Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immigration and the global economy

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Immigration and the global economy

In the US historically there was a 2 way traffic. Many immigrants went home after they earned their grubstake or found out getting ahead in the US was too much work. Maybe a third returned home for various reasons. Now with "dual citizenship" they can go back and forth and milk both ends.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Funny how Mexican nationalists whine about Texas and the southwest, but never whine about Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica who left Mexico in the same time period and never looked back.
    The war against Mexico (Polk's War) was begun by the US in a bid for territorial expansion, then viewed, by those in favor, as the USA's 'Manifest Destiny'.

The Federal Republic of Central America became a sovereign state at the same time Mexico gained independence from Spain. The First Mexican Empire annexed it for less than two years, after which it reverted back to a Republic which then disintegrated, more or less naturally (distances and primitive conditions (no roads, Mexico had Aztec roads) limited effective rule), to today's C.Am. countries.
    Last edited by Daddy-YO; 08-02-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

The Mexican war was started by Mexico because it did not want the Texas Republic to join the US. Annexation or independence had always been an issue with Texas, with rival parties supporting each cause. When the annexationists won, Mexico attacked, kinda dumb, don't you think? Ironically, one of the reasons that Texas eventually voted for annexation was because they were stretched with Mexican attacks on the south and Commanche attacks on the north. Admittedly, when war came the US decided to go all the way to the Pacific and get it over with. Of the Mexicans living in the area, only a tiny number "went back to Mexico", mostly priests and soldiers. The US also won the right to Baja California, but declined to take it for geopolitical reasons.

With the exception of Chiapis, all of central america voted to leave Mexico for the same reasons Mexico had so little support in Texas and the southwest--a far away corrupt government, bad roads, etc. The Spanish did a piss poor job of running much of their empire. Mexico threatened to invade, but Guatemala had a big enough army to counter them. The RCA may have seemed like a good idea, but with the non-existent roads and the local caudillos with their own agendas made it hopeless.

As a federation of four, five or six states, Central America would enjoy far greater prosperity and stability.
    Greater shared resources.

Even a trading bloc, like the one proposed from time to time for Canada, Mexico,, the US, will probably happen before the CA countries do anything significant.

Nicaragua will always be the odd man out, with their fascination with Iran, North Korea, Venezuela and Russia.

I watched Sen Marco Rubio last night. He gave an address to the Venezuelan people (which probably no one saw,, unlike Nicaragua there is almost zero freedom of press in Venezuela). He spoke of Nicaragua as a failed state, with the rest of CA (not including Costa Rica and Panama) not far behind. He specifically mentioned the leftist government in El Salvador. Tying Nicaragua to Venezuela is problematic.

These inaccurate perceptions can be very dangerous. Some additional sanctioning of Venezuelan trade is inevitable. Forcing Venezuela to source the diluent they need to make their crude saleable to most of the world elsewhere would not hurt our economy. That fraction can probably be turned into something else.

But, it would be another serious nail in the Venezuelan coffin.

An embargo of Venezuelan oil would be more disruptive to the US economy. We have several Gulf refineries that are designed to process the Venezuelan heavy crude. US gasoline prices would inevitably rise. Some skilled people would lose work.

The embargo would devastate the Venezuelan economy. Debt defaults would follow (may anyway), and without the necessary capital Venezuela would continue to spiral downward. More oil than anyone else,, but you still have to get it out of the ground.

Blog Entries

Mexico can't even keep it's own citizens from running away. If Mexico annexed California, the Mexicans in Cali would head east.

When has Mexico not been a basket case of a country?

Blog Entries

the invasion is well along
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behsmaHh2bg

The c4 agreement gives some of the benfits of economic union, but Nic's bad boy image, Salvador's commie leadership of a very capitalist country, and Hond. and Nics hopeless poverty mean the CR and Panama will never carry them by choice.

Blog Entries

That is quite a graphical analysis. If I ever had any doubts about a wall, they are now gone.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I know, gotta keep those Canadians out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    the invasion is well along
    A tidbit: in 1830 Mexico suffered the problem of illegal immigration from the United States.

Discontent Anglo settlers in Texas declared the independence of the "Republic of Fredonia" at the end of 1826. With Austin's support (he had become a naturalized Mexican citizen), the little rebellion was put down with no difficulty. So afterward the Mexican Congress passed a law suspending immigration from the United States.

The history of Texas and the War against Mexico in the 19th century is interesting and nuanced. I'm reading "What Hath God Wrought - the transformation of America, 1815-1848" by Daniel Walker Howe.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

There really was a Fredonia?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    A tidbit: in 1830 Mexico suffered the problem of illegal immigration from the United States.

Discontent Anglo settlers in Texas declared the independence of the "Republic of Fredonia" at the end of 1826. With Austin's support (he had become a naturalized Mexican citizen), the little rebellion was put down with no difficulty. So afterward the Mexican Congress passed a law suspending immigration from the United States.

The history of Texas and the War against Mexico in the 19th century is interesting and nuanced. I'm reading "What Hath God Wrought - the transformation of America, 1815-1848" by Daniel Walker Howe.

Got it, new paperback from Amazon with free 2day shipping for 65 cents more than the Kindle edition. I remember when Kindles were 99 cents. What happened??

What's even more fascinating is when the Kindle is more than the hardcover.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...hest+and+Limbs

But, because I bought the paperback I can buy the Kindle for $2.99. I'm downloading the Kindle Ap for my tablet. It's worth a shot.

Another great book,, Hampton Sides' Blood and Thunder, the epic story of Kit Carson and the conquest of the American West speaks to what was happening during those years.
    The confederates also sent an army west, to take New Mexico and eventually,, California.

Now if my favorite software source would just hack Amazon . . .. ..
    we could get everything for $1

Best Medicine Products in May:

3D Organon Anatomy 3.0.0 Portable 1$
    Materialise 3-matic Medical Research 12.0 x64 20$
    Atlas of Lymphatic Anatomy in the Head, Neck, Chest and Limbs 1$
    Cancer Therapeutic Targets 1$
    Cognitive Informatics in Health and Biomedicine Understanding and Modeling Health Behaviors 1$
    Complicated War Trauma and Care of the Wounded 1$
    Esophageal and Gastric Disorders in Infancy and Childhood 1$
    Information Processing in Medical Imaging 1$
    Neurodegenerative Diseases Pathology, Mechanisms, and Potential Therapeutic Targets 1$
    Non-Pharmacological Management of Osteoporosis Exercise, Nutrition, Fall and Fracture Prevention 1$
    Patient Safety and Quality in Pediatric HematologyOncology and Stem Cell Transplantation 1$
    Pediatric and Adolescent Plastic Surgery for the Clinician 1$
    Principles of Diabetes Mellitus, Third Edition 1$
    TRAIL, Fas Ligand, TNF and TLR3 in Cancer 1$
    Textbook of Penile Cancer, Second Edition 1$
    The Bright Side and the Dark Side of Patient Empowerment Co-creation and Co-destruction of Value in the Healthcare Environment 1$
    The Textbook of Clinical Sexual Medicine 1$
    Therapeutic Angiogenesis 1$
    Trauma, Resilience, and Health Promotion in LGBT Patients What Every Healthcare Provider Should Know 1$
    Attachment in Psychotherapy By David J. Wallin read by Bob Souer Audiobook MP3 64kbps 1$
    Netter Interactive Atlas of Human Anatomy 3.0 (1 cd) 20$
    Adhesion in Pharmaceutical, Biomedical, and Dental Fields 1$
    An Introduction to Pharmacovigilance, Second Edition 1$
    Aphasia and Related Neurogenic Communication Disorders, Second Edition 1$
    Aromatherapy, Massage and Relaxation in Cancer Care An Integrative Resource for Practitioners 1$
    Biomedical Device Technology Principles and Design, Second Edition 1$
    Body Tracking in Healthcare 1$
    CBT for Managing Non-cardiac Chest Pain An Evidence-based Guide 1$
    Case Studies in Adult Intensive Care Medicine 1$
    Comprehensive Handbook of Pediatric Audiology, Second Edition 1$
    Dictionary of Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine, and Translational Medicine 1$
    Diseases of the Human Body, Sixth Edition 1$
    Epidemiology for Athletic Trainers Integrating Evidence-Based Practice 1$
    Evaluation of Health Care Quality for DNPs, Second Edition 1$
    Fast Facts for the Cardiac Surgery Nurse, Second Edition 1$
    Healthcare Professionalism Improving Practice through Reflections on Workplace Dilemmas 1$
    Human Factors in Healthcare A Field Guide to Continuous Improvement 1$
    Infectious Diseases A Geographic Guide, 2nd Edition 1$
    Medical Terminology With Case Studies in Sports Medicine, Second Edition 1$
    Nanobioceramics For Healthcare Applications 1$
    Nutritional Management of Equine Diseases and Special Cases 1$
    Pathophysiology for Massage Therapists A Functional Approach, Revised Edition 1$
    Pediatric Pain Current Aspects 1$
    Pharmacology in Clinical Practice Application Made Easy for Nurses, Pharmacists and Allied Health Professionals, Third Edition 1$
    Postgraduate Orthopaedics The Candidate_s Guide to the FRCS (Tr & Orth) Examination, Third Edition 1$
    Practical Transfusion Medicine, Fifth Edition 1$
    Protein Analysis using Mass Spectrometry Accelerating Protein Biotherapeutics from Lab to Patient 1$
    Pursuing The Elixir Of Life Chinese Medicine For Health 1$
    Radiologic Guide to Orthopedic Devices 1$
    Recent Advances in Geriatric Medicine 1$
    Smart Pharmaceutical Nanocarriers 1$
    Speech and Language Technology for Language Disorders 1$
    Systemic, Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Physiological Functions and Their Disorders 1$
    The Easy Book of Cancer Pharmacology 1$
    The Handbook of Stress and Health A Guide to Research and Practice 1$
    The Patient_s Voice Experiences of Illness, Second Edition 1$
    The Sperm Cell Production, Maturation, Fertilization, Regeneration, Second Edition 1$
    Urogynaecology and You A Handbook For Women With Bladder Disorders, Womb and Vaginal Prolapse 1$
    Sincerely,
    LPStore Team

Blog Entries

What happened to the $.99 Kindle book? How else do you think Jeff Bozos was gonna be worth $90 billion?

Blog Entries

Hey, this thread's doing pretty well for being seven years old!

Some things never get old!

And nothing stays the same!

Amazon gave me 10 free books . .. I've read two so far on my Samsung Tablet. Not bad.
    It's a ten inch tablet. When I first used the kindle it was much smaller.

A serious book like ""What Hath God Wrought . . "
    I would prefer the paper still. I need to go back and forth to nail down details. A novel is different.

Amazon has a deal: access to 1 million books for 9.98 /month..
    Read one, choose another. Ii think that you keep 25 on your device, send one back, choose another.
    You don't own them, you are just renting them for as long as you like.

Who says that you can't teach an old dog a new trick?

Blog Entries

I got my wife the first Kindle that came out. Pretty clunky thing by today's paper-thin feather-light tablet standards. I bought a similar device Sony made, I really liked the thing but it became obsolete so fast it made my head spin. Now I use the Kindle app on my phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12