Thread: Oh that was painful - Skype and the mysterious laptop microphone enable check box..

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Oh that was painful - Skype and the mysterious laptop microphone enable check box..

So...

BIL David dropped of laptop to Marta (SIL) and Katarin (Niece) on his trip before X-mass...

Also snagged (I guess) the same deal as Yak for a $40 Claro i-net Dongle / Stick / Jingle ..

Well the Prepay ran out and Chilo wanted to say "Hi" so I ( mistakenly ) thought we will just top up the prepay and get them to D/L skype..

Prepay.. Well it took a $5 phone card to talk to them to get the SIM card phone number to top it up.. (No such thing as a short call ya know)

The connection seemed to drop all the time so I had to get a 2nd calling card (one without a connection charge) to finish the connection discussion.

Then $5 to get the "i-net" topped up which worked (ezetop again)

Then we spent over 2 hours trying to get them to get their mic turned on..

They can see us - We can see them.. They can here us.. We can not hear them..

There mic is turned off..

Is there anyone reputable that any one knows in the Masaya area that can enable a mic for a reasonable charge?

It was quite humerous though.. Chilo translating what Andrea was trying to say , screen shots over facebook and one laptop camera held up to a screen of another computer trying to show how to "select" the microphone..

So close but yet so far
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: Oh that was painful - Skype and the mysterious laptop microphone enable check box

Was wondering why you had those posts on FB....Good luck With It..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oh that was painful - Skype and the mysterious laptop microphone enable check box

Great material for a modern comedy show!

Blog Entries

Comedy? I must have missed the funny part.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So...

BIL David dropped of laptop to Marta (SIL) and Katarin (Niece) on his trip before X-mass...

Also snagged (I guess) the same deal as Yak for a $40 Claro i-net Dongle / Stick / Jingle ..

Well the Prepay ran out and Chilo wanted to say "Hi" so I ( mistakenly ) thought we will just top up the prepay and get them to D/L skype..

Prepay.. Well it took a $5 phone card to talk to them to get the SIM card phone number to top it up.. (No such thing as a short call ya know)

The connection seemed to drop all the time so I had to get a 2nd calling card (one without a connection charge) to finish the connection discussion.

Then $5 to get the "i-net" topped up which worked (ezetop again)

Then we spent over 2 hours trying to get them to get their mic turned on..

They can see us - We can see them.. They can here us.. We can not hear them..

There mic is turned off..

Is there anyone reputable that any one knows in the Masaya area that can enable a mic for a reasonable charge?

It was quite humerous though.. Chilo translating what Andrea was trying to say , screen shots over facebook and one laptop camera held up to a screen of another computer trying to show how to "select" the microphone..

So close but yet so far
    I have all this to look forward to after we leave and leave behind the laptop and magicjack! Thanks for the preview!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Oh my... It gets better

SIL Nella, that lives 4 blocks from us, has decided to put Skype on her PC to talk to SIL Marta...

Nella can see us... Nella can see herself and can see us... But we can not see Nella..

She is convinced that our PC is broken

I tried to explain that she has to set via "Tools" "options" "settings" to give the camera permission to use Skype..

OK that worked as just before I typed the last 2 words of the last sentence I was called upstairs again.. There is Nella on the screen but the sound has now disappeared.. I am pretty sure she turned down her mic somehow..

They are working though her mic settings now...

Yak.. are you ever "in for a penny.. in for a pound "

Best of luck Wish me luck ..

This is easy, and you should know how to do this... you should set the computer to be a remote user and you can fix all the problems.

Oh my... It gets better

SIL Nella, that lives 4 blocks from us, has decided to put Skype on her PC to talk to SIL Marta...

Nella can see us... Nella can see herself and can see us... But we can not see Nella..

She is convinced that our PC is broken

I tried to explain that she has to set via "Tools" "options" "settings" to give the camera permission to use Skype..

OK that worked as just before I typed the last 2 words of the last sentence I was called upstairs again.. There is Nella on the screen but the sound has now disappeared.. I am pretty sure she turned down her mic somehow..

Yak.. are you ever "in for a penny.. in for a pound "

Best of luck Wish me luck ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    This is easy, and you should know how to do this... you should set the computer to be a remote user and you can fix all the problems.
    Oh I have done that... I have built 6 computers for the family and rebuilt countless others.. And locked them all up as limited users with VNC and virus software and the whole 9 yards..

It all ends (redoubtably) with a demand for the administrator password within 6 months so the can do what they want...

I capitulate on the condition that they do not call me back for support questions..

Works for them and very much works for me..

It has been some time since I spent a week untangling 14,000 + mal and spy ware apps from PCs

For Marta's computer in Nica now I think it would work well.. But I was never asked..

Blog Entries

Just like Ma Bell.. It was a bad connection... Hang up and re-call everything was fine...

Daughter did well on that one..

Blog Entries

Just like Ma Bell.. It was a bad connection... Hang up and re-call everything was fine...
    The original "reboot."