Thread: Spirit airlines to fly daytime flights to mga in september

Default Spirit airlines to fly daytime flights to mga in september

The airline everyone loves to hate due to the nickle and dime b.s. fees, will have daytime flights again in September.

I was perusing flights and found that they will now fly out of FLL around noontime which is excellent for everyone concerned.

A noon arrival places you at the latest by 5-6 p.m. to some of the more distant cities.

These idiots dont get it!
    those nasty midnight flights are a pain in the ass, particularly for a viejo like me!.

I am still pissed about the stupid $40 carryon bag fee they imposed!....

How I yearn for the old LANICAlanica-880..jpg
    flights where you could take 3 full-size suitcases

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spirit airlines to fly daytime flights to mga in september

The one time I flew them I was standing in line at the MGA airport waiting to check in for the midnight flight, my phone rang, flight cancelled, only flying every other day then, what a pain. I loved the fact the flew from FLL, much easier on me than MIA, but the cancelled flight ended up costing 2 days hotel, savings were negative.

I always fly out of MIA, but for the sake of asking where is FLL airport?
    I never said I was normal !

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirebat View Post
    I always fly out of MIA, but for the sake of asking where is FLL airport?
    ft.lauderdale,fl.

Blog Entries

FLL is nice, serviced by SWA.

I have a good story about that airport, not sure I should share it, but what the heck.

One day I was having a beer there, reading a book waiting for a flight, a large man sat next to me, you could feel him coming. I read to the end of the page and looked up to see who had invaded my space. Holy Shit, it was OJ. Seen him there before, no big deal. Maybe the beer or the book was making me silly, called a good friend I knew would enjoy the story, whispered to him I had a serious problem and then put OJ on the phone, when the phone was handed back to me my friend asked does he have a knife, was I in any danger. I wish I could find the pic, it is truly priceless. My friend is a bigger Jackass than myself, my life has been full of this kind of stupidness.

Blog Entries

When I wrote that yesterday I had no clue OJ had dropped Jail. I am clueless about many things, some by choice, but most because I am an idiot, would rather talk to the dog or plants than watch TV. Have been caught a few times watching Zinc rust, was once seen massaging a rock (shortly before I split it with a sledge hammer).

My Jackass friend I called and put OJ on the phone with is moving to Vegas in a few weeks. I have given him till the end of the year for my OJ call.

Known my friend almost 30 yrs and in that time we have constantly tried to one up the other in craziness. OJ calling me in Nica may get my friend the crown, not sure I can top that.

Someday I will do something constructive, but I don't think it will be today.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The one time I flew them I was standing in line at the MGA airport waiting to check in for the midnight flight, my phone rang, flight cancelled, only flying every other day then, what a pain. I loved the fact the flew from FLL, much easier on me than MIA, but the cancelled flight ended up costing 2 days hotel, savings were negative.
    That is a fluke!. However, for those that do not know, in the mid 90's the airfares to Nicaragua were outrageous. The prices were in the $400-500 range.

And of course they jacked the price to the $700-800 range for x-mas and semana santa!. One time, it was cheaper to go to Paris than Managua....

The MIA-MGA route is the most profitable route for TACA and American.

When Spirit came on the scene 3 years ago, prices dropped big time.....

Problem is that many Nicas are lazy and refuse to drive to FLL. Secondly many of them are computer illiterate and dont like the fact that Spirit Airlines does not have ticket offices!!!!. To this day, there are many nicas in Miami that do not know that Spirit Airlines exists. This due to Spirit's lack of advertising in Miami nica newspapers. Of course, travel agents where many nicas go to buy their tickets still, will not tell them about Spirit airlines.

That being said, the carry-on fee has pissed me off to no end!. I always want to have some clothes in case the suitcase does not arrive. This happened all the time with IBERIA (good riddance!).

Blog Entries

Not sure about a fluke, but it happened, at the time fairly frequently I was told.

The trip I made down on Spirit was full and was entirely Nicaraguans except maybe 5 foreigners, most on the plane were Costenas.

The best thing about Spirit is that they drove down American's Prices to MGA (from MIA anyway). My first several trips down I was paying $500 plus, 2-3 years later the fares Eventually worked down to less than $300. Coming to and from the Coast the schedule just did not make much sense, seemed you always ended up an extra day in waiting, making the savings dissappear. Man though using FLL was almost worth that.

A few times I got fares on American and I think the one on Spirit that were about the same as the flight to the Coast (approx $165), competition is good, no doubt.

Only flew them the one time, no real gripes, just cost me an extra 2 days expenses , just another airline. Just wish they would have called me before I was in line to check in (and already checked out of a hotel).

Blog Entries

A bit of Harold Meyerson's opinion column (8/6/13, WaPo) titled, "A hard landing for the middle class" struck home with me:
    "... low-cost airlines ... The new business model, apparently, is to shrink the seats, charge extra for everything and offer nothing for free that might be construed as an amenity. That’s certainly the credo of Spirit Airlines, which charges its benumbed passengers a fee for their carry-on bags, $3 for water and $10 for printing out boarding passes and whose seats don’t recline. Spirit boasts one of the highest profit margins in the industry and plans to expand by 15 percent to 20 percent every year for the next eight years, according to the Los Angeles Times. It also ranks dead last in customer satisfaction — indeed, in last year’s Consumer Reports survey, it had one of the lowest overall customer satisfaction scores of any company in any industry that the magazine had ever surveyed.
    "But people fly Spirit Airlines because the fares are what they can afford."

And we're going to Nicaragua cause it's what we can afford.

P.S. Daytime flights? A myth or temporary come-on, I presume.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I could not care less, I am used to Hardships and Hardship postings, and I travel light when I have to... I will try them myself the next time I do fly, the only thing I am really interested in is the Safety/Maint. factor on their planes to be quite honest about things.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

A neiphiew took them past Nov and while they (him and his wife) stated the service was underwhelming, it was not "bad" perse ...

I want to give them a shot. There is a long lost cousin that Chilo and Nella (SIL) bumped into on the i-net last fall who lives close to NYC. We were to do US turkey day with him but that fell through. Now there is talk in going to Nica the same time as him to celebrate his 50th. Next March I am told.

Chilo has not seen him since 1983 when Chilo's Mom shipped her up to Matere when Uncle Sandie wanted to ship Chilo off to the coffee farms.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??