, and a long term investment.

No one here fertilizes or, irrigates their coffee.
    It grows by the grace of God.
    I've always felt I could do better.
    Could I?

Coffee pickers (or cutters) will be a future problem. Tobacco has sucked up a huge amount of the cheap, casual labor around Condega and Estelí. It's been a huge stimulus to the economy. It doesn't pay much, but it's consistent money and entry requires minimal skills.

Or. I could just veg, enjoy the beautiful views, and sell a lot once a year.

The living is good here.

Blog Entries

I came here to retire. Unless you are a drunk, missionary, or skirt chaser that is a bad reason to be here. Better to come, focus on profit, and make Nic. pay you for being here and pay for your vacations abroad. And pay for your vigilante and driver and housekeeper.

The best businesses here are the ones somebody inherits. No start-up costs, just grow the business or run it into the ground, your choice. To buy into property you are facing an uphill battle for ROI.

I came here to retire. Unless you are a drunk, missionary, or skirt chaser that is a bad reason to be here. Better to come, focus on profit, and make Nic. pay you for being here and pay for your vacations abroad. And pay for your vigilante and driver and housekeeper.

The best businesses here are the ones somebody inherits. No start-up costs, just grow the business or run it into the ground, your choice. To buy into property you are facing an uphill battle for ROI.

If you're a drunk, it seems like that there are plenty of places in the US to live cheaply, and a lot of services to subsidize your preference.
    Food stamps, free medical, free food,

If you are a dedicated skirt chaser,, the Phillipines or Thailand?
    Even Honduras would be better than Nicaragua.

A missionary is good to go anywhere.

But,, why do you have to choose?
    Be all three.

Property in the Nicaragua north has seen some serious appreciation.
    Lots that were $10K are now 25.
    The stretch between Estelí and Condega on the Pan Am has exploded with development of all sorts.
    We're not talking SJdS money here, but I just can't see you losing money as long as you buy carefully.

The paved road to Yalí from Condega will open up that piece of the north.
    Beautiful views.
    Coffee country,
    There is easy access to MiraFlor from the NE, easier than from Estelí.

Covid and Daniel can't last forever.

Blog Entries

Lotta roads opening up. esteli to la concordia has been there for years, little development. except a couple restaurants and lotificaciones without houses. Let them sit long enough and somebody will steel everything and run with the money. esteli-tisey-san nicolas being paved. Panam to limay paved, except for the bridge which they are working on. Too much land, too few buyers. What little is happening is remittances and Managua money, not big stupid gringo money.

Esteli-miraflor road has gone to crap while they are working on points north and west. North could blossom on 10-20 year hold if nothing goes wrong. jejeje.

I think the money future in the north is in big commercial agriculture that will destroy the QOL and in catering to the remesas elites.

Blog Entries

In Masaya good ol Don Bayardo caught it and has passed away.

Don Bayardo was a feisty old man with his trusty old Nissan Patrol wrecker picking up cars here and there either taking them to other repair shops or bringing them to his shop to work on. I always watched in awe as DN/DS would send in a crew to disconnect the electricity and he would fire up the Patrol to back up to the pole, climb up the tow crane on the wrecker and shimmy up the pole to reconnect the electricity.

Beside my SIL is _her_ MIL. Mother on Humberto, who died of an aneurism in 2006. She currently lives with 4 grand children from various other adult children. The oldest (Guadalupe who works in a law office in Granada) states they "all have it save for herself. This is bad for the Patriarch as she is quite elderly and frail. Her husband died about 10 yrs ago now, it was the funeral we missed by a couple weeks where Aleman attended I wrote about all those years ago.

The thing is that (SIL) Marta was over there (to their home) yesterday and then asked Daniel over for breakfast today and casually mentioned the visits and the infections. Daniel is pissed and left quickly - Even though he (and Marta) have both shots he is not looking to take any chances these days.

The thing is that (SIL) Marta was over there (to their home) yesterday and then asked Daniel over for breakfast today and casually mentioned the visits and the infections. Daniel is pissed and left quickly - Even though he (and Marta) have both shots he is not looking to take any chances these days.

And he's right.
    Breakthrough infections are accounting for 40% of the new cases in some areas.

Supposedly,, you don't get as sick,, have less chance of hospitalization, and don't die as frequently,,

But some do all of the above.

There was a touching story about an older couple, pulled off life support (lungs shot ??),
    who died within minutes of each other, holding hands. Both vaccinated.

Epoch Times was the source as I remember.
    Joe has been promised a couple dip of ice cream and a longer nap if he fixes this before the mid terms.

Good luck,, Joe.

Blog Entries

Pretty fun day on the 4th - Whatsapp being down (Along with the other two) apparently put family in Niclandia in a bit of a spot - Not sure if everyone was down, but I guess it was most. Up here it was all toast that is for sure.

Initial media reports say that the DNS entries for all of FB's products was dropped. This is the lookup engine from where your text in the address bar is decoded to either an IPV4 or (more likely) IPV6 numerical address to find it on the inter weebs.

Visited Dad on Sunday - His DVD player died and we had an unused Blu-ray so we dropped it off. He has 4 Jamaicans still here. One of them tested positive mid last week so he (the one tested positive) was quarantined to one trailer, another to another trailer and the remaining 2 have rooms at the Best Western in town. Best guess is that the couple from Toronto, that runs a Jamaican food truck and visits farms in the Simcoe area with Jamaican foods, was the most likely conduit. Mind you they guys only work 8 hours a day this time of year and bike between farms to socialize with other country men so it could be there as well. The Guys work 12 to 16 hours a day in peak season just to stuff themselves with all the cash they can to go home.

There is talk that unvaccinated Farm Workers will not be allowed in in 2022 so Dad is worried that most of his guys will not come next year as many Rasta's are not interestd in the Jab.

The Chia farm is back to 28 years but there are 7 unprocessed "seeds" that have yet to sync (Long story, literally - A new computer running the same "key" takes about a week to synchronize and show in the running total - I hope it is fully synced by the weekend. I did buy a mid marked NVME v.2 SSD drive and will plunk one of those in one of the PCs and will see if it can bump me up to 5 or so seeds a day from the current 2 - This may get me a coin this year - It cost me another $75 Canadian to do that - Enough cash in the Chia pet and we will let it chug for now.

3D printing is going nice - I still have issue with those moss poles, I will try printing with supports tonight - But almost everything else is good - Storage trays for Chilo cosmetics - Stands for tablets , stands for Ryobi battery holders - Holders for the SD cards for the printer - e-chain for the cables - Holders for power supplies for lighting the trays and so on and so on. Printing is fun and now I need to focus on printing some money in the form of saleable items now that I understand bed temperatures, feed rates, retraction et al - Well enough to screw things up.

Monday is out turkey day so with the statuary day off we are going to pad it up to a full week with Chilo and I driving up to see the leaves that have turned colour a couple 100 mils north. as well

Blog Entries

Good ol' dog died on the 6th - Angel was her name - 17yrs old, she was.

Chilo needed some consolation after Rosa (her Mother) passed away in 2004 - In 2005 we got Angel - A little Sheltie Poodle. She would spin and spin and spin...

The last year was rough on her - She had a bout of lethargy lasting about a month in summer 2020 and it probably would have been better to let her go then.. Photo below is "dog" with me just before C-19 hit. It pissed Chilo off immensely that she (the dog) would snuggle up on the couch with me and not her.

Dad had told me how the Pneumonia vaccine had cleared up the constant hacking he has had for as long as I can recall - I have that hack as well. A constant frog in the throat with 2 or 3 good chunks coughed a day (Sorry for the visual). We both have needed hospitalization for Pneumonia over the years (me as a child and teens, my Dad in his teens 20's and 30's)

Called the Dr's office Friday (last) for an appointment today . I talked to him for a bit and he faxed off the Rx to the local pharmacy and I can go have it done. For over 50 it is 2 shots - One the newborn dose and then the adult dose a few weeks later. It is of no charge to people over 5o in On-scare-e-o.

This is the first time I had seen him (the Dr) since all the ruckus has started (C-19) - At that time it was a sore shoulder and he sent me off with a physio letter after some ultrasound showed my shoulder had no issues. I did not make an appointment during C-19 as it went away but recently came back. Lost the paper he gave last time, so he reprinted the letter so I can arrange an appointment - It is not covered here under the provincial plan so I have to pay but the plan at works covers a good part.

He also wrote me up for a suite of blood work as I am now 55. I did not even need to pay parking which is typically $3 - The gates were up.

If I understand correctly my Dr gets $35 a month for me being on his roster and $65 for the visit today and something like $5 each for the two sheets he printed me. He is in a "Pod" of 10 exam rooms in a really nice building downtown. I believe there are 8 Dr's using the 10 rooms with different day use of the rooms as their hospital visit days rotate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 10-07-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Hard to lose someone like that.
    We had a dog of 17 years, picked it up as a stray pup in Mexico.

His mother was shot in the annual "Clean up the strays"

We got Flojo early enough that he imprinted Human, never believed that he was a dog.
    Very rarely barked. Bathed him in the tub once a week.
    I could tell endless stories,, as I'm sure you could

We've never had a dog since.

Blog Entries

So I finally got this Chia stuff figured out enough to the dangerous.

Part of the lesson is the old idea of Mennonite collectives. It seems you can "Pool" your farm with other farmers and then split in the coin winnings when they occur. I did get 26 of those plots together over the past 3 weeks and now have a set up that gets me 3 new plots a day. Those 26 plots I have outside the pool have the statistical chance of one coin in 8 years

One small issue is that you have to start a plot with the "Collective" switch turned on - So as of now I only have 3 plots that are in the pool. Most pools show $10 to $15 (equivalent) for 100 plots each month - It is based on a points tally - As each proof of time and space hits your computer and is compared it goes to a tally of "points" . Every time the pool hits a coin, the coin is distributed by the points tally of the users on that day. They say a healthy connection is 10 points, per day, per plot. So far I seem to be hitting that number. The stats for the pool says they win 5 to 25 coins a day but 18000 people in the pool. Humm 18,000 people in the pool - Hope they use enough bleach.

Some time was lost trying to get a 500gb NVME M.2 drive to work. It did not, my guess is that the PC may be too old for that particular drive. Ubuntu finds the drives, identifies it correctly with SN and all but when the drive is set to use it just drops out. So I just dropped $50 500gb SSD drive - It will only last 6 months to a year because of the sustained writes , but maybe if I get some payouts from this farming. After some signs of life in the payouts I may buy a surplus 1U server - One stuffed with 2- 6 core - 12 thread Xeons and 32GB of memory and just it chug to make these plots - They can be picked up for under $300

I now have two Ender 3 pro printers going - Printing a whole bunch of stuff after making a bunch of scrap. I can print off one of those moss pols a day, which my Sister has 3 for sale and sold 2. (I have 10% of one of the printers paid ) Printed up Tablet stands, remote control holders, a makeup/lipstick tray for Chilo and the obligatory parts to improve the printer. Right now I am wiring one up for a Raspberry Pi and Octoprint - I have a second Pi for the second printer when all of the bugs are worked out from that. You can even browse in on what your printer is doing with Octoprint from your phone and check on prints with your PC tablet or phone with a camera mounted with , you guessed it , printed parts.

Did get the first pneumonia shot, it was covered by work insurance but was still $10 for the pharmacist dispense fee and $15 for the actual shot - the second will be in 8 weeks . It made me realise that once I stop full time work so will my benefits so we will probably do some others like the shingles shot as well.

This was the first time I went to a lab since all of the lunacy started. Back in the 90's a visit to the lab was a chore - Big hall, sea of chairs, and an entire morning wasted waiting with your number. Then the government started giving bonuses for both efficiency and accuracy to all the subcontracted labs. Up until 2019 (the last time I went for blood work) you would enter, show your health card, take a seat, your first name would pop on a screen and within 15 min you were in and 5 min later out. 30 min tops on a bad day Today (a Saturday) it took 20 min to get a chair with the 6' rule and then another 10 to get a seat with the nurse and out in 5min. The labs have been given the leeway for an interesting (kinda) scam. For $29.95 a year you can get access to your lab results 4 hours after they have been transmitted to your Dr. Sounds kinda cheesy, but people must pay it. I did not.

Chilo was saying that one of Carlos Mejia's brothers died, not sure if it was covid or not. Remembered running into Carlos at MGA in 2010 - He was getting there for a flight just after we arrived off of ours. Marta and Chilo were peppering them with questions. Man did he have a Buxom "assistant" yea assitant that is what she must have been.

We have a used, multigenerational, hot tub. What is that you ask?

Well it was a 1987 hot tub, that we were given in '03 and it ran for about 5 years until it had a spa pack fail (pump heater etc) so I buy a new spa pack, but then the next year the pool itself fails. So then I get commanded to find another tub. A year later I find a tub with a cracked bottom foot well for $20 bucks. So I grind off the bottom by 1/2 and re-glass it , plumb it up and off it goes for another 6 years until 24 months ago when a bunch of the jets fail within 3 months. I manage to find new equivalent jets and get it all together but still had a mysterious leak. That leak was (I hope) found and fixed today and it is now getting a 3 bottle of bleach shock treatment, a level check and then a drain overnight. A refill tomorrow with the water to be heated, if all is well.

Blog Entries

So the pool is starting to pay

Sunday it was 0.007 cents $US

Today it was 1.95 cents US

Now while that LOOKS like geometric progression it is not - I still only have 5 plots of the 30 total within the pool and that is split two ways - "My pool" with 3 plots and "The pool" plots" with two.

Reading and googling further over the past two days it looks like you are best to preserve "your" pool and attach them to "other pools" as circumstances dictate rather that attaching a bunch of your plots to "some pool somewhere".

I'll toss a couple plots to my pool (attached to the bigger pool) and a couple to the "some pool somewhere"over the next week just to test out the theory.

I may still drop the $300 on the 1U server mentioned above as it _should_ be able to spit out 5 plots a day along with the 1.5 to 2 on the PC currently running. I found out 3 plots a day on the old PC was a no go when the last plot died early Monday because of a disk space overrun - So it is 1.5 to 2.5 on that old PC.

Way back - Like fall 1990 time scale 6 months after our first date - The wife of my boss at the time (The Marine repair company I mentioned in past) worked at Life Labs. They (Life Labs) had a policy where the SWAG (Sports tickets, gifts, prizes) the company received would be given to their employees - She got rink level seats for the Toronto Maple Leafs and they were in turn gifted to Chilo and I. I can not tell you what they worth then, but from the story I will relate here they would be worth a lot today from what I found.

So Chilo reminds me every year or so on how I took her to a Hockey game in Toronto when we were "poor" and now we have some (meager) resources I never take her to the Toronto Maple leafs game. Contextualise this with our eldest daughter, who is now a major Toronto Maple Leafs hockey fan, and has never attended anything more than a local Kitchener rangers game.

This past Saturday was the opening season of Hockey Night in Canada. It is broadcast every Saturday night, and watched by most Canadian households. While we were watching that game last Saturday I had an idea and quickly googles and checked. We could watch a hockey game with the team in the national capitol, Ottawa, (About 6 hours away) and get a hotel room, and pay for gas, and pay for dinner, for about half of what similar tickets would be for a game in Toronto.

So on Nov 6 we are driving to Ottawa and watching Ottawa play Tampa Bay for $68 ticket vs $448 for a similar ticket to watch Toronto.

Today - those Gold level tickets we were gifted in 1990 - are worth $1300 each re: the Nov 6 game in Toronto.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011