Thread: Conchs and such

Blog Entries

Default Conchs and such

Occasionally someone will bring me some conch meat, I usually make fritters, mostly because I like fritters. Been thinking about it lately and told some boys to bring me some. No idea how to clean one, although I figure between the internet and a call to JW I will figure it out.

I have some guests coming in the next month and wanted to offer up some Carribean dishes and let them see how some foods here like coco bread are made (first you have to milk the coconuts). Figure to also make some ice cream with whatever fruit I find.

Was thinking about a conch ceviche, but also want to grill some, of course lobster and fish will get ate, going to make Melissa's Arenas, hopefully I will have some ripe plantain and make a bananas foster type dessert, plan on a variety of salsas with fresh fried tortilla chips, wish we had avocado, but none. I want to try and stick with locally available ingredients and things I can forage.

Any ideas? Any conch advice?
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Conchs and such

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Occasionally someone will bring me some conch meat, I usually make fritters, mostly because I like fritters. Been thinking about it lately and told some boys to bring me some. No idea how to clean one, although I figure between the internet and a call to JW I will figure it out.

I have some guests coming in the next month and wanted to offer up some Carribean dishes and let them see how some foods here like coco bread are made (first you have to milk the coconuts). Figure to also make some ice cream with whatever fruit I find.

Was thinking about a conch ceviche, but also want to grill some, of course lobster and fish will get ate, going to make Melissa's Arenas, hopefully I will have some ripe plantain and make a bananas foster type dessert, plan on a variety of salsas with fresh fried tortilla chips, wish we had avocado, but none. I want to try and stick with locally available ingredients and things I can forage.

Any ideas? Any conch advice?

You have come to the right place my man.

Cleaning a conch is a bitch. My advice is to buy it cleaned. If you buy it on the hoof be prepared for an ordeal. You Tube has a whole bunch of videos about how to do this. Do not watch any of them if a white guy is doing the cleaning.

The best thing to do with conch is to make conch salad.

First cut up the conch into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut as much as you want.

Marinate the conch in citrus juices like lemon, lime, sour orange. I like to use a steel bowl and put it in the frig.

Cut up 1/2 cubes of veggies. I use tomatoes green and red, peppers green and red, onions and celery.

Mix then all together with salt and pepper to suit and mix with Tabasco sauce and/or jalapeno.

Let it stand in the frig until cold and serve with beer and more Tabasco sauce.

The next best thing is cracked conch.

Take a whole conch and beat the crap out of it until it is flat and thin. Use a hammer or a beer bottle. I use a meat tenderizing hammer made of aluminum or wood.

Simply dip in egg and then batter with flour. Fry in butter and serve with lemon and tartar sauce and beer.

Conch Chowder

* 4 Medium conchs
    * 1 Stalk of celery
    * 1 Can of celery soup
    * 2 tsp of thyme
    * 2 Medium potatoes
    * 2 tbsp of A-1 sauce
    * 2 large carrots
    * 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 large onion

Directions

1. Bruise and boil conchs and Cut into small pieces.
    2. Fry out onion and celery in 1 tablespoon oil.
    3. Add sauces, water, and remaining ingredients.
    4. Boil for 1 hour.

Also gotta have:

Peas 'n Rice

bullet 1 c. pigeon peas - boil until tender
    bullet 2 strips bacon - fry and crumble
    bullet 1 chopped onion - cook in bacon fat
    bullet 1 chopped bell pepper
    bullet 1 tomato, skinned, seeded, chopped OR 1 Tbs. tomato paste
    bullet 1/2 tsp. salt
    bullet black pepper
    bullet 1/2 tsp. thyme
    bullet 2 c. water
    bullet 1 c. rice

Bring all the above ingredients EXCEPT rice to a boil. Add rice and simmer until cooked.

I have never heard of grilling conch and do not think it will work because conch is so tough unless pounded (cracked).

Last time I was on the island I had fried lobster at the Lobster Inn. They split the tail and put a lot of paprika on it and deep fry it. Not bad but easy to overcook.
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 11-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

If you want to grill the conch, simply slice thinly filets of conch , and make sure you cut against the grain,(make sure you pound the filets)....... marinate with olive oil and and your favorite spices...make sure when you grill the conch filets the grill is HOT to get a good sear...

have some good eats
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

I had something that I believe was grilled conch when in Sicily or over in Greece, the description matched, it was real nice.

I can get it nearly free so figured I would experiment. Sure the dogs will eat it if I can't.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

you guys are making me hungry. JW's place puts out a nice box of cleaned conch meat.

You should guys to know before you eat conchs ...this is aphrodisiac food.!!!

Blog Entries

Now you are talking.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gen08 View Post
    You should guys to know before you eat conchs ...this is aphrodisiac food.!!!
    Aisabe!

When my wife and I were in the Bahamas (Eleuthra) we were assured that "The conch make the baby" and the "Orange part make a boy"

Turns out 9 months later to the day .. all was true mon.

My son now be 33.

Aisabe!....Just what the hell does that mean Dud?

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Aisabe!

When my wife and I were in the Bahamas (Eleuthra) we were assured that "The conch make the baby" and the "Orange part make a boy"

Turns out 9 months later to the day .. all was true mon.

My son now be 33.

Aisabe!....Just what the hell does that mean Dud?
    Interesting that you should ask Tom. Aisabe is a miskitu word which is commonly used to say ¨goodbye¨. Aisabe in miskitu actually means ¨go with God!¨.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Here we say, see you tomorrow, God spare life.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    You have come to the right place my man.

Cleaning a conch is a bitch. My advice is to buy it cleaned. If you buy it on the hoof be prepared for an ordeal. You Tube has a whole bunch of videos about how to do this. Do not watch any of them if a white guy is doing the cleaning.

The best thing to do with conch is to make conch salad.

First cut up the conch into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut as much as you want.

Marinate the conch in citrus juices like lemon, lime, sour orange. I like to use a steel bowl and put it in the frig.

Cut up 1/2 cubes of veggies. I use tomatoes green and red, peppers green and red, onions and celery.

Mix then all together with salt and pepper to suit and mix with Tabasco sauce and/or jalapeno.

Let it stand in the frig until cold and serve with beer and more Tabasco sauce.

The next best thing is cracked conch.

Take a whole conch and beat the crap out of it until it is flat and thin. Use a hammer or a beer bottle. I use a meat tenderizing hammer made of aluminum or wood.

Simply dip in egg and then batter with flour. Fry in butter and serve with lemon and tartar sauce and beer.
    Had a delivery of conch today (well cleaned). I am cooking for a party tomorrow, going to make a big batch of Conch Salad and some Conch Fritters, already made the Cocktail and Orange Marmalade / Horseradish sauces for dipping, will also be making a Mexican style Lobster Cocktail and some grilled wings to boot.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Wish I was there!

What does cleaned conch cost?

Blog Entries

I will ask tomorrow, this was brought to me to prepare so no idea about cost.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I am going to try to get hooked up with the person getting the Conch as these are nice and clean, I diced almost 3 pounds this morning and only had to trim a small piece off one, very nice and clean. Conch Salad And Lobster Cocktail are made and in the fridge, wings been marinating since yesterday, will make the Fritter batter up around 11, let it relax in the fridge, then cook them around 2 at the party. Not even 7am and I am already thinking about a hammock nap.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Hammock Nap was nice and will likely come in handy. Fritter batter made and relaxing in the fridge. Going to be a "Boca" (small bites, appetizers) type party, hope they are not expecting a meal, 10 lbs of meat (6# chicken wing, 3# conch, 1# Lobster) and a few pounds of veggies, surely no one will walk away hungry. I heard a rumor that there will be liquid refreshments a plenty and that some fancy ice (from a ice machine) is going to be purchased, this is going to be a real fancy shin-dig.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would you believe some of the Girls cleaning the Conch in the plant.

(Strombus gigus) "Sientific Name" they have pearls in them occasionally.

They sell them ranging from 3K Cordobas to some I have heard going for 24K Cordobas...

Another rather interesting thing I found out about the Conch (Thicklipped Caribbean Queen Conch) "Common Name"

They have been known to live to sometimes for 30 years.

And from the time it is a "Spat" (Hatchling I guess ya could call it) until they reach a marketable size is 3 to 5 years...

And they are vegetarians living off the undersea plant life mostly...

OCEAN PROTIEN ... Don't get much better than that...

BTW LCT, home we clean them fairly good, for White Folks that is, and run them thru a hamburger grinder and make our fritters like that.... Uuuu make a Puppy Pull a Freight Train for one....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

And as much as I hate to admit, the only known method of harvesting them that does no damage, or I guess I should say little damage to the habitat, is by Diving for them.

Diving here is the pitts in the way it is currently done, dangerous as all get out for the local human resource....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Would you believe some of the Girls cleaning the Conch in the plant.

(Strombus gigus) "Sientific Name" they have pearls in them occasionally.

They sell them ranging from 3K Cordobas to some I have heard going for 24K Cordobas...

Another rather interesting thing I found out about the Conch (Thicklipped Caribbean Queen Conch) "Common Name"

They have been known to live to sometimes for 30 years.

And from the time it is a "Spat" (Hatchling I guess ya could call it) until they reach a marketable size is 3 to 5 years...

And they are vegetarians living off the undersea plant life mostly...

OCEAN PROTIEN ... Don't get much better than that...

BTW LCT, home we clean them fairly good, for White Folks that is, and run them thru a hamburger grinder and make our fritters like that.... Uuuu make a Puppy Pull a Freight Train for one....

Have seen some of those pearls.
    Ernie K Doe

Conch fritters, crawfish and beer, mmm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    Conch fritters, crawfish and beer, mmm
    And in case anyone is wondering what "Crawfish" is... It was the name used for the Spiny Lobsters used for generations.. Red Lobster changed all that from a used to be Common name...