Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

So today is the beginning of my 57th circumnavigation of the Sun

In the past week I have done 3 truck runs for my Dad - one to the Ontario food terminal, one to a little grocer in Burlington who does a mind numbing amount of business and then one load between greenhouses.

In addition to the 12 Jamaicans my Dad has 12 Mexicans for then next 3 weeks. The Mexicans were brought up by another Farmer for an Late March to August stay but there is a lul time in their work from The 1st week of May to the 4th so they are subcontracted to my day for the May rush - He does over 30% of his business in May, and almost 1/2 of that on the May long weekend (Victoria day) the 21st to the 23rd.

The truck is a 28' straight truck with a lift tail gate rented from Ryder. Dad rents 3 trucks every year to supplement the 2 he has already.

Chilo came with me all 3 rides as well. The Ontario food terminal was fun, used to do that run 2x a week from the mid 80's up to the mid 90's . You show up at 2 or 3 in the morning, unload, people come and go saying what they wanted can actually exchange cash until 6:30 AM. For this trip it was simpler - Left the house @ 11, got to the truck @ 12 - Drove to the Ontario Food terminal arriving @1:15 , unloaded by 2, back to the greenhouse at 3:30, back to our house by 4:30 - Sleep to 8 and then go in to work for a regular day. The other runs were on Sunday.

This was kinda like how we did in the 90's - In the early 90's Chilo and I held 3 jobs and worked a good 55 tp 70 hours a week. Then we were afflicted with regular well paying jobs that made us lethargic through the 00's and 10's

I actually enjoyed it and found it refreshing doing the driving again. The last time I did a stint of driving was when I was downsized in 2015.

Daniel sent me a pix by whatsapp that he got his passport. Took him 3 weeks. He says he will come up in July and stay to (most likely) the end of September. With him being out that long there is probably not going to be much (if anything) done to the house until September. Can only hope that DOS and Rosario drops the test mandate before then. We will probably go for 3 weeks at that time.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

So the Hyundai Galloper is finally titled to me - It actually always was , I just did not have the green piece of paper which took some hoops to jump through. It should be on the road within a week or two and then the final top end service of water pump, belts, and valve adjustment before it becomes Nica ready for a trip in the 1st half of 2023.

Chilo badgered me get a front porch railing installed - So off to Home depot we went - It all kinda came together..

My favorite saying is....

Me no Carpentah ...
    Me Wood Butchah....

Image below - Youngest son says it is too "Flaggy"

The Cedar 4x4 were $48 each Cedar 2x4 were $18 and the 5/8 deck board was $22 It was almost $700cdn for just the material. The screen door was toast as well with 21 years of use (I put it in in 2001 when we did the roof) the bugger thing is that 82" doors are a 6 week order - So I ordered up an 82" and bought the 80 and hung it in front until the 82 arrives - The 80 will go to back door once the 82 arrives. Thank goodness for home depot 18 month equal payments - that 82" front door was almost $1K with taxes. But if it lasts the same 20+ yrs I am happy.

At the same time a storm blew through the province, killing 10, dropping a tree for us and tearing up a bunch of shingles. Just like the ad "If you are over 50 you may be affected by shingles"

Daniel got his passport and is planning to come up this summer to work under the table for some cash and as well BIL Edward says he is coming up as well. More than likely Daniel will stay at Herminia's and Edward will plant himself with us.

With the pricing of flights they are are going to pay through the nose for those for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

With the pricing of flights they are are going to pay through the nose for those for sure

Palmerola!

Spirit files there too,, if you have masochistic tendencies.
    Pee before you board the plane or keep a couple of quarters in your pocket to use the lavatory.
    Spirit charges for everything.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    With the pricing of flights they are are going to pay through the nose for those for sure

Palmerola!

Spirit files there too,, if you have masochistic tendencies.
    Pee before you board the plane or keep a couple of quarters in your pocket to use the lavatory.
    Spirit charges for everything.
    Or as my step daddy used to say Bring a dry pocket"

Hope their toilet works better than the phones at MIA. Not working is bad enough, but to steal your quarters really sucks!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

So today is the provincial election. We voted in an advance pole Saturday.

It would be similar to a US election for a state with a Governor and a legislation house. Chilo asked "who do I vote for" Again I say - Well read up the parties, see if they are what you want and vote "Too much work" she says - OK Look at their Youtube I say - "Takes too long she says" - "Just tell me who" <sigh> Dixon .. Jess Dixon - The PC (Progressive Conservative) candidate.

Then I hear Chilo talking to Her famly through the week she tells them as well to just vote for Dixon - So The PCs get another 4 votes from lethergy.

Trivia - The current Premier, Doug Ford, is the older brother of our past coke snorting Mayor of Toronto, Doug Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So today is the provincial election. We voted in an advance pole Saturday.

It would be similar to a US election for a state with a Governor and a legislation house. Chilo asked "who do I vote for" Again I say - Well read up the parties, see if they are what you want and vote "Too much work" she says - OK Look at their Youtube I say - "Takes too long she says" - "Just tell me who" <sigh> Dixon .. Jess Dixon - The PC (Progressive Conservative) candidate.

Then I hear Chilo talking to Her famly through the week she tells them as well to just vote for Dixon - So The PCs get another 4 votes from lethergy.

Trivia - The current Premier, Doug Ford, is the older brother of our past coke snorting Mayor of Toronto, Doug Ford.

Well, Chilo and family know that they can count on your good decisions.
    Is that any different that voting a straight party ticket, which happens a lot here ?
    Or,, your union telling you who to vote for ? Even more common.

I find I like Mark Kelley and Krysten Sinema more than the Republican offerings in Arrizona.
    Of course, the down side of integrity is you then hand the Senate to the Looney Tunes.

Nicaragua is simpler: It doesn't matter who you vote for
    I suspect,, for many people,, there is a certain comfort in that.
    For those rotting in El Chipote,, less of course.

I'm waiting for Hunter Biden to run for something in the US.

Lethargy is good, but name recognition is even better.

Blog Entries

We have 3 parties of note and one also ran..

PC - Conservative (Not a US equivalent) - Fiscal responsibility, Socially inclusive but mostly hands off, Infrastructure focused

Liberal - Feelings over finance - Socially inclusive by coercive methods - Handouts over infrastructure.

New Democratic Party.... Internet Meme of person flinging money to the air with no care or concern.

Greens - People who are sorry they were born and how they have ruined the world..

PC got 84 seats
    NDP got 31 seats
    Laterals 8 seats
    Greens 1 seat
    Ind 1 seat

Our government runs for 5 yrs (max) or as long as they have "The confidence of the house" - e.g. do not loose any money bills

Dougie is in for a good 4 yrs. They get to call the next election 4 yrs is Goldilocks - Call one in 3 and people think you are wasting their time and being opportunist or if you stretch it to 5 they think you are clinging..

Blog Entries

Hunter biden will be appointed--he has experience in foreign finances.

Blog Entries

So we got Chilo's passport application started finally. She went to the main office (there is one in town) but the day's allocation was filled. THe concerairge looked at her forms and said she could go to the "Service Canada" office in Cambridge and try there as people have been trying to get into the passport office for days. It appears the passport issueing system can not take the load of all the people renewing. News states that there is a 1.5M back log when the passport service typically only services 850 some thousand passport requests a year. So I took Tuesday morning off and we trucked out the 10 mi to the Service Canada office. There were only 4 people outside in line when we got there and 3 inside. Arrived ay 8:40 - Inside by 9 - Out at 11:15. She will need to wait 9 weeks for the passport - I am guessing it will show up in 7 to 8 weeks.

Now here is the kicker. Marta was talking to Chilo last Friday and Marta casually says "Oh yea, we found your passport, it was in a purse in her (Marta's) room." Chilo nodded and smiled and still spoke to Marta for another 30 of so min and when the call was done Chilo slams the cordless phone into the couch with an F-sharp - She suspects that her passport going missing was some sort of shenanigan.

Youngest son fell into a new job - He is only in 3 days now but loves it. It is at a Fancy Smancy Golf club. Apparently the initiation fee is $100K and the yearly dues are $20K - Waiting list of people with money to pay it as well. Absolutely insane

I asked Daniel how the new road was effecting water run off with this years rains. He says very well. The yearly river that used the flow into the development has stopped and the road is doing its job running the water west and east of our area. So even though it complicates our front door the issue of water run off seems to be very positive.

Daniel also asked for me to look into flights for him, coming up mid July, returning mid Sept. Flights are horribly expensive and to get anything reasonable he will almost surely need to go to LIR and possibly to fly into Detroit or Buffalo.

The 82" Door arrived at Home-Despot yesterday - Looks I might go pick it up this morning and make that todays task (Install 82 in the front and move 80" to the back door

Blog Entries

So Chilo and I got out for a walk Satuday - It was interesting on two points - Point 1 was one of the buildings that popped up after the LRT project was completed (About 60 buildings are done, in progress or approved along the Light rail route in the past 5 yrs) was a sculpture of a "Barrel of monkeys" . It is in bronze and is about 25 foot tall. At the top is a barrel and then a stream of monkeys of larger sizes ending up with a monkey at the bottom with a cell phone.

She asked what it meant and I told her about the barrel of Monkeys game you would buy and pick up the monkeys one by one. She had never heard of it and it was one of those Ah-ha moments how people do grow up differently. And I explained the "As fun as a barrel of Monkeys" saying which also never recalls hearing.

Second - The local TV station (CKCO TV) has a peregrine falcon nest on it. Two babies were born this year and they have a falcon camera in the box ( https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1930113 )

It looks like the two babies took flight Saturday - One managed to do the loop around the nest - One could not get enough air and ended up on the ground. Apparently (baby) Falcons can not re-establish flight from the ground - Not strong enough - so they hide and typically die from starvation or other predators.

There was a volenteer crew watching and the scooped up the bird, caged it, and called a handler. We walked buy about an hour after it landed and 2 hours before the handler coult take it back up. So we got to see the falcon close up.

It was cool.

The seat belt receiver for the Galloper finally hit DHL (well at least the paperwork did) so it should be here by the end of the week and serious planning for the drive this winter.

There was a nice write up from a lady, departing not far from us, (London) who drove down to Costa Rica this past month - Took her and her husband 13 days. Did Mexico all by toll roads. Her write up is in the Panamerican travel group on da Faze Book
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was a nice write up from a lady, departing not far from us, (London) who drove down to Costa Rica this past month - Took her and her husband 13 days. Did Mexico all by toll roads. Her write up is in the Panamerican travel
    group on da Faze Book

Toll roads are the safest way to go.
    Pricey around Mexico, Guadalajara, Puebla
    I used to budget more for toll roads than fuel.

Blog Entries

So Daniel has given up on flying in July. Too much of a pussy to travel to Tico land - Too much of a tight wad to fly from MGA. His formerBIL paid $900ish for a one way just to be hit with $150 baggage fee.

Which is too bad as he could make a fortune under the table here over the summer. Today Chilo and I cleaned part of a house with (Indian) students. Yea it was filthy, and I still smell somewhat of masala, but it was a quick $150. 2 yrs ago this lady balked @ $100 for a cleaning - Today paid $150 with a smile for 5 hrs work.

Have a nice 16# brisket on the smoker - Got it on sale for $399# a month ago. Wrapped it about 20 min ago @ 177f - Should be done by 10:30 - 11 I think - It will rest to morning in a cooler. CookShow also mentioned he got some ribs on the cheap as well. Meat deals are harder and harder to find, but they are out there and vacuum packing and a freezer helps.

At the same time a small 5# pork but is smoking as well - It should be done by 8:30 ish - It will sit in the cooler as well.

Funny bit on "The Cooler" I found a 24/7 Hogans Heros channel on our IPTV service . Watched 4 episodes yesterday - It has probably been 40 yrs since I watched an episode - Only remembered one of the 4 I watched.

Also caught leg #2 of Tour de France - been a couple years for that.

Dad hopped a flight to Holland Thursday - It is another Family day - Family day started in 1995- after Gran Ma Bly passed away. My Dad even hosted one in Canada back in 2003 and there was quite a show of faces then. With my Day just turning 80, the oldest being (2 and the youngest now 75 the chance of that happening again is almost zero. We went in 1999/2006 and 2012 - We might go next year if flights are not nuts like today.

It is the Canadian long weekend for Canada Day- Might have a stogie or two after the Brisket is set to rest.

Blog Entries

Cheapest seen Brisket here is $3.49# on sale, almost pulled the trigger but opted for $1.75# ribs instead as are quicker to cook. Got a 10# Butt few weeks ago for $1.29#, cooked it last weekend, turned out good.

99 cent # chicken legs today, bought 4 packs @ 4# pack.

Pork has been the bargain here last few months, buying some nice Pork Chops for $1.29 - 1.79 #, quick and easy to grill and everyone likes them, got a whole Pork Loin in freezer, think pd $1.49# for it.

Far as Meat goes, if it ain't on sale I am most likely not buying it.

Too Hot here (over 100 pretty much every day) to get excited about cooking, especially outdoor cooking. Cooking for a get together manana, will be easy stuff inside, for the 4th will likely smoke some ribs and do BBQ chicken.

Everyone I have talked to on Island said all is well, storm was no big deal, a weight off my shoulders....

Happy 4th of July.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Gee how I miss 4th of July fireworks sitting on a rocky hillside in 117 degree weather and then fighting a traffic jam to get home!

Anyway, until the airport normalizes at least we don't have to have restaurants overflowing with tourists, peatones run over by visiting Nicas, and long lines in the super behind pudgy Jesus freak kids in matching T shirts.

Relatives keep promising to visit, lets see whose really rolling in the dough to make the trip. 1 FOF was here lately, but it was to see a child hurt in a car wreck. She is doing fine, just 72 stichtches to her head and some brain xrays or something of her head that came out OK. Seams Chinandega is the place for head docotos, who'd a thunk. I was scary at first when my wife got a call in the middle of the night to bring medicine and bandages to the hopital because they were out. Shell esquipulas is the farmacy open at night, in case you ever need it.

My last trip to the FUS was a money hemmorage. I spent more getting there than I usually spent RT, and that was only the beginning. I spent 3 months getting 2 hours of medical care from the Can-kicker Administration. They didn't even have the decency to say FU, come back in 2 months, they jerked me around every couple of weeks along the way. But, maybe I am loosing the dialect of English. Maybe "Thank you for your service " is code talk for "FU".

Blog Entries

A modest proposal for the best deal on meat for pro-choice aficionados: smoked baby bits. In bins beside clinics in choice states, like New York & California, the meat, cured en vivo for up to 9 months, is free for the taking.

Thank you for your service!

WasnÂ’t Canada Day changed to Feb. 14 this year by CastroÂ’s son?

Meanwhile, in global news, will the Zombie King convince the Crown Prince of Mecca that Marxism is the true path to power on Earth?
    The Great Reset, “You’ll have nothing AND you’ll be happy.” - Klaus Schwab, W.E.F.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516