Thread: Be Prepared

Blog Entries

Default Be Prepared

Congressional Research Service report dated March 30, 2011 titled, "Central America Regional Security Initiative: Background and Policy Issues for Congress," warns,

"The seven nations of Central America face significant security challenges. Well-financed and heavily armed criminal threats, fragile political and judicial systems, and persistent social hardships such as poverty and unemployment contribute to widespread insecurity in the region. The United States has allocated $260 million in security assistance to support Central America since FY2008 under what is now known as the Central America Regional Security Initiative; however, security conditions have continued to deteriorate."

It can be read at, http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R41731.pdf

Default Re: Be Prepared

I noticed in the report that Nicaragua is rated at 13 homicides per 100,000 and the US on Wikipedia has it at 52!!! per 100,000

Looks like we need to take care of the US first, they sight drugs, poverty as major factors in the rates of the central American countires, so what's the US's biggest factor in such a higher rate than those rated in the report. Could it be crime? like wiping out milions of American's worth, home, retirement, jobs, etc. It appears that our biggest problem is crime, but in this case it comes from the top of the goverment and trickles down.
    I never said I was normal !

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirebat View Post
    I noticed in the report that Nicaragua is rated at 13 homicides per 100,000 and the US on Wikipedia has it at 52!!! per 100,000

Looks like we need to take care of the US first, they sight drugs, poverty as major factors in the rates of the central American countires, so what's the US's biggest factor in such a higher rate than those rated in the report. Could it be crime? like wiping out milions of American's worth, home, retirement, jobs, etc. It appears that our biggest problem is crime, but in this case it comes from the top of the goverment and trickles down.
    VB, even though you are admittedly NOT Normal, I think you hit the nail on the head.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I noticed in the report that Nicaragua is rated at 13 homicides per 100,000 and the US on Wikipedia has it at 52!!! per 100,000.
    For homicide rates per 100,000, look at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
    the USA = 5.0 (with recent downward trend) and Nicaragua = 13. It's the Central American "northern triangle," of Honduras, El Salvador & Guatemala, that show the alarming high homicide rates & trends due largely to organized drug gangs vying for the lucrative Yanqui-dollar market. What I'd like to know is who in the hell can afford a $100 per gram coke-crack habit for the fun of it in today's US economy? Suppose half of the 770 tons of pure coke produced in the Andes each year gets to the US 'market', that's still short of the amount forked over to bankers for the Wall St. bailout. (I don't disagree with you there, but it's a subject fit for TRN's La Chureca.)

It's to Nicaragua's credit that its cocaine seizures (table 2) are as high as they are.

The only noteworthy problem with Nicaragua is crime victimization rates (fig. 2). One in five were victims of crime in Nicaragua in the last year. (It's 2-4 per 100 in USA, probably mostly inner city.) That's real poverty talking (minus policing).

But I think the larger message to Congress is, "Look here, Central America is falling apart, into lawlessness." Put that together with a one-time communist taking control in one of those countries (guess) by taking the law into his own hands, and you rile those in Congress who believe it's their duty to police the world, especially their neighbors (thanks Monroe). Never mind that the USA's demand for drugs and profit-motive for supplying arms has created this situation.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, but I won't take any bets on it.

The drug trade bottom line is a joke, as long as the CIA uses drug money to promote their separate agendas (separate as from we the people) as a way of side skirting congress for financing approval, as well as supplying arms to what ever side their manipulating at the time you can bet nothing will change.

For me the answer lies in avoiding the worse of several evils at home and abroad, I choose abroad, that's not saying I'm ignorant of process of foreign government's operations either. But I will say that I like what I have found to be reality outside the borders of the US. Not perfect, just better in many ways.

I have watched my country US go down hill since I was a child, was it on a down slide before I was born, perhaps, but I relate it best to the quality of life I had starting out as a child until this day. There is a CA town I grew up around and come in and out of over the years to visit friends. Those who have chose a life there, don't see it from my eyes, instead they plug along as their entrenched work and family doesn't allow for living anywhere else. But I have to say, that when I visit it is extremely depressing for me. If fact the extreme poverty of the 3rd world does not have the same depressing impact for me, probably because the introduction of the 3rd world woes are some what new to me on a personal level.

The whole point being, yes there's a point, and it's that it will not get better, it will be different, but not better. Where it takes us as a nation I don't know, but it won't be a better place than it was when I was growing up, as it's been for me at least a 50 yr + trend in one direction.
    I never said I was normal !

The drug trade bottom line is a joke, as long as the CIA uses drug money to promote their separate agendas (separate as from we the people) as a way of side skirting congress for financing approval, as well as supplying arms to what ever side their manipulating at the time you can bet nothing will change.

For me the answer lies in avoiding the worse of several evils at home and abroad, I choose abroad, that's not saying I'm ignorant of process of foreign government's operations either. But I will say that I like what I have found to be reality outside the borders of the US. Not perfect, just better in many ways.

I have watched my country US go down hill since I was a child, was it on a down slide before I was born, perhaps, but I relate it best to the quality of life I had starting out as a child until this day. There is a CA town I grew up around and come in and out of over the years to visit friends. Those who have chose a life there, don't see it from my eyes, instead they plug along as their entrenched work and family doesn't allow for living anywhere else. But I have to say, that when I visit it is extremely depressing for me. If fact the extreme poverty of the 3rd world does not have the same depressing impact for me, probably because the introduction of the 3rd world woes are some what new to me on a personal level.

The whole point being, yes there's a point, and it's that it will not get better, it will be different, but not better. Where it takes us as a nation I don't know, but it won't be a better place than it was when I was growing up, as it's been for me at least a 50 yr + trend in one direction.
    I do agree with your statment,even though is so sad to admit that it is the truth ,USA is no longer the country of hope , it is very depressing to watch what is happening here now .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gen08 View Post
    . . . is so sad to admit that it is the truth ,USA is no longer the country of hope , it is very depressing to watch what is happening here now.
    That depends on where you look. There are still a lot of good Americans left. Unfortunately too few are in positions of power.

What is 'news' is merely an exaggeration of the worst that is happening.

There is no perfect country, no perfect government; it's all civic experimentation. Offer an average Nica the chance to live like an average American - you know what (s)he'll say.

Blog Entries

The drug trade bottom line is a joke, as long as the CIA uses drug money . . .
    I believe it does correlate with the increased homicide rates. The money is too, TOO BIG. And as long as players can get away with murdering the competition by putting the judicial system on payroll . . .

The CIA was out of control - no excuse. But name me a secret police organization in any country that doesn't go too far now & again. And all have one (or more). Even the Sandinistas' boys under Borges broke some of their own rules. And Venezuela & Cuba, what do they do about the drug trade?

For me the answer lies in avoiding the worse of several evils at home and abroad, I choose abroad, . . .
    And power to you sir. I also chose Nicaragua, tho only half the year. Let us not forget how much further dollars go there (because it's poor) and the advantages we have had growing up where we did, like education & health.

. . . it will not get better, it will be different, but not better. Where it takes us as a nation I don't know, but it won't be a better place than it was when I was growing up, as it's been for me at least a 50 yr + trend in one direction.
    No question, it'll be different, a brave, new world perhaps. Stay tuned.

(I appreciate where you're coming from with your comment "us as a nation" regardless of where & why you chose where to live.)

My point, yes, in posting the report is that it matters how the USA sees its neighbors. Maybe not in the short term, but eventually . . .

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    That depends on where you look. There are still a lot of good Americans left. Unfortunately too few are in positions of power.

Some reliant background satirical reinforcement...

http://www.theonion.com/video/americ...ver-giv,19846/
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Some reliant background satirical reinforcement...

http://www.theonion.com/video/americ...ver-giv,19846/
    Thanks Bill, I needed that. The Onion always makes me cry . . . with laughter.

Here's mud in your eye . . .

Blog Entries

In today's TRN Daily News (thanks LCT!) the drug trade crossing Nicaragua gets additional coverage: TIME magazine, The Economist. The TIME article by Tim Rogers states,

". . . Nicaragua — which leads Central America in drug busts and seizures — is the region's interdiction showcase. Yet despite many victories in battle, some fear Nicaragua is still losing the war, as the Mosquito Coast problem underscores. A report released this month by Nicaragua's private Institute of Strategic Studies and Public Policy, for example, reveals that narco-trafficking in the southern Caribbean-coast town of Bluefields has spawned a new generation of homegrown narco-hitmen, responsible for 33 murders in 2010, as well as new drug consumers. As in much of the rest of Central America, in fact, drugs on the Mosquito Coast have become an alternative currency among youths."

"An indigenous separatist movement led by a council of elders is even toying with the idea of funding itself with narco-dollars, . . . "We also have the right to use these resources," a leader of the Communitarian Nation of the Moskitia in Bilwi told me in confidence. "The laws that prohibit it are the laws of Nicaragua and not the laws of the indigenous people."

Could this be what's behind Ortega's 'confiscation' of RAAS (see Pedro X. Molina's cartoon of a few days ago), where, I believe, he made Chontales its new 'capitol' even though it's not in RAAS?

Blog Entries

More from Tim Rogers' report:

". . . several tiny outposts on the country's Mosquito Coast have morphed into international logistics hubs for transnational drug shipments headed in every direction. In the fishing village of Sandy Bay, for instance, officials say cocaine from Colombia is divvied up and reloaded onto northbound vessels, while marijuana from Jamaica is hidden on go-fast boats heading south to Costa Rica, where booming tourism and immigration by Americans and Europeans have led to new consumer demand — and a reverse flow of drugs."

Those 'Americans and Europeans' again. Canadians don't do dope, do they?_

Blog Entries

"An indigenous separatist movement led by a council of elders is even toying with the idea of funding itself with narco-dollars, . . . "

And they scoffed at Ollie North.