Thread: No Boat, No Groceries

Blog Entries

Default No Boat, No Groceries

The storm that just blew by reminded me how fragile the supply line is on an Island. One supply boat at the dock, was supposed to go to Port, trip cancelled. The other boats that should be here now were holed up in Rama or Bluefields waiting for the all clear.

I went out yesterday morning for a quick shopping trip, things were scarce and almost no (edible) produce. Got most of the things on that list, but only after 3 stops instead of the usual 1. Had no time to browse.

I bought 3 pounds of beef the other day and cut 3 nice pieces for the grill, cut and marinated some for Chop Siu (Corn Island specialty and yes they spell it that way), and cut some to be Chicken Fried. Yesterday I decided I would grill the 3 pieces or make Chop Siu depending on what I could find to go with it.

So yesterday afternoon I went out for a leisurely shopping trip, packed up Okra and Eggplant to give out to friends, and made my way to "town". First stop pay the light bill, then started walking the length of Brig Bay (the commercial center), more of what I had seen earlier in the day, a whole lot of nothing. Finally found a shop with some nice tomatoes and awesome peppers, the peppers were the size of Bell Peppers, knew I would be in for a shock when I paid, 10 cord each (50 cents). The past few months vegetable prices have been insane, tomatoes got up to 30 cord a pound at one time, peppers have been 8-10 cords,

Found a few things, not much, Chop Siu was out of the question, no vegetables, not even a carrot. Grilled beef is not so bad and I had it in the fridge marinating anyway. Did manage to find 10 freshly made corn tortillas so things were looking better. Got home sent over to the neighbors for beans (she sells boiled beans in the bag) cooked them up with some culantro, onions, peppers and tomatoes. Had a pound of rice so I made my famous "nacatamal" rice (people here never saw anything like it, first time I made it they immediately gave it that name), just a Mexican Red Rice with lots of tomatoes onions and peppers, almost made a tomato salad, but was just too lazy. Dinner was served.

My last stop yesterday was to visit with a friend who has a shop, grabbed a beer in the cooler and started to go sit out front as he was talking to someone, he called for me to come meet the woman, we talked a short bit and I started pulling out okra and eggplant I had brought him from my backpack. The woman said where did you get that, like I had just put out illicit drugs on the desk, I grow it, you grow it where (I was starting to see that expression on her face "you crazy ass gringo", on my farm. The questions went on for a while, she finally eased up, guess I convinced her that I was not out giving away ill gotten Okra.

Turns out I now have a new best friend, I had an extra bag of Okra and asked if she would like it, "oh yes". She started telling me about the Okra her family used to grow and said she is always telling her children about Okra, and that they have never even seen it, I had a few extra Eggplant in my bag and asked her is she knew it, yes, that is Eggplant (few people her know it), gave her those too. We chatted a bit and she was on her way.

I had one more bag of Okra to deliver so I left my bags with my friend and walked a few doors up looking the recipient. There are a couple of old (I am not using this term loosely) guys that sit a few doors up, everyday almost all day they can be found in one of 2 locations (varies according to the weather and shade situation). One of them is always quizzing me about the farm, 1 day I told him I grow Okra, he said it had been years since he had heard about okra and that he sure would like some. my last few trips out I kept forgetting to take him any and he caught me once, asked me about the Okra, next time I said. Yesterday when I handed it to him he shook my hand, almost did not let go and smiled ear to ear. I will bring you more I assured him.

Sometimes it is fun being the white guy that grows stuff.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: No Boat, No Groceries

Good going! Your gardening will make you more knowledgeable and garnish you with new friends.

great story!

got a date with the lady?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

If you can't find edible produce on Big Corn, I could only imagine that Little Corn is worse off! I don't know how people do it, if they don't have their own gardens.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Any insight into "why da okra all gone?"

Some one lost the recipe? or just too much work to grow and too easy to gut off the boat?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Any insight into "why da okra all gone?"

Some one lost the recipe? or just too much work to grow and too easy to gut off the boat?

Billy I see your curiosity is like mine. I don't know the answer. I always hear about the Yellow Watermelons that use to grow on Little Island, what happened? Who knows. I have asked many times, what happened to the vegetables and the gardens, why, what do you attribute the change to, no real answers.

As my old Indian Friend Pik Pik would say "Me No Know"
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Billy I see your curiosity is like mine. I don't know the answer. I always hear about the Yellow Watermelons that use to grow on Little Island, what happened? Who knows. I have asked many times, what happened to the vegetables and the gardens, why, what do you attribute the change to, no real answers.

As my old Indian Friend Pik Pik would say "Me No Know"
    Wassup with that?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.