Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arteBA

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Default arteBA

Attended a huge and very nice art show yesterday. This is my favorite although there were many excellent works on display.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Question Re: arteBA

Artist??? Title???
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Default Re: arteBA

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    Attended a huge and very nice art show yesterday. This is my favorite although there were many excellent works on display.
    The Argentine artist is Nahuel Vecino and this piece is part of three piece presentation. Here are the other two pieces in order. I got the name of the center piece, Follaje Orfico de Long Chumps, which at the time I thought was for the entire presentation but now I am not so sure.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the facial expressions captured
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

They are good facial expressions, except I don't get the blank thousand yard stare of the guitar player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    They are good facial expressions, except I don't get the blank thousand yard stare of the guitar player.
    As much as I enjoy looking at Art, half or more of the time I probably miss what the Artist intended. I went to two galleries today, I will post a couple from them, totally different. I will also post a link to my gallery with several hundred images in a couple of days just to give you a better idea of what is offered in this city.

Blog Entries

Quit talking about it and do it.

Thanks Dan for giving us an incite into other cultures that many of us would perhaps never see.

Your comments with your pictures seem to bring them to life.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

This first piece is called “El Cielo en un Pozo” or a translation of “The Sky in a Well” which was at the Recoleta Culture Center

From the Palais de Blace, Sin titulo, Medina de Marrakech Marruecos

and also from the Palais, Leon Ferrair, Otras Bestias (Other Beasts)

Blog Entries

As much as I enjoy looking at Art, half or more of the time I probably miss what the Artist intended.
    Based on what I keep hearing about contemporary art, the artist's intentions aren't important. What you see is important. I don't particularly like that - if you're going to go to the effort of creating something, you have to have some intent behind it, or why bother. Otherwise, it's just a joke they're playing on us. And yes, some of them do see it as a joke.

Based on what I keep hearing about contemporary art, the artist's intentions aren't important. What you see is important. I don't particularly like that - if you're going to go to the effort of creating something, you have to have some intent behind it, or why bother. Otherwise, it's just a joke they're playing on us. And yes, some of them do see it as a joke.
    I don’t agree with your criticism or at least your conclusion. Art should be totally about the artist and what he/she wishes to create. If you don’t like the creation, then that is your choice but that should not limit what the artist is able to create. Trying to control the ideas of individuals is against what our country stands for and that includes artists.

Blog Entries

I don’t agree with your criticism or at least your conclusion. Art should be totally about the artist and what he/she wishes to create. If you don’t like the creation, then that is your choice but that should not limit what the artist is able to create. Trying to control the ideas of individuals is against what our country stands for and that includes artists.
    I disagree Dan all artists have an agenda to put forth a thought in ones mind about their work.

If not why bother?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danpolley View Post
    attended a huge and very nice art show yesterday. This is my favorite although there were many excellent works on display.
    eric clapton?

Blog Entries

Ummm, Dan.....for a self proclaimed logical thinker, the above statement is surprising.

First, I saw no criticism in John's statement.

Art is about many things I guess, and one of those things is the artist. I do not understand your leap of logic to say that John even inferred that his dislike of an art form should limit what the artist is able to create.

And then you wave the flag?

Frog Bless America?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I disagree Dan all artists have an agenda to put forth a thought in ones mind about their work.

If not why bother?
    I agree with you that the artist(s) do have agendas but that is not what I responded to. Jonh said “the artist’s intentions aren’t important” I said “Art should be totally about the artist and what he/she wishes to create” That I offered that I often miss the artist’s intent should not be a basis for discourse unless you wish to imply that I am stupid. (After 6 FDC no objection).

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Ummm, Dan.....for a self proclaimed logical thinker, the above statement is surprising.

First, I saw no criticism in John's statement.

Art is about many things I guess, and one of those things is the artist. I do not understand your leap of logic to say that John even inferred that hi+s dislike of an art form should limit what the artist is able to create.

And then you wave the flag?

Frog Bless America?
    "First, I saw no criticism in John's statement.” "I don't particularly like that - if you're going to go to the effort of creating something, you have to have some intent behind it, or why bother. Otherwise, it's just a joke they're playing on us. And yes, some of them do see it as a joke.” If you don’t see any criticism in that statement, then in your eyes, I have no basis for any further discussion. "And then you wave the flag?” Is there something in my statement that you disagree with?

Blog Entries

Not the flag waving part but I still fail to see the criticism.... no future in further discussion I guess.

However, I saw nothing in Johns statement that would imply that he (John) was for limiting the artist if he (John) did not like the art. This is how I read your statement.

Oh hell, maybe we should just talk about religion or politics?

Not the flag waving part but I still fail to see the criticism.... no future in further discussion I guess.

However, I saw nothing in Johns statement that would imply that he (John) was for limiting the artist if he (John) did not like the art. This is how I read your statement.

Oh hell, maybe we should just talk about religion or politics?
    Sounds good, on to politics and religion

Blog Entries

Think I'll pass, thank you.

Blog Entries

What was obviously unclear was that art critics and professors tell us the artists' intentions don't matter. Not that artists themselves, or I, think they don't matter. And that I disagreed that the intentions don't matter. When someone says, "What does it mean to you?" I say who cares? What was the purpose of the artwork? The artist's intent either got conveyed or it didn't. I think people crave art with meaning, and that abstract "rorshach" art is profoundly disappointing and empty.

Think I'll pass, thank you.
    Sounds good to me

What was obviously unclear was that art critics and professors tell us the artists' intentions don't matter. Not that artists themselves, or I, think they don't matter. And that I disagreed that the intentions don't matter. When someone says, "What does it mean to you?" I say who cares? What was the purpose of the artwork? The artist's intent either got conveyed or it didn't. I think people crave art with meaning, and that abstract "rorshach" art is profoundly disappointing and empty.
    There is a place for you in the next presidential debate, yeah I can see it now... Jonh and Sarah

Blog Entries

There is a place for you in the next presidential debate, yeah I can see it now... Jonh and Sarah
    Anyone else not understand what I said? i thought I was pretty clear both times.

Blog Entries

I thought you were plenty clear.

I am not much of an art lover but I do like to see what goes from the mind to a brush in hand at times.

I did tour one place in Washington DC and enjoyed the hell out of it, saw many portraits of George Washington, each one different and unique as well as others.

Blog Entries

I ask a favor to all my friends, put your writings in bold, does it cost anything extra?

My sight is not what it used to be, just the mashing of a button, I do not feel it is shouting it is what takes place as we all slide on the hill of life.

PUTTING THING IN UPPER CASE IS SHOUTING

In bold is just so that it can be read.

JW

Blog Entries

What was this artist thinking I wonder?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Survivor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast