Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gulf King fishing trawlers

Blog Entries

Default Gulf King fishing trawlers

Anyone know the story on these? It was probably a great fleet at one time. They are now rusting away near El Bluff. I did a quick search on the internet and found a couple of lawsuits noted, but nothing concrete as to why they are parked here. They were registered to a Texas based company, and one had some men aboard and were flying both a US and Nicaraguan flag - but it didn't appear that boat was going anywhere any time soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Gulf King fishing trawlers

US shrimp fleet based in Texas and El Bluff. Boats tied up mainly because of price of fuel (operating expenses + shrimp prices = cost prohibitive)

There was a Korean Fleet in El Bluff as well but they moved elsewhere (Pacific?) when a law was passed that the First Captain on all boats must be Nicaraguan.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

First Captain means first profits?
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You are right the fuel costs to operate a dragger is astronomical; my last "Big" boat burned 600 gallons of diesel a "Clock" or every 24 hours of working....

The Fleet of Gulf King was to many boats for the size of the renewable resource in the area, and I don't care what, you put any man on a boat and it gets scrappy fishing they will STEAL and "Shack" the catch.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    ...I don't care what, you put any man on a boat and it gets scrappy fishing they will STEAL and "Shack" the catch.
    Shack the catch? Sorry, being an admitted land lubber, I don't understand.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

Shack, or Shacking of the catch is selling it.

Some boat owners allow shacking of a by-catch (Not the targeted species) by the Capt. and crew, and others not.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

You are right the fuel costs to operate a dragger is astronomical; my last "Big" boat burned 600 gallons of diesel a "Clock" or every 24 hours of working....

The Fleet of Gulf King was to many boats for the size of the renewable resource in the area, and I don't care what, you put any man on a boat and it gets scrappy fishing they will STEAL and "Shack" the catch.
    So....yet another case of commercial fishermen overfishing a resource until there are no more fish, rusting boats, and no more commercial fishermen.

Nice job Boys! I guess that "dragger" ruined the habitat so there are no more fish either.

I hear buffalo are making a comeback....maybe you guys can kill them off again?

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

My, my, my.... That many boats could not make it in the area...

They did not kill off an anual species, That is rediculas to think that.

Like cows and buffalo they need a certian amount of area to live and eat in..

Now if the buffalo come back what is going to happen to the blasted cows, where they gone eat?

You bout a cantankiouroius Super Sport fisherman...

I think you need to go and take a dip in an above ground swimming pool and cool off a bit...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

My, my, my.... That many boats could not make it in the area...

They did not kill off an anual species, That is rediculas to think that.

Like cows and buffalo they need a certian amount of area to live and eat in..

Now if the buffalo come back what is going to happen to the blasted cows, where they gone eat?

You bout a cantankiouroius Super Sport fisherman...

I think you need to go and take a dip in an above ground swimming pool and cool off a bit...
    As God as my witness this is a real picture of me (on left) with my sister (middle) taken about 67 years ago.

Blog Entries

And God as my witness I am looking at a shot (Not Digitised) of my Grandmother setting me in a similar tub 46 years ago...

Blog Entries

Thanks Bill....I was unaware of this sort of behavior by our Red Brothers. Paragraph two below was especially interesting.

Re-printed from Wikipedia:

History

The buffalo jump was used for 5,500 years by the indigenous peoples of the plains to kill buffalo by driving them off the 11 metre (36 foot) high cliff. Before the late introduction of horses, the Blackfoot drove the buffalo from a grazing area in the Porcupine Hills about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of the site to the "drive lanes", lined by hundreds of cairns, by dressing up as coyotes and wolves. These specialized "buffalo runners" were young men trained in animal behavior to guide the buffalo into the drive lanes. Then, at full gallop, the buffalo would fall from the weight of the herd pressing behind them, breaking their legs and rendering them immobile. The cliff itself is about 300 metres (1000 feet) long, and at its highest point drops 10 metres into the valley below. The site was in use at least 6,000 years ago, and the bone deposits are 12 metres (39 feet) deep. After falling off the cliff, the buffalo carcasses were processed at a nearby camp. The camp at the foot of the cliffs provided the people with everything they needed to process a buffalo carcass, including fresh water. The majority of the buffalo carcass was used for a variety of purposes, from tools made from the bone, to the hide used to make dwellings and clothing. The importance of the site goes beyond just providing food and supplies. After a successful hunt, the wealth of food allowed the people to enjoy leisure time and pursue artistic and spiritual interests. This increased the cultural complexity of the society.

In Blackfoot, the name for the site is Two-dogs-effing. According to legend, a young Blackfoot named "John Who Smells of Fish" wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.[1] Luckily he did win that years Darwin Award as well as Buffalo Hunter of the Year!

Blog Entries

LCT, I got the biggest kick out of your childhood photo, I had saved it somewhere, but couldn't find it so I baited the hook, so to speak hoping you would post it...

I don't know many our ages (over 50 or so) that would not remember these times...

Uuuuu and that "WATA" from the old pitcher pump was "Cold no Hell" in the hot summers coming up out of the ground, not like a city water system where it seens to have been heated. I don't even want a drink out of a city system right straight out of the spigot.

Remember we used to "Let it run" a bit for a real Cool drink of water?

And just in case anyone doesn't know how a Shrimp Boat works, here is a little FACTUAL information of it.

http://youtu.be/9flI6Whzg2g

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Thanks Bill....I was unaware of this sort of behavior by our Red Brothers. Paragraph two below was especially interesting.

Re-printed from Wikipedia:

In Blackfoot, the name for the site is Two-dogs-effing. According to legend, a young Blackfoot named "John Who Smells of Fish" wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.[1] Luckily he did win that years Darwin Award as well as Buffalo Hunter of the Year!

Blog Entries

but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.[1] !

Much rather be buried under beaver... But they do things differently on the prairies...

Blog Entries

Chacon a son gout!

Blog Entries

Most of the boats in that photo are gone now and there is currently a salvage operation trying to float the remaining ones.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Those are cleanest GD shrimp boats I have ever seen on the video JPJW posted. I did one trip as a green header on a shrimp boat, I would rather be the clean up man on a shitwagon than do that again. That is some hard ass, hot, painful, and very tough work.

We used brine to cull the catch and that stuff just tears your skin up, and mine was soft as a Mother's love prior to the trip. The Texas freezer boats would stay out 30-45 days and ice boats about 12-15, I was on a freezer boat that thankfully broke down about 20 days into the trip. When we moneyed out I think I make about $1.75 an hour after it was all said and done. That cull solution would damn near take your skin off and in Texas and off Louisiana the by-catch is astronomical. The shrimpers can't hurt the resource too much by shrimping, but the by-catch is a mothergoose. First thing the captain did was sew the TED's shut the afternoon we started pulling the nets. Talki about killing snapper and other stuff, wow. But man the Ling behind the boats and some of the tuna we would see was impressive. It is a bus tub buffet for many sea creatures. One thing dies and others profit.

I am convinced that only midgets should be headers on shrimp boats, as that long at stooping in a rocking boat is just physically really uncomfortable and it builds on you. There is no smell in the world quite like a 3 week old shrimp boat out working in the Gulf during the summer. And what is better is that anything cooked on said shrimp boat ends up tasting like that smell. There may not be 30 foot seas and 35 degree water out there, but there is 100 plus degree heat, roasting sun, and stink that would fell most buzzards on the proverbial shitwagon. I knew/know a lot of shrimpers that carry life long ailments related to shrimping, it is really tough work.

Back in the 60's and 70's the boats out of Texas would shrimp in Mexico and in the Bay of Campeche, it was not unheard of a boat to make one trip and the captain or owner to come back in a buy a house for cash. The area I grew up in, Brownsville/Port Isabel, had as many as close to 1000 boats working at one time. Supposedly the largest shrimp fleet in the world for decades.

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for a real world assessment of shrimping.

Sew up the TED's and by catch be damned.........

That video made it look like the nets just barely skimmed the bottom with pool table smooth sand....bullshit! They destroy the environment but nobody can see it.

I wonder what the size of the fleet is now? Maybe this will help ....http://texaslesstraveled.com/template_blank.htm ....160 boats?

Nice job boys.You effed yourselves out of a living as usual.

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for a real world assessment of shrimping.

Sew up the TED's and by catch be damned.........

That video made it look like the nets just barely skimmed the bottom with pool table smooth sand....bullshit! They destroy the environment but nobody can see it.

I wonder what the size of the fleet is now? Maybe this will help ....http://texaslesstraveled.com/template_blank.htm ....160 boats?

Nice job boys.You effed yourselves out of a living as usual.
    Hey I question not his honesty...

In my 20 some years of SHRIMPING I nevah caught a single turtle.. NOPE not 1...

I did however catch one in a Scallop trawl, the only one I caught in my life and my crew and I divided it among ourselves. I guess it would be called "Poached" because we did make soup out of part of it. This was years before the devolopment of TED's (Turtle Excluding Devises).

If a Capt. ordered the TED sewn shut it would be his ass if caught, REAL heavy fine. As far as by-catch goes that is refered to as fish and other NON endangered species caught as an incidental catch. Many Super Sport fishermen who want nothing better than to have the Commercial fishermen shut down claim this incidental catch is 4.5 times the ammount of shrimp caught, but it is not the case at all. NMFS puts it at 1% on average ratio.

The nets do in fact skim across the bottom just like the video shows, there is no substance, or proof it does otherwise.. Just plain hype to play on those that are not informed emotions.

As fuel costs have risen so has the cost of production of local wild caught shrimp. Cheap imports from farms that feed their shrimp shit, antibiotics and growth steriods puts a compitittion of price on local wild caught and further being an economic negitive to a profitable operation.

Regulations in licensing, and areas to be fished and not to be fished further the industry into bancrupcy and going out of business.

At present however there is something else that is beig addressed as we speak. ESA (Endangered Species Act).

Sports Fishermen and Turtle Huggers have combined in their efforts to close down ALL Commercial Fishing practices. But the Sports fishermen are to stupid to see the Forrest for the Trees. You see, there are far more interactions now between the Sea Turtles than ALL commercial fishing combined.

http://wavy.com/2014/07/07/sea-turtl...after-release/

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/in...hotos-1.328523

http://touch.wavy.com/r2852/40680675

IF, I say If this is so...

Why do my unnamed sources within the Beasley Foundation itself, that wish to remain anonomious.....

Tell me that the #1 and #2 problems that they deal with on Turtles taken there for attention, are hook and line related as well as propellar strikes that are apearently from high speed boats?

Hey it is a Simple question!

They wish to remain anonamous because of funding...

The majority of turtle injuries, according to the Beasley Foundation website are caused by hooks, and boat strikes.

Some have fishing lines (monofilament) that aren't nets but lines that are on the hooks. Others struck by high speed boat propellars.

Many hooks are found imbedded inside the Sea Turtles that are turned in to them as a humanitarian effort when spotted and left to die a horrable death by an inconsiderate angler that either just cuts the line, or the line is to light to stand the strain of the "Fight".

Sportsfisherman used their money to support this foundation so they could attack commercial fishing nets!

However, the Beasley foundation is now questioning why?

SPORTSFISHERMEN aren't being held accountable as well!

The turtle lovers love the turtles, they will go after the Sportsfishermen too, to protect their turtles!

Commercial fishermen (Shrimpers) invented TED's Turtle Excluder Devices that according to and approved by NOAA are 97% effective in avoiding incidental captures of the species.

And local Shrimper testmony's attest to the fact that what do get by these devises wind up being live releases once on board.

NOW what, are the many, many anglers doing to avoid the above?

Blog Entries

Commercial fishermen are evil capitalists raping the Earth. That's all a turtle hugger knows.

Blog Entries

JPJW,

I do not have the energy or the interest to refute all of your baseless claims.

In 50 years of fishing, I have never nor have I ever heard of a sport fisherman snagging a turtle. Could happen though, I guess.

I can find no internet information on the "Beasley Foundation". So much for un-named sources from an unknown organization, huh?

If a commercial fisherman invented the TED, then it was to make a buck or to comply with a law. Both OK by me, but don't try to tell me he was a turtle hugger.

All I know is that commercial fishermen have a history of fishing out a species until there are so few left that it is economically unfeasible to continue....then move on while the species tries to survive, scratching their balls and wondering what happened! You did it yourself with Calico Scallops, eh? Meanwhile our ever vigilant and totally inept and late legislators get involved after the damage has been done.

You guys never look at yourselves as the problem. Always blame stupid legislators, "Sporties", or environmental changes in habitat....."duhhhh, I don't know.... the fish just went away".

You can tow the party line all you want but the commercial fishing industry has a history of depleting marine life populations until society has to step in and stop you. And yes the same is true for Sporties, but the difference in scale is enormous.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Amen to that.

Same thing in Norway

I did a lot of bottom fishing here in Charleston, SC. and can remember catching 2 turtles hook and line
    both were hooked in the flipper. we were able to bring them aboard and remove the hooks but it was not easy. The best fishing is over live bottom that's where the turtles are.

Blog Entries

I just dropped my god-daughter off at the Saturday morning matinee: the new Ninja Turtles movie. I don't believe they get caught; rather they do the catching.

Relevant to naught, I once caught a snapping turtle out of the creek where it runs through a skunk cabbage marsh. Huge - the size of a doormat. I was on a log bridge. It bit a stick the size of my arm and wouldn't let go until I got it a third of the way out of the water. Learned not to stick my hand into those deep, tannin dark, still waters. Kept my fishing for craw-daddies to digging in the muck raked from the bank.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast