Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Too soon old.....too late smart, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Too soon old.....too late smart, eh?
    I'm dumber than I used to be, by far, but everything hurts more.

I remember that 50 foot cliff face over the Colorado river.
    Sadly, one of the guys who used to jump with me is gone. A health nut who got up at 5am every morning for a bike ride , had a stroke on his way back (downhill) veered off the road and hit a road sign at 40 per.

The other, barely functional after a life of excessive drinking and smoking, now lives in a recliner.

Life is a curious thing.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I'm dumber than I used to be, by far, but everything hurts more.
    My typical saying is "I was young and stupid then - I'm older now "
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

SIL Herminia and Oscar had their youngest marry last light. The Groom is from Trinidad (well his parents are) and was born in Canada. Bianca (Herminia's daughter) was born in the US when Oscar and Herminia were "excluded" from canada in the early 90's - Excluded , at the time, was like deportation light where the case could be appealed, just not from within Canada - They lived in Lakawana NY for the 3 yrs that took... But Anyways, where was I going with this.

Well Freddy and Wilma came up for the wedding. Freddy was far up the FSLN ladder in Boaco - Or at least that is what I was told. They have a nice house, much nicer that we could ever hope to build just out side of town, and just down the street from one of the local FSLN capos.

Anyways - Freddy was railing on DOS the entire evening calling him crazy with power and stupid to the nth degree. It really shocked me on how much he railed being that he is FSLN - Mind you Chilo tells me he is the "FSLN for stuff" wing or as you Yanks would say - a RINO equivalent - But still I was surprised.

Freddy and Wilma came up here in the late 80's and had 4 kids - Unfortunately one drowned on a day trip to a local conservation area. We were there that day but had gone home an hour or so before the tragedy and then another son killed himself in '00 or '01. After that they left Ontario for Miami where they got in the clothing business with a store in the Miami area and another in Boaco and they ferried stuffs back and forth to both stores intermittently returning to Ontario mostly for healthcare.

Chilo said their store was open until just a few months after Apr 2018 when the bottom fell out of the clothes market and they closed shop.

Freddy was pretty surprised I knew about the closing of La Prensa and the arrest of Healy

I finally got the last bit for road safety item done for the Galloper. Looks like the previous owner left a wire harness hanging loose and the wires for the licence plate bulbs broke. As well the power cable to the rear wiper power wire as well. That is all tied up now. So now I just need to reassemble all of the panels and get it to the mechanic.

Looking at the truck, it is apparent that getting a Galloper for Niclandia is not really the best option , the assembly materials are just not up to snuff with Toyota. I am almost completely convinced now we need to find a Prado or Hilux when we get down there more permanently.

Frost on the roof tops whit AM - We were one degree short of freezing overnight, but we have yet to have to turn on the heat which is odd. We typically turn on the gas fireplace around the 2nd week of OCtober.

Blog Entries

Ah the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not a train..

Full restaurant occupancy we re-introduced last week, we no longer need to ware masks when we sit at our desks and the mandatory temperature taking is suspended now at the beginning of the work day.

Is it almost (whispering) over??

Ontario had 304 cases Saturday. Vaccinated hospitalizations are fraction of percentages (of the 14M residents) while the remaining 15% holdouts make up the majority of the hospitalizations. It looks like this ratio of vaccinated vs unvaccinated vs hospital occupancy is something that can be a workable management framework for the remaining C-19 infection.

If everything works out , Mar 2022 all public health rules WRT C-19 will be rescinded.

The Galloper is still plugging along - I got most of the interior back together. The power windows not working was traced to a couple broken wires between the door and A-pillar. It is a F*cking bear to get in there though. I may even need to pull the door to fix it Raza fraza figging fugging.

The first threat of snow has been made - Wed morning if the stars and clouds align. This is odd as we have yet to have the "Killer" frost which usually hits between mid Sept and Mid Oct.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So the pool is starting to pay

Sunday it was 0.007 cents $US

Today it was 1.95 cents US

Now while that LOOKS like geometric progression it is not - I still only have 5 plots of the 30 total within the pool and that is split two ways - "My pool" with 3 plots and "The pool" plots" with two.
    So what was the Oct 19th to today - 15 days or so?

I am now "Up to" 34 cents- The pool does not physically "pay out" (deposit a part of a chia coin to my wallet) until I have 0.01 of a chia coin - About $1.50 US.

a 17.5 times increase in 15 days.

At the moment I have 10 plots in "my" pool, attached to the "plots pool" and 9 plots in "the pool pool" plots. So each is about 16 cents. total and about 1.6 cents a day.

I found some menu settings to speed the plot rate to one plot every 13 hours. I am popping 5 in one pool "job" that spans in a 2.5 days to one pool and then to the other. I should have 9TB of plots by end Nov. (About 85 to 90)

There were some funny software glitches that caused me to loose 2 plots and a hiccup where it lost connection to the network for 12 hours - But so far so good.

We had the first "real" frost today - Truck was iced over to windshield scraper level. The grass was crunchie and the roofs were all frost covered. There is a threat of wet snow/rain today.

Spoke to a high school buddy last night. He was born in NZ, grew up in Canada, went to live in BC in the late 80's. I drove the truck with his and his parents belongings to Vancouver island. Even a Sky hopper 150 kit built plane - It had a Lycoming 4 and while it was a wood spec Kit, it was all welded up in tube. He moved back to NZ after a stint in the Cdn Army in '95

He has been a career student with a job here and a job there ever since. Recently he fell into elder care at a NZ elder care home. He has been there for 2.5 yrs IIUC. He is a staunch Anti Vaxer (Covid) does not believe in the numbers, the PCR test, the use of masks and even buys in the Fauchi stories. He has been given notice he will be terminated in 2 weeks because of his vaccination status.

I do admire his resolve though. Although he was not impressed that I commended for his dedication to his decision rather than (I assumed what he was telling me between his words) sympathy for his plight. We agreed to disagree and assume he will call me again in a couple years after all this has blown over.

After he went to Pacific Sheepstanistan he routinely disappears for a year to 24 months just to make contact again and we chat.

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 11-03-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries

So we got up to Ottawa without issue - 1050K full circle.

The ride to Ottawa was via the venerable 401 which passes over the top 2/3 of Toronto. Because it was a Saturday morning it was a pretty uneventful trip of a typical 2 hour passage through toronto to a 35ish min. The total was 4h30m to get to our Hotel. The Prado passes 150,000km on that leg as well.

The "hotel", if you could call it that, was pretty cool. It is more of an Air BNB , but we did book it through Hotels.com. It is a town/row house of 22 / 23 foot wide and maybe 30foot deep. The second floor had 3 rooms. One larger room with an ensuite (the room we had) and two other rooms that used the common bathroom onthe 2nd floor. The first floor was a common area with a seating area, TV and an open Kitchen with some basic breakfast goods (waffles, yoghurt, pop tarts et al) and then there was a stairs to the basement for another room which by the sounds of it is meant more for families.

It was $95 CDN (So $75US) for a night.

When we arrived a lady with a thick Russian accent was cleaning our room. We spoke to her a bit and found she was the owner and went over how she got the permits and such.

The reason I mention that hotel stuff is that it could be same thing we do with our house. If we could "Hotel" the main floor for most of the year it will make things easier.

The Game itself was fun - We had to show the vaccine QR code and ID to get in. Beer was $11.50 so ouch there. The local team lost, Tampa won - But they, Tampa, were the better team by far. The game was done by 5 and we went for dinner.

We used Uber to both get from the Hotel to the Game and from the restaurant back to the Hotel.

The guy who took us out t the game was not very talkative but the guy who picked us up was. He was from Kuwait and arrived about a year and a half ago. He talked his recent geography and history lessons from citizenship school. He knew his stuff. I asked what he thought of -30C and he said it was far better than +46C to +50C which I found surprising. it was $12 approx for each ride.

The next morning we parked in what you could say is the safest area of Ottawa - Right in front of the US embassy . It is an area called the Bayward Market.

We had Breakfast within sight of the capitol block.

We also went to the national war memorial. (Picture below) There is a tomb of the unknown solder like yours and there are guards. On a sad fall morning in 2014 an idiot with a rifle shot one of the sentries and killed him before running to the capitol block where the perp was taken down. Since then there has been a police detail to watch over the watchers. We spoke to them for a bit (The poilcemen) before going back to the truck and drove out of Ottawa.

We took the Trans Canada back (Highway 7) which actually passes right buy our house. But as it passes through city streets and stop light a good amount was on the toll version (407) which set us back about $35 bucks but saved us an hour of more of Hellish Toronto bumper to bumper traffic.

We pulled into the house around 5 on Sunday.

Gas up here is about $1.44 / L ($4.60USgal) and we spent $216 (176US) on Gas $130 for tickets, $95 for the hotel, $100 dinner, $25 for Breakfast. So About $590 for the entire weekend while Toronto game would have been $900 _before_ the gas, dinner hotel et al..

Not bad.

We may do another game in the new year, possibly Buffalo, if the Neg PCR test is dropped to come back. We can visit the US as of today by land border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So clean!

I wish I'd spent more time in Canada. Not going to happen now.

One annoyance of driving in Mexico is the tolls.
    You will spend more on toll fees, than on gas.

There are a few free roads that you can make some time on, but for the most part, off the toll roads it's an endless parade of small towns, pot holed roads, and endless speed bumps.
    Picturesque to a point, the road through Tequila, RosaMorada, but you can't make any real time.

And, you become a bit of a target.
    The autopistas are well patrolled and are safe.

Blog Entries

So the Chia stuff is still progressing

For Pool #1 (My own plots in my own pool) now has 23 plots and pays out (on avarage) 0.00044 every 6 hours currently. At the current $150 per chia that makes 6.5 cents every 6 hours. I am popping 1.5 plots a day on this pool I think until I get maybe 0.001 chia every 6 hours. That number will be around 35 to 40 plots.

For Pool #2 (In the "chia pool" as one lump) now has 14 plots and pays out 0.00030 every 6 hours, or again about 4.5 cents every 6 hours. I am not topping this up until pool #1 actually hits the 0.001 I mention above. At that time I may spend a week or two topping pool #2 up to snuff.

The remaining up pooled plots have made butlkiss. It shows something like 0.0000000197 . Less than 100th of a percent of a penny.

If things go as planned I will have one tenth of a Chia by next Monday or Tuesday and maybe a full coin by Christmas. While I do accumulate the parts of a coin every 6 hours, it only transfers to my "Wallet" at the 0.01 of a coin portion.

At 1.5 plots a day I should be up to 90 pooled plots by Jan 1 which the internets say garnished about $10 a month of Chia a month by todays dollar value.

At that time I will run out of hard drive space as well. I have 2.5TB left on drive #2, one surplus 2TB 2.5" drive and a 2TB full size drive also. All said and done at that time there will be 13TB of plots which is a hell of a lot of space.

The Galloper is getting a visitor Saturday morning - Local mechanic is coming to look at it and if he likes he hands me his dealer plates and I drive it to his garage for the safety to be done and it will be on the road.

Had the first salt truck come down our street Monday night. Winter is wrapping its icy grip upon us.

Blog Entries

Yipee - The PCR test requirement for Canadians returning to Canada will be lifted on Nov 30. Mind you it is only for 72 hours or less, but still cool.

Maybe a trip to Harbour freight then around Lake Erie to the R&R hall of fame and back up through Detroit.

Back when Chilo was pregnant with our first in 1992 we were going to do a circle tour of Lake Erie. We only got as far as Angola NY when our water pump died on our '86 Cressida. We had it towed to Oscar and Herminia's place in Lakawana NY (They were excluded from Canada at that time, from late 91 to late 95) and a drunk Porta Rican swapped out a pump for a 12 pack of beer. The pump we got at "Forest city auto parts" - I remember is so clearly because 1) It was open on a Sunday - Something that was sacrilegious to us at the time 2) The part was only $75 - I priced out the same in Canada when we got back @ $600 3) Never got a car repaired for a 12 pack before- At US priced to boot - We gave him an extra 20.

Dad took off to Punta Cana yesterday - He goes down south a couple times a year - My sister gave him an old iphone for his Covid codes and e-tickets. My Dad has trouble with a flip phone, let alone an iPhone - It may make for soma animated exchanges at the airport. He is the sponsor for another 2 of the Jamacians. Now he is up to bringing 4 of them in over the past 20 yrs. These two are working for him the entire winter. I am heading down there now to get an old trailer he no longer needs out of the mud so I can work on it over the winter.

CBC radio is like the US NPR but a little less "Dry" . They have a 1 hour science show every Saturday. This week one of the discussions was on Delusions - It was fascinating.. Delusions

Blog Entries

For Pool #1 (My own plots in my own pool) now has 23 plots and pays out (on avarage) 0.00044 every 6 hours currently. At the current $150 per chia that makes 6.5 cents every 6 hours. I am popping 1.5 plots a day on this pool I think until I get maybe 0.001 chia every 6 hours. That number will be around 35 to 40 plots.
    Now 37 plots - Paying about 12 cents every 6 hours (0.0008 of a Chia)

For Pool #2 (In the "chia pool" as one lump) now has 14 plots and pays out 0.00030 every 6 hours, or again about 4.5 cents every 6 hours. I am not topping this up until pool #1 actually hits the 0.001 I mention above. At that time I may spend a week or two topping pool #2 up to snuff.
    Now 18 plots paying about 6 cents every 6 hours (0.0004 of a Chia)

If things go as planned I will have one tenth of a Chia by next Monday or Tuesday and maybe a full coin by Christmas. While I do accumulate the parts of a coin every 6 hours, it only transfers to my "Wallet" at the 0.01 of a coin portion.
    I was paid out 0.01 Chia on the 24th

Pool #1 should pay out another 0.01 by Thursday (8 days)
    Pool #2 should pay out its first 0.01 by Friday (5 weeks)

At that time I will run out of hard drive space as well. I have 2.5TB left on drive #2, one surplus 2TB 2.5" drive and a 2TB full size drive also. All said and done at that time there will be 13TB of plots which is a hell of a lot of space.
    The 4GB filled first week of Nov and the 5TB filled up this morning - So I moved on to the 2TB just about an hour ago.

I did get a good deal on another SSD drive on black Friday sale and now can probably mine 3 equiv plots a day (Two fulls and two halves) -so it will take me a week to fill 2TB drive #1 and then I have another 2TB drive (Another week) and a 1TB I scrounged (about 3 days)

That extra 5 TB should get me to the 25 to 30 cents every 6 hours. - That is equiv of $3.50 a week - Not that bad really when you think about it

BUT - I have to do that 2 or 3 times over which will be another $500 in hard drives. But if I gather drives at 4TB a pop, about $95 each for 3 or so weeks each - It should not be too hard on the pocket book...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I goofed - Plot #1 will pay out 0.01 _next_ Wed or Thurs

The new SSD drive is much better - It had a plot done in 12 hours - The old SSD was only 85% done. The new one is a Samsung on sale @ $75. The old SSD is a cheapie Adata drive @ $67.

I goofed - Plot #1 will pay out 0.01 _next_ Wed or Thurs

The new SSD drive is much better - It had a plot done in 12 hours - The old SSD was only 85% done. The new one is a Samsung on sale @ $75. The old SSD is a cheapie Adata drive @ $67.

Will the SSD drives hold up to that service long term ?

Blog Entries

Will the SSD drives hold up to that service long term ?
    _That_ is the question...

These things chug along @ 100% almost the entire 12 hours of plotting

Some of the miners that do 20 or 30 pots-a-day report budget drives die within 2 to 3 months. That being said with me at a piddly 3 or 4 a day I should get 8 to 10 months out of them..

Blog Entries

Well the tree is up.

My sister sells trees at the Greenhouse. Back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's I sold them from the time I was 8 until my early 20's.

Since Chilo and I have been together we get a tree from the greenhouse. They typically come in in late Nov from New Brunswick (Just above and beside Maine) The fellow used now to supply them is the same guy for at least 20 yrs.

Last year my sister sold out every single stick - Even the Charlie brown trees and most were priced at $90 ea. This years copy was $95. It looks the same this year as my sister sent me a message yesterday saying almost all are gone now, on the first Saturday in Dec.

A google photo popped up in my memories on the phone showing the 2015 tree was tagged @ $58

BIL Luis whipped up Nacotomal today - I had to pop out to ge get them - Steaming hot just out of the pot. He uses Olives and Capers in his mix and also uses a more fatty cut of pork, or uses more of the fat. We typically chop up a pork but for it with most of the skin going to Chicharon.

We had snow on the ground up until Tuesday - It went slightly above freezing on Tuesday and have hovered just above and below over the past few days with snow in the air but no accumulation.

Christmas week looks all screwed up this year. Both with component shortages and with the complications with the new MRP system (SAP) they have decided to keep production going the entire week from the 27th to the 31st. Typically the plant shuts down in this time with production people taking vacation and salaried folks using there over 40 hours a week work time to cover it. Then the plant will be shut down 3rd to the 7th. Even the statutory holiday days of Boxing day and new years day (both on weekends) are moved into the forst few days of Jan. Only Christmas day (the Saturday) is moved into the Friday (Christmas eve) for one day off there.
    Chilo is off between Christmas and new years. So it will certainly screw up the Christmas break.

It's 75 as I write this, but nights are cooler, dropping to just under 50. The time to be in So Arizona,, or Florida.

Cooler on the farm too. Solar has been more than adequate, despite shorter days.

Blog Entries

It's 75 as I write this, but nights are cooler, dropping to just under 50. The time to be in So Arizona,, or Florida.

Cooler on the farm too. Solar has been more than adequate, despite shorter days.

Yeah...had lunch with my brother today over looking the beach and the gulf of Mexico...75 degrees .......and yes the solar cells are taking care of my hot water just fine.

Checked the weather on Little Corn....vast temperature swings for the next few days and nights (1 degree day and night) ......81 to 82 degrees,lol.

Blog Entries

Watched a Sunday of Football - Not really a football fan, but the Hamilton Tiger Cats (Tie Cats) won the eastern title vs the Toronto Argonauts

In the west the Winnipeg Blue Bombers won against the Saskatchewan Rough riders.

So next weekend is Canada's murder city (Winnipeg) vs the Armpit of Canada (Hamilton) in Hamilton, at Tim Horton field (A coffee chain akin to Dinkin) in down town Hamilton.

It is a little refreshing not to have yet another Grey cup in Calgary, Montreal or Toronto. Although it is cool to see the Calgary group when they come to Toronto or Montreal. You see when the (Calgary) Stampeders come to Grey cup in the east they bring their horses. Tradition states they ride the horses into the hotels. Nothing like horses Shitting on the floor on the fanciest of Hotels in Hobby snobby Toronto or in Faux euro snob Montreal.

The cup, named after Earl Grey, who was Canadian Governor General in 1909. Gov General is equal to mouth piece of the crown who in those days was the top Gov official. Canada became Autonomous in the late 40's with the Gov Gen more of a figure head roll.

Canadian football is a bit older than US and the two have had hands in each others creation in the past century and a bit. Wiki

The West game was in Winterpeg @-11C (12F)
    The east game was in Toronto @ 6C - (42F)

.......and yes the solar cells are taking care of my hot water just fine.

I've got to try something like that.
    Even if a small number of panels (I remember you had four)
    pre-heated the water and the gas in line heater brought it up to "hot", it would save a lot of gas.We both like a hot shower.
    Bathing in cold water really depresses me.

The gas chimbos have gotten really expensive, pushing 500 cords. I can remember when they were less than 300
    We have three main consumers: water heating, cooking, and the gas clothes dryer.
    The cooking usage is driven heavily by baking bread. Since I left for Tucson, they are baking every other day.

I had wired up something that uses the excess power we have after about 10AM, but it's not consistent to guarantee a hot shower by itself.
    It's easier to use that excess power to cook beans in a crockpot, which we do daily.

The thing is,, anything you do has to work without much intervention. Shelley is good about keeping the panels clean, which is important, and maintaining battery water level.

A few panels would just sit there, heat the water in the tank when there is sun. Nothing to think about,, is what you want.

Blog Entries

My set up is super simple.
    Two 300 watt panels in series are hooked to one of the heating elements in the water heater.
    The heating element must be matched to the voltage and current output of the panels. Matched means having the proper resistance. (V1Max +V2Max) / IMax = RElement in this case with this set up. You MUST match the element with the panels for maximum power transfer.
    The upper element in the heater is left intact and remains hooked up to the house current. Usually that circuit breaker is off. I have only needed to turn it on twice after a few continuous cloudy days (rare in FL).
    I have a small water heater, only 40 gallons and there are only 2 people in the house. Water temp at the end of the day is usually around 110 - 115 degrees.all year round.
    Note that this is not about saving money for me as electricity is so cheap here, I just wanted to do it and I like having a bunch of meters on my hot water tank .

Blog Entries

Well the 120 bags of cement is mixed and hoisted up to the 2nd floor and poured.

Video <<- Corrected rotation

BIL took the video of watering the cure in the right orientation but it looks like Whatsapp screwed up and it is 90deg off.

Now we need to go down for the next step - I don't want to flat roof the place as the heat radiating off the roof is so brutal - Probably a 3/12 or 4/12 pitch of a "A" type roof so we can get some air flow - Also to personally vet out the rooms - We want an open living area looking out towards Coyotepe you see in the distance of this video.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 12-12-2021 at 02:06 PM.

How thick is the slab ?

Blog Entries

How thick is the slab ?
    It looked (from the other video on Chilo's phone) at 5 to 6" - Rebar looks like 10" square pattern

It looked (from the other video on Chilo's phone) at 5 to 6" - Rebar looks like 10" square pattern

Should survive the next earthquake.
    Which we know is coming eventually.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By bathroom sink has as much rebar as a highway bridge. Not even the thought of a crack in over a decade.

I would go direct for solar heating. a tube network on a piece of zin painted black preferably covered with glass that is plumbed to thermo cycle up to an insulated tank. a friend has one in Tisey. His does not get the water hot, but it gets it reliably "not cold". Gringo methods and materials could make it warmer. If nothing else the warm water could be plumbed into the water heater to get it to the preferred reliable temp.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast