Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

So I buy a stick ($50US) -> Yes pricy but I hope to use it for the next 2 or 3 years...
    Stick

I also buy a GSM chip with a "Plan" (30 min @256kbs C$10, 1hr@ 256kbs C$15 or 12 hours @512kps C$50)

This is where my reading and googling have made me draw some assumptions...

I remove the SIM from the USB stick, put it in a phone and send a text to "2266" the word "ACTIVAME"

Take SIM card from phone and put back into USB stick.

Use my time..

Then once I need to reactivate OR recharge I put the SIM card back into the phone and either reactivate or have the agent add more time to the SIM via the phone..

Am I on the right track or doomed to 2 days of hair pulling..??
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

I have seen the movistar jingles for sale in the gasoline station... but I have no idea how this works. I do still have my movistar jingle, and I would be willing to loan it to you (for free), you figure out the chip part though.

Default Re: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

I know this works with CLARO...
    I have a freind in Granada that does this...
    Pretty cool discovery by him...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So I buy a stick ($50US) -> Yes pricy but I hope to use it for the next 2 or 3 years...
    Stick

I also buy a GSM chip with a "Plan" (30 min @256kbs C$10, 1hr@ 256kbs C$15 or 12 hours @512kps C$50)

This is where my reading and googling have made me draw some assumptions...

I remove the SIM from the USB stick, put it in a phone and send a text to "2266" the word "ACTIVAME"

Take SIM card from phone and put back into USB stick.

Use my time..

Then once I need to reactivate OR recharge I put the SIM card back into the phone and either reactivate or have the agent add more time to the SIM via the phone..

Am I on the right track or doomed to 2 days of hair pulling..??

Blog Entries

Thanx for the offer 3F but I think I will buy in that A) The stick comes with a SIM.. I figure that the 2 must be associated in some one and therefore a (little) less chance of configuration problems B) In case it goes "walking" it is only my loss.

From some of my readings I have found that the "Text" for activation can be sent by the modem itself by a small utility on a disk with the modem..

Also.. You mention "Jingle" is that nica speak for the modem? Canada and most of the North East and California I have had them refereed to (and I refer to them as) Dongle..

Just don't get caught Jingling your Dongle

I will ask Chilo to ask Marta to go to the "OOn da RooN" (How they both pronounce the On the run ESSO station) this week to see if they have them there..

dubereyes: From what I can tell Claro does not offer Pre Pagado, they were my first choice solely for familiarity (e.g. we know where the Masaya office is, Marta has a service with them etc etc) ... But since we have a "Dual SIM phone for this trip we have to seek out a Movistar office anyways..

Does the Claro give acceptable service to him?

funny thing that he told me.......he lives by the lake and has no cellphone service there but he has service with the Dongle for the computer. when he comes into town, he puts the chip in his IPHONE and it works! go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Thanx for the offer 3F but I think I will buy in that A) The stick comes with
    a SIM.. I figure that the 2 must be associated in some one and therefore a (little) less chance of configuration problems B) In case it goes "walking" it is only my loss.

From some of my readings I have found that the "Text" for activation can be sent by the modem itself by a small utility on a disk with the modem..

Also.. You mention "Jingle" is that nica speak for the modem? Canada and most of the North East and California I have had them refereed to (and I refer to them as) Dongle..

Just don't get caught Jingling your Dongle

I will ask Chilo to ask Marta to go to the "OOn da RooN" (How they both pronounce the On the run ESSO station) this week to see if they have them there..

dubereyes: From what I can tell Claro does not offer Pre Pagado, they were my first choice solely for familiarity (e.g. we know where the Masaya office is, Marta has a service with them etc etc) ... But since we have a "Dual SIM phone for this trip we have to seek out a Movistar office anyways..

Does the Claro give acceptable service to him?

Blog Entries

It worked. But so far I only have the 512kbps for 12 Hrs (I think. Shows 3.6mbps) .. Not sure on how to get the slower yet.

Software can be installed in English...

You can send the text as an SMS message from the installed software.

I am just sneaking up on the first 12 hrs with no issues (knock rainforest wood)

Purchased from the On The Run in Masaya for(Corrected) C$1208 ($57.00US) for the dongle and card and a I think C$200 of time..
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 08-03-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries

I would love to have had 512k in Nicaragua. Unless you're uploading massively huge photos, it should work ok.

Blog Entries

Yesterday was good.. Today is a little spotty.. But I think that has more to do with the 150G of pictures I am moving from the backup drive (all of the 2009 and 2010 pictures from home) to the laptop.. I have to shrink them all to jpegs from Raws.. That is why the total is so big... All of that background activity probably choked the i-net..

Also last night I was on from 9:00 to midnight.. Just coming up on 8:30 now.. So it may speed up after 9:00.. (Cybers closing to free up bandwith maybe??)

The card/stick came with C$50 of time (one 12hr stint @ 512kbps) .. Had to go hunting for new time today..

Threw the card (SIM) into a phone and took it to the Cyber.. Put in C$200 and was greeted with a SMS that my C$200 in now C$380.... Now that is cool... I guess there is a top up promo going on...

Blog Entries

One week in I am happy...

The top up "Double up deals" seem to be somehow fixed though as I have yet to successfully text the correct reply to any of the messages to get the updates..

Now when I send a text to "2266" the word "ACTIVAME" the system askes for a second message. Send to "2266" a "1" for 1h @ 256/kbps for 1hr( C$15) a "2" for 12 hrs @ 512 @ 512/kbps ( C$50) and a "3" for 1/2h @ 256/kbps for 1hr( C$10)

I have used 1 & 2

At 512Kbps I can watch the CTV news in 1.5 min bursts with maybe 20 second pauses in between.. Most uploads seem quick and complete... There is frequent dropouts under high loads though.. I do not think it is the hardware but the "Throttling" software probably being used by Movistar... (Like a Nica Bus.. Full throttle or full break.. Little in-be-twix"

The On The Run has not received a replacement for the one I bought last Tuesday .. We checked with today's Tona refill (14 for the price of 12 - C$178 )

Blog Entries

Just to close out this experience as well

You can add any Movistar SIM to the stick and use the remaining credit from that SIM. I did this with our phone SIM to use up the remaining credit..

Just you have to send ACTIVEME to number 2266..

Also a side note..

Once the SIM is registered you need only send 1,2 or 3 to address 2266 to get that prescribed service "Activeme" is only necessary to turn GPRS on the first time.. After that you just need to select the level of service.

My co-workers are GOBSMACKED (as am I) at the relative low cost of this service.. For example GPRS inet in Ontario is only available by plan and the minimum plan is $35 CDN a month with .. Get this.. Only 512mb of included data ... Rogers bottom of page..

While on Movistar I D/L 1.4 gb and uploaded about 700mb (The S/W has a counter function) and I think I spent $35US total for fees (excluding stick) mostly @ the C$50 12hr rate..

Oh yea.. I checked On the Run the night of departure.. The spot the stick occupied was filled, but not with a new stick, but a new Nokia phone..

As an aside...

This is a market for some nica family to open a small business... Buy 5 or 10 of these modems.. Set up close to some Gringo-tel and rent out the sticks ($50 deposit) for $5 / wk with a small credit and maybe a $10 set up/removal fee. Also offer a refill service..

My SO uses Movistar 3G postpaid through an account my friend has where I pay him and he pays Movistar the $25 a month. When it works it works great when not, like tonight it is quite frustrating to use, these little boxes appear saying the profile is defective etc. Sometime you have to uninstall the modem from windows and put it back to sort of wake up the servers etc.

C$50 a day for 512K is a lot more than their US$40 for 512K on a monthly basis but if we only talk an hour on Skype the level 1/ 256K for an hour, service at C$20 is not much different and I hate depending on someone else to keep the account current.

I can say from using the Movistar software I've never been able to send a text SMS from the software itself to anyone so the idea of using a phone to send the activation message and using electronic refills for that SIM would be a pretty simple approach if I have to switch.

I can mention that YOTA is a bit of a joke - they tell you all of Managua has service and when I bought their modem and tried it where she lives near el Zumen there was no service at all. Then to get a refund took 2 days and I got a mix of US$ and C$ for the original cost. So take their word about coverage with a big grain of salt. When it did work near Metrocentro it was fast - 2-3mb/sec down and 1 mb/sec up.

Question I assume the SIM for the 3G service comes with a phone number so to add value to it you can do a recharge at Star Mart etc., by using that phone number and they send the credit to the SiM? If they do triple for C$300 or more do the bonus minutes give you internet service too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post

Question I assume the SIM for the 3G service comes with a phone number so to add value to it you can do a recharge at Star Mart etc., by using that phone number and they send the credit to the SiM? If they do triple for C$300 or more do the bonus minutes give you internet service too?
    I received quite a few notifications to double up and I think upon reflection now you could take advantage of them by putting the SIM in a phone.. The problem is that the Movistar Software would not recognize th leading "*" in any of the text back addresses to get the promotion.. I bet a phone would..

For recharge with PP number at star mart or any other top up Provider.. Yes.. You just pop SIM in any phone and ask that number be topped up.. I did that once with mine.

Next trip I (which may be one month or close to that) we may choose a plan as the Miss-us had her Cedula renewed.. IIRC you have to have Cedula to get a plan .

Were you able to send SMS from within the program? She has a Bandluxe modem which is both Expresscard (which is not in her computer) and USB as well. The software is a black screen with the connection status and a few buttons. By comparison my friend has a USB stick modem and his software is called the Movistar Desktop (escritorio).

I tried sending an SMS from the program to my cell and it didn't arrive.

So if she went prepaid, she can put the SIM in a phone, send the message to 2266 then wait for a reply and put the SIM in the USB stick?

I would like a backup to this post paid plan frankly and for $50 it may be worth it to have one. I would have to give her explicit directions on this activation thing that's for sure. A phone would probably be easier for her to understand than within a program.

Are you in Toronto or parts outside? I haven't met many people from Canada let alone Toronto who travel like I do which is almost every month.

Blog Entries

Were you able to send SMS from within the program? She has a Bandluxe modem which is both Expresscard (which is not in her computer) and USB as well. The software is a black screen with the connection status and a few buttons. By comparison my friend has a USB stick modem and his software is called the Movistar Desktop (escritorio).
    Yes.. My modem came with a built in USB drive that prompts you to install software by Movistar.. It has a nice GUI that allows SMS, see the current connection speed, the signal level, and even your total usage.

I tried sending an SMS from the program to my cell and it didn't arrive.
    I tried the same once and it never worked but I did not trouble shoot further..

So if she went prepaid, she can put the SIM in a phone, send the message to 2266 then wait for a reply and put the SIM in the USB stick?
    While I did not try this myself it should work..

I would like a backup to this post paid plan frankly and for $50 it may be worth it to have one. I would have to give her explicit directions on this activation thing that's for sure. A phone would probably be easier for her to understand than within a program.
    Easy enough to test.. Buy a PP Movistar for C$50 or 60 and put C$50 and send the text and then swap to your existing modem..

Are you in Toronto or parts outside? I haven't met many people from Canada let alone Toronto who travel like I do which is almost every month.
    The home of Blackberrys and Lederhosen... The KW area.. I have not been to the big smoke for almost 2.5 yrs (Except to fly from Pearson).. To quote that bad 70's song.. "So close but yet so far away"... I even planed to meet up with Marnica last winter but plans fell through.. At worst he lives 70km from me in Missasausage..

Actually I am planning a trip back to hog town in the next 2 weeks for my 25th anniversary of college.. Visit Queen st again (Old electronic shops).. China town, The El Macombo, The Brunswick house, Honest eds et al... I would like to round it out with the Zanzibar and the Brass Rail but me thinks the Miss-us would take exception to that extent of reminissance

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by ricktoronto

Bill B
    While I did not try this myself it should work..
    Silly me.. Yes I did do this...

The only small point is that my modem was sold as a prepay.. As yours was sold as a plan pay.. Like cell phones , sticks can probably be locked to a SIM but I can not see the market size to justify that in Nica.. So unlikely, but possible...

Blog Entries

So an update in the context of " I have no returned after (X) time absent, and a new PC, how well does it work..."

On the first visit all went as planned with the 3G modem my little personal Netbook (Acer)

Now on the last visit (Nov 4 to 11) I had the work PC to do some telecommuting to work to avoid the certain 8 days of work that would accumulate for being out of the office for 5 days..

1: after 64 days being out of the country the SIM still was valid. IIRC I think I read 6 months before they terminate the number.

2: For some Silly reason I selected all 4 install portions from the Modem (Remember the Movistar stick has a small flash memory stick installed with all of the install programs) and it would not work. I had to uninstall all 4 and then reinstall with the 2 default options selected and then it was all tickety boo from there.

3: Google talk did not work - even through VPN of the network in Canada. So I guess Google talk has a look up to find out the originating IP address and allow/disallow based on that.

4: ezetop worked without issue.

Blog Entries

Oh yes .. One other observation..

The On The Run in Masaya had a replacement modem for the one I bought in the (smaller) display case now..

Did not check model nor price.

Blog Entries

Tickety boo; is that like "Bob's your uncle"?

Blog Entries

Just to prove there is a Wiki on everything... Bob

Blog Entries

An update ...

Prepaid now has a cap...

Also rather than terminating in 12 hours, you get 12 hours of Browsing within a 24 hr period..

30 min of Navigation C $ 10.00 30 minutes 30 minutes 50 mb
    1 hour of Navigation C $ 15.00 1 Hour 6 Hours 100 mb
    12 hours of navigation C $ 50.00 12 Hours 24 Hours 300 mb

The above chart is Movistar...

Blog Entries

Another clickthrough CLARO I found this...

Apparently a Claro card and a $8 charge will get you 15 days of uncapped inet...

Tinkering up here I found the Movistar Dongle/Jingle was not "Locked" (e.g. it appeared to recognise the chip) but I was unable to set the APN data on it to get it to affiliate with Rogers..

What that means is that I may be able to drop in a Claro chip into the Movistar Dongle/Jingle and be set for the entire 25 is days (Two runs of 30.)

Will let you know what happens..

Prepaid Mobile Internet Packages

You can choose the Prepaid Mobile Internet package that suits your needs and your team, to make use of data on your celuclar must have configured the access point or WAP WEB Internet Options on your phone of course. Internet Packages Prepaid Mobile:

Internet Light $ 0.50 50 MB 1 days Email, Chat, Internet
    Internet Plus $ 1.00 100 MB 1 days Email, Chat, Social Networking, Internet
    Internet Pro $ 4.50 500 MB 7 days Email, Chat, Social Networking, Internet, Applications
    Full Internet $ 8.00 1 GB 15 days Email, Chat, Social Networking, Internet, Applications, Downloading any content
    * Prices plus VAT

You can choose the Prepaid Mobile Internet package that suits your needs and your team, to make use of data on your celuclar must have configured the access point or WAP WEB Internet Options on your phone of course. We offer you offer the following:

Internet Light 50 8833 128 kbps
    Internet Plus 100 8833 512 kbps
    Internet Pro 500 8833 1024 kbps
    Full Internet 1 GB 8833 1024 kbps
    Auto renewable subscription. Speed ​​depends on the technology of wireless equipment.

Blog Entries

Turning on the old chip from either the Movistar web page or ezetop was unsuccessful.

Will try in a phone upon our arrival .. If not then a whole C$40 on a new chip

Blog Entries

After 1 yr the chip is turned off...

New chip was C$50

You hit the cap Really fast.. But after that it does not cut off, but drops to dial up speed... (about 30kbits)

Google talk seems to allow calling to Canadian numbers @ $0.01 a min...

Blog Entries

So summary

Service was bad between , lets say, betwix 6PM and 10ishPM. I assume that the network was saturated with evening traffic. The rest of the time it was good.

Also had a lot of instances where the service itself would halt and then an error in talking to the modem would pop up. Unplugging the Modem and then plugging it back in seemed to do the trick. (but took another 2 - 3 min to restore the connection. )

I found out that the USB modem appears to be locked to Movistar as the Claro chip installed could not connect to the Claro network. That is unfortunate as Claro has far better rates (They have a 14 day activation @ $15 or so while Movistar is $2/day)

My Niece had an unused Claro modem, but I did not find this out until a week before we left...

One revelation on this trip is the infighting to use the single internet resource. Sons, Daughter, Wife all wanting to do different things..

If a connection could have been made to all the devices (the old netbook and our tablet and my work laptop) there would have been peace..

Ironically a notification came by from deal extreme for this... http://www.dealextreme.com/p/pocket-portable-3g-802-11-b-g-n-wifi-wireless-router-black-111257

What Is It??

Well it is a box that connects to the internet by chip and then allows wireless connection to it.. In short a Modem and wireless box all in one.

From research so far it looks like it will work with Movistar, Claro and my Carrier up here Rogers (I actually use 7-11's package which runs on Rogers network)

As we have the same issue up here (Only one connection but numerous people who want to use it) I will get one of these boxes and give it a try.

Next trip down to nica land is not planned until 2013 to try it down there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast