Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg of Lamb

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Leg of Lamb

BTW welcome back DDT I promise, well, sort of, not to bait you again....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    There are some real "sheep" here and a few other cross breeds I cannot identify.
    This could be the reason that it was against the law and still is for a man to ride in a sheep car. Ya could git a few of those unidentifiable cross-breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Playa Pete View Post
    Renco has a source...I mean we are talking Leg of lamb, rack of lamb...as good as it gets

not that damn goat that one needs to marinate in vodka for a few days...then toss out the goat and drink the vodka

You just need to wait for Renco to stop herding pigs at the beach; and check-in on the TRN

What a treat...
    PP
    Bavaria, it is the butcher located at the StOPNGO shopping center at the first entrance to Santo Domingo on Carretera Masaya, Managua. About KM 6.5 after the Galeria shopping center. New Zealand Lamb.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    Bavaria, it is the butcher located at the StOPNGO shopping center at the first entrance to Santo Domingo on Carretera Masaya, Managua. About KM 6.5 after the Galeria shopping center. New Zealand Lamb.
    Knowing Renco ...... Priceless!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    And so is it called carne de carnero, carne de oveja, carne neozelandesa, ??? (in case one wants to inqure! )

And the name of the carniceria is Bavaria? Does the owner wear lederhosen, and sell weisswurst, bratwurst, bierwurst, schinkenwurst, and other German goodies??
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I might have to move to China then!

Ah, I'll survive without I suppose...
    There are hair sheep here (someone gave the local name earlier) and people claim, falsely, that they're crosses between sheep and goats. Jinocuba restaurant in Jinotega seems to have a source for it -- and I suspect that just driving around looking for something that looks like a cross between a goat and a sheep would find sources. Blackbellied Barbados are one of the better known breeds of hair sheep; you should be able to find images of that on line.

You may have to buy a whole lamb (which should be around 35 pounds dressed, a top of refrigerator freezer full).

Goat is quite a good substitute and perhaps more available depending on where you are. Neither seems to show up in local supermarkets.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lamb is obeja bro, pelibuey is Sheep ,pelibuey stinks(if not cooked right,to gamey, obeja does not

Quote Originally Posted by Rivense67 View Post
    You could buy a whole Pelibuey for a about 500 or 600 cords (6 to 8 months old) and cook it yourself, the way you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    lamb is obeja bro, pelibuey is Sheep ,pelibuey stinks(if not cooked right,to gamey, obeja does not
    A lamb is just a baby or young sheep.
    A lamb is a sheep that is 12 months old or less. The term lamb is most commonly used to describe the lamb's meat. ie Lamb Chops. When a sheep that is 12 month old or more is served it is called Mutton. ie Mutton Chops.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1TiijkhdZ

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    That's a Cabro (the one that stinks). A young Pelibuey is great eating. I have cooked them whole in a caja china and they taste excellent. I even cooked an older male one time, about 4 years old. The meat wasn't as tender, but it wasn't gammy at all. Marinated it overnight with Garlic, basil and Sour Orange.

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivense67 View Post
    That's a Cabro (the one that stinks). A young Pelibuey is great eating. I have cooked them whole in a caja china and they taste excellent. I even cooked an older male one time, about 4 years old. The meat wasn't as tender, but it wasn't gammy at all. Marinated it overnight with Garlic, basil and Sour Orange.
    @Rivense67 & FisherCigarman (and other native speakers)

So in Nicaragua, is it . . .
    Pelibuey = carne de Pelibuey??
    mutton (full grown sheep) = carne de carnero o carne de oveja ??
    lamb (young sheep) = carne de cordero ??

and for

veal (calf milk-fed & <3 mos old) = carne de ternera ??

The above translations are from my Merriam-Webster Spanish-English Dictionary, but may well be different in Nicaragua. For example, chicken gizzards, mollejas (spelled in Spanglish moyejas at my local Supermercado Flor de Jalisco!) are titiles in Nicaragua!
    Last edited by dixietraveller; 07-31-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spacing
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Quote Originally Posted by dixietraveller View Post
    And so is it called carne de carnero, carne de oveja, carne neozelandesa, ??? (in case one wants to inqure! )

And the name of the carniceria is Bavaria? Does the owner wear lederhosen, and sell weisswurst, bratwurst, bierwurst, schinkenwurst, and other German goodies??
    The name is Bavaria.They dont wear the apparel but charge for lamb like it was like it was imported from Baden-Baden. They also sell bratwust and some German beer as well. The prices are higher than most places but fresh sausages and high quality meats including some Argentinian cuts.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12