Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting little things that happen here!

Default Interesting little things that happen here!

Today, while leaving La Colonia supermarket, my wife and I passed by an older Northamerican couple who were picking out a shopping cart to enter the store. I would guess they were in their late 70's to early 80's. As we walked by, the gentleman shouted out... Hey, you're a gringo, right!... I nearly laughed but held myself to a smile as I responded.. Yes , I am!.... I instantly liked the guy.
    Both he and his wife happy and energetic with an obvious sense of adventure (or they wouldn't be here). We talked a bit and I found out that they were from the Syracuse area of NY and the man was Syracuse basketball fan (as am I to some extent). They complimented me on my beautiful wife and asked what we were up to here....I explained a little and shortly thereafter we said our goodbyes.
    I regret not talking to them more and finding out what they were about here. If it was just for vacation or retirement. It bothered me a bit that they were out experiencing Granada alone and I feared they might get taken in by some of the many opportunists that prey on people such as them. But such is life and I wish them a good and happy experience here and hope that someone has their back!

Hope I see them again!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Default Re: Interesting little things that happen here!

We had a visit from a girlfriend of my wife tonight. When it was time to leave we locked the house and accompanied her to the corner to get a taxi. She lives out by the Japanese Hospital which is completely on the other side of town. The first few taxis agreed to take her but for 15 cords. She wanted to pay 10 so we waited. A few others came with the same offer and it was decided to walk a few blocks up to the Calzada and find a taxi there. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to walk several blocks to try and save 5 cords. Along the way, a few other taxis came by and offered to take her for 20 cords instead of the original 15. They (my wife and she) joked that the price was up because I was along (Gringo pricing)! Eventually, we got to the Calzada where she accepted a ride for 15 cords.
    I'm not sure if she accepted it because it was better than the 20 cord offers or because I had mentioned that it seemed silly to walk 4 blocks just trying to save 5 cords and thereby made her feel obligated to spend the 15 cords. Either way, I often find myself acting out the same scenerio here in Nicaragua in regard to paying for things. The difference of 1, 2 or 5 cords seems to take on more meaning that it should because I am left wondering if someone is trying to take advantage just because I am a gringo and they think I have money. It's never really about the money but about the principle and for that reason I sometimes find myself negotiating over a difference of 10 cents. Seems pretty silly when I take the time to think about it.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Hey, all those cords add up! Depending on where you buy your beer, anywhere from 12 to 20 make a whole Toña!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Hey, all those cords add up! Depending on where you buy your beer, anywhere from 12 to 20 make a whole Toña!!!
    If this were Facebook... I'd hit the "like" buttton!

Active TRN Member

when the average nica..is lucky to make 100 cords a day..5 cords is what % of there income..u cannt think like a gringo..u have to think like a nica..

Blog Entries

We usually pass up one gas station for another to save two cents a gallon. It's the principle of the thing.

It's the principle of the thing.
    Which begs the question, what are the principles of the average Nicaraguan?

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Which begs the question, what are the principles of the average Nicaraguan?
    Ýes please, somebody take on this philosophical question. ´Cuz some (make that many) nicaraguans have definitely made me wonder over the years here if they have any principles at all!
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    Ýes please, somebody take on this philosophical question. ´Cuz some (make that many) nicaraguans have definitely made me wonder over the years here if they have any principles at all!
    Remembering (interest)I=PRT (principle, rate, and time). Nicaragua is probably one of the only places where the interest is greater than the principle. Of course that principle is different that the other principal; therefore my interest fades..........

If you are talking about the principles of honesty, integrity, fidelity and hardwork.... as in the USA....I know those that have them and those that don't. I often hear older Nicas commenting that too many younger Nicas lack these qualities and it makes them sad because it is changing the culture that they themselves grew up with.
    Also.. although I am not excusing it.... poverty and hunger makes one relinguish their principles at a much faster rate. I know few people, including myself, who would rather starve to death than steal food. That being said, once your principles are eroded, for whatever reason, the spiral only seems to go downward!

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    We had a visit from a girlfriend of my wife tonight. When it was time to leave we locked the house and accompanied her to the corner to get a taxi. She lives out by the Japanese Hospital which is completely on the other side of town. The first few taxis agreed to take her but for 15 cords. She wanted to pay 10 so we waited. A few others came with the same offer and it was decided to walk a few blocks up to the Calzada and find a taxi there. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to walk several blocks to try and save 5 cords. Along the way, a few other taxis came by and offered to take her for 20 cords instead of the original 15. They (my wife and she) joked that the price was up because I was along (Gringo pricing)! Eventually, we got to the Calzada where she accepted a ride for 15 cords.
    I'm not sure if she accepted it because it was better than the 20 cord offers or because I had mentioned that it seemed silly to walk 4 blocks just trying to save 5 cords and thereby made her feel obligated to spend the 15 cords. Either way, I often find myself acting out the same scenerio here in Nicaragua in regard to paying for things. The difference of 1, 2 or 5 cords seems to take on more meaning that it should because I am left wondering if someone is trying to take advantage just because I am a gringo and they think I have money. It's never really about the money but about the principle and for that reason I sometimes find myself negotiating over a difference of 10 cents. Seems pretty silly when I take the time to think about it.
    When I take a taxi here in Granada, I make sure I always have change. When I get to my destination, I get out of the car, and hand the driver 10 cords. End of story.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by howard cox View Post
    When I take a taxi here in Granada, I make sure I always have change. When I get to my destination, I get out of the car, and hand the driver 10 cords. End of story.
    This is exactly what my wife said her girlfriend should have done!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this were Facebook... I'd hit the "like" buttton!
    Jack your posts are absolutely great I am glad you are having a great time in your life and telling others (Like Me) about your adventures and observations.

And I to am that way as the man in the grocery store was that asked if you were a Gringo, I have never in life met a stranger.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

A truck showed up on our street today and unload a pile of steel. An hour later this was constructed.

They built it under a street light to have enough light for night boxing. Too damn hot to box in the daytime.

I took a few pics and several videos. All the matches were young kids and their trainer is Henri Ruiz a former Pan American Champion who donates his time to work with young kids.

It was a fun night of boxing and entertainment for the neighborhood. Their were 9 bouts in all.

Active TRN Member

This is exactly what my wife said her girlfriend should have done!
    no the correct way..to get a cab..is know the price before u get in..becuse if u get in and dont know the price..the taxie driver can charge what he wants..and he can call the police..and they will probably back the taxie driver..unless u are putting ure hand in ure pocket to pay off the police

My mother in law came to visit us this morning in Granada and by luck, these guys were passing by and offering to play a little Christmas song while someone held the "baby Jesus" in his crib. My mother in law is very catholic and loved the opportunity to participate. It really made her very happy.

[YT]xbE1cwflB-E[/YT]

And on You Tube!!

Well, this happens everywhere but this poor fellow was coming toward us on his motorcycle and decided to move over to let a bus, that was behind him pass by. I saw his front wheel turn suddenly sideways as he hit the edge of the road and he went ass over tincups and was knocked out. It was pretty ugly to see. The bus stopped and about half the people got out to look and/or help. He worked for the electric company and a company truck came by shortly afterwards and the guys in the truck said it wasn't their problem and left. A policeman showed up a minute or two later and called for an ambulance. His arm was bent in a completely unnormal way and he was pretty disoriented. I am sure from seeing how he hit the ground and the way he so awkwardly rolled that he had several broken bones and possible internal injuries.

Just witnessed something ugly in front of the house here. The guy who sells eskimo from one those pedal powered insulated coolers ran over the foot of a little girl. Neither was really watching where they were going. The girl started crying hard as the man backed the tire off of her foot, on which she was wearing only flip flops which is the norm here.
    I offered the mother a bag of ice to put on the little girls foot but she said they didn't have time to stop walking and had to be somewhere. The ugly part came when the mother slapped the little girl because she wouldn't (or in my opinion couldn't) stop crying. It looked to me like the tire ripped the top layer of skin off a couple of her toes and it must have been quite painful. I've seen parents like that in the US too and don't care much for it there either.

Blog Entries

Ya know...just being alive does not give you the privilege to be a parent or to vote ....IMHO.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Ya know...just being alive does not give you the privilege to be a parent or to vote ....IMHO.
    In a lot of places you need not even be alive to vote these days
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Things that people call me...

Good things...

Yak....seems a lot of people can't pronounce the "J" as in english so the say "Yak" instead.
    Chele...more or less means "white or light haired". I have grey hair.
    Profesor.... I taught english here previously and some people remember that.. or other
    it's just a way of showing respect for my age.
    Maestro..... see above
    Amigo.... self-explanatory
    Don Jack or Don Yak..... respect
    Señor Jack or Señor Yak.... same as above
    Mr Jack or Mr Yak.... an attempt at english and respect
    Gringo... it's a good thing when they know me and/or repect me....and it's a fun thing
    when the little kids shout it at me..."hola gringoooooooooo"

Bad things.....

Gringo... when they don't respect me
    Pinche...(cheap) when I don't give them something they want
    Amigo.... when they just want something from me
    Various foul words.... when I get into it with someone who makes vulgar remarks to my
    wife on the street. (Most of them I don't understand anyway)

My favorite things that people call me here.....

Padrino.... godfather (I have several godchildren here..a consequence of being a gringo)
    Tio....have around 20 nieces and nephews
    Guapo...from the ladies in the streets (with bad eyesight apparently)

Well said, Yak!

Pinche...(cheap) when I don't give them something they want
    Amigo.... when they just want something from me
    VERY familiar with these!!!!

The wife went with her sister to visit her mother so that left my niece and I here in Granada. After my daily routine, I invited my niece to go do some shopping with me in the center of town. Now my niece will be turning 21 in Feb. but she looks about 15. Very tiny and very cute. So we get a lot of strange looks and sometimes some comments because people think we are a couple and that I am robbing the cradle big time. I often feel a bit embarrassed walking together in town.
    We decided to grab some pizza in Telepizza (I love their Hawaiian pizza) and while we were eating, there was a birthday party going on in the next room. The party people apparently had ordered a clown for entertaining the little ones at the party. The clown was on a break and passed by our table and looked at her and then at me and as if he were a mime, made a gesture with his two index fingers in the form of a heart shape while looking from me to her alternately. He thought we were a couple. I said to my niece.... did you see what he did? She said yes, but what can you expect..... he's a clown! Her dry sense of humor had me in stitches for several minutes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast