Thread: JPJW Operation

Blog Entries

Default JPJW Operation

JPJW will be operated on tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Bad news:
    He is anemic, dehydrated, potassium levels elevated, and has developed an infected fistula. He has lost about 25% of his body weight and as a consequence, it is even difficult to start an IV (find a vein). He needs a blood transfusion and lots of fluids to get him in an operable condition. In short …they were killing him in Port.

The expenses to get him ready for an operation are (of course) higher than anyone anticipated.

Good news:

He has many friends.

I promised an accurate accounting and to date I have received approximately $1,100 including my donation. That is the USA side of the accounting. In Nicaragua, another $1,000 has been spent on airfare, doctors, tests, exams, hotels, food, etc. I have about $500 left in the account and tomorrow’s surgery and post surgery costs are estimated to be about $4,000. Keep in mind that this is in a great hospital with USA trained surgeons. This includes CAT scans, blood work, and colonoscopy.

An unanticipated donor has stepped up to the plate and donated a large portion of the hospital expenses. But there are always more expenses necessary to get him home.

If you can find it in your heart and wallet to get us over the hump and get him back to Port healthy, and unencumbered, it would be greatly appreciated by JPJW and his kids. I know that this is a tough time for many of us, but please do what you can.

Most everyone wishes their donation to be kept in confidence and I will respect that. My original donation will be doubled for this last round of donations.

PM me for donation details.

PS I can do cash, credit cards and Paypal.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: JPJW Operation

Clarification of today's procedures.

"Just a quick clarification, the procedures Tom mentioned above are diagnostic. The planned surgery today is to rejoin his intestine. The benefit will be the elimination of the colostomy bag and the return to a normal life (less cigarettes and FDC). The complication is his weakened condition and the existence of a lot of scar tissue leading to other potential infectious problems. The big effort and reason for all the diagnostics is to avoid peritonitis as a complication once they go in to his abdominal cavity."
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.