Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Corn Island

Blog Entries

Default Welcome to Corn Island

Those of you on the left side of the airplane will see burning tires as the wheels touch the ground, oh yeah, those on the right side will see the same.

Those of you in the terminal waiting to get back to MGA should know that we may experience a slight delay. Those of you that just arrived, good luck.

HUELGA. Let the fun and games begin. 1st thing on the list burn a 2 year old toyota bus, nice...

July 1st was the first day of the Lobster season and as always a few riots)oops, I mean peaceful protest and of course a bonfire was needed to keep warm).

Any time you hear anyone here speak about the ¨depletion of the fisheries¨the next word out of their mouth is tourism. Maybe they need to ask the tourism people in Somalia or Haiti about how this alll plays out.

Makes me sick at my stomach.

Better than all that is the fact that I can see the burned out hull of a vehicle belonging to the richest man on the Island and have to wonder if this can happen to him, what about a poor Chele with a little farm.

Happy 4th of July.

LET FREEDOM RING...
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Welcome to Corn Island

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    what about a poor Chele with a little farm.

Happy 4th of July.

LET FREEDOM RING...

Any skill at fashioning pitch forks and torches??.. The market must be ripe?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

sounds like i made a good choice to delay my visit!
    Exactly what are they demonstrating/rioting about?
    Take care.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickled toe View Post
    sounds like i made a good choice to delay my visit!
    Exactly what are they demonstrating/rioting about?
    Take care.

You mean you need a reason?

Protesters are upset about the low price of lobster, they feel that the World Market Price for Lobster is set here, and they seem to think that destroying property (1 Toyota Bus) will help raise prices in the World Market.

Try and explain that silly supply and demand thing and risk getting your ass set afire.

My ass will continue to try and stay fire free, but I bet I hear about this post before I get home. I already tried to burn my house down, cement block, gas is $5 a gallon, expensive lesson. Silly Gringo.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Kevin,
    Photos? Land Cruiser Flambe is always an interesting substitute for lobster.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    Kevin,
    You will see it, they have it set like a monument at the ¨Y¨ where the road head to the gas station. I started to head there and take pics when it was on fire but I heard that nary a Black Man was in sight, no place for Whitey, Indians only.

On a high note, bought 2 pound of tail (lobster) yesterday for 100 cords because the neighbor does not want to let anyone see him selling at the Plant.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Kevin,

Had to read again. The Land Cruiser is not in use. There has been a change in transport.

The new bus was burned, a damn shame, the driver always felt pity on me and would give me a ride.
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

. . . and have to wonder if this can happen to him, what about a poor Chele with a little farm. . . .
    Just paint your place red and black; for visiting gringos, you're just a UGa (Bulldog) or a UC (Bearcat) fan. (But I know that would be kinda difficult for any gator fans like Jonh!)

But seriously, do your best to grin and bear it. It's all part of the expat life. Losing sleep over it won't help any. No place is without risks (you could have been living in Joplin, Mo!) Just be a good neighbor and just live one day at a time. [Of course, if it's primarily Indians that are protesting, red and black might be the last colors to select!]
    Last edited by dixietraveller; 07-04-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add text
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dixietraveller View Post
    Just paint your place red and black; for visiting gringos, you're just a UGa (Bulldog) or a UC (Bearcat) fan. (But I know that would be kinda difficult for any gator fans like Jonh!)

But seriously, do your best to grin and bear it. It's all part of the expat life. Losing sleep over it won't help any. No place is without risks (you could have been living in Joplin, Mo!) Just be a good neighbor and just live one day at a time.

Was I still in the States I would have been in Joplin, I was at every disaster (natural or man made) for many years before I moved here. I grew up in tornado alley, weather is one thing, people are another.

I have never been scared by the weather, surprised, yes. People scare me, desperate people really scare me.
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

. . . I have never been scared by the weather, surprised, yes. People scare me, desperate people really scare me.
    People too often do seem to be more cruel than even the worst weather and with no real excuse for their action other than just being mean spirited!
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Active TRN Member

No panga to Little Corn today because they couldn't get fuel!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by dixietraveller View Post

]
    UGA all the way. Go you hairy bulldogs.

Spent two years in Athens GA waiting for tickets to a football game. They never came.

Blog Entries

Couldn't get gas?? Does that mean the protest continues? Is this all over the price they are getting for lobster or is it something more?
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

Got gas and Tail, Huelga ain´t holding me back.
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member

This happens EVERY YEAR at the opening of lobster season when prices are set. They will increase after production is determined.

Blog Entries

I haven´t heard a peep since Saturday. Like Marlies says this is a yearly event. Doesn´t seem like they have as many Huelgas as years back, but destruction of property has become more common.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Marlies, are you back on the island? Is Merle back? I hope all is well with him. How many dogs do you two have now? The last time I stopped by there was Amos and a couple of smaller dogs. I like to bring treats for dogs when I come, we're suckers for a good dog.

How about you Cookshow? How many dogs do you have now? i know you have Max. Do you still have the brother and sister team?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    This happens EVERY YEAR at the opening of lobster season when prices are set. They will increase after production is determined.
    Marlies you got that right, that even happens in Florida.

If they catching thick it won't change, but if the fishing is thin they (The Buyers) will try and do something.

But it is different in this and last year, High dollar meat is not moving too good. consumers are going for things with a lesser price tag and as uasal Fishermen don't understand a glut in production.

Boy last year when the fishing here got poor and on top of it a market glut, the GM had to be very diplomatic in his situation. They dropped their margin to the bare bones.

I like you have been on both sides of the fence many times in life.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Marlies, are you back on the island? Is Merle back? I hope all is well with him. How many dogs do you two have now? The last time I stopped by there was Amos and a couple of smaller dogs. I like to bring treats for dogs when I come, we're suckers for a good dog.

How about you Cookshow? How many dogs do you have now? i know you have Max. Do you still have the brother and sister team?
    Dolly, The dog treats are ALWAYS appreciated. However, Amos always takes his rawhide and immediately buries it. I have never seen him chew on one (albeit, perhaps he does it only during the dark of night, under the porch). Max took his rawhide bone and was so nervous about it...didn't know what to do with it... just like that insurance commercial! He finally calmed down and savored it. I know Cookshow would appreciate the Advantage treatments and some rawhide bones. Merle will also be bringing some back soon for Amos. I also ordered syringes of activated charcoal for animal poisoning which Merle will bring back in case of future emergency.

Whatever you bring will be appreciated. I know Amos will be happy to see you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    Dolly, The dog treats are ALWAYS appreciated. However, Amos always takes his rawhide and immediately buries it. I have never seen him chew on one (albeit, perhaps he does it only during the dark of night, under the porch). Max took his rawhide bone and was so nervous about it...didn't know what to do with it... just like that insurance commercial! He finally calmed down and savored it. I know Cookshow would appreciate the Advantage treatments and some rawhide bones. Merle will also be bringing some back soon for Amos. I also ordered syringes of activated charcoal for animal poisoning which Merle will bring back in case of future emergency.

Whatever you bring will be appreciated. I know Amos will be happy to see you!
    Yes anything, thanks. Max loved anything to chew on, he oftrn chews on coconuts.

I am on the main and trying to get some medicines, I got some this morning and this afternoon in MGA I am going to get more. Max is sick and I am just not sure what it is. He has worms for the second time in 3 months. He has been loosing weight, his appetite is not good. Me being gone always puts him on the edge too so he is eating even less.

Ticks have been bad this year so I am scared he may have something transmitted by them, and the worms have me concerned.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Once he's worm free, can you get stuff like Pfizer Revolution there? We use that and swear by it, but the dog has to be free of worms first or it can be harmful. You can get it online from an Australian company without a prescription. They might even ship to Nic.

Blog Entries

I can bring him the new repellent that is good for both fleas and ticks. If there's something else you need for him, just let me know and I will do my best to bring it along. I will be there on Aug 15. It's a bit of time, but you may have a better idea of what you need on going by then. I'll bring chew toys too.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I give mine ALBENDIZOLE just like I an my children take for 3 days, That will clean the insides out for sure, only thing is he can't do any Rum drinking during this....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Kevin,
    Toyota. Well Toasted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Toyota. Well Toasted.
    Much better than local farmer, medium rare.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast