Thread: A March Homesteading Day

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default A March Homesteading Day

Some homesteading days seem like nothing but work, but I find that when I'm unable to homestead, I'm not happy. I guess one can get used to anything!

Caught dengue on Tues morn, started on Roger's herbal meds immediamente por supuesto, suffered through a very long night and was noticeably better by morn, but still very weak. Switched to fresh herbal teas of cashew, guava, peppermint and passion flower as the vodka in the tincture was wreaking havoc with my acid reflux. By Thursday I was fit as a fiddle...I thought. A long day of shopping in town had me pining for my comfy bed and another cup of tea.

Friday morn, I was chomping at the bit and almost afraid to see what had happened to my gardens in my absence. Sure enough, leaf curl virus had attacked all the tomatoes. Grrrr! Each plant got a half bucket of water with 1/2 cup of powdered Neem for starters then a combination spray of Neem products. Came into the kitchen at that point to check on the sauerkraut that's been fermenting for 3 days now.

It's smelling so good, and the pot that Anita in San Juan De Oriente made for me is working fantastically. If she only knew what I was doing with it, I'd be getting that head shake again, the one the locals give me soooo often.

Harvested a pound of chili cabro (related to the habañero) and some jalapeños for some hot sauce. Cooked them up with 1/2 cup of vinegar and a tsp of sea salt. I let that set to cool, enjoying my kitchen reeking of hot wing fumes, and headed to the patio to see what Roger was up to with the outdoor oven. It's time to start the sand mound for the dome and I was curious to see how he planned to build his castle. It would be his first in 67 years...this should be interesting!

It didn't take him long to find out he wanted no part of castle-making, and I got recruited while he supervised with beer in hand. Been a loooong time since I've played on the Jersey shores with my cousins, but all the skills came rolling back. He had to make me quit or I would probably still be tweaking that dome to be absolutely perfect!

Too late to start with the next step, a thin clay shell to hold in moisture while it slowly dries for a week or so. February's winds are still with us, it's been a crazy weather season this year, so we headed inside as it was gettin' a little chilly; surely close to 70F, brrr.

Time to pull together some homesteading goodies and make a hearty, healthy dinner for my fella...well, for me too. Using the last half breast of a duck butchered recently and some maters and sweet potatoes from the gardens, dinner was almost solely from the finca. The duck was butterflied and floured before a quick pan fry, the sweet taters baked, maters simply sliced, and the addition of a side dish of onions, chayote (mirliton), bacon and cabbage rounded out the meal.

It sure feels good to feel good again! I like being productive.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A March Homesteading Day

Once again Mil, and excellent post, why do you tempt with those food shots and I am working?

Dammit I have to go raid the fridge.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

I enjoy reading your stories of being creative and cooking from scratch. I try but am not even in the same league
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

Nice story...sorry about the dengue...it has to taste better coming from your own garden!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

I read that if you take papaya leaves and stalk and blend them down for the extract and juice it is a remarkable cure for dengue fever. Not sure if you and your husband know of the remedy.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I suffered thru it one time years ago, drank Lemon Grass tea and woke myself up talking in my sleep about a damned 'ole Ford 302 gasoline engine when the fever broke
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...