Thread: Viva la diferencia!

Blog Entries

Default Viva la diferencia!

JackMcG wrote of their on-going troubles replacing his wife's Nica ID to renew her passport in the thread, "We are here!" - Good luck, Jack! Marnica summed it up nicely,
    No line, no phone, no computers, no receipt and very little hope of ever changing.
    It seems to me it's the same 'coin' that attracts us to Nicaragua, which, in many respects is to say, Latin America in general. It's the 'mañana' culture that renders government bureaucracy so blessedly inefficient. They're simply not 'up-tight' anything, it seems. Life - God provides. Death - part of life. What's so truly urgent anyway? You have entered the procrastinators' paradise.

It's the superposition of the time = money, neurotic, "information-controlled", job = family mentality of northern societies that we've escaped that cause us to expect 'timely' results. White rabbits from Wonderland, all, or, if you'd rather, white lab rats escaped from mazes of productivity. (Which is not to say that many there are not 'content' in their 'cubicles of security', making the top 1%, who owe allegiance to no one, richer. 'Happiness' there apparently is achieved with exotic drugs.) Some refer to this cultural difference in the abstract, as 'modernity' or, it's flip side: 'underdevelopment'.

Clearly, "progress" is not Nicaragua's most important product. As much as we may praise the new highways, it's not evident to me that the 95% of Nicas who don't own cars do too.

Doming00 on the thread, "What To Do In Leon?" wrote,
    The beaches of Poneloya and Las Penitas are much easier to get to since they have completely redone the highway. Before it would take an hour, now u can get to both beaches in about 20 minutes
    Coming back from the beach Sunday, as impressed as I was with the new highway (No potholes ... yet!), it took us much longer to drive the 22 km back into León. With the yellow lines down the middle, and the solid white lines separating lanes from shoulders (Real 'emergency' shoulders on this road, blessed be El Reto Milenia!), there are reflectors, every meter (yard or vara?), along the entire length of all lines. It was, Wow, hypnotically dazzling under my brights. Yellow reflectors on the white shoulder lines were as I expected, but the frequent string of glowing red beads where double-yellow divided the highway reinforced no-passing with an understood "no invasion" penal threat. Yet all those visual aids don't serve most of its traffic. As I first picked up speed, deluded by its apparent 'modernity', with thoughts of the gorgeous, twilight display over the ocean, a horse stood before me, just stood there, in the middle of the road. (Praise God it was white like Simon Bolivar's.) Cattle must find the asphalt a safe resting spot for the night away from pests in the bushes. Most, not all, bicyclists ride on the equally good shoulder, but few wear white. None have lights. Pedestrians are abundant in the cool of early night. One crowd, an apparent semi-community gathering, overflowed the shoulder, occupying half of my lane. (Dark colored clothes must be the fashion en el campo.) As squatters build by the highway, speed-bumps (infamous topes o tumulos) will inevitably appear. It's a 'natural' progression. Certain customs don't change with the superposition of the 'modern'.

Default Re: Viva la diferencia!

This reminds of a story I heard from a man about my father's age who was speaking about an incident that happened in the Amish farm country of Pennsylvania during WWII. Seems the non-amish community was up in arms about a particular amish farmer who was refusing to use a tractor to farm his land. The people felt that by doing the work with horses, he was being slow and inefficient in growing his crops and therefore hurting the "war-cause" since there was such a high demand for food for the troops. A cry went out to have him arrested and have his land confiscated and farmed "properly". When they did an investigation, it turned out that not only was he producing more per acre than tractor farms but was doing it without using gasoline and was raising his own feed for his horses and providing his own fertilizer.

Moral of the story..... One man's progress is another man's horseshit!!!!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"