Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: House (Non wish) list - The next chapter

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: House (Non wish) list - The next chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    Me, my wife and my 10year old will be in Nica late March/early april camping at la Flor again the first week, Your welcome to come camping with us, you would just need a tent. Airfare was expensive tickets cost us $650 each.
    Thanx for the offer but won't work with both of our work schedules..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

So here it is - 3 yrs after post #13 in this thread for Jan 28 2021 semiretirement...

Only 7 yrs to go until split time retirement...

Still married, Still working, Still solvent... There's still hope..

Blog Entries

...and DOS will still be president. http://news.yahoo.com/nicaragua-scra...hSOB0A4wjQtDMD

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    ...and DOS will still be president. http://news.yahoo.com/nicaragua-scra...hSOB0A4wjQtDMD
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

So the wheels are turning again.

Nice plot, 12m x 25m in a slight pie shape. In a development of 16 plots of various sizes. Close to the PanAmerican/Masaya Ganada hwy and a MaxiPali.

Has Water and Hydro (Electric) street lamps and 6 of the plots have houses planted already.

It is about 500m up from where the pavement ends, with a stones throw of the existing "House line" of Masaya.

The price was less than $10K the title goes back a good 20 yrs and the survey is from 2006.

Just working on the details now to get it put in Chilo's name.

On the flip side seen a real kick butt property beside the Hugo Chavez Electric plant in Masaya. It is 7300vr (I think 2 and a bit mz) in an L shape. On a paved road and security and lights from the plant can see and illuminate the property. Also has Electric and city water.

We did not pick up that one b/c A) It was $21K (Over budget) B) The survey was something like July 1 2014 and C) the title only went back to 2003... So with the price being over budget, we would then have to do much more digging to validate the titles et al, money we just don't have.

It is about 1km east of the Masaya bypass so eventually will be built up in some way shape or form.

P.S. Survey calls the plant Hugo Chavez, Google maps calls it Che Gavera power plant ... So one implies the plant just dies on its own while the other implies that it is shot to death.. Who knows..

Blog Entries

So "Casa Kitchener" is financed..

Getting Photo copies of the Survey and Title to a Lawyer (One my B-I-L has used in the past) for a cross check even though the vendor has stated he will pay all the fees through "His" lawyer. While it is a nice offer I will have an independent party validate thank you very much

Good thing is Buddy has a US bank account (as well as a Nicaraguan) and is pretty indifferent to which he is paid.

We will have a qualified person up here whip up a letter stating that "we are going to send him money to his US account and he acknowledges that this is for piece land in Nicaragua, survey number blah blah , title number blah blah... " (I would not go this far along if everything did not pass the sniff test so far.. and so far there is nothing to make the nose wince)

Chilo is looking to store (Hoard??) items already.. Trying to say to hold off for at least 2 or 3 years...

She may have to pop down to sign some papers in Oct or Nov but points flights are numerous and typically on the low scale of points in this time..

Now to reload sketch up and start designing..

Was going to go containers but we hooked up with a really good mason down there (No... not the illuminati) who is really interested in doing the fence..

He is quoting sub $500 (Including materials) to fence the entire plot in 10' cement..

If the fence works out well the house will be done by this fellow as well..

Exciting!

I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Good luck Bill, I'm eager to see the process of getting land and building the wall and house. Might be looking into this in the near future. Was just at my local town halls assesors office getting my paper work in order to hopefully get my CO (certificate of occupancy) Do you have to submit plans for the fence and the building?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    Good luck Bill, I'm eager to see the process of getting land and building the wall and house. Might be looking into this in the near future. Was just at my local town halls assesors office getting my paper work in order to hopefully get my CO (certificate of occupancy) Do you have to submit plans for the fence and the building?

As far as I know - No..

Here is the background I have to make that speculation.

#1 S-I-L - Where we stay on visits.

Marta has had a 30' x 45' house on a 30' x 100' lot for maybe 30 yrs. Over the past 6 months she has expanded back the remaining 55' at 15' wide with 2 rooms and 3 bath rooms (Replaced the original bathroom and one bath room in each of the new rooms.

She just had to file a floor plan with the City.

2 - B-I-L#4

This is the BIL that I recently wrote about that had a stroke @ 53 and is living on LTD down there..

He has purchased a 75' x 200' lot. He was told just needs to file a floor plan of what he is building. Nothing else is really needed.

If I understand correctly the fence needs no approvals what-so-ever..

Blog Entries

Well the papers are getting the go over by our BIL's lawyer..

If everything looks good it is a Go..

Maria may have to go sooner than planned as we really do not want to wire the cash blindly to this fellow's BanPro account.

No trip for me though - Can not justify twice the cost for 3 or 4 days to pay and sign some papers.

Sigh..

If it was a week ago I would have gone just for a hop over to Corn for Crab soup though ..

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Well the papers are getting the go over by our BIL's lawyer..

If everything looks good it is a Go..

Maria may have to go sooner than planned as we really do not want to wire the cash blindly to this fellow's BanPro account.

No trip for me though - Can not justify twice the cost for 3 or 4 days to pay and sign some papers.

Sigh..

If it was a week ago I would have gone just for a hop over to Corn for Crab soup though ..

I used my lawyer for my last purchase. I wired the money to her account, and she took it out in $100 bills. She had to make two trips, some surcharge if a single amount is greater than ($ I don't remember).. She is annoyingly honest, so this might not work with all lawyers.

This points out a failing of Nica real estate transactions: there is no escrow service that would hold the money, and then disburse it in accordance with agreed upon instructions.. All of my transactions have consisted in counting out $100 bills in the lawyer's office, with all parties present (and watching each other like a hawk).

The first transaction I did, we were counting the money into piles of $10,000 and the seller managed to palm a bill.

Such is the charm of Nicaragua.

Blog Entries

So here we are.. Lot # 16..

The transaction completed yesterday. The land title change we are told will be one or two months (which means 2 to 4 months )

Final damage was $8300 US for a little more than 800m^2 . The 72 to 34 line is 24.5m and the 34 to 35 line is 12m.

It is 800m from the Maxipali in Masaya.

The land was purchased by the family (the Father of the current owner/developer) in the early 90's - The Daughter sublet the plot to 24 smaller plots in 2006. We purchased the last plot available. The owner/developer's husband (who is from Honduras and does much of the talking) was telling us "This couple lives in Virginia, that couple lives in California etc etc" when pointing to all of the lots. He worked in San Fran for 15 years and has good English. They currently live in a really nice house (I think it is on a double lot) around lot 21 or 22. The house has 4 big rooms on the east side and Kitchen dining room on the west side and a center room of about 40'x 70'. A really big center space. Might do the same (on a smaller scale of course) on ours.

I am assuming that all of the ex pats he was talking about are Nica's that will be returning rather than gringo's that have purchased lots. Now that I think about it I guess we resemble that remark.

There is nothing on lot #17, lot #18 has a 90% finished house and 19 was having its cesspit being dug when we were there and a house was started on #20. #1 and #2 lots also have non descript square houses as well. Only 2 houses are fenced.

The 15m boulevard is cut in the middle with 5 or 6 yr old Coconut and other trees.

The road in front is one that runs between the Car Masaya to the new Masaya bypass road. We are about 300m after the pavement ends, but it will be paved soon enough.

There is a new 100 house plot being developed in the field adjacent to us, line 34 - 35 backs on to the (to be made) road that feeds this new sub division. It is one of those 9m x 18m developments with $7k/plot or $27k for lot with simple 2 B/r house. I think it is called Las Vagas or something like that. We looked there as well but it is all open field and the 9x18m is "just" too small

Now time to draw up a simple, secure, but tasteful, fence plans. This is so BIL can park his rental cars there (He picked up a 3rd car Chilo reports).

Cesspit and initial house plans to follow that.

Since it is just a plot of grass with two rather large trees ( Close to markers 34 and 35) I did not take any pictures of it. But I guess not that we own it Chilo should ask BIL to take some snaps.

It would be nice to buy Lot #17 from the current owners, but that has to wait for the bank account to fill again and of course their willingness to sell.

But all in all it is nice to take a tangible first step to that Freedom 55 goal..

Jan 2021 here we come..

Whew..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 10-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Here is a video from the people selling the other lots behind us.. The first 1:30 is showing parts of our lot in the background.

Our lot goes from the trees to where you see the gate post (Tan post with a white top) just over the car, in the distance.

Blog Entries

Congrats! You're committed now!

I'm seeing a lot of Nica returnees. Some are doing quite well. It's got to be a vote for the stability and future of the country.

Love those roosters in the video. I wake up every morning at 1:30, think it's because it's too quiet here, miss the roosters who start up about that time (right after the barking dogs finally shut up).

Congratulations on making the move.

Blog Entries

Browsing around by Google today it looks like I will have 2 cesspits dug - One strictly for black water and another for grey water. Seems soap an food stuffs inhibit proper.. um er... digestion..

It will complicate plumbing I think, but not too too much..

Commence planning and design . . . now! Congrats

Do you need a septic tank for grey water or could you direct drain into a leech field. From what I've read grey water is great for bananas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post

Do you need a septic tank for grey water
    Typically no - It is plumbed that way up here as there is only one outlet. That could be why you see so much laundry water run the the streets down there. Probably to save the cesspit from overflowing and not digesting correctly.

or could you direct drain into a leech field. From what I've read grey water is great for bananas.
    At 33' x 150' my leach field options are small.. Literally... Good thing is there is Volcan Masays ash only 3' down, or at least from what I seen from the 2 cesspits in the dig stage I seen. It should leach very fast..

In the field behind (where the 50 lots are going) it looks even closer from the diggings for the ceee-ment pads for those houses.. Probably only a foot.

It will be dug by someone who knows what they are doing and have done it before.. I just want to get up to speed to tell S#it from Shine-ola so to speak..

Blog Entries

I was Kinda sad that I was not going with Chilo to sign the papers - Until I started seeing all of the rain pix on twitter the last few days..

Blog Entries

Will be heading down in a couple of weeks. Y'all can shut off the rain any time. The area we spend most of our time in doesn't have a lot of those fancy paved roads. Going to be some interesting travel via old school bus on washed out dirt.

"The people on the bus go up and down... and side to side... and fore and aft... and now all six...".
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I just want to get up to speed to tell S#it from Shine-ola so to speak..
    Youtube "How to build ____" and a couple hours later you realize you are no where near where you started and have learned quite a lot. Hated learning when I was younger and now I could watch DIY videos all day long.

Blog Entries

Did that.. Apparent "Cesspit" is very British - All the links came up with septic systems in the UK (or at least the first 2 pages)

Have to re-google it as "septic tank" and "leech field" et al..

Blog Entries

Well on the flip side while I will be down there I will be passing time brewing beer and smoking meat . To get up top speed I brewed up my first 50L of Blond beer at the Brew house today.. I have been doing you brew beer for the past 16 yrs or so on and off.. 98 to 04 and then 07is onwards. They have 2 services. One where they brew it all and you just pitch the Yeast and an other service where you do it all.

Really all I have done in the past is pitch the yeast..

Today I did the beginning to end of the brewing.

The main difference here is that they had the Malts already prepared. So I just had to open the taps and instant Glucose and Dextros.. When I get down there I will have to malt my own wheat and barley (I think) as those may not be available.

Takes about 2 hours to boil a batch when you work with liquid glucose and powdered dextrose.

Will see how it works out in 2 weeks ..

In our general area (2 counties, 4 mid size cities) 45 craft brew places have sprung up in the past 20 yrs and there are 10 or 12 you brew places.. THe Brew house (the one I go to) is the oldest in the province and the fellow who runs the place very helpful with information..

That's a pretty nice business and it looks like good equipment. If I can ask, how much will it cost to make 50L? Is Blond Beer like Pale Ale, is that a light wheat malt?

Blog Entries

That's a pretty nice business and it looks like good equipment. If I can ask, how much will it cost to make 50L? Is Blond Beer like Pale Ale, is that a light wheat malt?
    That is exactly what I made - It is called a Brew House Blond - 5.0 to 5.6%

For their set up there is $29 on ingredients, it was $60 for the services (The pot, the heat exchanger, the fermenter, the transfer from the fermenter to the keg (after 1 week), the carbonation step and then a final transfer to 20L kegs) Total with all taxes was $128

Now the difference here is all of the ferment able sugars were liquid and power.

Pale malt extract - About 4.5 L

A Glucose 3.5L

And some dextrose - 2L added on top of the Glucose above

I first boiled up the 50L with 125g of the grains.

Then the sugars

Then toss in the hops in 3 stages (Boiling for 30, middle boil for 15 and then the finishing hops with no boil for 10) Drain, heat exchange and toss in the yeast.

If I understand correctly I will have to "Create" the some or all of the ferment able sugars above directly from the gains as I may not be able to get my hands on the pale malt extract in Nica. That exercise is called mash tun - And to do that I will have to get a crap load of wheat or Barley - get it just wet enough to germinate - Then dry it - Probably toast it - then put it in a large vat of 180f water to pull out all of the sugars and then brew with that.

More work, but the result is better.

And that is before you get into the subject of Hops...

I buy most of my stuff here ( http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/ ) but I fear I will be taxed too hard if I just take a set up from them down there. It costs about $2000 for a top notch set up to do 2 Kegs a day.

My plan is to have an IPA, a blond pilsner and a Red Ale on tap..

I figure that at $1.00 to $1.25US per 500ml pint (in 2013 dollars) , and sell the equiv of 2 kegs by draft per week, we will do just fine. And that can be take both ways.. (e.g we sell it or consume it)

Probably fill growlers as well for take away .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast