Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: House (Non wish) list - The next chapter

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default House (Non wish) list - The next chapter

With the parallel thread for "house wish list" going in this section of the forum I thought I would counter with one a little more down market... "Within reach" lets say.

Any reference to the other thread should be in gentle jest or practical comparison.. No need to make war eh!

So - We have a (tentative) space for our retirement.. :-) (For those of you who do not know me my wife and I plan to split time between Canada and Nica in 10 to 13 years)

No, the land is not purchased yet. so I will be deliberately vague on its location and other details, but the land cost only has 5 digits.

For simplicity I will say that it is in Masaya and it is 20 x 110 foot lot on a paved street with services.

So far we are contemplating three floors. That is an enclosed first and second floor and a 3rd floor that is really just a covered patio. e.g. the roof is jacked up by 6 to 8' to allow a covered patio. Will fire up Sketch up this weekend to put up some initial thoughts.

My (our) major dilemma is whether to do "container" or "brick/concrete". So far container is preferred but Concrete/brick is probably the most affordable and easily built as we are doing it "Johnny Cash" style (One piece at a time)

Will also add to the Brick 101 and steel 101 threads from wayyy back as well.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: House (Non wish) list - The next chapter

what i wish for and what i can afford are 2 different things. i have been looking at earthbags lately...

but that doesn't look like it'd work for you, but looks earthquake resilient and inexpensive... check out these pictures. i say that might not work for you bc of different floors... unless you use confined masonry with earthbags as filler..

http://picasaweb.google.com/austindr...02?feat=email#

war is a good song,
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    I have been looking at earthbags lately...

but that doesn't look like it'd work for you, but looks earthquake resilient and inexpensive... check out these pictures

http://picasaweb.google.com/austindr...02?feat=email#

Earth bags are interesting but there are buildings on three sides already so we can not stucco the outside surface.

Also not sure on how a 2 story would work with that...

I had seen that link before.. Is that casita at one of the resorts?

Blog Entries

This one from SJDS kind of illustrate this..

Except the deck would be on the roof of the 2nd story behind and covered with Zinc.. The bottom of the zink would be covered like this... I think it is cane stock. This example we sat under in the noon sun and was quite refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Earth bags are interesting but there are buildings on three sides already so we can not stucco the outside surface.

Also not sure on how a 2 story would work with that...

I had seen that link before.. Is that casita at one of the resorts?
    it doesn't appear to be.

i have sent the owner an email... i only want to do a one story house for retirement. and my wife saw that house and thought it was cute... so, that's a greenlight!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Google Sketch is driving me batty drawing in box on top of box style. Thinking to switch gears I thought I would just try the reinforced concrete posts and cross members .. What sort of dimensions do these have ?

I scoured high and low through all of my shots but can not find one better than this, The wall to the left in the image.

If I had to guess they look 5"x5" or 6"x6" posts and cross members and seem to "box" 6' x 6' or 6'x5' of blocks.. Am I close ?

Blog Entries

6"x6"

Blog Entries

Thanx Jonh

It did not sink in for a while how big a 110 x 20' house was .. But let me expalin the context..

The far left would be the back 20x19 3 level would be built in the first 5 to 7 yrs. The front (far right) would be be built yr 6 to 10 and the center kind of connecting corridor would be done once we split time down there... The connecting corridore is 10' wide with a 9' open area.. The roof will cover the entire 19x110 structure, inc the courtyard.

Google Sketch up is a bear to use for somethings.. Like the trusses for the roof, I have yet to figure out how to copy items so I will have to make each one individually

Now to add wall "meat" and rooms

Blog Entries

The 6x6 columns are every 3 meters for seismic resistance. Or if you don't want to mix units, they are every 9'-9". Or it's a 15.24cm column every 3 meters...

Then, depending on the seismic zone, there will be a 6"x6" grade beam at the bottom, one or two horizontals in the middle, and one at the top of the wall (each floor).

Looks like you'll get plenty of exercise, especially if you put the beer fridge at one end, and the bathrooms at the far end!

Blog Entries

Note to self : Sand pit under hammock hook

Blog Entries

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Will restart the stylized drawing with those spacings in mind.. At least with Sketch up starting from fresh is not bad. It is more of knowing when to stop one failed attempt and starting a new sheet.

We chose a date of Jan 28 2021 ... If I get there, it will be 30yrs at my current employ..

Kinda fitting " 30 years in this work" thread maybe

Maybe I can play company airport limo driver after 2020 for our split time of May to late September up here ..

Wonder if this post will come back to haunt me in 2020?

I can still find posts of mine on DEC alpha Miltia linux list from 1998 and scanner and radio bits from 1995...

Will restart the stylized drawing with those spacings in mind.. At least with Sketch up starting from fresh is not bad. It is more of knowing when to stop one failed attempt and starting a new sheet.

We chose a date of Jan 28 2021 ... If I get there, it will be 30yrs at my current employ..

Kinda fitting " 30 years in this work" thread maybe

Maybe I can play company airport limo driver after 2020 for our split time of May to late September up here ..

Wonder if this post will come back to haunt me in 2020?

I can still find posts of mine on DEC alpha Miltia linux list from 1998 and scanner and radio bits from 1995...
    i don't like it, i love it....

Blog Entries

You're on a Militia List?

Blog Entries

My typing gets me in trouble all the time...

Multia... Wiki

I also ran an old Sun "Lunchbox"

Blog Entries

In the early '90s I was ran a mile and a half in PT and trying to do enough push ups to stay in OTS. I had my first computer then, a monochrome Winbook with a whopping 128MB hard drive.

Blog Entries

Post in wrong thread...

Blog Entries

Must plan for install of this

[YT]wiu_IX14wLI[/YT]

Nirvana

Blog Entries

Well a few things..

First - it looks like the first plot of land I mentioned below has fell through. Not 100% sure yet but it looks like someone else is all hot and bothered to buy the plot I spoke of last Nov. We have decided that there is no bidding war in our future and we can coast accumulating more funds for now.. If it is still there next trip fine.. But no worries.

Second - We are less warm to building as well after doing some hard reflections between "want" and "need". In the end we are leaning to buy something already built . Searches had us find this fellow on Youtube. I mentioned him on another thread recently. Yes some of the stuff is way up there.. There is a monsterous Granada house and another old mansion as well. But he also has a bunch in the 15-30K range which is where we sit. We will still put a second floor on what ever single story we buy and it appears to be more and more common in our recent trips (that is building second floors on existing buildings)

oswa617
    is his Youtube name.

Third.. Ah.. We are just coming out of winter. only 8 or 9 more (winters) to go. This week the average temperature will rise to "freezing" if the weatherman is correct in their forecast and the ground will only be intermittently white for the next 3 weeks. We had rain Friday and Saturday but then 4" of snow Sunday..

Fourth - I have had reason to use one of those courtesy shuttles when a part on my Ford packed it in on a -22C day. I also had a few trips to the Airport to go to Houston. I managed to quiz both the courtesy driver and the limo drivers for enough info to decide that courtesy/limo driver (if such a position exists in 7 to 10 yrs) would be just the ticket for me. The work mornings or afternoons on a call in basis and get about 1.5x minimum wage to drive people around it a late model car and smile and open doors. Sounds like just the ticket for me. Now where do I get one of those limo driver hats

The change from 10-13 years down to 7 to 10 comes from the purchase of the company I have worked for for the past 20 yrs was bought by a large US conglomerate (Teledyne). There are no job cuts or other bad things in the works, actually opposite. The new arrangement looks marvelous as it (Teledyne) appears to be run in a Buffet-est sort of way and as long as management meets targets we will be pretty much left to our own devices, but it no longer is the little place that I helped build, it "just another large corporation"... Time will tell..

Now.. When will spirit have a $27 seat sale to Managua

Blog Entries

I always thought it would be fun to be a personal chauffeur, not so much a limo driver. Work for the same person or small group all the time so you know what you're getting each day. I have no idea how one lands such a position, I guess it's who you know. Plus, a commercial drivers license.

When you're a Teledyne employee, do you think you can get me a super discount on a Continental O-200 engine? (and no, not one piece at a time )

Oh, here's the hat http://www.amazon.com/Hat-Cotton-Cha.../dp/B000PQGZTO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    When you're a Teledyne employee, do you think you can get me a super discount on a Continental O-200 engine? (and no, not one piece at a time )
    Actually they sold that division the week before they announced they were buying us.. Now they are pure play electronics company, and we are their biggest acquisition's by an an order of 3 we are told.. (burp !)

http://www.teledyne.com/news/tdy_12142010.asp

I am looking to see if they have some sort of operations in Managua though.. That would be cool as we are told transfers between divisions are encouraged.. ..

Blog Entries

I thought I'd heard they sold Continental to a Chinese company. I just didn't dig deep enough into the Teledyne website to find that.

Blog Entries

So... Update...

So that plot which was "off"... Well it was "on" again.. That was until we arrived and found out there is a major Family spat going on spat going on and even "IF" the owner showed up (which they did not) I doubt the transaction would have taken place..

What was refreshing was the amount of people who were looking to sell in out projected price bracket of $25-30K (in 5 years).

In another thread I mentioned how another house on the same street was not selling @ $30K so they saw the light and raised it to $40K.. But it is rented (was empty for 8 yrs) so I guess they have little reason to sell.

One thing I have always liked was straw bale construction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction

The one crux was "where to get the straw ?" .. Well I found 3 vendors along the Panamerican Highway by Tipitapa (Just past Pollo Estela). While it was at 80km/h I think it was actually rice stock bales.. Regardless they have been proven to work just as good as Straw. Next trip we will stop in and see what it costs per bale.

Just think now when people google "Nicaraguan houses" they will get more than Domes and Container based dirt bag houses.. They will also get straw bales..

PS .. Jan 28 it is only 9 yrs to go..

i thought piedrasyolas was straw bale?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast