Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Apoyo Spanish Schools

amsutton

Default Re: Lake Apoyo Spanish Schools

Money is nothing compared to the loss of a child.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I understand that, but some times for a man to get hit in the left hind pocket is painful...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I understand that, but some times for a man to get hit in the left hind pocket is painful...
    I have a hunch the man has a very deep pocket.

Blog Entries

Dr. S, could this be him or the daughter?

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/f...-fishbiologist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I have a hunch the man has a very deep pocket.
    Perhaps your hunch is right, but it still hurts.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

amsutton

Default Some insight into the ponderings on this thread

Jeffrey was coordinator for the management plan for Laguna de Apoyo, and a group of "investors" teamed with McKaye to cause him trouble, including death threats which was covered by the news:
    http://archivo.elnuevodiario.com.ni/...amentales/1004
    http://impreso.elnuevodiario.com.ni/...cionales/27065

There is a lot of pressure on the part of a few people who would stand to make a lot of money if the regulations regarding Laguna de Apoyo Nature Reserve were not applied or enforced. That group has attracted the attention of the police and the press: http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/nacionales/40631
    Jeffrey told me he was asked to provide information on McKaye and van den Berghe by the local police, and he agreed to cooperate, resulting in this raid.

Also, he has been in the local and international news a lot regarding the controversy regarding tilapia introductions in Nicaragua and their impacts on local species of fish, too, for instance: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/sc...1&pagewanted=1

Blog Entries

In today's TRN Daily News (thanks to LCT & Google), at the bottom, is an article from clusterflock.org about a small tilapia ('aquatic chicken') farm that 'ruined' Lago Apoyo.

It links to the original NY Times article from 2 May 2011, which often quotes one of the dueling docs of interest in this thread,

"Dr. Jeffrey McCrary, an American fish biologist who works in Nicaragua."

P.S. Curously I didn't see AMSutton's post above this with reference to the same article at the time I posted this.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

amsutton

Yes the original article has been reposted numerous times in various publications and blogs.

amsutton

I have also made some posts about this situation on Nicaliving.com Some individuals have questioned my motivation. I am not asking for sympathy regarding the loss of my baby girl. The man who caused this situation has been publicizing his place, the Apoyo Cultural Center, falsely in my opinion. I just wanted to spread some awareness about the situation. For anyone still interested, this was just recently published: http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/naci...alia-de-masaya

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amsutton View Post
    I have also made some posts about this situation on Nicaliving.com Some individuals have questioned my motivation. I am not asking for sympathy regarding the loss of my baby girl. The man who caused this situation has been publicizing his place, the Apoyo Cultural Center, falsely in my opinion. I just wanted to spread some awareness about the situation. For anyone still interested, this was just recently published: http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/naci...alia-de-masaya

You do seem to be highly motivated. You use strong symbolic messages to get your point across with frequency.

I hope you are coping with your loss. Seems you have had problems with this kind of thing before as well.
    Survivor

amsutton

Randude: You are astute. I delivered triplet boys in 2009. They died one week after birth. There was no one to blame except myself - thinking I could carry three to full-term. I'm really not looking to blame anyone for the loss of my daughter. I firmly believe God has a plan for us all. I just want to bring awareness to a place that is being highly advertised for it's great Spanish school, diving and accommodations. I was just at Lake Apoyo this week actually, and the Apoyo Cultural Center is not a thriving "hot" spot. I think the building should be returned to its rightful owner who can do some justice to the site. Dr. McCrary continues to direct thoughtful scientific research and hold Spanish classes for students all over the world. I can't bring my daughter back, but I can direct my energy towards turning a bad situation into a good one for the future.

Blog Entries

Randude: You are astute. I delivered triplet boys in 2009. They died one week after birth. There was no one to blame except myself - thinking I could carry three to full-term. I'm really not looking to blame anyone for the loss of my daughter. I firmly believe God has a plan for us all. I just want to bring awareness to a place that is being highly advertised for it's great Spanish school, diving and accommodations. I was just at Lake Apoyo this week actually, and the Apoyo Cultural Center is not a thriving "hot" spot. I think the building should be returned to its rightful owner who can do some justice to the site. Dr. McCrary continues to direct thoughtful scientific research and hold Spanish classes for students all over the world. I can't bring my daughter back, but I can direct my energy towards turning a bad situation into a good one for the future.
    In spite of your losses, I like the positive attitude.. I ma drunk and going to take a rest now...

amsutton

Gotta keep that glass half full you know....especially when drinking a good red wine!

Blog Entries

Gotta keep that glass half full you know....especially when drinking a good red wine!
    I haven't had that in so long I don't even remember.... I can only get beer here that needs to be poured back in the horse, or Rum that would Make Capt. Jack crazy....

Blog Entries

Red Wine is sorta my thing. I spend a great deal of my time in country that makes the best red wines in the world. I say that almost ready to start an argument, but I have been drinking the wines in Salem Oregon for years and always compare them to the French. California has some great wine too. But this is a bit off subject.
    Survivor

amsutton

I live in Virginia, and the Williamsburg Winery makes a fine glass, but I'm in no way saying Virginia wines are the best. That is one argument I'll stay out of....I'll stick to safer subjects like the Lake Apoyo Spanish Schools But seriously I am perplexed by the myriad of complexities faced by an individual when tackling the judicial system in Nicaragua. Jeffrey McCrary has been battling this issue for years in the court system and making only small steps. The event in December seems to warrant faster action on behalf of the court in my opinion. In addition to raising awareness about the Apoyo Cultural Center, I hope that the message gets back to the courts that action needs to be taken soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12