Thread: dale pues, va pues

Question dale pues, va pues

These two phrases have always confused me, it seems like both can be used at any point in a conversation. Can anyone explain them (how they're used in Nicaragua) and when they can (and can't) be used?

Default Re: dale pues, va pues

Quote Originally Posted by juoksen View Post
    These two phrases have always confused me, it seems like both can be used at any point in a conversation. Can anyone explain them (how they're used in Nicaragua) and when they can (and can't) be used?
    I have also heard them used as filler. And even though they're used interchangably, at least from my point of view they (usually) have different connotations.

"Dale pues" is more of a grudging concesion, like "Go ahead then." or "If you say so." or "Fine."

"Va pues" is more passive or even tempered, like "Oh, OK." or "Sure." or "Alrighty then."

Of course someone can change these by just saying there phrases with a little flavor. For example, "Vaaaa Pues." would mean "I'm giving in only because you're a necio." And, a more upbeat or animated "Dale." or "Dale pues." would be more akin to "Adelante amigo." or "Just do it."

Like with any filler, how it's said is more important that what is said.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Bueno pues.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I have also heard them used as filler. And even though they're used interchangably, at least from my point of view they (usually) have different connotations.

"Dale pues" is more of a grudging concesion, like "Go ahead then." or "If you say so." or "Fine."

"Va pues" is more passive or even tempered, like "Oh, OK." or "Sure." or "Alrighty then."

Of course someone can change these by just saying there phrases with a little flavor. For example, "Vaaaa Pues." would mean "I'm giving in only because you're a necio." And, a more upbeat or animated "Dale." or "Dale pues." would be more akin to "Adelante amigo." or "Just do it."

Like with any filler, how it's said is more important that what is said.
    In Carazo both phrases simply mean, "Bye for now, see you later."

Blog Entries

Orale.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Orale.
    Oh Doc your sooo TJ