Thread: Hotel Joxi - Sanjuan Del Sur

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Hotel Joxi - Sanjuan Del Sur

Reasonably priced hotel in SJDS.

This hotel was recommended to by Herminia (SIL) and Oscar.

They had stayed in a room on the second floor over new years 2007/2008 with 16 people for 5 days but the room that could accommodate that many was now made into 3 separate rooms.

The rate we paid for a Tuesday/Wed stay over was $35. Rate included Breakfest for all 6.

A/C was included.

Here is the lobby.

And the balcony ....

Room that sleeps 6 was $35. Standard fare of 2 double beds and a bunk. AC was cold, breakfast was good it is about one block back from restaurant row along the beach.

Here is a link to Google maps, Center would be the approximate location.

There was a couple from the interior of BC that was on a 6 month stay on the second floor. There was a couple ladies from Holland traveling all of Central America that we sat and chatted with for close to an hour. There was this other fellow from Guatemala that drives down regularly and stays at the hotel that Chilo and Oscar spoke to for about an hour and a half while I absorbed the goings on in Guatemala, truly sad state of affairs there.

The second floor has Hammocks for use and you will find some patrons actually spending the night on the hammock opposed to their room.

We plan to stay here again on Dec/Jan 2011/2012 trip with the "Chitins"
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hotel Joxi - Sanjuan Del Sur

What a great deal!

That hotel was built by a friend of mine, Capt. John Brox, a retired Norwegian sea captain.

I first met this man in 1998 when I first arrived in Nicaragua. I checked into the Hotel Estrella, which I called home with the Sandino family, however; Hotel Joxi was the only internet connection in the whole of San Juan del Sur at that time, so I came to meet this gentleman.

John was not a an outgoing sort, kept to himself and took care of business. He had married a local woman and adopted her children as his own. (Never saw John any happier than the time he thought that his adoption of 10 orphaned children was going to be approved.)

I don't think that John liked me at all on our first meetings, as he arose early as did I, but the early part of the mornings belonged to him as his quiet times.

There were only two people up at 5AM in SJDS at that time and it was John and myself. He didn't open his doors until 6AM and that was only for looks, for still no one was awake at 6AM with the exception of the two of us. He apparently resented that fact.

I would show up at 6AM for coffee and to use the internet. John would just patiently sit in his chair, drinking his coffee, and look at me until the very second that the hand of his clock showed 6AM and then he would open the door and grunt at me, as I requested coffee and the right to use the computer.

Ever day, it was the same thing, until one morning I showed up 5 minutes late. John didn't even look up, nor give me his usual grunt; he just said, "you're late!"

I'd watch this elderly gentleman, in his 70's, show up daily on the front street with his speedo's, arms crossed as he viewed the waters of the bahia. He would then jog on the beach and do his pushups.

He kinda warmed up to me as being the usual fly on the wall that wasn't gonna go away. Our friendship grew with John flying to Texas a couple of times to visit with me.

I returned to Nicaragua in 2001 and continued with our friendship, when John complained of severe pains in his back. I always take with me medicines that I may need and offered him some celebrix, to which he refused. A couple of days later, I was sitting in El Timon when John came in and said he had to ask for those pills.

They worked for a while. Neither of us at time knew that he was suffering from cancer of the prostate.

John was a good man and loved his new home of Nicaragua.

Nice story Mr Bob... sorry you lost your friend!

Thanks for the info on the hotel Bill!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

I saw all the Norwegian ship artifacts nailed to the wall and assumed there was such a story attached to it all.

Thanx for the background Bob.

I really liked the Balcony... We loaded up SIL Marta's cooler with a bunch of Tona from Pali and watched the tourist pass until 3AM... Oscar was using the cooler as a seat..

The TV in the room wass turned on for Novellas earlier in the eving but was black.. When advised the desk lady said "Just wait 10 min" and sure as shooting within 10 "real min" the picture came into view.

There are 3 parking spots in front of the hotel.. Quiador (sp?) was $C20 for Oscar's $25/day 2003 Yaris..

Out of the 4 restaurants we have tried along the beach El Timon seems to be the one that draws me back the most..

Blog Entries

Wow - Google puts this post as #4 in their hit list..

I am assuming they are still open? We will be calling for reservations soon.

Anyone want to go for a few brews when we are there? Probably between Xmas and NYE..

Great story DSB! sorry to hear of cancer.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

So how do you pronounce it? Hawks-ee? Jock-see? Ho-shee? Hoax-see?

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    So how do you pronounce it? Hawks-ee? Jock-see? Ho-shee? Hoax-see?

As long as it's not pronounced "hoe-cha" as in Enver Hoxha ( in Nicaragua, you never know . . . .!
    )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enver_Hoxha
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Hoax-see is pretty close to right.

Blog Entries

Yesterday on Yahoo they had a list of the 10 best new economical small hotels and Casa de Olas in SJDS was #10. Check out the website.
    www.casa-de-olas.com
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

Humm.. First - Why am I updating this a little more than a year after our last stay?? Someone asked where we stayed last time..

I forgot to do an update last Jan..

First the place has been bought by Spaniards running away from the fiscal crisis in the EU I guess and they were truely clueless on how to run a B&B ..

The price had doubled..

The service had halved..

The staff bickered amongst themselves..

We would probably not stay there again..

BUT..

Googling them shows a management change in Sept 2012 so who knows.. I guess I should check with one of my embedded spys in SJDS.. to get the real dirt..

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Humm.. First - Why am I updating this a little more than a year after our last stay?? Someone asked where we stayed last time..

I forgot to do an update last Jan..

First the place has been bought by Spaniards running away from the fiscal crisis in the EU I guess and they were truely clueless on how to run a B&B ..

The price had doubled..

The service had halved..

The staff bickered amongst themselves..

We would probably not stay there again..

BUT..

Googling them shows a management change in Sept 2012 so who knows.. I guess I should check with one of my embedded spys in SJDS.. to get the real dirt..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

In other news, the Joxi is now merged with Hotel Rositas next door.

Good service, clean basic room, and TRN member is running the ship now. All in all a good stay.

My BIL Daniel (Who moved back 3 yrs ago) was there in December with SIL Herminia and Oscar - He spoke to said TRN member then and did not connect the dots on why he was familiar until about 3 or 4 hours after we sat with him to chin wag for about an hour.

Only spent one nite, which is about right for SJDS - Walked to see JC up on the hill (Just Cement) - Seen how Dr D's plot was (from a far) it is still sparsely built there, but 3 or 4 were in process. The main hill back of the town is popping houses like a 15 yr old with acne...
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    That hotel was built by a friend of mine, Capt. John Brox, a retired Norwegian sea captain.

I first met this man in 1998 when I first arrived in Nicaragua. I checked into the Hotel Estrella, which I called home with the Sandino family, however; Hotel Joxi was the only internet connection in the whole of San Juan del Sur at that time, so I came to meet this gentleman.

John was not a an outgoing sort, kept to himself and took care of business. He had married a local woman and adopted her children as his own. (Never saw John any happier than the time he thought that his adoption of 10 orphaned children was going to be approved.)

I don't think that John liked me at all on our first meetings, as he arose early as did I, but the early part of the mornings belonged to him as his quiet times.

There were only two people up at 5AM in SJDS at that time and it was John and myself. He didn't open his doors until 6AM and that was only for looks, for still no one was awake at 6AM with the exception of the two of us. He apparently resented that fact.

I would show up at 6AM for coffee and to use the internet. John would just patiently sit in his chair, drinking his coffee, and look at me until the very second that the hand of his clock showed 6AM and then he would open the door and grunt at me, as I requested coffee and the right to use the computer.

Ever day, it was the same thing, until one morning I showed up 5 minutes late. John didn't even look up, nor give me his usual grunt; he just said, "you're late!"

I'd watch this elderly gentleman, in his 70's, show up daily on the front street with his speedo's, arms crossed as he viewed the waters of the bahia. He would then jog on the beach and do his pushups.

He kinda warmed up to me as being the usual fly on the wall that wasn't gonna go away. Our friendship grew with John flying to Texas a couple of times to visit with me.

I returned to Nicaragua in 2001 and continued with our friendship, when John complained of severe pains in his back. I always take with me medicines that I may need and offered him some celebrix, to which he refused. A couple of days later, I was sitting in El Timon when John came in and said he had to ask for those pills.

They worked for a while. Neither of us at time knew that he was suffering from cancer of the prostate.

John was a good man and loved his new home of Nicaragua.

Yeh,,great story. We're all going to go someday, and cancer of the prostrate is not a pleasant way to exit.
    Gets in the bones. I hope to follow the Godfather,, running after Sebastian in the corn field.

They can put up a headstone,, "Here Lies . . . . " but I really don't need to molder.
    They can cut me into pieces and feed me to the pigs.

Think of the money I'll be saving in concentrado !! Something to look forward to.
    Don't know if that is legal here,, but no one would probably care.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 04-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    They can cut me into pieces and feed me to the pigs.
    Here lies KWP who made the life transition from farmer to fertilizer. Watch where you step . . .

Blog Entries

Ya know....this bacon is really good! May I have another?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

[QUOTE=kwah2249;151536]Here lies KWP who made the life transition from farmer to fertilizer. Watch where you step . . . [/QUOTE/]

Like those two cowboys riding along, Rusty and Snuffy, or maybe those were the horses names,, riding over the prairie shooting the breeze (what else is there to do)?

Anyway, Snuffy asks Rusty,, what exactly is this Reincarnation? Rusty says, well, it's like this: when you die we bury you under that tree. After a few years a daisy pops up over your grave. A horse wanders by, eats the daisy and a little further along takes a dump.

Rusty says, that's Reincarnation,, and truly Snuffy, you hadn't changed all that much.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 04-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.