Thread: A Frijolero Thanksgiving

Default A Frijolero Thanksgiving

I'm endlessly amused by how the recent immigrants embrace our holidays,, customs and traditions.

The first snow in the mountains above Tucson always sees Carlos, Ariana, Sebastian, --- and now Camila too --driving up to frolic in the snow. Sebastian is at the point where we could strap some skis on him and see what happens. We have a cute little ski area that doesn't do much for me,, but is perfect for kids.

For what it would cost me to rent what I need,, I can put Sebastian in ski school, take a few pictures, and find someplace warm to down some cold ones

But,, Thanksgiving has everything the Latins love: Lots of food, plenty to drink, and family. And Ariana is hosting her first at her house. Sebastian's "Godmother" is bringing a big turkey; Ariana is doing a ham which we are going to find today. I'll bake a couple of loaves of bread, make some cranberry sauce, and buy some pies the day before.

Sebastian hasn't been baptized yet, but the plan is a double with Camila and two sets of godparents. They waited until I came back up,, but now there is Thanksgiving,, and Christmas,, so it won't happen until next year. Ariana was baptized along with the rest of her family, but like most of the campo, they converted to evangelico along the way. Baptizing Sebastian as a Catholic will create more division in the La Lima family. His grandparents are fervent members of one of the two evangelical churches in La Lima.

I mentioned that Sebastian's English is already better than my Spanish. It's frustrating, and he doesn't want to speak Spanish anymore. " Speak English! " is his response when I try to explain something in Spanish.

We are starting a weekly reading session this afternoon, finally. I'll read with Sebastian (and Ariana hopes Camila too) and we'll work on pronunciation and phrasing . The idea is, then Sebastian will re- read to Camila when I'm not around, and Ariana gets a break. Sebastian will do the same puzzle numerous times, and I'm hoping that this carries over to the reading.

Goodwill sells children's books for 99 cents, a steal, and I purchased an eclectic assortment.

So,, Vamos a ver!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Frijolero Thanksgiving

Jeez...I remember "The Little Engine That Could"...loved it...."I think I can, I think I can......."
    Also when he gets a bit older, there was a series of books starting with "T Model Tommy" that is about capitalism.....boy makes good and does well kind of thing.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

This kid is definitely NOT getting a commie upbringing.

These migrants may be the future hope for our country. The ones I see just want to work.

Even the Haitians I knew in Florida. A very different color of black.

There ARE some bad apples, no question.
    If Sleepy Joe would just deport those . . . .

The worm is turning,,, if it would just turn a bit faster . . . .

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have to say that the Haitians that I met in South Florida were hard working and demanded that their kids excel in school.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.