Thread: Thanksgiving Plans?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Thanksgiving Plans?

The time for overindulgence has rolled around again; family, friends, food and football!
    What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving and, more importantly, what's gonna be on your holiday table this year????

Roger butchered me a duck yesterday. Today it gets deboned, layered with homemade duck sausage stuffing, rolled up and wrapped in bacon. Sides are mashed taters, sweet corn, cranberry sauce, marinated maters and fried okra. Hope I have room for beer to go with the day's football!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thanksgiving Plans?

Am thinking about breaking tradition as my neighbor just dropped off 3 pounds of fresh caught wahoo.

So I'm thinkin grilled marinated wahoo, conch salad, and pigeon peas and rice.... with a St. Pauli Girl on the side.

My tomatoes are just not ripe enough yet to use in the salad but should be next week.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

We have a get-together at a Nica cousin's house where everyone brings something. My wife slaved over a hot stove for hours making Nicaraguan style stuffing, which contains pork, raisins, etc. Not my kind of stuffing, I prefer the savory and less soupy gringo dressing. She's also bringing pumpkin flan or cheesecake or both. The cousin is married to an Italian guy who also cooks like mad, so it's gonna be some good eatin'. And giving of thanks for the ability to do so.

lunch with the inlaws and family at our house

dinner with friends and family at friend's house

maybe a motorcycle ride and fix a child's bike...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Going to sisters house up north. everyone will bring something my contibution will be a slow roasted venison roast basted with bourbon and brown sugar, ( we have 2 more days left on deer season here). pumpkin roll with cheese cake filling and some peanut butter and chocolate fudge.
    Happpy T-Day Ya'll

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Work

Ours was a month and a half ago..

Happy Turkey day to you all..

Words from Red Green this Turkey day...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American friends. Although I've never understood how being grateful compels people to eat things like turnip and squash. Enjoy the football games but remember, undoing your pants is never part of the half-time show. Especially if you don't have enough coverage in the end zone.

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

This morning we got some small mas mas (lagoon guapote) at the little makeshift market next to the river. We were planning to eat fried fish at mid-day. Then, one of the girls came to me to explain that upon putting the fish to fry they smell a bit past their prime. They have decided I shouldn´t eat those fish with the rest.

Looks like my Turkey-Day dinner will consist of canned hominey over white rice with an alfredo sauce (from the bottle). I´m certainly thankful that we have SOMETHING to eat!

Seferino went warí (white-lipped peccary) hunting today, though. Who knows what tomorrow will bring to us!

A favorite saying around here is, ¨A banana in your hand still isn´t yours!¨ Its not dinner time yet!

Aisabe,
    Papatara

PS: I just remembered that I hid some jelly beans (orange, strawberry, grape, pineapple, cherry, lime, lemon, and annise flavors) around here that I can use for dessert!
    Last edited by mupitara; 11-25-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot dessert!
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

That's too harsh, dud! I tried something new today, a twist on an Italian dish of wrapped pork. I used a duck instead, since we raise them, deboned the fella and made a duck sausage stuffing, wrapped the whole thing in bacon. It came out delish, I was seriously happy with this one!

Homemade chocolate and vanilla ice creams topped off an otherwise traditional Thanksgiving meal, Josh and Roger weren't complainin' any so I guess it was all good!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

No pictures, but the peas and rice that Maria made was excellent (didn't know she knew how to make it).

My conch salad was the best ever...still not sure why.

The wahoo was a bit dry, but still quite serviceable.

Patriots won dammit.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

The Perfect Thanksgiving meal, Melissa! That duck had an excellent taste, and the bacon was like the cherry on top... fried okra, mashed potatoes and some fresh salad was delicious as always and the Ice Cream was out of this world, but I think the Vanilla should get the blue ribbon.

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    That's too harsh, dud! I tried something new today, a twist on an Italian dish of wrapped pork. I used a duck instead, since we raise them, deboned the fella and made a duck sausage stuffing, wrapped the whole thing in bacon. It came out delish, I was seriously happy with this one!

Homemade chocolate and vanilla ice creams topped off an otherwise traditional Thanksgiving meal, Josh and Roger weren't complainin' any so I guess it was all good!
    Wow! You certainly did top my Thanksgiving day fare! Wish I could have been there to join in suffering the after-pains of overindulgence! Ice cream? We didn´t even have ice!

Anyway, I wasn´t the one who ended up with the banana for lunch. The cherry flavored jelly bean I had hidden away was really nice, though.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Dud,

Looks like someone is looking out for you.

A Happy Thanksgiving is one you survive I guess.

Damn Patriots....

Where is that darn banana anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    This morning we got some small mas mas (lagoon guapote) at the little makeshift market next to the river. We were planning to eat fried fish at mid-day. Then, one of the girls came to me to explain that upon putting the fish to fry they smell a bit past their prime. They have decided I shouldn´t eat those fish with the rest.

Looks like my Turkey-Day dinner will consist of canned hominey over white rice with an alfredo sauce (from the bottle). I´m certainly thankful that we have SOMETHING to eat!

Seferino went warí (white-lipped peccary) hunting today, though. Who knows what tomorrow will bring to us!

A favorite saying around here is, ¨A banana in your hand still isn´t yours!¨ Its not dinner time yet!

Aisabe,
    Papatara

PS: I just remembered that I hid some jelly beans (orange, strawberry, grape, pineapple, cherry, lime, lemon, and annise flavors) around here that I can use for dessert!