Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

And the years tick by...

Taking the modem off the shelf I thought I would give a kick at unlocking it again.

The catalyst was buying (another) wireless modem for my Mom - She uses little internet (below 500mb / month) so I just picked up a wireless modem and signed it up on a $15/mo 1Gb plan. She gave the teleco the boot and cut her total phone/net/TV bill by $80 !!.

With that I thought this old ZTE should not be too hard to hack 2 years on... ..

Google found me https://www.dc-unlocker.com/zte-mf63...d-unlock-guide

It unlocked the Modem and connected to Rogers via a chip in my Son's phone. Something it refused to do before.

So next trip I will take up the Claro package (1 month Prepaid) probably the C$500 / 5Gb plan @2mbps . And if things get bad I can pop in a Movistar sim to see if their network is better..

It looks like that software does unlock quite a few.. You may want to try the same if you are adventurous.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Movistar 3.5G wireless Prepaid... Lets see if I have this straight...

So.. What happened..

Well the removal of the lock sent the auto configure into blank stare mode..

I had to download the drivers from the ZTE New Zealand site and then plug in the Movistar APN settings..

http://www.zte.co.nz/main/Product_Do..._downloads.htm

APN internet.movistar.ni
    Dial number *99#
    APN Username movistarni
    APN Password movistarni

Proxy 10.12.23.1 <- Important

P.S. The Claro would work with similar data from Claro (Will look it up) it is just all of the work changing chips and troubleshooting left to Movistar chip in the dongle..

Blog Entries

So Bill are you using MS or Claro for internet. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Been seriously considering cancelling my contract with Claro and going to pre paid. Have been paying attention lately and it looks like they run promotions all the time like for the phone bonuses. Let us know how all that works out, approx cost per day, etc.

My bill is a little over 500 cord a month and the service is absolute crap, if I can figure out a way to pay less for crappy service I might as well do it. I have been holding on thinking that they would improve the system on the Island but I doubt they ever will.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Right now MS - But I have a Claro turned on as well in the Android phone.. Both with the 15 days - 1GB for C$300 for the faster speed.... It is giving me a true 5mbps... If I have to renew it will probably be the 5GB @ 2mbps..

I will swap in the Claro chip tonight and double check on the Modem for the following that worked for the phone..

Service provider: Claro
    APN: web.emovil
    Username: webemovil
    Password: webemovil

Proxy: 10.6.32.2
    - Port: 8080

Blog Entries

I think all I need is the slowest speed because that is all you ever get on the Island, I think.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So here is the summary....

We had 2 SIM cards One Claro, one Movistar.. Both were filled by ezetop... Easier than running back and forth for recharges.

The Claro chip was (mostly) in a cheap android phone the Movistar chip in the modem most of the time.

Movistar gave the best service...

Using the NAV7 (500MB for 7 days @ $8 ) the "Data counter" on the dongle would typically reflect 400ish to 520ish mb of data being transpired.

Using the NAV15 option sent to 7000 (1GB for 15 days) the data counter only got to 700mb and once was only 500mb.

Claro..

Using the 1g to 8833 yielded about the same 700mb but there were 3 full days of "No service"

Download speed from both fluctuated between a frustrating 5kb/s up to a blinding 250kb/s..

Here are some tips

1) If connection is slow, disconnect and reconnect - There seems to be a selection of "slots" you log in to.. Some fast, some slow.. If you connect and disconnect enough one will stick..

2) The ZTE driver is buggy.. If your modem is ZTE first try a full shut down of the ZTE drive by task manager before you go blaming the provider.
    2a) This is almost for sure the issue if your PC hibernates or you switch user logins on a PC frequently.

3) Movistar does not send you a message when you are close to the end of your usage. Claro does send a message but was not always 100% .

I would guess we spent $65 on internet and phone over the 22 days .

If you just turn on a PC once a day, browse some news mail and other content poor sources (No video, no audio streaming) the Claro 1G or Movistar NAV15 option (Both 15 days for 1gb @ $8) should be a good bet.

If I had to do it again this is what I would do...

2 chips, one android phone, one android tablet with data (Like Nexus 7 with GSM) One Modem..

Do regular browsing on the tablet. Should you need to access the net with a laptop or regular PC, set the tablet or phone to "tether by wireless" on either the phone or the tablet.

Only use the modem for things that need the speed (Video, windows updates, etc etc.)

One other tip as well. Set windows updates and all other software(s) to a method that makes you approve updates. I suspect a lot of lost data from data counters were updates to the OS that the counter might not track.. But that is assuming Movistar and Claro are honest in their data package adverts..

Cheers.

Excellent info, Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12