Thread: Internet at the house in El Guanacaste!!!!

Default Internet at the house in El Guanacaste!!!!

As I have said in various posts in the past, my wife's family lives at the foot of Volcan Mombacho in an area called El Guanacaste. It is about 15 miles south/southwest of Granada. When I first arrived in Nicaragua in 2004 and met and started dating my wife, it was impossible to reach her when she was not in Granada for work. At that time there were few cell phones (if any) in Nicaragua and in Guanacaste there were no telephone land lines, let alone, tv cable or internet connections. If she wasn't in Granada working, I would have to take a bus or taxi out to the family house to find her. Those were my only options.

Fast forward to 2010 and on friday past we went to the Claro office and took advantage of a promotion they were having on their "pre-pay" internet service for "wireless" connectivity. The dongle was free but we had to pay $40 for 15 days of service. We brought a laptop with us from the States. The dongle worked fine in Granada but then came time for testing it out in Guanacaste. We took the computer out to the house on friday afternoon and proceeded to connect the dongle and perform the various mouse clicks necessary to "attempt" to connect to the internet and to learn if the signal existed en el campo.
    Lo and behold ...IT WORKED!!!!! Now for the best part............

My wife's sister is living and working in Costa Rica and the people she works for have a computer with internet connection. So we were able to contact her through Yahoo messenger and start a "skype-like" chat and live conversation with streaming video. The whole family packed around the computer to strain to see the image of my sister in law and to hear her voice and she was thrilled to be able to see all of her family as well. The kids were all excited and jumping up and down and shouting "Tia, Tia, Tia and my mother in law was in tears for the "miracle" she could hardly comprehend. As I have often said before, my mother in law is a women who lives in the ways of the past and who up until a very short time ago never had a cement floor in her house, nor indoor bath, nor cooked with anything but wood in an outside kitchen. For her, the computer and the video were barely comprehensible.
    So now we will be leaving the laptop and the dongle and also a magic jack phone adapter (that we also brought along) at my mother in law's house when we go back. So that my wife can call her anytime and see her on the computer and talk as long as they both like.
    We sent one of my nieces to computer school this past year so she is educated enough to be able to operate and manage any problems with the computer or it's connections.
    It was a great day in Guanacaste on Friday for all of us!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Internet at the house in El Guanacaste!!!!

Whodathunk it back in the 70's when these things first came along?

Nice story Jack.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Nice story Jack, and did you know that a guy named Jack helped to make that all possible?
    So, you don't know Jack? That is Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments who independently developed the integrated circuit.

It gives me comfort to know that the old snots were the ones responsible for the comforts of today.

Jack,
    I was told that the magic jack would not work with a dongle.....have you used it yet......Always nice to hear others are wrong!
    I am moving out your way (KM62) and found out Movistar has 3g available out there, so probable will go with them, if all is true. I still have to try it out for myself first.
    Not that I don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by dubereyes View Post
    Jack,
    I was told that the magic jack would not work with a dongle.....have you used it yet......Always nice to hear others are wrong!
    I am moving out your way (KM62) and found out Movistar has 3g available out there, so probable will go with them, if all is true. I still have to try it out for myself first.
    Not that I don't believe it.
    Works great... even better than in the States. Just got off an incoming call and have talked to all my family at least once through outgoing calls. My only problem is that my computer seems to overheat sometimes and shuts down unexpectedly (nothing to do with the magicjack). Taking it to the tech this week for a cleaning. But everyone I talk to says it sounds like I am right next door with the magicJack!!!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    Works great... even better than in the States. Just got off an incoming call and have talked to all my family at least once through outgoing calls. My only problem is that my computer seems to overheat sometimes and shuts down unexpectedly (nothing to do with the magicjack). Taking it to the tech this week for a cleaning. But everyone I talk to says it sounds like I am right next door with the magicJack!!!
    Just be sure that you are hooked up at 512kbps... <--- What is this??

Well for Movistar they offer 3 levels with Prepay.. 1/2 hour @ 256 KB/s @ $C10 or 1 hour at 256kb/s @ $C15 or the 12 hours at $C50 @ 512 kb/s...

Only with the 512kb/s was I able to get good VOIP (Internet telephone) .. That would be Magic Jack or Skype or Googletalk or Yahoo messanger.. The whole group of internet call programs..

Most Dongles will report their speed at connection.. e.g. "G3 connectado @ 512 kbps.. "

I bet Claro is the same ...

That is a good price for the dongle..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

thanks everyone, I think I am happy...???