Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What To Do In Leon?

  1. #1
    TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Granada, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,384

    Default What To Do In Leon?

    I've got a friend, currently lives in SJDS, that is gonna vacation in Leon for a few days. What is there to do up there? My experience with the town was to get out of the air conditioned car just long enough to take church photos, then quickly escape the heat again. Advice, por favor!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

  2. #2

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    They grow cotton around Leon. I guess one could carry an 8' or 10' cotton sack over there and become useful?

  3. #3
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    I've got a friend, currently lives in SJDS, that is gonna vacation in Leon for a few days. What is there to do up there? My experience with the town was to get out of the air conditioned car just long enough to take church photos, then quickly escape the heat again. Advice, por favor!
    I live in León, jodido, half the year, and I love it, most of the time. But first, any advice I offer to one from SJdS must be taken with this: SJdS is the one place in Nicaragua I do not like. Why? It's been Californicated, as if 'developed' by Disneyworld. And it's turned the Nicas I met there inside out, not the typically good & proud people you'll meet in León.

    Don't enter beautiful León with an A/C mindset, unless you're bound directly for Hotel La Perla & its casino (see Renco). You're in the tropics, baby, and if you don't let it touch body & mind, you don't belong wandering this colonial church & university town, birthplace of the revolution. Think naked, but dress well.

    The cathedral is a glorious place to park it temporarily and mentate on Dios, being, non-being, & the universe. What it means to exist. Take the roof tour, forget the catacombs. Sip a cafe in El Sesteo, walk around the martyr's monument to check out the Nica-German existentialist mural, buy some pirated CDs (get Mejia Godoy music) & DVDs beside the cathedral. Eat a lunch of carne en bao, if you dare, in the back of Mercado Central. Walk up to El Calvario to see & feel the joy & pathos of modern church art. Identify the picture-puzzles on the front of La Recoleccion. Go through UNAN's main building within the city, beside Iglesia La Merced, to see & be seen by the university students. (UNAN's campus outside town is worth a visit.) Grab a beer in the shade of Pasarela's garden or an ice cream in the Esquimo across from Parque La Merced. Hang out by La Cancha long enough to absorb those murals and contemplate those of the unforgotten students killed during a street demonstration against Somoza in 1959. Visit Iglesia San Francisco for the statue of the revered black saint and contemplate how is it that an icon can be accepted as having magical curative powers today. Wander around the garden in the Hotel El Convento beside the church. Study the architecture of Iglesia Saragosa. One tourist site, the fort-turned-prison by la chureca, is too f'ing tragic for words, but the overview of León from there is worth it.

    Catch sunset from El Alamo's rooftop bar beside La Cancha, slurping Victorias and open your mind to 5 or more years of Daniel Ortega & Rosaria de la chicha rosa. The Belgian joint Via Via offers an outstanding lemonade & awesome fries best eaten beside their luxuriant courtyard garden. Their backpackers hostel is popular, as are the Friday nite bands with rocking salsa protest shtick. The mostly new 'Zona Rosa' with its concentration of clubs & restaurants (my fav is Bar Baro) has the highest concentration of foreigners at night, suitable for an SJdSer.

    There are lots of little, hidden, worthwhile & inexpensive places in León & Subtiava. In my neighborhood, La Caverna del Mao is sort of my home away from las novelas.

    Then, of course, there are the beach towns, Poneloya y Las Peñitas, 20 km away over fine Reto Milenia built highway. They're a splash of gringo heaven, but I won't go there here, cause that's leaving León, jodido, which, by the way, is as peaceful as death on Sundays, as you might imagine.
    Last edited by Daddy-YO; 10-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.

  4. #4
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    They grow cotton around Leon.
    More like . . . 'grew'. Riding la caratera Managua-Leon-Chinandega I haven't seen any in the last several years. Plenty of beans & rice patties, and cattle grazing, nice views of Momotombo, though. An agronomist friend at UCAN once explained to me the problem they had being monoculture in cotton at one time, but I forgot.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    my name is dr. demento and i am californated

    everyone all together, "hi dr. demento!"
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

  6. #6
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    6,192
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    my name is dr. demento and i am californated
    [YT]sFMLARtqxCY[/YT]
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  7. #7

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    [YT]sFMLARtqxCY[/YT]
    Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

    errr, uhmmm, i am californated. i am a little too old and too prude to be californicated...

    i think the california coastline is beautiful, so too is sjds...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

  8. #8
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    i think the california coastline is beautiful, so too is sjds...
    Their natural beauty is undeniable. Talking about the pieces that have yet to fall into the sea.

    Crossing the state's northern border some years ago I recall a public service billboard aiming its greeting southward: "Don't Californicate Oregon!" ___ Freedom of speech ... what can ya do?

  9. #9

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post

    i think the california coastline is beautiful, so too is sjds...
    i think this is beautiful...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

  10. #10
    Active TRN Member renco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Poneloya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I live in León, jodido, half the year, and I love it, most of the time. But first, any advice I offer to one from SJdS must be taken with this: SJdS is the one place in Nicaragua I do not like. Why? It's been Californicated, as if 'developed' by Disneyworld. And it's turned the Nicas I met there inside out, not the typically good & proud people you'll meet in León.

    Don't enter beautiful León with an A/C mindset, unless you're bound directly for Hotel La Perla & its casino (see Renco). You're in the tropics, baby, and if you don't let it touch body & mind, you don't belong wandering this colonial church & university town, birthplace of the revolution. Think naked, but dress well.

    The cathedral is a glorious place to park it temporarily and mentate on Dios, being, non-being, & the universe. What it means to exist. Take the roof tour, forget the catacombs. Sip a cafe in El Sesteo, walk around the martyr's monument to check out the Nica-German existentialist mural, buy some pirated CDs (get Mejia Godoy music) & DVDs beside the cathedral. Eat a lunch of carne en bao, if you dare, in the back of Mercado Central. Walk up to El Calvario to see & feel the joy & pathos of modern church art. Identify the picture-puzzles on the front of La Recoleccion. Go through UNAN's main building within the city, beside Iglesia La Merced, to see & be seen by the university students. (UNAN's campus outside town is worth a visit.) Grab a beer in the shade of Pasarela's garden or an ice cream in the Esquimo across from Parque La Merced. Hang out by La Cancha long enough to absorb those murals and contemplate those of the unforgotten students killed during a street demonstration against Somoza in 1959. Visit Iglesia San Francisco for the statue of the revered black saint and contemplate how is it that an icon can be accepted as having magical curative powers today. Wander around the garden in the Hotel El Convento beside the church. Study the architecture of Iglesia Saragosa. One tourist site, the fort-turned-prison by la chureca, is too f'ing tragic for words, but the overview of León from there is worth it.

    Catch sunset from El Alamo's rooftop bar beside La Cancha, slurping Victorias and open your mind to 5 or more years of Daniel Ortega & Rosaria de la chicha rosa. The Belgian joint Via Via offers an outstanding lemonade & awesome fries best eaten beside their luxuriant courtyard garden. Their backpackers hostel is popular, as are the Friday nite bands with rocking salsa protest shtick. The mostly new 'Zona Rosa' with its concentration of clubs & restaurants (my fav is Bar Baro) has the highest concentration of foreigners at night, suitable for an SJdSer.

    There are lots of little, hidden, worthwhile & inexpensive places in León & Subtiava. In my neighborhood, La Caverna del Mao is sort of my home away from las novelas.

    Then, of course, there are the beach towns, Poneloya y Las Peñitas, 20 km away over fine Reto Milenia built highway. They're a splash of gringo heaven, but I won't go there here, cause that's leaving León, jodido, which, by the way, is as peaceful as death on Sundays, as you might imagine.
    How about the Fundacion Otiz Gurdian art museum in front of the Htel El Convento? By far the best in Nicaragua. Then a short stroll down the street to the Museum dedicated to Ruben Dario, finally after all of the walking and the occasional culinary delight you go to the (air conditioned) casino and watch the MLB playoffs with the UNAN Leon students at the bar.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

  11. #11
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    How about the Fundacion Otiz Gurdian art museum in front of the Htel El Convento? By far the best in Nicaragua. Then a short stroll down the street to the Museum dedicated to Ruben Dario, finally after all of the walking and the occasional culinary delight you go to the (air conditioned) casino and watch the MLB playoffs with the UNAN Leon students at the bar.
    Excellent addition! The art museum is superb, one of my favorite spots, and IMO the best in Central America. And it's free on Sundays. It slipped my mind, perhaps because my Nica family sees it as ho-hum. (For them, as with many today, entertainment is flashy, viceral, an 'experience'. I have posters of some of Dali's weirdest works on our walls - means little to my housemates. Gringos are otherworldly foreign, anyway, so weirdness passes.) And in Dario's old digs made museum, it's the photo of his querida garza morena, Rosario Murillo, that most attracts me; a totally sexy woman.

    As for the rest, sounds like y'all might be offering tour specials?

  12. #12
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    6,192
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Dali's version of Rosario Murillo, a totally sexy woman

    Compressed... to be plausible...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  13. #13
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Dali's version of Rosario Murillo, a totally sexy woman
    Compressed... to be plausible...
    A Canadian technical summary?

  14. #14
    Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Downey, California
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Yeah I seen alot of white people in Leon mainly the foriegn students and the occasional scrubby looking back packer hanging around the central park area. The locals even though they are mostly hardcore members of the FSLN dont seem to mind since the white people spread around tourist money for the local businesses. I am from Chinandega and since we have no movie theaters in Chinandega to see a movie we come to Leon to the Nuevo Siglo plaza in which there is a three theater outlet with a pizza restaurant and Tip Top chicken and several other family owned eateries. Close to the Nuevo Siglo Plaza is a large mall that sells about everything except for big appliances.

    Leon heat is just as bad as in Chinandega so dress cool. Other spots in mind is the El Convento Hotel with its high end restaurant and with a nice inside garden area great for taking pictures. The beaches of Poneloya and Las Penitas are much easier to get to since they have completely redone the highway. Before it would take an hour, now u can get to both beaches in about 20 minutes.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    I am from Chinandega and since we have no movie theaters in Chinandega to see a movie we come to Leon to the Nuevo Siglo plaza in which there is a three theater outlet with a pizza restaurant and Tip Top chicken and several other family owned eateries. Close to the Nuevo Siglo Plaza is a large mall that sells about everything except for big appliances.
    Not for long....the mall in Chinandega should open in late Spring/early summer of next year...

  16. #16
    Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Downey, California
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: What To Do In Leon?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertee View Post
    Not for long....the mall in Chinandega should open in late Spring/early summer of next year...
    Yeah man looking forward to the grand opening of this new mall in Chinandega. It will have a food court and two movie theaters along with the specialty shops. Nothing fancy but good enough for me. The mall is located in the only rotunda that Chinandega has, rotunda de los encuentros which is at the entrance to the town if coming from Leon/Managua.

Similar Threads

  1. Quesillos in León/Quesillos en León
    By AarontheGreat in forum Blog: AarontheGreat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 08:27 AM
  2. Leon in Leon
    By bill_bly_ca in forum Nicaragua Scrapbook
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM
  3. Leon - La Perla
    By bradley40550 in forum Transportation and Lodging
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 03:13 AM
  4. Leon Lodging
    By tresfrijoles in forum Transportation and Lodging
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 07:23 PM
  5. Leon
    By bradley40550 in forum Nicaraguan Culture, Politics and History
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!