Thread: Adrian Tei

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Adrian Tei

My first stepfather in law.

He played with the best of them, Adrian Tei (pronounced TAY) of Valley Stream Long Island New York and became my first wife’s stepfather when she was young. A Catholic Italian by decent and taught music to those very rich folks children in the 5 towns of Long Island where only the very elite of Wall Street lived when he went into retirement to his home when I knew him.

With Tommy Dorsey, Louie Seville and Benny Goodman he did personally know and play a saxophone, or a clarinet for them in the “Big Band” era of his times in the woodwind sections of the bands. Damn, he was good with them, and even played in Carnegie Hall, not once but many times. I did have the pleasure of hearing him and some of his buddies of the era play New Orleans “Dixie Land Music” for ‘em rich folks on a “Gigg” from a platform in their community parks with about 8 of his buddies many times. They as well as I did enjoyed the hell out of it. There is nothing like live music to stir the soul, and I do love Dixie Land Music because of my heritage, and Southern Rock like Charlie Daniels and Bo seafus (Hank Williams jr.) plays. Lord have mercy and bless my soul, ’em boy’s were good at it, they could play anything.

I was screwing around a bit in those day’s with a 12 string acoustic guitar, and learning to read sheet music a bit and put the damn thing in proper tune. While I was doing yard work for ‘em rich folks with another Italian named David Whatshis Face. Collecting my unemployment benefits from the fishing boat proceeds of the past, and working for David during the spring, summer, and fall for cash money like a wetback Mexican. To Adrian’s home one time, me struggling thru a John Denver song in his living room, he came up from his basement studio where he taught his students to get a cup of coffee and heard me starting and stopping with my guitar. And said, let me see that sheet you have. He walked over to my mother in laws Steinway Baby Grand Piano with real strings and a sound board, kept in tune; not knowing the song, and opening the keyboard and spreading the music sheets in front of him and started to play.

And in his deep bass voice started to sing and I could not help but join in because of my Irish nature of a man or woman singing when they are happy, as he made that piano, as the hammers started to fall on the strings, as he hit the ivories working the foot pedals, come to life, under his years of experienced hands. He needed not that little gizmo to keep time with it, it was on the paper and coming out in his mind.

You fill up my senses like a night in a forest. Like the mountains in Spring time, like a walk in the Rain, like a storm in the desert, like the sleepy Blue Ocean. You fill up my senses, come love me again……

We went thru the whole song together, he singing bass and I singing a tenor and harmonizing with him like a barber shop quartet. He playing it perfectly on the Baby Grand from the sheet music, lavishing it a bit to fill in, with his mind attached to his talented hands making that piano almost a living breathing thing, vibrant and full of life. Not knowing how it went before hand. And when we finished he looked over at me making eye contact with a wink, and saying, don’t shoot me, I am just the piano player, and he did laugh knowing a bit of Elton John‘s works and had personally met him too as well as John Lennon there in New York.

He was a professional musician and played five different instruments well, including the flute and the picklaoe and taught the younger ones in his home studio the basics of his profession. The hallway to it was filled with pictures of the past. And to hear him play “Yackity Sax’ on his Saxophone which he considered to be “HIS” instrument, was truly a foot stomping, toe tamping pleasure. And unless you have witnessed it close up not 10 feet from a man playing it flawlessly, and really getting into it in the close confines of his living room with family. And with the supporting strap around his neck and his partially stooping frame with a bit of age due to years of having it around his neck on the road, but young enough yet to put enthusiasm into it. That had played professionally with the Big Bands of his day with his fingers dancing over the air valves of it and his strong lungs blowing across the reed valve to it; you have not truly lived. He lived to a ripe old age.

He was first married to a Broadway Showgirl who died later in their life and had no children before meeting my mother in law who also taught piano and did a bit of work as a secretary for a high level executive in the City of New York for a known Airline.

Adrian Tei, I salute you, one of the most musically talented men to ever walk this earth that I ever knew in life.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Re: Adrian Tei

Adrian Tei was my first piano and saxophone teacher. He was an outstanding musician, teacher and friend. His influence can still be heard over 20 years later in my music and I am a better person for having known him. May God Bless you always Mr. Tei.

Blog Entries

Jimmyt, that is great, it really is...

And thanks for posting here you are alway's welcome BTW because of this....

Ya see I often post a bunch of Blarney on here and at one time my friends started calling me Lyin' Farmer John Wayne because of it.

NOW, this really has 'em guessing if I am honest with them... or not...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Small world, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

My be goodness John Wayne; that was good and entertaining!

From my first sighting of you at the airport in PC, your speach, mannerisms and experiences have
    continued to amaze me, but don't go and git a big head; I'm simple and easily amazed.

Adrian Tei was my first piano teacher in Valley Stream, Long Island. I remember his basement where he gave lessons, with all the great photos of his "big band" days. I remember him commenting that Frank Sinatra couldn't read "a lick" of music... Too funny.

I agree that he was one of the most talented musicians I have ever met... Many times he would pick up a sax or clarinet to pay along with me. My brother took sax lessons from him.

An amazing life story, but very humble and down to earth. Just a cool guy. I still have alot of the sheet music and arrangements that he made up. He had very distinct handwriting, and was always very direct with music.

Very cool to see this post about him. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Some beautiful memories here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Some beautiful memories here!

Wow.... Yes...