Thread: Another Day Another Dog

Blog Entries

Default Another Day Another Dog

Got a new puppy a week or so ago, he is fitting in well. My dog army is now up to 3.S5032475.jpg

S5032471.jpg
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Another Day Another Dog

Go, Army!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let me tell you something a pack of dogs 3 to 6 or more is a hell of a thing, tell me I won't run and climb the nearest tree?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Let me tell you something a pack of dogs 3 to 6 or more is a hell of a thing, tell me I won't run and climb the nearest tree?
    HA... yeah... but those 3 look like the worst they would do is lick you to death!

Nice brood Kevin. They look like good company!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Too cute!! With the exception of Max and Amos, all island dogs kind of look the same. Did you actually get it yourself or was it dropped off? Does he share the box with Mr. Box?
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

"Any dog that doesn't chase thieves spends the night in the box."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Too cute!! With the exception of Max and Amos, all island dogs kind of look the same. Did you actually get it yourself or was it dropped off? Does he share the box with Mr. Box?
    Max and Amos are referred to as "off dogs" (dogs fom off), Mr Box is a "common dog", the puppy is supposed to be a "long Dog" (weenie dog or some sort).

Some friends had the puppy's mother and asked if I wanted one. He is still spending nights in the house with me, maybe another week I will move him into a Mr Box condo on the porch.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Don't know how you can NOT have your dogs close by, Kev. I find I need to reach down and pet a furry pup, just to know he's by my side, waiting for my command...whenever I want.

With our Catahoulas, only 5 now and Roger won't let me have any more , we leave the back door and windows open at night. The yard is fenced with woven wire and good luck to anyone dumb enough to jump over it!

The neighbors and the workers from La Paz are familiar with our dogs as, apparently, the road out front is our dog's territory as well! A pack of 5 dogs running full throttle at the fence, baying as if they had something treed...well, it's not something most folks around here are used to.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Active TRN Member

There aren't many "trespassers" by The Sally Peachy house on Corn Island anymore.

Amazing how an animal intuitively/instictually knows...
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

It really is amazing at how a Dog "knows". As Max grew the neighbors were horrified, especially those with children, what horrified them was that I had/have no plans to tether him. Max will play with children all day long and then eat Rockmen all night, he knows.

Mr Box, in a few more months he will probably spend his days tethered and his nights free. He is going to be a mannish dog, he is rude and direspectful (especially towards my garden, he is learning though), Everything Max is Mr Box isn't, Max is happiest with his head in my lap or laying under me when I am in the hammock so that with each rock he gets a pet, Mr Box could care less about human contact (and is liking it less everyday due to his infractions against the garden).

Who knows about this Long Dog, his name is Smokey, he just came in the house and barked at my foot, then laid down on a rug, maybe he's just plain crazy.

I think I will temporarily halt dog recruitment unless I find a diamond in the rough.

Growing my own food has been a big concern and harder than I anticipated. I now have to start thinking on how to produce food for my dogs. Dog food is 16 cords a # (around 75 cents), cheaper to buy in MGA, but with shipping and such not much cheaper. The dogs are eating at least 4# a day now. I see that going to 6# in the near future. I would love to get one more big dog like Max, but I just cannot afford the cost. I currently spend more on dog food than my own food.

The costs are a small price. I can sleep with no worries. I can now tell when Max is on someone, sometimes I will get up and investigate, usually I just get up in the Morning and check out the crime scene, often times a shoe, maybe a piece of clothing, once in a while a machete, but most always the plantain they came for.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Dog food is 16 cords a # (around 75 cents),
    OUCH! We buy 50lb bags, 3 every 2 weeks, so that comes out to 8 cords per lb. I guess everything's more expensive on the island, huh?
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Ouch is right.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Smokey's sister came to visit, no, no, no I am not keeping her. They played all day yesterday and half the night, now they finally decided to sleep.S5032518.jpg
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Decided to follow the little dogs' lead and catch a nap. They had me up half the night, true brother and sister, they fought and raised cane half the night. No one has come to get the little puppy, fear that I may have been fooled yet again (silly gringo), dog army may now number 4. I am starting to feel like one of these old women you read about that has 100 cats.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Next we'll be seeing you one one of those "animal horder" shows. The problem with having two dogs from the same litter is they bond to each other and not so much to you. They tend to only do what they want and kind of ignore you as the alpha. I've seen it happen many times. It's not too late. Maybe they'll come back.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Decided to follow the little dogs' lead and catch a nap. They had me up half the night, true brother and sister, they fought and raised cane half the night. No one has come to get the little puppy, fear that I may have been fooled yet again (silly gringo), dog army may now number 4. I am starting to feel like one of these old women you read about that has 100 cats.
    I remember the day in which the only cats in SJDS were Chris Berry's. They multiplied and were evident on every roof top for miles around.

Blog Entries

I can't see keeping the girl dog. Glad to have her for a week or 2 to play with her Bro, he is really too small to be playing with Max or Mr Box. Momma dogs here are usually in poor shape, so the puppies are small and then get fed little, I will fatten her up and medicate her, she will be easy to find a home for. She is a pretty little dog.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

She's a lucky dog. In island dog terms, she just won the puppy lottery. I hope the vet comes to Big Corn this year. I've been donating on the site Marlies put on the home page but I guess that doesn't mean they'll acutally come. It would be great for the island. I went to Placencia in Belize a couple of years ago, a place that I went to for about 15 years before that. They had a vet program coming in yearly and the difference for the animals was shocking. They had flea collars and really looked healthly, a marked difference to what they used to be like. If only they could do that for the island. I always end up feeding dogs when I'm there. Last time I took a bunch of Advantage flea protection and handed it out. I'm a sucker for a dog.

They are pretty darn cute lil puppies. I like the small, medium, large dog pic at the top.

Blog Entries

I hate puppies.....

S5032527.jpg
    Ernie K Doe

I can see how much you hate puppies by looking at those two fat puppy bellies. Still waiting to see if the loaner turns into a keeper.