Thread: Fresh Water Fishing Tackle

Default Fresh Water Fishing Tackle

What is the availability of decent fresh water fishing tackle? Can you find the tyical rods, reels and good line that you find in the states for a decent price, or are the prices jacked up more? Or the same?

I gave all my camping and fishing equipment to my nephew when I decided to make my move and I wouldn't feel like lugging any new stuff down there till I was there permanantly anyhow.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fresh Water Fishing Tackle

In an unrelated post, FisherCigarMan mentioned a tackle shop in the Galleria. He is really the guy to ask about fishing gear.

Good luck!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    In an unrelated post, FisherCigarMan mentioned a tackle shop in the Galleria. He is really the guy to ask about fishing gear.

Good luck!
    Great thanks... Hopefully he stumbles across this.

Blog Entries

Send him a PM.

If he doesn't in a day or two I will. If he replies here it will help others who run across it or might be looking for this info in the future...

Yes, there is a Sporting Goods store (GARSA) in Gallerias (2nd Story, next to CLARO), they have a good assortment of equipment, good brand names, maybe 10 to 20% higher prices than in the States. There is also another place, Pesqueros de Nicaragua, by Km 7, carretera Sur, that has a good assortment on sports fishing equipment. Hope this helps.

Excellent thanks.

Unless that lead for fishing tackel works out you'll be hard pressed to find the kind of tackle that you are use to working with. Even in a fishing village such as SJDS the supplies are extremely limited. I had a very hard time finding something as simple as bait.
    Although there are some basic supplies and Nica style reels (hand held manual feed and toss) I brought mine stuff and had the kind of tackle that were use to in the states, this became one of the most coveted items my freinds wanted if I was going to (give) it away, as I've done with other items from time to time.

My point is bring what you think you'll need, except line, unless you have to have a certian type, line can be found easilym hooks too, but not a great selection.
    In SJDS you can get some of these supplies at Gabby's in the center of town.

On anther note: The nica charters that go out with clients or tourist everyday seem to have a decent supply on hand with the use of good reels and so on. They might be your best resource to securing local supplies. I never talked to any of them about it where they got their stuff. But they should know.

Now that I'm back in the states I left my pole and reel with a friend in hopes that it will be there when I return, regardless I will bring another pole and reel with me when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    What is the availability of decent fresh water fishing tackle? Can you find the tyical rods, reels and good line that you find in the states for a decent price, or are the prices jacked up more? Or the same?

I gave all my camping and fishing equipment to my nephew when I decided to make my move and I wouldn't feel like lugging any new stuff down there till I was there permanantly anyhow.
    I never said I was normal !

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hey there fellow fisherman,the BEST BET is this store,mentioned by rivense,it has plenty of reels(thou mainly salt water),they offer a huge variety of Salt Water lures,including Rapalas,which are my main lures when Salt Water trolling in Casares area.
    the store is: (GARSA) in Gallerias (2nd Story, next to CLARO).

For the best fresh water equipment,I've had to take 4 bazucas and over 10 reel/rod combos and I have them in Nicaragua,since I usually fish the yearly Ometepe International Fresh water tournament .

Good luck and please report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    If he doesn't in a day or two I will. If he replies here it will help others who run across it or might be looking for this info in the future...

Although not freshwater, Ive seen the same problem in RAAS. All that water and not a single tackle shop, just hand lines and hooks. The family is sending 4 rods and some tackle down for next trip though. 2 heavy for surf / trolling and 2 light for angling. No boat shops either, seems like there would be a business idea in there somewhere.

Blog Entries

Swanny ,,, If you are still in the US....my suggestion would be to get some fresh water gear on the used market....you can get it WAY cheap in the US (especially reels ...Craigs list, garrage sale, or ebay) and reel transport is easy. Rods require the purchase of a bazooka carrying case (not too expensive).

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I shouldn't have given all my gear to my nephew. Might have to beat him up and take it back.

I'll probably just wait and see once I get down there though. I want to travel light on my first 90 days.

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Swanny ,,, If you are still in the US....my suggestion would be to get some fresh water gear on the used market....you can get it WAY cheap in the US (especially reels ...Craigs list, garrage sale, or ebay) and reel transport is easy. Rods require the purchase of a bazooka carrying case (not too expensive).

Just my thoughts.
    I saw this post a few days ago. But, I´ve been too occupied to respond.

I buy virtually nothing in sport fishing gear in Nicaragua. The selection is minimal. Rod and reel brands that I´ve seen here are usually lower end quality with high-end prices. Lures are extremely high priced and mostly not the best choices for the area where I fish. There is little option for lines and leaders.

I agree with LCT on buying (preferably used) top quality equipment (name brands - not house brands - especially Shimano) in the US. Take good care of your reels and they will continue to perform well. I frequently pick up 2-4 used reels on every trip to the US.

I prefer to buy new, moderately priced rods since they are usually sturdy with acceptable action. My rods get too much abuse to justify buying the high-end ones. If a rod breaks, I don´t cry. I just pull out another one and keep fishing. I build a PVC rod case and stuff it with 6-8 rods rolled with bubble rap every time I go to the states.

Rods that come with warranties are usually not worth the higher price considering the effort it takes to collect on the warranty. Also, I´ve noticed that the high-dollar warranted rods are usually the ones that are so brittle that they seem to break for no apparent reason. The high-dollar ultralight rods are a pleasure to cast all day. But, their ultra-light weight comes from thin walls with little resin. Cheaper rods are usually made with thicker walls and consequently more resin which makes them heavier than those high dollar ultralight rods. Every high-dollar warrantied rod that has come here has gone back to the states after its first trip on the river!

The only warranted rods that I´ve seen come here that have proven to be worth their moderate price is TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters). I haven´t seen TFO rods break. But, I did replace one using their lifetime warranty because the cork handle developed a split. My flyfishing visitors usually end up borrowing one of my TFOs once their own high-dollar rods break in-two! Their loops usually get better too!

The investment in well built reels and robust rods is important if you expect them to hold up down here. I don´t care if a reel has ¨boat rash¨ on it if it has been well maintained.

When I go to the states (about twice each year) I usually spend at least US$500 (about 150 units) on replacement lures. If I could find a comparable selection in Nicaragua, I´d probably have to spend over US$1500 for them! Lure prices keep going up, though. When I came here eight years ago, US$2 would buy almost any lure that I wanted. Now, US$2 won´t buy anything at the Dollar Store! At present, most lures that I buy start at US$6 - with the exception of the Cotton Cordell brand (suitable for freshwater only) which I can frequently get for about US$2-3. I usually end up buying out the closeout lures in the lure models that I use but in color patterns that are being discontinued. That way I save a buck or so. The fish here don´t seem to be that picky about what color they eat!

I hope that my ramblings have helped!
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Swanny you should give a bit of thought to visiting PapaTara.

He certainly knows where and when to be for that kind of thing, got a nice place to stay and is not going to kill you on the price....

Known him for years.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...