Thread: Rain soon come

Blog Entries

Default Rain soon come

Been watching the clouds build daily, even a sprinkle or 2, this is how it starts. I bet within the next few weeks we will see our first measurable rains. April saw 1 inch of rain, that is normal.

Been trying to keep everything watered, a few of the smaller citrus trees are showing a little stress, so I hope the rain comes sooner than later. I have many trees ready to go in the ground as soon as the rains begin as well as many plants.

Been taking lots of pics and hopefully in the next month or so I will have my computer back up and running so that I can start posting them.

Checked all my avocado trees yesterday and I think one will start dropping fruit in the next few weeks, looked at last years notes and the first one fell on May 5. 3 trees that have never fruited have on this year, exciting.

Mangoes, frog a mighty, eating 2 or 3 dozen a day, giving neighbors a few 5 gallon buckets full a day. Crazy with mangoes.

Working a fair bit, but need a little rain to get things going.

Tomorrow I have machete men coming in to start cleaning out around the avocado trees, rake and burn so that I will not have to hunt my prey after they fall.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rain soon come

Ahhh so the Cookshoe has showed back up again.

Son let me give you a bit of my 'ole Farmer Grand mothers advise.

Sometimes ya need to let ya plants stress a bit to develop a deep root system.

But it is funny isn't it that the mangoes produce as well as the cashew's do during "Dry Time" with heavy fruit and juicy

I have as well been enjoying a daily fruit drink from the trees.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I would say that 1 inch of rain in a month is plenty of stress. Most of my citrus trees are 2 yrs old or more and they are all fine, only saw a little stress on the one yr olds, been putting a few buckets of water on them in the past week, they should be fine until the rain comes.

Have not watered the okra at all and it still produces, when the rains come it will go wild, certainly proving your Granny´s point.

Cashew´s and mangoes are insane here, cannot wait to post photos of the mango trees, people will not believe it, the branches are touching the ground they are absolutely loaded.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

BTW do you paint the bottom 4 feet of your trees with a lime paste to keep down ground borne insects from your fruit?

I do and it helps.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I have a few citrus I want to try it on. Don´t see many here doing it, not like on the Main.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I have a few citrus I want to try it on. Don´t see many here doing it, not like on the Main.
    Hey it works and is not that expensive either, just more time than money, for here anyway.

Blog Entries

Rains still not come, cloudy the last 2 days. Watering from 4 am to 6am, tiring. I need some rain. Soon.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I looooove my sprinklers!!! If I had more $$ to invest (that means less beer to drink) I would put in a big ol' sprinkler system in this yard...pie in the sky, I suppose.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    I looooove my sprinklers!!! If I had more $$ to invest (that means less beer to drink) I would put in a big ol' sprinkler system in this yard...pie in the sky, I suppose.
    i'll throw in a sprinkler system for the earthbag rental house....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

We had rain here in Santa Cruz for the past hour or so, only 'bout half an inch, just enough to kick me outa' the garden and force me to drink Toñas while I wait for the skies to clear again.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."