Thread: Where to buy spark plugs?

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Default Where to buy spark plugs?

Can anybody suggest a good source in Managua for buying (specialty) spark plugs (especially NGK and Champion) at discount prices? I´ve got seven marine outboard engines of different horsepower and manufacturer, several gasoline engines for portable sawmills and woodworking machinery, chainsaws, water pump, generators, two motorcycles, etc. which periodically require plug changes. I really hate to buy such things from the dealer because they charge way too much! Unfortunately, though, most automotive parts houses don´t carry a large assortment of plugs for small engines.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where to buy spark plugs?

I guess if I´d wanted to know where to get a great deal on an iPod or the like in Managua, I´d have gotten at least a dozen responses. Apparently, spark plugs aren´t glamorous enough for TRN readers to respond to, though.

I did pick up some spark plugs in the Mercado Oriental. Standard NGK plugs cost me C$40 while Champions cost C$50. The NGK plug selection and prices were pretty good. However, I wasn´t able to get exactly the heat rating the engine manufacturer called for. Champion plug selection was extremely poor, however. I did pick up a pair of Champion plugs that were advertised as standard lawn mower replacement plugs. I figured that I´d eventually be glad to have them on hand.

I had previously told Seferino that while the plugs I bought weren´t the exact number the manufacture called for, they were only one number hotter. The plug manufacturer, I went on to lecture him, claims that the engine will still perform acceptably with plugs no more than one value above or below the recommended value. And, this hotter plug might actually keep the plugs from fouling so quickly since we do a lot of low speed trolling.

When I returned to Alamikamba, however, I was in for a bit of a shock. I took one of the other marine outboard engines out of storage only to discover that it was without one of its two spark plugs. I looked for the (exact) replacements that I had brought from Texas in August and carefully put in a safe place. They were gone. And, noone could (or would) explain what had happened to them!

The real ¨kicker¨ came, however, when Seferino told me that he would take care of it. He took off on his motorcycle and returned a short while later with two new plugs which he declared to me were the plugs which I had brought from the US. Apparently, he had given them as well as the one from the engine to a friend. The plugs he brought back were three temperature grades (colder) than the manufacturer´s recommendation. And, the plug length was too long and could damage the piston. I pointed out to Seferino that the plugs that I brought from the US had the motor brand and model designation hand written on the box.

Seferino was undaunted. He went on to lecture me that there are only two kinds of plugs - long thread and short thread. Since the plugs that he brought me were a little longer than the thread in the motor head, he would simply add another washer, he explained.

Now I understand why the last time I made a river trip I got stuck twelve hours down river. Next time, I´ll be sure to take a paddle.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua

actually you are right up my alley however i cannot help you. if i could i would.
    i was in condega last couple of weeks and had a heck of a time looking for a pulley puller, extractor, as the nickas call it.
    took me like about 1 hour to take an alternator, power stearing pump, belts and motor mounts off. then it took me 2 days to find a puller and someone to pull the pulley for me. the one i bought broke.

then i spent another day looking for a timing belt and a water pump. never found them.

only advice i could give someone is that if you are going to pay the money to ship something to Nicaragua at least ship something that you can buy parts for in Nicaragua.

wait i think that you could find some spark plugs at sinsa. i know that they sell lawn mowers their so you might can buy some plugs.

if you cannot find them their let me know and if you get in a bind i can call my brother in law in Managua and i bet he can tell me.
    my little girl

i am interested. i love this kind of thing.
    have you tried sinsa? i think that they sell lawn mowers. if you get in a bind and you cannot find them at all let me know and i will call my brother in law in managua and ask him.

i spent a day looking for a pulley puller and a day looking for someone to pull the pulley after i broke the pulley puller.

after i paid someone to pull the pulley for me then i spent another day looking for a timing belt and a water pump. i never found them.

i would never ship a car to Nicaragua without first looking to see if Nicaragua has those same kind of cars.

not only a car but anything that i would send to Nicatagua i would see if i can get parts for it.
    my little girl

i do not have any suggestions were to buy plugs but here is an option to consider.

TESTER
    The SPCT100 Spark Plug Cleaner & Tester Unit is used check spark plugs under pressure that is intended to closely simulate the firing conditions inside a cylinder. The cleaner section - consisting of a sand-blaster and air cleaner - will effectively remove carbon deposit from spark plugs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    i do not have any suggestions were to buy plugs but here is an option to consider.

TESTER
    The SPCT100 Spark Plug Cleaner & Tester Unit is used check spark plugs under pressure that is intended to closely simulate the firing conditions inside a cylinder. The cleaner section - consisting of a sand-blaster and air cleaner - will effectively remove carbon deposit from spark plugs.
    Yeah, cool. I´ll bet the first time I leave Alami for Managua somebody manages to get C$200 for it on the street!

Aisabe,
    Papatara

ya i know that dang petty thievery stinks. I once had a old bucket that I used to wash clothes wasnt worried about it getting legs and walking , wrong if it aint bolted or in a secure location its gone. Feel for ya best of luck.