Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Next month’s International Living cover story: “Tucson - The Next Costa Rica” How to live like a Nica in the Arizona desert.

Tucson has become the Costa Rica for California. The wealth here is hard to fathom. The foothill canyons are carved up and covered with $2 million+ tract homes with fantastic views. This wouldn't happen in California: Arizona is still a much less restrictive state, and less expensive (although that last part is changing rapidly), than California.

Unfortunately, the Kalifornicators (to use a term coined by the Big Dwarf) bring their wokeism and voting habits as well as their money. And their aggressive driving habits they needed to survive in California.

The demographic is still favorable: African Americans are less than 5% of the population, so crime and blight are significantly less. Streets are wide and reasonably well maintained, traffic flows, and we have nothing of the congestion seen in California. Schools still work,, are uncrowded, and have remained safe.

Electricity is cheap thanks to the Palo Verde nuclear plant. At 10 cents a KWH,, we pay less than a third of what most Californians pay. Power outages are unheard of.

Water is expensive.

I've felt the need to keep a small but very humble footprint here due to the current volatility in Nicaragua,, and in the rest of the world quite honestly.
    If the world fractures again,, Nicaragua will undoubtedly find itself on the wrong side of the fence. The US won't be able to do much with Iran,, South Korea,, Russia, China,, but the US will very easiiy be able to spank Nicaragua. Daniel will have what he always wanted: another Cuba. And the Nicaraguans will continue to trek north.

And Nicaragua has a lot of enemies in the US,, and few friends.

Just cutting or limiting remittances would quickly impoverish the country.

I'm here for another reason.
    I've started another "big adventure" involving an asylum seeker from Nicaragua.
    It's premature to discuss the specifics at this point,, but stay tuned

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Same with the land on the island - Chilo is cooling to the idea of a cabin up there and has made some noise about selling it - I am sure we could double the 7K we paid for it as is, and if I were to get the driveway run (Permits and a few loads of Gravel) to get a road number (making it "Buildable" ) maybe 3X .

I said wait until the house in Masaya is done before we rush to Judgement.

Heck even if we just run the driveway and list the land on the camping app. Apparently there is an app like Air BnB that allows you to rent out land to camp.

The Galloper had its first tank of Diesel run through - 60L for 576km - With Diesel at a buck 88 a litre now that works out to 19 cents a KM - The Land Cruiser, because gas is $1.47/L , is 20 cents per KM - If Diesel were to return to historical norms of being equal or less to gas I would be well ahead.

Managed to get the redneck smoker set for the wedding on the 23rd - Running a test Brisket today to be sure all is good. A pork roast will be snuggled beside the Brisket at noon time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 09-11-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Diesel seems to be cheaper than gas outside of the US (going south) ,, so you have that to look forward to.
    I think that it's just the road taxes in the US that make it so expensive.

It's a substantial difference in Nicaragua.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    It's a substantial difference in Nicaragua.
    I am conflated on how I should feel about using the subsidies - On one hand it is market manipulation which almost always ends badly, but that market distortion only exists because of first world loans that we all have contributed too in some small way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I am conflated on how I should feel about using the subsidies - On one hand it is market manipulation which almost always ends badly, but that market distortion only exists because of first world loans that we all have contributed too in some small way.
    It's your white privilege.

Blog Entries

They used to call it the white man's burden.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Managed to get the redneck smoker set for the wedding on the 23rd - Running a test Brisket today to be sure all is good. A pork roast will be snuggled beside the Brisket at noon time.
    So the red neck smoker did _ok_ - Not fantastic, but OK - The pork worked fantastic - Getting to 145 in bout 6 hours - The Brisket was 177 bo 11PM so it went to the oven to finish off - Looks like I need to kick the temp up fo the upcoming cook.

First time I used Butcher paper - I think for the run next week I will stick with foil and hone my paper process another day.

The Pork was done without salt - Chilo is on a 2000mg of salt / day diet so this one is just sugar, allspice, coffee, and garlic powder. It was fantastic - But still needed salt :-)

The Brisket was 60/40 pepper/salt and is also fantastic.

Blog Entries

Just talking to my boss about taking 4 months off next year and working remote it that time.

Part of next year will be out in the boonies of Canada so I checked on Starlink in BG, the Yukon and hte NWT - Starlink only goes a slight way into the Yukon ....

BUT

I scrolled down the the CA-4 - All now says "service date is unknown at this time" now - Tico land and Panama still quote Q1 2023.

Looks like all of Mexico has Starlink coverage now, and the map shows El Salvador available Q4 this year. I bet it would work in the Chinandega area.

Quote Originally Posted by billbudsocket View Post
    Looks like all of Mexico has Starlink coverage now, and the map shows El Salvador available Q4 this year. I bet it would work in the Chinandega area.

It will be nice when it finally gets there (Nicaragua)

Blog Entries

So the big day / night / day

Picked up from Alex (The groom) 30Kgs of brisket - The final total was 5 of them - All nicely trimmed as well - Alex works at a butcher shop conveniently. He also gave me the 6 10lb bags of lump coal. The meak is in 2 coolers to allow a gentle rise to 10 or 12C before plunking on the grate.

Picked up coarse pepper and coarse salt at the bulk store - Will run 60/40 of pepper to salt.

Leaving work at 2 I think to get things started - At least to prep the area, clean out the pits of oals coal from the test runs - mix the rub yadda yadda yadda.

Probably watch the cook with coffee until 7 and then switch to beer until 11 or 12 - Snooze for 2 hours wake , check , snooze wake check snooze and if not at the 205 by 8AM plunk to an oven at 275 for the finish - I am sure the original pit can get the pair in there to temp - The second as well but teh last one maybe not - That last one I will only load with the lonely single brisket.

Their wedding is at 3, with dinner at 6 - So is I can plunk them in the coolers at 12, @ 204F, They should be perfect for 6PM.

Doing the tried and true foil wrap this time. WHile I have the butcher paper, I did not get teh wrap right on my test run so figure I need to figure out the paper work for future runs - This run will be straight foil.

Spoke to Daniel (as per the house thread) he still has the two Iguanas Lurking around our properties - He is feeding them Papaya - I asked if they would be ready for BBQ by March - He laughed and wondered which cut I would like - I said lets go for the tail.

Chilo is getting a little restless at home - She took that Sat Sun gig I was talking about earlier and today she has an apartment to clean . Little cash here, little cash there...

Blog Entries

So the last few days have turned much cooler 14C yesterday 12C today - Sunday morning had frost on the rooftops, not on the ground, so the tomatoes get a reprieve for a week.

The Jays are holding on quite well - Looking to win their 2nd of 3 game set against the Yankees tonight- Maybe they can hold on to the wild card spot and get into the playoffs. Hockey starts for me on the 10th.

Along with the cooling weather so goes the housing market. With 3.25% as the bank rate this is translating to a 4.1 to 4.5 mortgage rate. With rule changes up here in the 2017 time frame that means people need to qualify @ 2% over the current rate . Hence those who can qualify @ 6.5% mortgage with a balance of over 600K are few and far between. Because our rate is 0.75 below the US rate the exchange is taking a beating as well to 0.75US for a buck Canadian, down from 80 cents at the beginning of the year - All of this will make finishing up the second floor a little more pricy than we like, but it has to be done.

The Brisket fest worked out fantastic - Started cooking at 3PM and got 2 to 190, 2 to 180 and the last was at 168 before all went into the oven at 11:30 PM. The wedding dinner seen 4 sliced up and 3.75 of them gobbled up. They took one home and split it amongst the family.

I think I could actually handle 5 Briskets in Nicaragua for that weekend pop up dinner I have been babbling about for the last few years. Then a couple of 20L kegs of beer and 3 to 5 briskets - Set up for Friday and Sat and when it is gone I am done. Although I bet the brewers license is bitch to get.

Actually on that note I guess I should start practicing brewing again. My regular brew house went under just at the start of the pandemic and I have been using a craft brewing house in a town 20km from here. Because of that I do have 2 - 20L kegs, 2 30L kegs and one 50L keg - What I don't have is brew set up and should start on that now.

I'll buy dinner at your restaurant.

for that weekend pop up dinner I have been babbling about for the last few years.

Shelley is getting on a plane on Friday from Liberia to Miami. To Dallas and then Tucson arriving Sat morn

Ian looks like he will have moved on by then,, but who knows ??

At least we're past the Covid BS,,

Los Arcos let her park her truck in their garage for free for the month,, friends showed up to drive her to Managua.The bus she is taking to Costa Rica is Central Line
    They allow her to over night for free at their facility,, details will be forthcoming. They leave at 4AM for Costa Rica.

Farmacia Estelí handled the tickets coming and going

Blog Entries

So Jenny is getting a little flustered.

You may recall me mentioning Jenny had 2 nieces come up with their family. Well they have their work permits now but have seemed to have settled in and work is too much of a bother. One family is hunkered down with Jenny and Luis about a km from the house, the other is hunkered down with Jimmy in Cambridge. About 10km away.

As they do get some funds from the "Gub-mint" and pass that through to their hosts to apply some to the rent and food. Also Jenny is pretty good at surfing the food banks.

I really wonder how they will handle the winter.

Regardless there is a process to exclude non workers once they get their permits - Though glacial in speed.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; Today at 09:22 AM.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I went to sj on Central Line years ago. Nice to know they are still there.The 4 am drudge may seem bad but they are probably timing it to be the only bus at the border, It is painful for us old dinosaurs to remember a problem free 10 hour ride with batch processing of documents and little or no customs inspection and a restauant on the CR side of the compound.

Invierno sucks bad this year--mold, algae,mud, standing water throughout the neighborhood, allergies. We are doing an emergency deep clean on the house, down to removing the ceiling tiles and sanitizing both sides. Not quite as bad as 2010 y 2011, but we haven't made it through October yet. Can't forget the friend on his way out that said the only climate to retire in is the Mediterranian.

Only good news is minsa has been around spraying many times, day and night, and zancudos are tolerable for the charco situation. Shore birds are here wading in the farms and empty lots.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718