Thread: DELTA - Toronto to MGA via Atlanta

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default DELTA - Toronto to MGA via Atlanta

This is the first time we have taken this route and was the best one so far..

Flight left Toronto on time (CRJ @ 6:15 ) Arrived in Atlanta on time, Connection to MGA (737-400) left 1 min early and arrived exactly on time (12:06PM).

Both planes had two empty seats.

This was a points deal (47,000 points ea) but I had to top up the last 8000 points..( I have a whopping 1,000 Delta points left)

9000 Point top up $168 --- Fees $124 ea

Total $208 each.

The Delta points site is well laid out even showing which days has Many, moderate, low or no rewards seats... (Hint Hint if you are reading this Air Canada)
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: DELTA - Toronto to MGA via Atlanta

I normally fly on AA but my trip down next month will be on Delta thru ATL. Glad to hear it is a good flight.

I just acquired a couple hundred thousand points on Delta the last couple of months so will probably be flying them a bit more in the future. Anyone know how C&BP is coming back thru ATL? I really dislike the guys in MIA, am hoping that the ones in ATL are a bit nicer. If I find this to be the case, I will stick to flying thru there from now on even if I have to buy my airline tickets out of my own pocket!

I gave up on AA (and I have 480,000 miles with them right now) due to the horror that is MIA. CBP, TSA and the construction all add up to a horrible day. I hear it is less horrible as the terminal is close to finish and the little train is running.

I now stick to TACA with its long layover in SAL. Though I arrive at 2 pm I then try to get on the little ATR-42 at 230 if it is flying and not oversold. If you get two seats in the very back it is tolerable for 55 minutes. I will at times fly one-way on AA south and then one-way on TACA north.

On the return I now fly to SAL the day before on the 530 pm flight, stay overnight in SAL at the airport hotel and leave the next day after a proper breakfast. The alternative has been getting up at 4 a.m., leaving MGA at 630 and having nearly 8 hours in SAL. Convoluted you might say but travel should be enjoyable vs. long and stressful.

Their prices are better than AA by $700 or so right now and I fly every month so it adds up.

What are you going to do with all those AA miles? Don't forget them and let them expire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    What are you going to do with all those AA miles? Don't forget them and let them expire!!!
    They can't since I use an AA VISA card and accrue 10,000 or more miles each month.

At times I do one way AA award flights south and then fly TACA north. Lowers the cost and the points I have would pay for 16 one way B/C flights.

Did you do the 75K bonus miles for signing up with no fee first year CitiAdvantage card? I signed up for the personal & business card getting 150K free AA miles this year, enough for 5 free R/T flights to MGA. A good deal for sure.

Blog Entries

Is that deal still open?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

the link I had used is expired but there may be another one available, new deals come and go constantly, sometimes they do or don't post expire dates. sorry I don't have time to look for it right now getting ready to walk out the door but any current deals are listed on Ricks page below:

http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

also check out

http://www.dansdeals.com/

Amex Premier Rewards and Business card have some really good deals right now too..... I am sure both sites have links

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Return - MGA to YYZ via Atlanta

Departure from Managua was 3 min early with a whopping 36 passangers on the 737-700. (2:01PM)

Arrival in Atlanta was 3 min early.

Surprisingly our bags were checked right through to Toronto!!! A first for me.

C&BP was painless .. The line up for visitors was actually shorter than for Citizens. Even though we were behind a BA 747 that landed 35min prior..

Flight to Toronto shifted gates (and terminals) while we ate so it was time to boogie in heals (not me )

Canada customs was a ghost town @ 12AM.. No line.

Park and fly coupon was screwed up.. I picked the wrong (of their 3) lot(s) .. But the lady at the gate still was able to drop the rate to $76 (from 102) compared to our coupon for $71...

Grabbed a Timmies and we pulled into the driveway @ 1:55 AM

After flying 3 of the 5 (Continental, AA, and Delta.. Not Spirit nor Taca yet) the Delta flight would be my favorite. The time (actual departure and arrival and total length), the baggage flow through, and flying from TO.. Continental #2 and AA #3...

Taca supposedly has good rates from TO as well but I have never stumbled on to one yet..

<sigh> Now to mark the Calender until Dec 2011...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??