Thread: Wontons in Nicaragua

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Wontons in Nicaragua

I'm a pretty firm believer that one can find almost anything in country if you just know where to look. It took me three years to track them down, but now these wrappers can be a fairly regular item in my freezer. Like good Chinese food everywhere in the world, I incorporated some local "schtuff" in the mix and made shrimp and pork fried wontons and soup. Culantro sets this soup off something awesome!

The wrappers recently came from a friend but I now know where to get them in Managua, the incredibly sweet shrimp are from the marisquería here in town (Jinotepe), the pork was ground fresh at Pali (much to the chagrin of the clerk who had recently cleaned the machine, if her face was any indication), and the lettuce, ginger and culantro abound in every market.

Nicaragua is never a dull place, and cooking here can be quite the adventure!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

I was wondering about wonton wrappers yesterday, I figured one of the Asian markets would have them.

I use them to make ravioli. They are really handy & just the right size, many restaurants use them for this instead of making fresh pasta.

Going to use them tonight to make some eggplant ravioli with fontina & ricotta cheese, then drizzle with olive oil & fresh oregano (from my herb garden) & serve.

I have seen ricotta (sargento) at price-mart in big tubs. Still haven't found a great source for cheese, La Colonia Hypermart has a pretty good selection, but it can get pricey quick.

Default i was....

wondering about bolagne for my sandwiches? :wink:
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Bologna? What the heck is that? :? Jim, you're too funny.

I was wondering about wonton wrappers yesterday, I figured one of the Asian markets would have them.
    I know of 3 Oriental stores in Mga, none carry the wrappers. Just found out about this latest store that has the wrappers and some beautiful Chinese sausages. I'll add exact directions after my next Mga trip.

I have seen ricotta (sargento) at price-mart in big tubs. Still haven't found a great source for cheese, La Colonia Hypermart has a pretty good selection, but it can get pricey quick.
    No sense in making a long trip to Managua for an expensive product that they may or may not have, simply make your own at home. It's cheaper, easier, and better quality! Heat milk to 150 degrees F, remove from heat and add apple cider vinegar, let sit for 1 to 2 hours (covered with a cheese cloth or screen so steam can get out but no bugs in). When it's ready, pour into cheese cloth (I use a damp, clean, men's undershirt) and hang to drip over bowl (save that whey for bread!) for another few hours. This cheese can be flavored with sea salt and fresh chopped herbs, whatever you like.

This recipe is generic and simple changes, like ups and downs in temp, amount of time left to sit in vinegar, etc can drastically affect the consistency. It will make cream cheese, ricotta, and even a nice crumbly feta style for salads.

Next project, track down some of that goat's milk for a real cheese treat....

Default that's what i ate....

bm. (before marriage)
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: that's what i ate....

Quote Originally Posted by jimrichard
    bm. (before marriage)
    I like that time quote,,,BM....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Theres a few Chinese restaurants in the Bello Horizonte Area that make some great Wonton Soups.

How about some Sweet and Sour Soups with tofu and pork?

Yesterday's HOY had an article on making chicken and shrimp wontons, as well as where to buy the ingredients. Since I always have trouble tracking down wonton wrappers, I thought I would share.

According to the article, the Rincón Chino restaurant on Carretera Norte (next to Nuevo Diario) sells all the items for making these tasty treats. D*mn, guess this means yet another trip to Mga. Thought I was done with that place for awhile.