Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are here!

Default We are here!

Didn't want to post until we actually arrived since, last year, some last minute changes made it possible for only mi mujer to make the trip. But all went well this year and I am here (in Granada) as well. The trip went well but it was very long day starting with a 4 1/2 hour drive from Ocean City Maryland to Dulles airport in Washington DC. We found flights for $378 round trip so it was worth the expense to reserve a "one way" car rental to the airport ($170 with gas and a $100 drop off fee). Took Continental Airlines and am extremely pleased with their service. We checked four large duffel bags of clothing and Xmas gifts that had been pre-weighed at the local post office to be sure they were no more than 50 lbs as per airline regs. As it turns out, the woman who checked the bags didn't even bother to check the scale. She sent them straight thru. We also carried on a couple of very full pack packs, a larger than life "purse" for my wife and a 22" LED, HDTV in the box (gift for the suegra). No problems with anything even though the tv was a bit over the limit for carry-on. 3 1/2 hour flight to Houston, 1 1/2 hour layover and a 1/2 hour delay there then onto Managua. Arrived at 10pm Nica-time and went thru immigration ($10) and customs like a hot knife thru butter! I thought the tv in a box might be a tax problem but they said nothing! Everyone was friendly and helpfull and a few $1 tips later all our stuff was packed into some kind of Suzuki 4X4 (our airport to Granada transportation) and $41 later ($40 for the fee and $1 for the parking) we were on our way to Granada.
    While the driver was offering to rent me the suzuki for $50 per day (I told him I didn't like to drive in Nicaragua because of all the police who are looking for "tips" along the highway) suddenly we were pulled over (near Masaya) by a lone policeman who checked all the driver's paperwork and then, when no bribe was offered, boldly asked for some "coffee money"! The driver refuse him and we were on our way. Arrived at the house we rented thru the internet and settled in for the night.
    Overall a very good trip to arrive here and my first overall impression was the smell of everything, the air was sort of "warm, earthy and heavily accented with animal caca"!
    My other overall first strong impression was of the general friendliness of everyone, at the airport and here in Granada the past few days. We also attended a promotion/graduation for my little niece who is moving on from kindergarten to first grade. This took place in the El Guanacaste area (near Mombacho) and the hundred or so people in attendance seemed to all have a respectful curiosity about the chele gringo who was attending the ceremony and taking videos. Overall, everyone was very friendly and the ceremony was most interesting and will be the subject of a later post.
    So far, we are glad to be back (my wife is thrilled to be back) and are looking forward to our 4 month stay. I am looking forward to meeting some of my TRN friends and in continuing to post about this year's adventure! Saludos a todos!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: We are here!

Were glad to have you back (online)! Four months is gonna be great, enjoy it!

Yep! As usual, I had no idea as to what had happened to you. Glad to see ya back on line again. Four months is a nice spell. Is this a tester of your living permanently within the Nica theater of life or just a vacation away from the oncoming winter?

Whatever? Glad to see ya back on line.

Thanks and thanks... Jonh and Mr Bob! Just a vacation but everything in life is a "test" soooooo... for now, we are planning on eventually doing the 6 X 6 plan... 6 months (mas o menos) in the States and 6 in Nicaland. Even renting the house we are in at the moment was a test and, unfortunately, it failed!
    Today we are moving to a different place and much nicer. Where we are now, we like the neighbors but not the house. Where we are going, we love the house and will have to see how the neighbors pan out! But it is looking good so far. I will post more about why, how and what the hell happened with this first rental house later but for now .... we gotta get packing.... again!!!!

Blog Entries

Welcome back...missed your pics.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Hola y bienevidos
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Hola y bienevidos
    Gracias y cuidate mucho hermanito!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    Today we are moving to a different place and much nicer. Where we are now, we like the neighbors but not the house. Where we are going, we love the house and will have to see how the neighbors pan out! But it is looking good so far. I will post more about why, how and what the hell happened with this first rental house later but for now .... we gotta get packing.... again!!!!
    It's saturday night about 1am (our first night in the new house) and I can't sleep because the neighbors have a bunch of young bucks on their front porch who are drunk and very loud. I am hoping this only happens on saturday nights but either way, my solution will be to turn on and turn up the stereo and sleep with the music on. This is usually how it works for me in Nicaragua.
    La Purissima is happening these days as well. It's nine days of late night catholic processions and bombas (loud explosives) with music playing throughout various streets. So far, it hasn't been too noisy for what I am used to. One year here I swear I missed sleeping for all nine days straight for the constant processions that were passing by the house at all hours of the night. I think there is a pretty big procession tomorrow and I will try to get some pics!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

See ya' in a few days...am seriously looking forward to tasting salt water taffy again!!!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

La Purissima is happening these days as well. It's nine days of late night catholic processions and bombas (loud explosives) with music playing throughout various streets. So far, it hasn't been too noisy for what I am used to. One year here I swear I missed sleeping for all nine days straight for the constant processions that were passing by the house at all hours of the night. I think there is a pretty big procession tomorrow and I will try to get some pics!
    I spoke to soon!!!! Finally got to sleep around 2am and at 4:30 a couple of trucks passed by the house, all too slowly, with larger speakers in the back blasing music and announcing "Viva la purissima, Maria de Nicaragua, Nicaragua de Maria, Conception de Maria"!!!!! Over and over and over. I think December 8th is the supposed date that the Virgin Mary was conceived by her mother. And this is what everyone is celebrating. My wife tells me that the "gritaria" is coming on the 7th of December... this is, more or less, the climax of la purissima, when tons of people will take to the streets in processions.....singing, yellling and setting off fireworks !!! I have seen people, in garages, preparing "floats" and images of Mary for the various processions here in Granada!

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    See ya' in a few days...am seriously looking forward to tasting salt water taffy again!!!!!
    It's here.... along with the liquid smoke!!!!

Even renting the house we are in at the moment was a test and, unfortunately, it failed!
    I had found a house last year on the internet to rent in Granada and sent a deposit equal to the first month's rent to the owner. Unfortunately, at the last minute, I wasn't able to make the trip and my wife went alone. Because I didn't go, she was able to stay in our "casita" that we had built on her parents property out in El Guanacaste about 4 years ago. I stayed in the "casita" one time for a few months and being out in the boonies without internet, phone, cable, gym, swimming pool and a safe place to take my walks drove me loco! So after that time we decided to let the family (which is huge) use our casita and we would rent in Granada were I can more easily follow a daily routine that keeps me calm and happy.
    To that end we made the deposit and because I couldn't come and my wife preferred to stay with her folks, I thought I would just lose my deposit. But the owner was kind enough to extend the offer for a whole year and let us apply the deposit to this year's rental. I had sent my sister in law to look over the rental house before we sent the deposit and she loved it and advised us that it was a very nice home. On that basis we made the decision to send the first month's rent.
    However this year, at the last minute (a week before we left to fly down here) the owner called and said he had the opportunity to rent the house out for a full year and couldn't pass it up. But he offered us a different house in Granada and sent us pics to review. It looked fine on the pics and because we didn't have many other options we agreed to the new house.
    Now, I don't fault the owner for wanting to rent the first house out to someone else, especially for a whole year and I have to appreciate that he even extended our first contract so that we wouldn't lose the deposit from the year before. But unfortunately, the second house just didn't come up to my wife's (or my) standards. There was little or no dishes, utensils, pots or pans. No storage space for clothing and a very undersized fridge. No AC in the bedroom (as advertised), two out of three fans didn't work and the bath was separate from the main house as was the additional bedroom. My niece was going to be staying with us as a paid employee to do most of the domestic chores and we didn't like the idea of her sleeping in a bedroom that was separate from the main house. The house had also not been cleaned very well. Finally, it was a contract that had "all utilities included" and the propane tank was empty! The home just had not been well prepared to receive clients. The final straw was that the remote control did not work!!!!!! No self respecting man would rent a house without a working remote for the tv!!!!
    I had previously searched out some other properties online and contacted the owners of one of those and came up with a quick appointment to view a different house in Granada and we were able to sign a new contract at a cheaper price which will easily cover the loss of our deposit.
    So far, we are pleased with the new house. The neighbors are nice (except for the drunks who hang out across the street all day where they sell guaro) and we have all the perks we were originally hoping for and even a larger patio. Best of all, there's a brand new tv with a working remote!

Glad that all worked out for you and yours. Did you arrive by air or did you drive? At one time you had showed interest in driving down.

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Glad that all worked out for you and yours. Did you arrive by air or did you drive? At one time you had showed interest in driving down.
    We flew! I was told not to trust Mexico these days! Hoping to do a drive down some time in the future.

This is the pool where I swim everyday. It's located on Atravesada Street just north of the movie theatre in the Spa Granada Hotel. I have the whole pool to myself each morning. It costs $5 per day or $25 per week, or $45 per month. If you buy a month and pay in advance they throw in a free 1 hour massage. I had permission from my wife to take the massage but then she found out that she could get a free facial instead so there goes the massage. There is also a pool in the Granada Hotel near the Guadalupe Church which is probably twice the size and is in the center of a beautiful garden. I will try to post a pic some other time. It runs $50 per month.

Great to finally meet ya' hon! Roger and I enjoyed lunch with you and Maria, looking forward to havin' y'all come by our little slice of paradise for a picnic sometime real soon!

The salt water taffy box is getting real empty, real quick!
    JW, the Old Bay seasoning is for you and I'll add it to the package of cookies for your kids this Friday.

Met Melissa and Roger today in Granada and we shared some beers and some conversation. It was great to meet them and I can't believe how much I learned in a just a couple of hours about homesteading in Nicaragua. They are not only wonderful people they are bonified experts on the good life (and sometimes not so good life) here in the land of Cocibolca!!!! Look forward to doing it again real soon.... thanks!

Oh.... I brought the camera but do to "brainsludge" from the beers, I forgot to take some pics...

Vive brainsludge!

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Vive brainsludge!
    Is this the new slogan for Nicaragua! Love it. kind of like pura vida.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jack thank you so much for remembering the "old Bay" seasoning ....

I because I am the only one in the house that appreciates it am sharing half of it with Roger and Mil...

Welcome to Paradise...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Jack thank you so much for remembering the "old Bay" seasoning ....

I because I am the only one in the house that appreciates it am sharing half of it with Roger and Mil...

Welcome to Paradise...
    Your very welcome amigo....if you are coming west the next few months, would love to meet you! Glad you are feeling better!

Little story....

We went to the bank yesterday to pay the electric bill. The line was very long and serpentined with at least 60 people. There was a guard on the inside of the bank door and when I turned to leave he said to me..."you don't have to wait, just go to the nearest teller" and he pointed to where I should go. I looked at my wife and asked "is he serious? Can I go ahead of all these people?". She said, "that's what he said!". So we went in and excused ourselves as we moved thru the people and up to the teller window. I looked around at the various clients (all Nica) and from the look in their eyes, you would think I just killed their dog! I said to my wife, " I can't do this. It's not fair that I should go ahead of all these people just because I am a Gringo! Let's get out of here". I walked back thru the crowd quickly and out the door as my wife grabbed my arm and said "He didn't send you to that line because you are gringo, that line is for the old, sick and/or disabled people!!!!!!!!" We had a good laugh over it.

Blog Entries

We flew! I was told not to trust Mexico these days! Hoping to do a drive down some time in the future.
    Hey Jack, glad to read you & Maria got in OK. And what a beautiful set-up you landed on!

You're right about Mexico. My philosophy: trust in God, doubt all the rest of 'em.

We drove. Will post some bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Hey Jack, glad to read you & Maria got in OK. And what a beautiful set-up you landed on!

You're right about Mexico. My philosophy: trust in God, doubt all the rest of 'em.

We drove. Will post some bits.
    It's been years since I drove but think I will on my next trip down. Would be interested in hearing you account of the trip.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I have a picture in my un published hoard of not ready for prime time shots of a early 90's Suburban with North Carolina plates that pulled out of the On The Run in Masaya heading (further) south..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast