Thread: Ometepe Airport

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Default Ometepe Airport

Which direction do you aviators think the airport in Mayogalpa will be situated? The airstrip here in Granada gets very little traffic. I can't imagine an airport on Ometepe would get much either.
    I rent rooms in my house by the day, week, month.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ometepe Airport

Granada has an airstrip?

I'm not familiar enough with Ometepe to guess where and how it will be situated, but the runway will be aligned with the most commonly prevailing wind.

My Nica government map shows Ometepe already has an airport and seaplane base, so wherever that is, is a good bet (it shows it on the farthest western end of the island).

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

The airstrip is located out by the Polo Club here in Granada. John........ do you have a link to the map you are speaking of?

Blog Entries

The map I referred to is on my wall, but here's a picture.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

I lived out there for 6 months several years ago. There is no airport. It's just a single lane asphalt path that starts at the road going south and heads straigt west to the lake. About 500 meters long. It's also downhill. I guess that qualifies for an airport on Ometepe. As for the seaplanes........ there is a dock at Moyogalpa. No service except a dock. Guess they would have to have enough fuel to fly somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Like Esteli, it may once have had an airport, but they found "better" uses for the land and it disappeared.

Blog Entries

I am replying to an old post, but work has begun on the Ometepe Airport as of March 1st, 2011. I live 1/4 of a mile from the old airport strip. It was originally built by Cuba, but for years it has not seen any air traffic because it has been neglected and washed out by heavy rains.
    The surveyors have marked all the trees to be removed. They have contacted the home owners and a dairy farm to buy the property around the airport. The earth movers are expected to be shipped by barge within the next 2 weeks. My neighbor is cooking lunch for some of the workers. Applications are available for work on the airport. So, it looks like it's more than just talk.
    I still don't know what to think. It could be a good thing for me if I have a medical emergency or Volcan Concepcion erupts. On the other hand, an airport near my house means more traffic, more noise, and more people. Fortunately, we are at the end of the beach road because the heavy flooding that occurred this past year washed out the beach road. Now, it is only a walking path with deep sand.
    Maybe they are going to just "look like" they are building an airport until the elections. If that's the case, it suits me.