Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Default Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT

Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT

It was sold to TACA International Airlines, and operated in Nicaragua.

At the close of its public relations career, it was donated to the National Air and Space Museum, where it now hangs in the Air Transportation gallery.
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT

Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

N9667, 5AT-13, Under rebuild. Ford Tri-Motor Museum, Port Clinton, Ohio, USA

13-N9667-5ATB-1929 (aka AN-AAR-A Restoration Project undertaken by the "Tin Goose Chapter", EAA 1247, in Port Clinton, Ohio. Word received from Bill Larkins and others indicates that this airplane will be rebuilt from major components retrieved from Nicaragua, plus other components which have been in storage. It is believed to be owned by Greg Herrick of the National Air Tour. Acording to Mr. Larkins this airplane was built for SAFEWAY and went from them to American Airways and later American Airlines. It was sold to TACA Honduras and eventually wound up with TACA Nicaragua as AN-AAR.

Blog Entries

Just watched Amelia Airhart (movie on tv) just to revisit all the old airplanes including this one.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Looks you can just drop by and help too...

http://www.tingoose.org/trimotorproject.html
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Yikes, that looks like they're building one from scratch But that's how a lot of restorations go.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Very cool.

Catracho wings is a great website.

April 13, 1991 I bought a trip around the patch in N7584. I think it was about $40.

Last edited by Jonh; 03-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I emailed Dennis McMahon who mentioned flying in a Ford Trimotor from Alamikamba as a young boy. He responded that there was a Ford Trimotor which crashed near Siuna in about 1941. I did some additional research to find that the apparent pilot of that crash was named Usher Rousch:

I am still looking for additional information about the crash.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    The Ford Trimotor in the foreground appears to be of Honduran registry XH-TAH. It was later re-registered as Nicaraguan AN-ABO, then Mexican XAGIJ. It is listed as crashed 8/16/49.

Blog Entries

I am still looking for additional information about the crash.
    Airliner Lands in Jersey Swamp When Fog Veils Newark Field

Here´s an account of a crash landing that Usher Rousch piloted in 1938 where noone was seriously injured.

Blog Entries

Rousch Brothers - - Aviation Pioneers

Usher - October13, 1891 - - April 4, 1941. Built his first airplane in 1909. From 1913-1927 he learned to fly, barnstormed, and did stunt flying. Pilot and instructor for Interstate Airline and American Airways 1928-1930 and American Airlines 1930-1939. In 1931 he helped organize air line pilots’ association and was secretary from 1934-1939. He was Captain on American Airlines 1930-1931. From 1939-1941 he was a pilot with TACA in Central America.

Rousch Brothers - - Aviation Pioneers

Usher - October13, 1891 - - April 4, 1941. Built his first airplane in 1909. From 1913-1927 he learned to fly, barnstormed, and did stunt flying. Pilot and instructor for Interstate Airline and American Airways 1928-1930 and American Airlines 1930-1939. In 1931 he helped organize air line pilots’ association and was secretary from 1934-1939. He was Captain on American Airlines 1930-1931. From 1939-1941 he was a pilot with TACA in Central America.
    Yep, a glorious life but still..........................he bought the farm!

So Help Me Frog~!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Yep, a glorious life but still..........................he bought the farm!

So Help Me Frog~!
    I get your point, but, when you consider that this man began his career in aviation only seven years after the Wright Brothers flew, he designed and built airplanes (and, even flew in those) when people still knew little or nothing about aerodynamics, he barnstormed, he flew mail routes, he flew passenger routes where his passengers and crewmembers survived potentially deadly crashes, he carried cargo into remote jungles where conditions can be treacherous, and, he survived to be 49 years old, this guy truly was, in my opinion, a hero of aviation in its Golden Years.

I´m truly proud to know that this man was a pioneer in my neck of the woods! He undoubtedly visited our airstrip here in Alamikamba many times during the three years he worked for T.A.C.A. in Nicaragua!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting posts Mupi Tara, to say the least...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Interesting posts Mupi Tara, to say the least...
    The real adventurers in life for me are the folks like Usher Rousch who step into the unknown every day and do their best to face whatever fate tosses at them! The decisions that they have to make routinely mean life or death for themselves and those who put their lives in their hands!

I don´t give a hoot in hell for those who who are fooled into believing that adventure is the stuff that comes out of Hollywood!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The real adventurers in life for me are the folks like Usher Rousch who step into the unknown every day and do their best to face whatever fate tosses at them! The decisions that they have to make routinely mean life or death for themselves and those who put their lives in their hands!

I don´t give a hoot in hell for those who who are fooled into believing that adventure is the stuff that comes out of Hollywood!
    Son, you said a mouthful there, I agree
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Indeed.

Blog Entries

Here are two TACA 5-ATs which show Guatemalan registries. One later ended up flying Nicaragua registry AN-AAO. I can´t clearly make out the numbers on the other.

8414 5-AT-C, 52 - → [XH?] → [LGAAC] → [ANAAO]

Blog Entries

Cool scale drawing for Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT-C

I´m having a little trouble reading the directions, however!

Wasn't this the craft that Will Rogers and his flying partner were killed? Seems to me that it had a dreadful reputation. Maybe I am wrong?

Wasn't this the craft that Will Rogers and his flying partner were killed? Seems to me that it had a dreadful reputation. Maybe I am wrong?
    My usual thoughts or depraved intellectual ideas were not correct. I instantly went to the computer keyboard and typed in those lost letters and was advised that it was not the aforementioned craft that resulted in the loss of one of America's Greats, Will Rogers.

It did however point me to an article written by someone that truly loved Wiley Post. http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es..._Post/EX27.htm

This is a good read. So Help Me Frog!!

Blog Entries

Wiley Post & Will Rogers crash
    Barrow, Alaska
    August 15, 1935

The men had been killed while attempting to take off from a tidal lagoon near Barrow. Wiley Post, one of the most famous aviators in the world at the time, was flying the bright red Lockheed Orion Sirius Explorer on floats. Most experts now believe that a combination of miscalculations in the design and operation of the heavily customized aircraft resulted in the uncontrollable spin that occurred right after takeoff.

Actually, the Ford Trimotor (15 passengers) was one of the most respected passenger and cargo carriers of its time. Later, the DC-3 (21-28 passengers) and eventually the much larger CW-20 (62 passengers)(used by LANICA) became the plane of choice for passengers and cargo in our region.

It should be remembered that until 1978 neither El Triangulo Minero, Puerto Cabezas, nor Waspam were connected to Managua (nor the rest of the world for that matter)!

[/QUOTE]It should be remembered that until 1978 neither El Triangulo Minero, Puerto Cabezas, nor Waspam were connected to Managua (nor the rest of the world for that matter)![/QUOTE]

Remarkable isn't it, however; old man Perez of the Hotel Perez in Puerto Cabezas was a close friend of Somoza, and wasn't that connection by road and rail built by Somoza to the Port?

Now Waspan is still removed but more in alignment with Honduras, right across the river. I have approached close by roadway from the Honduran side, years past.

Oft I have wondered as to why there is no ferry of crossing to Honduras at this point?

There were plans to extend the network to the Atlantic coast. A contract was signed in 1903. The line should have stretched 288 km from San Miguelito (a port at Lake Nicaragua) through a difficult terrain to Monkey Point at the Caribbean coast. In 1909, after constructing about 10 miles/16.1 km of tracks, the works stopped and never resumed again. Nicaraguan railroads never connected both coasts. Private investors later built an isolated 62 miles/100 km-long standard gauge line between Puerto Cabezas and Cocoland. It operated from 1925 until 1955 and was used mainly for a transport of lumber and bananas.[3]

This was the connection or one of them between the Somaza and Perez. Perez had a timber and lumber operation from Puerto Cabezas.

Cocoland, mentioned above, is between Waspan and Puerto Cabezas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast