Thread: WARDEN MESSAGE: July 3, 2010

Default WARDEN MESSAGE: July 3, 2010

Political Rally: El Repliegue

On Saturday, July 3, the Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN) will commemorate the 31st anniversary of "El Repliegue," the tactical retreat of the FSLN from Managua to Masaya during the Nicaraguan revolutionary war.

The rally is scheduled to begin around mid-day on Saturday at the parking area of the Mercado Roberto Huembes in Managua. Participants are expected to depart from the Huembes market at around 4:00 p.m. and proceed on foot to Masaya, traveling south through Barrio Reparto Schick and Las Colinas as they make their way to Masaya.

Expect heavy traffic at Roberto Huembes market, Las Colinas, Jean Paul Genie Rotonda and along the Masaya highway until at least 10:00 p.m. Travelers should avoid these areas, if possible.

We wish to remind American citizens that even political rallies intended to be peaceful can possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to exercise caution.

The Embassy's Regional Security Office has advised Embassy personnel not to drive through barricades encountered on the street, to keep windows up and doors locked in their vehicles, and to carry a cell phone at all times.

Default Re: WARDEN MESSAGE: July 3, 2010

Conveniently this march passes my house every year, so if anyone wants to come out, watch the fun, and fire off some 3rd of July fireworks at this band of thugs, let me know. I will set the lawn chairs out, and have a case of cold beer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: WARDEN MESSAGE: July 3, 2010

I've been staying just off Carr. Masaya since Thursday, and we could hear the "boom" of fireworks or whatever starting around sunset. We went into town around 11:00am and they were setting up booths to sell bottled water. By the time we headed back to the house traffic was backed up for miles due to road construction. There were police everywhere to direct traffic and do crowd control, vendors selling Nica and rojinegro flags, and buses packed tight with people. Saw one Russian bus broken down on a side road.

We were going to drive over to see the rally tonight but the police had roads blocked off and we'd have had to walk a half mile or so. It didn't seem worth the effort to me.

But memorial rallies like this remind me of the Southerners who re-enact Civil War battles. Is it just for historical curiosity, or is the passion for the cause still there?