Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting little things that happen here!

Default Re: Interesting little things that happen here!

I was in bed by 9 last night (New Year's Eve). I was playing "cuidador" for the house. The wife and sister in law and niece all went to the MIL house for the big dinner and celebration. It's all too boring for me so I'd rather stay back and keep the house safe from los ladrones.
    Up this am at 6 (bit late for me) and took my walk. Lot's of people still celebrating in the restaurants and bars down by the lakefront. I always worry a bit when there are drunks around, especially the young bucks. The slight remnant of reasonable sense that they have sometimes disappears with the intoxication process and the chance that I will get confronted and possibly assaulted rises exponentially. But there were no takers this morning although I did witness an "antler-wrangling" between a couple of young men who were shouting at each other about how unafraid they were of anyone and/or anything. The security personnel at the bar stepped up enough that the boys lost interest in each other.
    When I reached home another macho rooster dance was going on right in front of my house. A group of young guys were passing thru the neighborhood on their way home and passed by the group of older drunks who are a fixture every day here in the barrio. Apparently, one of the older drunks said something to one of the young guys that disparaged his manhood and he took offense. The Cock-fight was on!!!!
    I have seen my share of bar fights and drunken street fights are no exception. There is a lot of yelling and posturing at first and then someone throws the first "punch". After that it's like blind men fighting in the dark and arms and legs and bodies are flailing about with their heads down trying to land some kind of blow to the other person usually by pure luck. While the fight was progressing, my next door neighbor (who was drunk and a major player in the confrontation) step into a hole in the street and fell awkwardly backward and down on his face! And although this was not a result of a blow by his opponent, it evoked the appearance suddenly of his wife who was smoking mad at seeing "her man" knocked to the ground. She headed right for the young man who her husband had been fighting with and landed a clear shot right to his left temple. He backed up immediately. They exchanged words and when he didn't exit the neighborhood as she had commanded she landed another blow to his right face and cheek with extreme speed and accuracy. This sent him backward about 3 paces but she was right on him and clocked him again. At this point he took flight.
    I watched the whole thing from my porch thinking that I might get involved if the young fellow rendered a blow to senora but my preoccupation was unnecessary. She handled herself quite well. I think he backed down more from shame than from the blows she landed but she had her way and peace was once more restored to the neighborhood.

Did I mention that may neighbor lady is cousin to my boxing coach, ex-panamerican champion Henri Ruiz? Seems the manzana doesn't fall far from the tree!!!!

Happy New Year!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Best story so far this year Jack!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Best story so far this year Jack!
    HA! "this year"!!!!! HA....I get it!!!!!!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yak I thoroughly enjoy your stories of true life
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

All's well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    All's well that ends well.
    Yep, it's true; but with all those roosters strutting their stuff, and bristling their feathers for a fight in ole Granada, me thinks that I want ole Howard and his 45 to accompany me in me daily walk.

Not sure if things have changed here in Granada or I am just more accustomed to the status quo but it seems there is less "macho" posturing going on as far as the chicos making vulgar advances toward my wife while we are walking in the streets of town. There have been a couple of very young guys on bicycles who have made comments while whizzing by, much too fast for me to grab them by the throat or even get in a good verbal response. The other night there was a short and sweet exception.
    As we were coming back from the eskimo store we passed by a pulperia on the corner where a couple of necios were hanging out. Most of the guys were facing the other direction from us but one guy was sitting on the step facing the street on which we were walking. My wife was located on my left closer to him than I was and he pursed his lips and made some kind of animal sound and then proceeded to say something barely audible to her nor to me. But I could tell by his "body language" and gestures that he was playing the "latino male jerkweed game" and I immediately stopped and allowed my wife to pass me by a few steps and headed toward him.
    His eyes got as big as saucers and his body tensed up as I purposely picked up the speed of my steps to appear more threatening and purposeful. I believe he almost peed himself in shock, not expecting any reaction at all from me. When I got right up to him I said, " who are you talking to"? His response was to stutter and then point nervously behind him at his friends while saying "them". I was about to ask him why he was looking at my wife and gesturing toward her if he was actually talking to his friends who were sitting in the opposite direction when I realized I had done enough. At that moment his friends began to laugh at him and ridicule him not only for what he had done but for also letting me make a fool of him.
    I was satisfied with him having been embarrassed in front of his friends and walked away while carefully listening for a parting shot from him which never came.

Of course, my wife chastised me for getting into it with him.. but I know she likes when I do. And from what I have learned about latin women, she also, in some ways, likes the attention that is given in the streets. Though she denies it completely. I have observed that for most women here, even though they walk by unresponsive with head and face straight ahead, there is something enjoyable or reasssuring to them that these men, even though at times vulgar, indicate that they find the women attractive and desireable. It's one of the dances of latin culture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Yep, it's true; but with all those roosters strutting their stuff, and bristling their feathers for a fight in ole Granada, me thinks that I want ole Howard and his 45 to accompany me in me daily walk.
    I'm not worried about barroom/street brawls, since I don't go around picking fights and these things tend to happen among people who already know and hate each other. It's for the people you don't know and never see that you want Howard's .45.

But a can of wasp spray would have made Yak's street fight way more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    Not sure if things have changed here in Granada or I am just more accustomed to the status quo but it seems there is less "macho" posturing going on as far as the chicos making vulgar advances toward my wife while we are walking in the streets of town. There have been a couple of very young guys on bicycles who have made comments while whizzing by, much too fast for me to grab them by the throat or even get in a good verbal response. The other night there was a short and sweet exception.
    As we were coming back from the eskimo store we passed by a pulperia on the corner where a couple of necios were hanging out. Most of the guys were facing the other direction from us but one guy was sitting on the step facing the street on which we were walking. My wife was located on my left closer to him than I was and he pursed his lips and made some kind of animal sound and then proceeded to say something barely audible to her nor to me. But I could tell by his "body language" and gestures that he was playing the "latino male jerkweed game" and I immediately stopped and allowed my wife to pass me by a few steps and headed toward him.
    His eyes got as big as saucers and his body tensed up as I purposely picked up the speed of my steps to appear more threatening and purposeful. I believe he almost peed himself in shock, not expecting any reaction at all from me. When I got right up to him I said, " who are you talking to"? His response was to stutter and then point nervously behind him at his friends while saying "them". I was about to ask him why he was looking at my wife and gesturing toward her if he was actually talking to his friends who were sitting in the opposite direction when I realized I had done enough. At that moment his friends began to laugh at him and ridicule him not only for what he had done but for also letting me make a fool of him.
    I was satisfied with him having been embarrassed in front of his friends and walked away while carefully listening for a parting shot from him which never came.

Of course, my wife chastised me for getting into it with him.. but I know she likes when I do. And from what I have learned about latin women, she also, in some ways, likes the attention that is given in the streets. Though she denies it completely. I have observed that for most women here, even though they walk by unresponsive with head and face straight ahead, there is something enjoyable or reasssuring to them that these men, even though at times vulgar, indicate that they find the women attractive and desireable. It's one of the dances of latin culture.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. This has happened to us many times. As a 72 yr. old gringo with a lovely 27 yr. old Nica wife, it comes with the territory. My response to hearing " what"s a pretty girl like you doing with your grandfather?", is to get directly in their faces. Of course, they fold immeadiately, looking at their shoes and mumbling. One time, after hearing these words, and before I could reply, Jesse took my hand and put it on her butt as we walked past. Their was complete silence from these knuckleheads.

As I have mentioned before, I walk for an hour each day here in Granada. Down the Calzada to the malecon and out to the beach area as far as the road that turns right to go to where the marina and the lanchas are and then back again. I usually leave the house around 5:30am when the sun is just about to come up. On the weekends, and particularily on Sundays, I delay my departure time a bit (until 6) to allow the sun more time to light my path and to give more time to the party-ers (especially the drunks) to have left the bars and discos and head for home. There are generally many more drunks still in the bars on sunday morning than any other morning of the week and it is much more likely I will get some unwanted attention from them and/or their women on that morning. So 6am is a better time for me to start out.

So this morning was no exception and all went well in my walk until my return trip when I reached the malecon again at the corner of the Calle Calzada. There is a bar on that corner (the name escapes me at the moment) and outside the bar was a commotion that I had to walk past to get home. Some drunken a-hole had a women in a headlock and was punching her in the face! He had her neck firmly in the grasp of his left arm and had a beer bottle in that hand as well, while he punched her with his right fist. He did this several times while trying to force her into a taxi. He also grabbed her by the throat and hair at times while pushing her into the rear seat. She also had a beer bottle in her right hand.

At first, I thought he was forcing her to go with him against her will. I asked a guy on the porch of the bar, "Isn't anyone going to do anything?" as there were several people watching and one guy in particular trying to talk some sense into the abusive man. The man on the porch said to me "they are a couple" and shrugged his shoulders. I said to him.."I am going to do something" and I started toward the couple. I took a good look at the situation as I approached and noted where each of the couple had their beer bottles to decide from which direction to make my approach and how I would handle the man if he attempted swing his bottle at my head. I got within a couple of feet and the man who was hitting the women began to stare at me with angry intent. I realized at that point that I was already into it up to my butt. Just as I decided I would have to "bullrush" the guy to put him on his ass and free the woman up (he still had her in a headlock and was still punching her) ... the guy who was trying to talk him out of what he was doing approached me and dragged me backward a few feet and began to explain to me that I was making a "big" mistake to interfere.

He told that they were a couple and that they were fighting because of another women still inside the bar and that the woman that was being punched was jealous of the other woman and wanted to kill her. He explained that the woman being punched was a mother and that if her partner did not get her into the cab and away from the bar, she would end up badly hurting or possibly killing the other woman and she would end up in jail and no longer able to care for her child. I said to him that it still wasn't right to hit a woman and the man should be stopped and he said, no it isn't right but the woman wants to be hit or else she would get in the cab and leave. A kind of crazy logic but I gave it some thought and I looked the situation over again. I realized whether or not she "wanted" to be hit, the woman was refusing to leave and all she had to do was leave to avoid the abuse.

She wasn't willing or interested in helping herself and so I decided it was in my best interest not to help her either. I started hearing my BIL's voice in my head (he is a cop in Pennsylvania) telling me various stories of his experiences with couples of "domestic" violence where when the cops intervened and helped the woman by grabbing the man, the woman proceeded to punch, kick and even bite the cop who was helping her, to "defend and protect" her man!!!! I left the scene, looked back a few times, felt a bit helpless and small but knew I had made the right decision. I looked for a cop during the rest of my walk but there was none to be found.

When I reached home, I was a bit shook up from it all and relayed what happened to my wife and my MIL who has been staying with us. My MIL immediately told me to never intervene with a couple in that situation. She said that if the woman didn't want to be punched she could have told her man, NO and stopped the abuse. That it was for sure, not the first time they had fought like that and wouldn't be the last. That, of course, it's not right but it's between the people involved and to interfere was to to invite more problems. She told me that she herself had been abused in her younger days and that it was she who decided when it should stop and the woman at the malecon bar had the same capacity to stop the violence against her.

I respect my MIL greatly especially in her understanding of Nica culture and I accept what she had to say but I still feel conflicted inside for the teachings of my own parents about violence in particular the constant admonishment of my father during my youth about respecting women and defending them against the violence of others. But I know that I did the right thing. Both in wanting to help and in deciding not to. It was a no win situation ... but it was a good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    As I have mentioned before, I walk for an hour each day here in Granada. Down the Calzada to the malecon and out to the beach area as far as the road that turns right to go to where the marina and the lanchas are and then back again. I usually leave the house around 5:30am when the sun is just about to come up. On the weekends, and particularily on Sundays, I delay my departure time a bit (until 6) to allow the sun more time to light my path and to give more time to the party-ers (especially the drunks) to have left the bars and discos and head for home. There are generally many more drunks still in the bars on sunday morning than any other morning of the week and it is much more likely I will get some unwanted attention from them and/or their women on that morning. So 6am is a better time for me to start out.

So this morning was no exception and all went well in my walk until my return trip when I reached the malecon again at the corner of the Calle Calzada. There is a bar on that corner (the name escapes me at the moment) and outside the bar was a commotion that I had to walk past to get home. Some drunken a-hole had a women in a headlock and was punching her in the face! He had her neck firmly in the grasp of his left arm and had a beer bottle in that hand as well, while he punched her with his right fist. He did this several times while trying to force her into a taxi. He also grabbed her by the throat and hair at times while pushing her into the rear seat. She also had a beer bottle in her right hand.

At first, I thought he was forcing her to go with him against her will. I asked a guy on the porch of the bar, "Isn't anyone going to do anything?" as there were several people watching and one guy in particular trying to talk some sense into the abusive man. The man on the porch said to me "they are a couple" and shrugged his shoulders. I said to him.."I am going to do something" and I started toward the couple. I took a good look at the situation as I approached and noted where each of the couple had their beer bottles to decide from which direction to make my approach and how I would handle the man if he attempted swing his bottle at my head. I got within a couple of feet and the man who was hitting the women began to stare at me with angry intent. I realized at that point that I was already into it up to my butt. Just as I decided I would have to "bullrush" the guy to put him on his ass and free the woman up (he still had her in a headlock and was still punching her) ... the guy who was trying to talk him out of what he was doing approached me and dragged me backward a few feet and began to explain to me that I was making a "big" mistake to interfere.

He told that they were a couple and that they were fighting because of another women still inside the bar and that the woman that was being punched was jealous of the other woman and wanted to kill her. He explained that the woman being punched was a mother and that if her partner did not get her into the cab and away from the bar, she would end up badly hurting or possibly killing the other woman and she would end up in jail and no longer able to care for her child. I said to him that it still wasn't right to hit a woman and the man should be stopped and he said, no it isn't right but the woman wants to be hit or else she would get in the cab and leave. A kind of crazy logic but I gave it some thought and I looked the situation over again. I realized whether or not she "wanted" to be hit, the woman was refusing to leave and all she had to do was leave to avoid the abuse.

She wasn't willing or interested in helping herself and so I decided it was in my best interest not to help her either. I started hearing my BIL's voice in my head (he is a cop in Pennsylvania) telling me various stories of his experiences with couples of "domestic" violence where when the cops intervened and helped the woman by grabbing the man, the woman proceeded to punch, kick and even bite the cop who was helping her, to "defend and protect" her man!!!! I left the scene, looked back a few times, felt a bit helpless and small but knew I had made the right decision. I looked for a cop during the rest of my walk but there was none to be found.

When I reached home, I was a bit shook up from it all and relayed what happened to my wife and my MIL who has been staying with us. My MIL immediately told me to never intervene with a couple in that situation. She said that if the woman didn't want to be punched she could have told her man, NO and stopped the abuse. That it was for sure, not the first time they had fought like that and wouldn't be the last. That, of course, it's not right but it's between the people involved and to interfere was to to invite more problems. She told me that she herself had been abused in her younger days and that it was she who decided when it should stop and the woman at the malecon bar had the same capacity to stop the violence against her.

I respect my MIL greatly especially in her understanding of Nica culture and I accept what she had to say but I still feel conflicted inside for the teachings of my own parents about violence in particular the constant admonishment of my father during my youth about respecting women and defending them against the violence of others. But I know that I did the right thing. Both in wanting to help and in deciding not to. It was a no win situation ... but it was a good choice!
    Strange, i can't understand any logic behind it, still trying to see it another way but can't

Just home from VNam and saw a similar thing. When I intervened, the woman turned on me as well. Now an old man, if anything, I will hand them each a club and hope that the breed will self destruct.

Blog Entries

A little older and wiser, eh?

A little older and wiser, eh?
    "a little older" .....no doubt!

"a little wiser"......maybe not!

The way I figured it.... if I'd have taken him out (him being drunk and all) she would have re-entered the bar and either killed or badly hurt the other woman.... and all witnesses would have said it was my fault!

That being said... if I saw something like that again... and it was just some guy (not a husband or boyfriend) clubbing a woman and she was trying to get away and couldn't... I wouldn't hesitate to step in. Might not be the wisest thing to do... but I know who I am and how I react. That reminds me of something.....

I remember when I was around 6 years old and joined my first organized baseball team and was learning how to play. I was at shortstop and there was a kid on first, and second with no outs and a grounder was hit to me. Everyone started yelling for me to do this or to do that and in all the confusion and being very new to the game... I ended up throwing the ball into the outfield. Que verguenza!!!!
    But rather than yell at me, the coach told me.... "before each pitch, look around and see what the situation is. How many guys on base, how many outs and then think what would you do if the ball were hit to you and what you would do if it were hit elsewhere... that way you won't have to decide at the moment it happens."
    I never forgot that advice some 50 years later because it applies in all aspects of life as well. So boys, I got me some thinking to do!

Blog Entries

So where are you and what you gonna do?

Being raised among 8 other children of which 5 were my older brothers, fighting came easy as well as winning was a must.

Now ya must study the dog before ya put him into a confrontation of which there is no return, and this is something that one must not do, for the investment is far to great, be it men or dog, to sacrifice oneself in a foolish bit of combat.

There is another day in which the sun favors, but never does it favor a fight with a female, lest one is ready to deal the cards evenly and deck a woman. I learned years ago that age and gender were not relevant in a fight.

Studying the animal world, to which we are a part, the most vicious of most animals species are the females, and this includes the human species. If you don't believe this, just ask the bailiff, because the judge will lie to you.

Honor, courage, and valor have been the death to more men (males) probably than anything else in this world.

When a female is involved; run! She is far more vicious, more intelligent, and cunning than you; an honorable man no doubt, but this is part of the game.

Remember the praying mantis; the infamous reproductive process in many praying mantis species, as noted, is marked by a post-sexual cannibalism of the male by the hungry female, and is an ongoing subject of research and legend. Seems that the boy cannot get off until he is headless?

Does this sound remarkably familiar?

So where are you and what you gonna do?
    Still at short and just hoping they don't hit me the ball!

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Just home from VNam and saw a similar thing. When I intervened, the woman turned on me as well. Now an old man, if anything, I will hand them each a club and hope that the breed will self destruct.
    DSB I think that is the best medicine...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Being raised among 8 other children of which 5 were my older brothers, fighting came easy as well as winning was a must.

Now ya must study the dog before ya put him into a confrontation of which there is no return, and this is something that one must not do, for the investment is far to great, be it men or dog, to sacrifice oneself in a foolish bit of combat.

There is another day in which the sun favors, but never does it favor a fight with a female, lest one is ready to deal the cards evenly and deck a woman. I learned years ago that age and gender were not relevant in a fight.

Studying the animal world, to which we are a part, the most vicious of most animals species are the females, and this includes the human species. If you don't believe this, just ask the bailiff, because the judge will lie to you.

Honor, courage, and valor have been the death to more men (males) probably than anything else in this world.

When a female is involved; run! She is far more vicious, more intelligent, and cunning than you; an honorable man no doubt, but this is part of the game.

Remember the praying mantis; the infamous reproductive process in many praying mantis species, as noted, is marked by a post-sexual cannibalism of the male by the hungry female, and is an ongoing subject of research and legend. Seems that the boy cannot get off until he is headless?

Does this sound remarkably familiar?
    If it is a woman instead of a praying mantis, the cannabilism is the divorce settlement.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Wow, this has been entertaining! Thanks for the morning's chuckles!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Entertaining indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by howard cox View Post
    As a 72 yr. old gringo with a lovely 27 yr. old Nica wife, it comes with the territory. My response to hearing " what"s a pretty girl like you doing with your grandfather?", is to get directly in their faces. Of course, they fold immeadiately, looking at their shoes and mumbling. One time, after hearing these words, and before I could reply, Jesse took my hand and put it on her butt as we walked past. Their was complete silence from these knuckleheads.
    Wow! Power to ya señor (or is it senior? same pronunciation) Cox! Better living & loving through Chemistry! Those golden years, indeed! I especially enjoy the numerical mirror image symmetry 72-27.

You have given us proof positive that the troll MujerMagnetica no longer haunts TRN. Nor any other femi-Nazis . . . Liberty reigns!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Entertaining indeed!

Wow! Power to ya señor (or is it senior? same pronunciation) Cox! Better living & loving through Chemistry! Those golden years, indeed! I especially enjoy the numerical mirror image symmetry 72-27.

You have given us proof positive that the troll MujerMagnetica no longer haunts TRN. Nor any other femi-Nazis . . . Liberty reigns!
    It mat be that numerolgy is destiny. I was born in 1938 and Jesse was born in 1983. I am 72 and she is 27. Then again, when I met her- she was the oldest of 6 children, and had been the matriach of the family since she was 10- I was 65 going on 30 and she was 20 going on 40. Of course, numbers, including age, may mean nothing. This coming April we will celebrate our seventh anniversary, and it has been the best 7 yrs. of my life.

Blog Entries

and more good luck to you and your wife HC, I am happy for you.

[YT]FLHftISLNHE[/YT]

What does this have to do with Nicaragua? Well, at this moment there are about 9000 kids outside my house with these things and I am losing my religion.

If I had my old double barrel.... I would be loading it with rocksalt about now!

I prepared myself mentally to come back to Nicaragua by thinking of all the things that annoy me here like VERY LOAD MUSIC from 3 or 4 different sets of oversized speakers... like guys in trucks driving around announcing everything from deaths to sales with speakers the size of Texas....like people cutting in line...like overheated, overpacked buses that keep stopping to pick up more people.....like middle of the night bombas and musical processions....

And I have done well with all these things but I wasn't prepared for CLACKERS....and especially not on this scale.....don't parents here ever chastise their offspring??????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast