Thread: A day in the life....

Blog Entries

Default A day in the life....

Another beautiful day, 3 days without a drop of rain, looked at last years records, the same 3 days last year yielded just shy of 10 inches of rainfall. Needless to say it has been hectic, a dozen things to get done and a dozen more that need attention. This morning I had to pull myself out of bed, I am sore.

Before 6am the machete men show up and get started, looked like they could complete the front 1.5 acres today, I had been out before 5am staking any small trees and clearing around them so that they would not cut them down, yesterday they cut 2 citrus trees and somehow 2 coconut trees. They were catching up to me fast and coming to an area with dozens of small papaya and fruit trees, I told them either chop around the area or take their time and clear around the trees (which are in rows), I had something else come up that I had to handle and could not continue clearing and staking for a while. Trying to put out another fire and I hear the chopping resume at a frenzied pace, not what I wanted to hear from that spot, I walked over to where they were chopping, started at A and ended somewhere near Z in the foul language dictionary. I think at one point I may have been jumping up and down, but I cannot swear to that. Cool down man I told myself, only year old trees they have been cutting down like weeds, what's a year. Walked back to the house, composed myself, most of the trees I have spares for in my "nursery", it could have been worse.

Apologized, said I was sorry for any comments about them or their ancestors. They said it was getting hot and would come back later, no problem, I agreed, things were a little warm.

I go to cleaning more Plantain sucker, going well, I grab a leaf and I guess a wasp too, get a sting on the hand, no big deal, I figure an average of 6 stings per acre, wasps love Plantain for their nest, I once got the 6 stings in one lick, unpleasant but expected, yesterday 2 stings, 1 today, only 3 per acre, that's fine by me. Cleaning the sucker is something I really enjoy, it is very soothing to me and it usually takes a sting to wake me from it's trance.

The wash woman was hanging up clothes on the line (understand, I am the maid, cook, gardener, et al, but I have yet to master the Pila, so I am dependent on help in order to have clean clothes) and I saw her 2-3 yr old son on the porch where I have a few hundred seedlings, figured I better go investigate. I have gotten in the habit of sometimes counting to 10 before talking, while counting to 10 I told myself what a beautiful day it was, how good things looked, 9, 10, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU BOY, YOU BUMP YOUR HEAD, HAUL YOUR ASS OFF MY PORCH. Half a dozen 2 month old china pepper seedlings lay on the ground and all kind of mess in my seed flats. Ok, no problem I have more. Composed myself, went back to the sucker.

Wash woman calls me , I come back towards the house, she needs more clothes pins, about that time I spot the boy with a handful of small china peppers, 7,8,9, then I see the plant he pulled them from, it was pulled from the ground (6-7 month old plant, just starting to bear), never made it to 10. BOX YOUR ASS, BOTH OF YOU, BETTER I JUST BUY NEW CLOTHES, CAN'T AFFORD YOUR HELP. Paid her and went back to the sucker.

Before going back to the sucker I put 2 beers in the freezer, told myself the faster I finished cleaning the sucker, the sooner I could get to the beer.

Finished cleaning the sucker, poppped the first beer, ahhh, yes this is life. Drinking the beer reading a few emails and making a post, something was wrong, felt it, then heard the dog getting anxious on the porch, walked outside and saw this. (see photo)

This is nothing out of the ordinary, in fact I have stopped repairing my fence on the back acre, last year I thought I was smart putting up cement post to fix the problem, a cement post does not stand up to a half ton cow, I have given up, tired of wasting money. Last year I solved the problem for several months, even had people fixing the fence for me. After weeks of sending out messages to the owner I had enough so one day I cut off a tail. The next day the response was quick, why, what the Hell. No big deal I explained, but I grew up around cows and getting close enough to cut ones tail off means I could have done more had I wished, next time it is the head, solutions were quickly found, fast forward a year and I guess memories wear thin.

To get to the spot they were grazing in the photo they had to make their way through 1.5 acres of head high GREEN grass (I wish they would work on that). They are still in the back and in an hour or so I will have some help, we will drive them out the front putting them within a few feet of the runway shortly before the planes come, the Military guards on the runway have the orders to shoot any livestock as needed. Not my cows, not my problem.

All of this before noon. One of the best days in months, lots of work done, some good sun for the plants, the place is shaping back up. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings, and I am only half way through today.

Shake Head, Rinse, Repeat....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: A day in the life....

3pm now, the machete men just showed back up (and it is blistering hot). Life is good.

Blog Entries

A little Tona and a nap seems to have been good therapy ....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Just happy to see some progress, scared to go out and see what they are cutting down, hanging on the porch, trying to keep my tongue tied.

2 ice cold Tonas and a nap (with the fan raging) did help. Have to either get back out in it or head to Brig Bay for some errands, right now the blistering heat sounds more appealing.

Blog Entries

When I was 15 my father bought me a couple of young cows. I was to raise them up and sell them at auction for my first car.

Cows will find a way to get through a barb wire fence. We didn't have the fancy stuff you have, I think we had three strands.

I would come home from school and my mom would tell me my cows were out. I would have to go out looking for them and try to heard them back, and then try to figure out where they got out and fix it.

One time in the late summer my cows got out. I chased them but they were getting further and further from our place. Next thing you know they are in some old guys beautiful veg garden. My cows were knocking down stalks of corn, trampling tomatoes, squishing cabbage. The old guy was hollering at me and making me nervous. I had no idea what to do. I finally got them out of there and he was yelling at me from behind all the way home. I felt about one inch high.

That was in 1975. That old guy is long gone now, but I still remember how bad I felt.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

The stray livestock does not bother me much anymore, last year it had me in fits, almost every day for a month this herd (numbering up to 100 head) was coming onto the property, eating anything and everything, and destroying fences.

Yesterday's damage, 7 rows of corn that was planted 45 days ago, the corn was just field corn and likely destined for pig food anyway, had it been the sweet corn I will soon plant then I might have been upset.

Animals are smart, you have to give them that, walk through 1.5 acres of beautiful grass, they knew something better lie ahead. Never did get a good count yesterday, the grass is higher than the cows, guess they finally found their way out or maybe a few are lost in the grass. I would love to have 100 cows come in and graze every few weeks, the manure alone would be worth the inconvienence.

Seldom a week goes by that a stray horse, cow, or goat doesn't find it's way onto the property, many times through my front gate which I seldom if ever shut. A week or 2 ago a cow and calf came in, I watched them graze for a few hours, part of the time from the hammock, as long as they stay out of the garden I don't have a problem. I enjoy watching them, usually tie the dog so he doesn't disturb them.

Yesterday turned out amazing even with the few minor hiccups. The place is looking good, another clear day is shaping up as the sun rises this morning, may get lucky and get the chopped grass dried and raked if this keeps up another day or so.

Blog Entries

As usual, got up with the chickens, having coffee on the poch and watching the sun come up well before 5am. The sunrise revealling day 4 of sunshine. A neighbor is playing George Jones singing Gospel. Ismael should appear in the next hour to help in the garden. Can't beat it with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    As usual, got up with the chickens, having coffee on the poch and watching the sun come up well before 5am. The sunrise revealling day 4 of sunshine. A neighbor is playing George Jones singing Gospel. Ismael should appear in the next hour to help in the garden. Can't beat it with a stick.
    In 98 I stayed in the Hotel Estrella in SJDS for several months. I had my desktop with me with speakers and booster and would rock the hotel with music. I had these two little parrots that would come under the tin and sit and listen to Dwight Yoakam sing the Streets of Bakersfield. Don't know why, but they seemed to appreciate this song most of all; me, I preferred "Hotel California."

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Gotta say, Kevin, it's soooo much easier (and more amusing) to read about it than live it!

Having been through this stuff, my first hand experiences tell me that you may soon be called the next "cow killer". We went down your same path and ended up with that dubious title. Still involved in the legal ramifications of that BS.

I feel for you with the workers cutting without looking! I'm too hot headed to handle that properly (don't think I can count that high!!!), I just insist on doing the cutting myself with machinery.

Buena suerte with all your adventures!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

I tell people all the time how amusing and funny this story is, if it were not my own it would be so much more so.

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    In 98 I stayed in the Hotel Estrella in SJDS for several months. I had my desktop with me with speakers and booster and would rock the hotel with music. I had these two little parrots that would come under the tin and sit and listen to Dwight Yoakam sing the Streets of Bakersfield. Don't know why, but they seemed to appreciate this song most of all; me, I preferred "Hotel California."
    Back in the day when it cost U$5 dollars a night to stay on the beach in SJDS! I stayed in that hotel once.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The stray livestock does not bother me much anymore, last year it had me in fits, almost every day for a month this herd (numbering up to 100 head) was coming onto the property, eating anything and everything, and destroying fences.

Yesterday's damage, 7 rows of corn that was planted 45 days ago, the corn was just field corn and likely destined for pig food anyway, had it been the sweet corn I will soon plant then I might have been upset.

Animals are smart, you have to give them that, walk through 1.5 acres of beautiful grass, they knew something better lie ahead. Never did get a good count yesterday, the grass is higher than the cows, guess they finally found their way out or maybe a few are lost in the grass. I would love to have 100 cows come in and graze every few weeks, the manure alone would be worth the inconvienence.

Seldom a week goes by that a stray horse, cow, or goat doesn't find it's way onto the property, many times through my front gate which I seldom if ever shut. A week or 2 ago a cow and calf came in, I watched them graze for a few hours, part of the time from the hammock, as long as they stay out of the garden I don't have a problem. I enjoy watching them, usually tie the dog so he doesn't disturb them.

Yesterday turned out amazing even with the few minor hiccups. The place is looking good, another clear day is shaping up as the sun rises this morning, may get lucky and get the chopped grass dried and raked if this keeps up another day or so.
    Get either a Paintgun or a Wrist Rocket- use the steel balls- and you can lay in your hammock and pick them off.