Thread: Crab Soup

Blog Entries

Default Crab Soup

August 27th, the celebration of emancipation from slavery on Corn Island, Crab Soup Festival.

To eat the soup in style you need a Calabash. Sparing no expense (15 cords) I comissioned a local artist to design my 2010 Calabash Bowl, last year I made my own, but it was no where as cool, this year I will eat soup in grand style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crab Soup

Planes like rice this morning, boats from the Main arriving full.

Here is a story from a few years back.

The Soup.
    This soup was the dream of Mr Marvin. When I arrived on the island 10 days or so before the festival everyone told me Marvin was wanting to make a soup this year. Marvin confirmed this at our daily meetings. Well a week before the Fest Marvin & I set out on a mission, to make a soup. This is easier said than done, for some reason there were no vegetables on the island (the boat had only brought cabbage or something that week, that is another story), but we were told by many sources on Corn Island & in Bluefields that the following 2 boats were to be flush with produce. We made our list & checked it & made any needed changes at our daily meetings. For the soup we would need (as I remember) Crab (more about this later), Pig tail, Cow tail, onions, hot peppers, sweet peppers, carrots, potatoes, small pumpkin, cassava, chayote, celery, garlic.
    Well it took us a few days to gather all of this up, then we had to find a pot big enough for all of this, get some water & coal for the cooking.
    Only one thing was left, getting the crabs. At one of our morning meetings Marvin & I decided that we would hunt crabs that night, we broke the meeting up in the early afternoon & both he & I went to siesta. The hunting grounds were to be in Jackson Swamp after nightfall. Some of you may remember my posts about the swamp & the dangers there, it is full of snakes, mosquitoes, crabs, mean dogs, you name it & of course it is also the location of Marvin's house.
    I arrived in the swamp at the designated time, Marvin said he felt it was a little early & that perhaps it would be best if before we go into the heart of the insect infested swamp we take some of his "antimalaria potion", we took some & when the time came to hunt we both felt that we had drank enough of the potion to be protected from any of the evils of the swamp. We were wrong. It was a dark night & even with flashlights it was dark, dark, dark. We were doing well with the crabs & near to meeting out Quota when I heard a scream in the swamp "He's Got Me Man!!!! He's Got Me!!!!" I was engaged with a crab at the time was having a fight of my own. I got my crab in the bucket & went to investigate. Marvin had got it good from a big crab, they had to pull the claw off of the crab & it was still latched on to him. We decided to call it a night, so we headed back to the house, we doctored Marvin's injuries & had more of the potion just to guarantee no malaria. It was decided we would meet the next day to clean the crabs (catching them is only half of the problem), took a few hours to clean them & prep them for the freezer.
    To make a long story (this one could go on for awhile) short we had one hell of a soup Thanks to Funia's guidance & watchfull eye. We cooked the soup across from the "ball field" on South End where most of the action is on the Sunday of Crab Soup Festival.
    Islanders from all over the country & several other countries had returned for the fest & it was a real kick to meet everyone's reletives that live away. The Fest was a blast I will be there next year. Marvin says he is not going to be involved with a soup next year, but I bet with time he may change his mind.
    We had soup like rice..

what was is that the soup nazi on the sienfeld show used to say? oh yea, "no soup for you!"
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Without pix of the made soup and the recipe, it just don't count.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

No recipe, just throw whatever you got in the pot. I will try to get some pics today.

The drums are beating since before 4am, they circle the Island in truck back beating on drums.

A light rain just started, will be another 30 minutes or so before it is light enough to get a good idea of the cloud cover, I see a few stars so maybe it is not too bad, always seems to rain on the 27th.

Ya know how to catch hairy crabs? Ya place a mirror down and when they jump down stab them with an ice pic. So watch out for crab soup with hairs in it.

Blog Entries

Everyone knows you need water to make soup, maybe that is why it always rains on the 27th. Rain like rice right now.

Active TRN Member

Guess who had a camera that day...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

That time of year, sorry about all the links. Show a little heart, click them, make Fyl believe someone is still reading. Today while searching the web about Crab Soup, I have found at least half a dozen sites using my photos, so you better believe anything you put on the Web will be used with no credit given. Good thing I take really
    shitty pics.

Enjoy. The Soup.... 170 yrs this year.

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6153

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6150

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6310

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6149

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6156

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/6158
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I know we are missing a bottle of rum, Now who took it?

‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I know we are missing a bottle of rum, Now who took it?

Do we need to call CSI Nicaragua
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Corn Island Crab.jpg
    Vicious pinchers on them. I bet they make good Run Down. Found this one over by Silver Sands one night, it wasn't scared of me.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Corn Island Crab.jpg
    Vicious pinchers on them. I bet they make good Run Down. Found this one over by Silver Sands one night, it wasn't scared of me.
    It knew it had eggs and needed to be left alone..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Yep, it flexed a couple times and made it clear it didn't wish to be bothered. The pic doesn't show the size very well. Im used to seeing ghost crabs along the beach down in NC and they don't get that big.

Blog Entries

Soup Time is Here!!!!

Drum practice has been going on for weeks and every afternoon North End sounds like a Parade. The excitement has been building and the weather is typical for Soup Time, hit or miss. The weekend will be full of activities, parades, dancing, you name it. Have not heard if they are having the Horse Races this year, that is always my favorite, they run them down long bay and it is a stuuning site with the ocean as a backdrop.

The planes will come full and often tomorrow, the coming boats will be loaded down with Islanders coming Home, no one wants to miss the Soup.

This week Ebenezer Baptist Church here in North End celebrates it's Birthday, and I can't tell you how many years, not sure. Sunday morning they will hold their annual Harvest Sale and that is always an event to see. You have to be there by 5am or all the good stuff is gone. All sorts of Island fruits, lots and lots of baked goods (I will be there at 5am for those), homemade crafts, you name it. The church serves as much as a community center for North End as it does a house of worship, so even Heathers like me send at least a little something for them to sale.

Was talking with a few of the neighbor women yesterday and discussing what to send, I think we are going to combine forces and do some baking.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The drums are making their 2nd round of the Island, first round was at 4am, 4:25 now. Let the festivities begin.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The drums are making their 2nd round of the Island, first round was at 4am, 4:25 now. Let the festivities begin.
    Don't you be a eating too much of that crab soup now... You already know it gets ya in trouble.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Crab soup crossing...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Revived this thread for happy Crab soup day....

Where is the Cook-mander and chief - He has not popped up in the last while..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Right here in States.
    Ernie K Doe

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar

Right here in States.
    so it's no longer "La Florida"?
    stay safe old amigo!!