Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cultural Divide

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Cultural Divide

Quote Originally Posted by howard cox View Post
    Quite an indictment. Why are you still living in The Empire? Views like this could get you a high-level job in the Obama administration- or perhaps working for Van Jones.
    I love the States; I'm pure gringo, living about half the time in Nicaragua. But, I confess, I see my country as its land and its people, regular folk, not the cocksuckers running the place.

Mr. Cox, if you too love your country, wouldn't you want what's best for it? The 'facts' tell the story: the 'intelligence' agencies & their government controllers in charge of US security seem to have been managed by some stupid clowns who wouldn't allow the men & women on the ground to do their jobs. Because, sir, we had the dope on those bastards.

We fight in the Middle East to 'defend America' and too too few of us speak Arabic or Farsi. Our soldiers can't even tell the difference between the good guys & the bad ones. Just like Nam.

Obama...Van Jones(?)...Bush...Palin...Boehner...Politics in the US is a circus sideshow for diabetic kids on a candy diet, IMO, sir.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Yeppers.........and by the grace of God and dry powder............that's the way it way and continues to this day! But one need to remember, that we have kept the powder dry.......for obvious reasons.
    More & more today a gun is not nearly as effective a weapon as a prepared mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    texas was taken by the texians, people of spanish descent and stephen f austin's colonials that had been invited in and then the constitution changed. both had serious challenges and settled them by leaving mexico.... usa had nothing to do with it....
    10 years later the texians made thier biggest mistake ever and joined the usa....
    Hey Dr.D, we're saying the same thing. What you say may have seemed implied to you, but I wrote, "During US’s expansionist period much Mexican territory was taken militarily." Your Texians did fight Gen. Santa Ana's army with guns, right? That's a military confrontation, similar to Afghanistan today: some homeboys fighting an army.

Or was John Wayne's Alamo movie based on a lie? And Davey Crockett was a regular Tennessean gringo who went along with other gringos to join the cause.

Blog Entries

So ignorance is bliss? Agreed- but who"s ignorance?
    Most of the time I'm happier knowing than not. And when the news makes me sad, more often than not, I'd still rather know than be ignorant.

You"re theory seems to be that all the world"s problems can be traced back to the U.S. ... when someone puts forward a world view based on "America is a Bad Place",
    my eyes tend to glace over.
    No way, sir, I don't think that at all. The opposite is true. I believe America is the world's greatest hope for the future, no BS. I just hate that stupid people rule America now. Besides I'm merely laying down the 'facts' for the sake of discussion about cultural differences between here & there.

But I guess someone had to replace Jason"s discredited ideaology.
    I know things got nasty between you two. But he hasn't been online for months. Why hit a man who can't defend himself?

Blog Entries

I did"nt know you were a Truther,Daddy-Yo. That would explain a lot.
    Neither did the YO-daddy, Señor Cox. I can identify with it being capitalized though.
    Please define 'Truther' for me, kind sir.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    ...or a University history professorship.
    Golly, thanks Bigh Jonh. Those folks are much smarter than I. I prefer chemistry, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    A prepared mind offers often a great argument. Old Colt doth it settle.

Blog Entries

The prepared mind can avoid the situation that requires the prepared pistol, but the odds of talking yourself out of an armed robbery do not favor the victim. And that's a scalable solution.

Most of the time I'm happier knowing than not. And when the news makes me sad, more often than not, I'd still rather know than be ignorant.

No way, sir, I don't think that at all. The opposite is true. I believe America is the world's greatest hope for the future, no BS. I just hate that stupid people rule America now. Besides I'm merely laying down the 'facts' for the sake of discussion about cultural differences between here & there.

I know things got nasty between you two. But he hasn't been online for months. Why hit a man who can't defend himself?
    It seems we agree on quite a bit. I have lived outside of the U.S. for over 20 yrs. mainly because "stupid people rule America now" Although my country is no longer the America I grew up in, I still believe it is the greatest country on earth. And I believe it"s best years are still ahead.
    As to "hitting a man who can"t defend himself" Jason is the one who ran away. He did this after accusing me being a prisoner in Nicaragua and the " U.S. would lock me up." He knew these were lies when he printed them, but by then, his radical views had collapsed around him, and he launched into a vicious personal attack. Being preached to on character by someone who has none I find particularly loathsome. I believe I have been quite disciplined in not relating what has happened to Jason"s life here in Granada since he bailed out on TRN. Suffice to say, my point has been proven.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    The prepared mind can avoid the situation that requires the prepared pistol, but the odds of talking yourself out of an armed robbery do not favor the victim. And that's a scalable solution.
    A prepared mind offers often a great argument. Old Colt doth it settle.
    I would say you both answered with your most effective weapon, wit.

"One can resist the invasion of an army but one cannot resist the invasion of ideas."
    - Victor Hugo

"One can resist the invasion of an army but one cannot resist the invasion of ideas."- Victor Hugo
    Do he be kin to Hugo Chavez? Maybe an inverted cousin of some sort?

Blog Entries

Do he be kin to Hugo Chavez? Maybe an inverted cousin of some sort?
    Well sir, as it turns out, evil Comandante Chávez was named at birth (innocent, though slimy) after the great French author.

Well sir, as it turns out, evil Comandante Chávez was named at birth (innocent, though slimy) after the great French author.
    ewwwwwwwwee!!!.....I nevah thought of just how slimy Baby Hugie was at birth!! Makes one wish to spit out a good chaw of baccy!

Hey Dr.D, we're saying the same thing. What you say may have seemed implied to you, but I wrote, "During US’s expansionist period much Mexican territory was taken militarily." Your Texians did fight Gen. Santa Ana's army with guns, right? That's a military confrontation, similar to Afghanistan today: some homeboys fighting an army.

Or was John Wayne's Alamo movie based on a lie? And Davey Crockett was a regular Tennessean gringo who went along with other gringos to join the cause.
    Maybe i am not explaining it well. both anglos and hispanics joined together to fight mexico. zavalla came up with the first flag of the republic of texas. many of the 254 counties of the republic of texas were named after hispanic men that fought with the texians. that's why it is repulsive for us texans when the hard left says that we discriminate against hispanics. we owe a lot to men of hispanic descent for the freedom we enjoy from the failed state of mexico.

but then 10 years later the republic of texas goofed and joined the union. we'd be better off with a strong treaty. our texas constitution is a lot easier to amend than the usa constitution...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

ewwwwwwwwee!!!.....I nevah thought of just how slimy Baby Hugie was at birth!! Makes one wish to spit out a good chaw of baccy!
    Venezuela holds legislative elections tomorrow. The 2008 elections here in Nicaragua were called " the most documented fraudulent elections in the history of Latin America" I believe Hugo will raise the bar tomorrow in Venezuela.

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    Maybe i am not explaining it well. both anglos and hispanics joined together to fight mexico. zavalla came up with the first flag of the republic of texas. many of the 254 counties of the republic of texas were named after hispanic men that fought with the texians. that's why it is repulsive for us texans when the hard left says that we discriminate against hispanics. we owe a lot to men of hispanic descent for the freedom we enjoy from the failed state of mexico.

but then 10 years later the republic of texas goofed and joined the union. we'd be better off with a strong treaty. our texas constitution is a lot easier to amend than the usa constitution...
    I, too, am from Texas. While I do agree with some of your arguments DD, I don´t see how anyone could argue that Republic of Texas was the result of the US expansionist movement. It is true that hispanics joined with anglos to fight Mexico. However, much of the the leadership who joined together at Washington on the Brazos (coincidence?) to declare independence from Mexico and write a constitution modelled after that of the United States of America were recently arrived anglos from the US! I don´t believe that the Texians actually believed that they would remain independent for long.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    I, too, am from Texas. While I do agree with some of your arguments DD, I don´t see how anyone could argue that Republic of Texas was the result of the US expansionist movement. It is true that hispanics joined with anglos to fight Mexico. However, much of the the leadership who joined together at Washington on the Brazos (coincidence?) to declare independence from Mexico and write a constitution modelled after that of the United States of America were recently arrived anglos from the US! I don´t believe that the Texians actually believed that they would remain independent for long.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Agreed! Me being a Texican also, Independence rings true, while cordiality with Washington was a plus, Texans by soul remain Independent even of Washington as of this day.

Even the signs along the highway, "Don't Mess With Texas," carry a dual message that should not be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    i didn't argue that texas was part of the usa expansionism... i argued that santana invited settlers then changed the constitution. the texicans then declared thier independence....

yes, i think the texicans feared mexico and clamored for statehood...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Texas, Oh how we used to laugh. Oklahoma will always be on top.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    when i was a kid, we used to say only 2 things come from oklahoma....

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Are you referring to Baja Oklahoma?

Blog Entries

Spinning that wheel of history once more:

Had the secessionist movement which established the Confederate States of America, with Texas + 10 other states, succeeded, their plans were to expand their territory to include Mexico and the Central American isthmus. Nicaragua would have likely become a Confederate state.

Just prior to the US Civil War, Wm Walker of Tennessee “organized several private military expeditions into Mexico & Central America, with the intention of establishing English-speaking colonies.” see Wiki (quoting from their article here) With 45 men he ‘conquered’ Baja which he named the “new Republic of Lower California” and made himself president. Mexico soon chased him out.

This was during the California gold rush and Nicaragua was the main crossing point for people & goods from the US East coast to the West. Cornelius Vanderbilt, the Wall Street tycoon, had an arrangement with Nicaragua to develop this route. But in 1854 Civil war broke out in Nicaragua between the parties of Leon & Granada. The president of Nicaragua, of the party of Leon, invited Walker & his mercenaries to fight on their side. Their defeat of Granada left Walker controlling the Nicaraguan army and thus the government. “U.S. President Franklin Pierce recognized Walker's regime as the legitimate government of Nicaragua on May 20, 1856.”

Vanderbilt’s subordinates tried to work out a deal with Walker, side-stepping boss Cornelius, but he caught on and “pressured the U.S. government to withdraw its recognition of Walker's regime.”

Walker meanwhile continued to talk of conquering Central America, so Costa Rica declared war and effectively knocked him out of Nicaragua. In his single year as president, he “launched an Americanization program, reinstating slavery, declaring English an official language and reorganizing currency and fiscal policy to encourage immigration from the United States.” Revoking Nicaragua's emancipation edict of 1824, increased Walker's popularity in the South and attracted investors.

Yes, Willie Walker was a hoot! There seem to be many stories of this man and his adventures. He is buried in the old boot hill in Trujillo, Honduras. I visited this site in 1989 to pay homage to my curiosity.

An interesting report of this gentleman is written http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist1/walker.html

By and by, he is said to have written six books of his adventures. I could not locate them.

I read this one last year before going down the Rio San Juan. A great read on Vanderbilt, Walker and the history of Nicaragua at that time.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...aragua&x=0&y=0

Blog Entries

Great find ... just downloaded it to my Kindle for $2.02 .... thanks

Could you please post about the trip?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast