Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr Box

Blog Entries

Default Mr Box

When Mr Box came to me he was nameless and remained so for a few weeks, he was nearly hairless, wormy, sickly, on and on, and of course damn ugly to boot. I gave him maybe 20% chance of survival. Fed him a day or 2, then gave him a dose of medicine that would drop a goat, the following day he looked pretty bad, figured I had done him a favor by putting him out of his misery. The entire time I had him quarantined to a box. The next day when I got up he was at the door waiting, fed him and then fed him again, he was so happy. Even after I let him run free he always returned to the (new) box, thus the name.
    His hair has since grown back, he has doubled in size and Max likes him, lets him jump and play all over him, surprising. Now he even barks at people and tries to bite them. He still heads to the box come bedtime, I have to find a bigger box this week, during the day he drags the box all over the porch, in and out of the sunlight depending on his mood, then jumps in for a nap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mr Box

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Awww....this is a SIGN for you, Kevin! You NEED to rescue dogs. I salute you for starting this on CI! I'm so proud of you!!!

Your know that your love for Mr.Box brought back memories of one in San Juan del Sur that all knew as "El Tigre."

This was in l998 and I made friends with this dog of the street. He had a corner that was his without dispute, and each morning as I journeyed out to view the happenings of the day, there was always El Tigre watching out for me.

His corner on the street was across from El Timon and Marie's Bar.

El Tigre was tiger stripped with a bobbed tail, and it was this tail that beaconed to me each day to pay tribute to the best friend that I had in San Juan del Sur. I would greet him and he would then walk with me to the beach and do his stretch and then run with the delight of the angels, gifted in sailing with the wind along the beach.

Renee, the owner of El Timon, would not permit animals within the restaurant, but El Tigre was an exception, as he would stroll in with me and lay obediently by my side as I ate and I would feed him, no interruptions, no problems. All knew El Tigre well.

He was not my dog by ownership, but we had this mutual respect for each other and enjoyed equally each others company for several months. Me in La Estrella and he on the corner by Marie's Bar; we each had our own place.

Hurricane Mitch came in to visit Nicaragua and the surrounding countries and did reek havoc on much of those to which it touched. I had a friend that wished to send a plane in for me to help me leave the devastation of Nicaragua, but I assured him that I was safe and no need for this rescue.

October 26, 1998 was a moment in the history of many of Nicaragua that they shall never forget, the inundation of the rains that swelled each brook and river beyond their capacities.

I remember hearing of La Casita and the taking of 4,000 lives in the massive landslide of the volcan and of hearing of the many lives lost to the floods.

In San Juan del Sur, we had eleven days of the rings of rain and the waves within the bahia did sink the boats of the fishers, with the palms blazing occasionally with the touch of the palm leaves against the electrical lines, but not a lot more.

After a couple of weeks, I felt that I should take a break and return to my family in Texas for Thanksgiving.......1998.

I started to pack my belongings and much to my surprise, El Tigre entered my room and laid down to study my movements. Never had he entered the hotel and absolutely never had he climbed to the second story of the hotel to find my room; but he knew that I was leaving and the soldier that he was, came to pay his respects.

I loved on him and loaded my van and headed out for Texas.

Well, this was not as easy as I thought that it would be, for past Leon toward Chinandaga, no road existed, so I turned to the highlands and went for it. I sat and waited a day by an arroyo to cross a low water crossing the had just been constructed and felt that I was home free, breezijg along the highway at some 70 mph, when I rounded a corner and skidded to the edge of the river to where there had been a bridge of some 150 yards of length.

It was not there! I parked and went to look for the possibility of a shoal downstream.

Walking along observing the devestation of the flood, one of the most beautiful women that I had ever seen, dressed in yellow and standing within all that remained of her home ask of me if I needed something to eat or a place to stay? I did not know that I would be here for six days helping in every manner called upon.

Embedded within my memories and within my heart is that to which I know as the loving people of Nicaragua and for this reason I returned.

You know that you always expect home to be that to which you left?

Upon arriving back in San Juan del Sur, I made by accommodations again at La Estrella and went rapidily to the street to find El Tigre.

He was not to be found.

My friend Renee saw that I was seeking the companionship of my friend El Tigre and came to me and told me that El Tigre had died while I was away.

To this day, I regret those boxes that arrive at my feet to tend and fail to tend as tenderly and richly as they arrived as true gifts to behold.

Tend Mr. Box, for he is a gift from heaven knows where, but your gift to tend.

Blog Entries

Life can be a beautiful adventure, even in the midst of disaster, when you follow your heart.
    Thanks for sharing yours Mr. Robertharvey. Nicely told, fella.

Man's relationship with the dog is key to what makes Homo sapiens human. It's symbiotic, together both have been stronger & better for it.

Blog Entries

Mr Box, and his box.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Too cute! Looks like he's soon gonna need a new box.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Hoped to find him a new box yesterday but no boats came in so no one had anything to unpack. He has just about outgrown his current box, tore it up some too. Maybe next week he will get a new and improved box, oh how happy he will be.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Mr Box, and his box.
    Yep, I do believe his box runneth over.

Blog Entries

Here is a pic from a few minutes ago. Mr Box is doing well.
    Ernie K Doe

Yep, he looks a far sight better than he did in the initial picture.

Blog Entries

Mr Box is quite a character and leaves me shaking my head at least once a day.

I know this is going to sound crazy, I am only now sitting down to my first beer, so I am not drunk, I think Mr Box is watching for Santa. Yesterday I noticed him looking to the sky, currently he is standing on a rock gazing into space. Something ain't right with this little dog.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Is the sun coming up or going down?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

No sun all day, cool and cloudy, a few showers, going to be a cold night.
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member

Mr Box is quite a character and leaves me shaking my head at least once a day.

I know this is going to sound crazy, I am only now sitting down to my first beer, so I am not drunk, I think Mr Box is watching for Santa. Yesterday I noticed him looking to the sky, currently he is standing on a rock gazing into space. Something ain't right with this little dog.
    Stupid dog waiting for pennies from heaven... should be looking out to sea instead!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

Mr Box is sick. Mr Box has been throwing up all day. Probably ate some poison. My big dog (Max) eats at home only, Mr Box is an Island dog and will take meals anywhere he can find them, I imagine some one got tired of him. Just poured half a gallon of coffee down his throat (local cure). See what the morning brings.
    Ernie K Doe

Sorry to hear of the illness of Mr. Box, Esquire. Give him a chaw of Bull of the Woods; if that don't finish him off, poison won't do it either.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Hope Mr Box is doing better!!!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Sorry to hear of the illness of Mr. Box, Esquire. Give him a chaw of Bull of the Woods; if that don't finish him off, poison won't do it either.
    Damn DSB the cowboy is to the bone ain't it?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Just checked on him, he is up and about, still too dark to tell how he looks. Crazy little dog.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The saga of Mr Box.

Yesterday I bought 3 pounds of meaty bones, boiled up some with rice for the dogs last night. Noticed Mr Box not eating (a rare event), This morning he looks crippled up. He is not much for people so I can't get my hands on him, Ismael will be here soon, usually he can get him.

No telling what he has ate, but it looks more like he was hit, maybe kicked by a horse or cow.

Never thought much about dogs, fed them gave them water, now my safety and well being is dependent on them, I spend a little time thinking about their welfare.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So you do have a heart after-all?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Been watching him all day and it don't look good. Imagine poison. He is still alive and he is a tough little bastard, so maybe he will pull through. Cooked him some rice, he did not eat.
    Ernie K Doe

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Been watching him all day and it don't look good. Imagine poison. He is still alive and he is a tough little bastard, so maybe he will pull through. Cooked him some rice, he did not eat.
    Been thru it myself, I feel for you and him. I hate heartless bastards....
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    Been thru it myself, I feel for you and him. I hate heartless bastards....
    ditto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast