Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viva Rancho Santana!!!

Blog Entries

Default Viva Rancho Santana!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but if a financial blog owns a real estate development, wouldn't a conflict if interest make you a bit skeptical? Anyone on TRN gonna buy there?

A Surprising Destination in Troubling Times How Nicaragua is Benefiting from the Economic Crisis
    Reporting from Rivas, Nicaragua...

...Down here in Nicaragua, your editor has spent the last couple of days in the company of Daily Reckoning readers who are here to kick the tires of Rancho Santana, a beachfront development owed by the publishers of The Daily Reckoning.

What's known about this speculation is that the beaches are pretty, the weather is warm...and the sunsets are gorgeous. What's not know about this speculation is...well...everything else.

A short list of the unknowns would include:
    1) The trajectory of political risk in the country;
    2) The stability of the currency.
    3) Respect for the rule of law.
    In other words, the Nicaraguan unknowns are identical to the US unknowns. The main difference is that the Nicaraguan unknowns sell for about one twentieth the price of the US unknowns.

"What's happening down here these days, Mark?" your editor asked Mark Brown, the guy who runs Rancho Santana. "Are sales picking up or stagnating?"

"Well, actually, they are picking up a bit," Mark replied.

"That's surprising," your editor answered. "Aren't you feeling the effects of the slowdown up in the States?"

"Well yes and no," said Mark. "We're getting a different kind of a buyer now. Four years ago, every American had at least $100,000 of equity in his home, if not $200,000 or $300,000. So it was pretty easy to pull out some of that equity to finance the purchase of a lot down here...as a future second home. But after the crisis hit, that all went away."

"So what happened next?" your editor asked. "Did prices fall a bit? And who's buying now?"

"Well, yeah, demand cooled for a little while," Mark continued. "But then we got a new type of buyer. These folks are motivated to buy property here because of the crisis."

"How's that?"

"Well first," Mark explained, "you need to understand that everyone lost a lot of money in 2008. Everyone. So there are some folks who lost so much of their retirement funds that they are forced to choose between going back to work or cutting their expenses. Going back to work is not a great choice for most. So buying a retirement property down here is one way to cut expenses. It's much cheaper here than, say, Florida."

"Makes sense."

"Then you've got a lot of other folks who also lost some money in the crisis, but who still have substantial net worth. They're sitting there with a couple million bucks and don't know how to invest it. They're nervous about the stock market and they can't get any yield from the bond market. So they're saying to themselves, "Hey maybe I should diversify into foreign real estate. And besides, I like it down here!"

"That's pretty interesting," your editor replied. "So are you saying that the crisis has been good for sales?"

"Actually, yes," Mark smiled. "And it feels like the trend is just starting. Another piece of the puzzle is the rapid rollout of communications technology. Not very long ago, there was no Internet here and barely any phone service. Now we've got state-of the-art everything. So you can be physically distant from whatever you used to call 'home,' but still be totally connected. That's a very new phenomenon. And one that could influence the pricing of real estate worldwide."

Your editor would not have guessed that a financial crisis in America would produce demand for beachfront property in Nicaragua...but neither would he have ruled it out. Crises always produce a surprising list of beneficiaries. In fact, that's the purpose of a crisis - to redistribute opportunity from the slow to the quick; from the infirm to the healthy.

This dynamic does not merely pertain to enterprises within a given national economy, but also to national economies themselves.

National economies follow a kind of life-cycle. When one nation's economy becomes too encumbered with constraints - be they political, regulatory or financial - to operate successfully, it cedes market share to others.

Let the reader decide which nations are sickly and which are healthy; which offer a range of opportunities and which impose an array of risks. In the column below, the inimitable Doug Casey sheds more light on this topic...
    http://dailyreckoning.com/how-nicara...onomic-crisis/

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Viva Rancho Santana!!!

Roughly translated - Vultures move down market ?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

the Nicaraguan unknowns are identical to the US unknowns. The main difference is that the Nicaraguan unknowns sell for about one twentieth the price of the US unknowns.
    I'd agree with this, especially the first part, except for the 1/20th price thingy. Living in a gated community means much higher cost of living than for expats living in town or in the countryside!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

It's overpriced even at 1/20.

i'm going to check up on that daily reckoning.... are they making thier note? maybe they have thier own crisis?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Active TRN Member

Spoke to one of their workers the other day. Workforce has been cut from about 80 people to 20 people. The prices he mentioned are staggering!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    The prices he mentioned are staggering!
    what kinda prices?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    what kinda prices?
    Several hundreds of 1,000s of $s for a lot well under a manzana. Not sure how accurate he was, it was just a casual conversation with someone I barely knew. Also, he spoke with a thick Rivas accent which I find really hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but if a financial blog owns a real estate development, wouldn't a conflict if interest make you a bit skeptical? Anyone on TRN gonna buy there?

A Surprising Destination in Troubling Times How Nicaragua is Benefiting from the Economic Crisishttp://dailyreckoning.com/how-nicara...onomic-crisis/
    Interesting...here in Leon and on the beaches of Leon...the market is slow...as in dead.

We have the best road in NicaLand to the beaches...but pricings are ???...here there are not comps...so difficult to tell..but little is for sale or sold...Simple..there are NO buyers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Several hundreds of 1,000s of $s for a lot well under a manzana. Not sure how accurate he was, it was just a casual conversation with someone I barely knew. Also, he spoke with a thick Rivas accent which I find really hard to follow.
    bummer....

makes me feel good i bought where and when i did....

Cool Re: Viva Rancho Santana!!!

bummer....

makes me feel good i bought where and when i did....
    Speaking of Rancho Santana I'm in the process of hiring an architect to build me a house
    yeppers a 2500 ft house with swimming pool and gardens not to mention...room for the dogs...

Now I know how big to make the dog house but what I don't know is the size of a caretakers house? or what should be in it besides bathroom and bedrooms. So if one of you nice kind people could advise me I'd be grateful.

As for Marc Brown..I'd love to be able to tell you he's lying through his teeth but he's not ..they've actually sold many of the condos, and I know of two lots personally that were sold this past month. However, as for resales..it sucks big time. Those of us who paid around 80k for a lot back in 2005 would be lucky to get 60k now depending what part of the development its in.

On a positive note...the clubhouse and pool are being renovated and from what I hear via the grapevine it's awesome. Personally speaking I'm glad I bought there and building my house on my mole hill. But to each their own!
    Jazzriel

O! for a horse with wings! ~William Shakespeare, Cymbeline

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzriel View Post
    Speaking of Rancho Santana I'm in the process of hiring an architect to build me a house
    yeppers a 2500 ft house with swimming pool and gardens not to mention...room for the dogs...

Now I know how big to make the dog house but what I don't know is the size of a caretakers house? or what should be in it besides bathroom and bedrooms. So if one of you nice kind people could advise me I'd be grateful.

As for Marc Brown..I'd love to be able to tell you he's lying through his teeth but he's not ..they've actually sold many of the condos, and I know of two lots personally that were sold this past month. However, as for resales..it sucks big time. Those of us who paid around 80k for a lot back in 2005 would be lucky to get 60k now depending what part of the development its in.

On a positive note...the clubhouse and pool are being renovated and from what I hear via the grapevine it's awesome. Personally speaking I'm glad I bought there and building my house on my mole hill. But to each their own!
    welcome back! been lurking? come out and play, the water's warm... and jpjw needs you!

btw, love your backside!

Blog Entries

She's alive! And turns up right as JW emerges from hiding. Hmm.....

A caretaker's house is pretty small and has just what you say plus a small kitchenette and a laundry sink. Maybe 600-800 square feet tops for the house. I posted a floor plan of one on TRN somewhere.

do you have an architect?

josh and john are nica familiar anglos who happen to be architects.... just sayin.....

do you have an architect?

josh and john are nica familiar anglos who happen to be architects.... just sayin.....

I'm getting a proposal from Tino Mendieta first week of September.

Hey...just saw something about JPJW being ill? What happened? I wish him a speedy recovery and drink to his health
    Jazzriel

A caretaker's house is pretty small and has just what you say plus a small kitchenette and a laundry sink. Maybe 600-800 square feet tops for the house. I posted a floor plan of one on TRN somewhere.
    I'm alive and well and still causing trouble where ever I go

I think I totally pissed off the entire RS email group ...they just didn't like my sense of humor..LOL I'm kinda worried they might burn down my house once it's built ...now you know why I need a caretaker house!

I admit it..I had John held captive on the mole hill.. however, he broke free a few nights ago and ran to safety...guess I was just to much for him to handle. I totally wore him out!

Will look for the floor plan...in the meantime..how has everyone else been? I just bought a 2 yr old warm-blood this past Novemeber and he's been keeping me busy. Just finished conformation shows (yes, kinda like the dog shows you see on TV) and he came in Reserve Champion in all off PA. My Trainers horse beat us...oh well! It's cool to lose to friends
    Jazzriel

Forgot to ask one question....it may be stupid but here it goes....do I put a/c in it?
    Jazzriel

Blog Entries

600-800s/f???? I want to be your caretaker, that is twice the size of my house.

My experience is limited, but I have yet to a see a caretaker's house like that, I am sure some exist, but not on a lot, maybe an estate. I would love to see it. When you build your caretaker this palace how much would you pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzriel View Post
    Forgot to ask one question....it may be stupid but here it goes....do I put a/c in it?
    yes, but not central a/c.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    600-800s/f???? I want to be your caretaker, that is twice the size of my house.

My experience is limited, but I have yet to a see a caretaker's house like that, I am sure some exist, but not on a lot, maybe an estate.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    +1
    my palapa will pale in comparison

lct will have a new target for his class envy pursuits..... and go!

Blog Entries

The caretaker will remove the A/C unit and sell it.

Here is the plan, which has 2 bedrooms and a luxurious front porch.

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/john...s/cuidador.pdf

Blog Entries

My new term of the day "Jalousie Window" ... Better that "Those slotted window thingies"

And Sir Jonh of draft table, that is very accurate reflection of a upper end care taker house.. Of the 4 or 5 I have seen they were all wood construction on concrete formation with 2 rooms. (Living/kitchen are and one bed room).

Thanks for the link, was having problems finding it. Never thought of the stealing aspect!
    Jazzriel

yes, but not central a/c.

I'm not putting central air in mine either...sheesh, the thought of the bill makes me want to
    Jazzriel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast