Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Living Like a Nica

Blog Entries

Default Re: Living Like a Nica

Dr. Anne,

Not to be a wet blanket or SOB (as advertised) but I have noticed that almost all of your posts have included "Dr. McCrary" in one form or another.

Hopefully you have many other thoughts and comments about Nicaragua other than "Dr. McCrary" and his/your issues.

It is kinda, sorta like Kathleen Turner in Fatal Attraction.

Just seems a little obsessive/weird...... just sayin.

Your comment about "sanity and happiness" did strike a cord though..... surely they are not mutually exclusive? One can only hope, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

amsutton

Little Corn Tom: I think you mean Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction...perhaps I could live in Nica on $2 a day if I boiled bunnies for dinner like her character. I'm not obsessed with Dr. McCrary, but I am obsessed with justice. And I return to randude's comment regarding caring about what the people who mean the most to us think about us. I stand by my family and friends...at any cost. I would give up all of my material things to do right by them because it's continuity between what we say and what we do that brings internal happiness. If you're confused about what you stand for, then how can you ever find happiness? It's just my observation on the topic.

Blog Entries

You are correct and I stand corrected about Ms. Turner.....boiled bunnies...gosh I forgot all about that one....heck of a movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Great Commentary Vampirebat. It is funny how people do change throughout their lives, whether by design or circumstances. I seen myself as a yuppie at one time, wanting all the best things produced, and the first to get them. Now I think of myself living a simple life, where personal relationships and happiness in health are more important. I have had money and been broke. I cannot believe that there is not much difference. I am still me. The people that are important to me don't care if I have money or not. Everyone still wants stuff, but it is not the most important thing.
    Agree with randude; had all the toys, cars, homes, boats...means little

What I have seen is that the actual "living-like-a-nica" NICA, wants an opportunity, a job and a better life for their family...we have hired many here...and enjoyed watching them go from a bicycle for the entire family to a moto; to the pride of having a child in college...I think one of the positive programs here; is that if a Nica has a job & the employer actually pays INSS for a number of years; that the Nica can get a mortgage for up to $30,000 at 5% for a home...thus allowing them skin-in-the-game; slowly building a "Nica-middle-class"..in other words..they want a better life and NOT live like a Nica.

For me...soon moving to a small finca and a very small 12 sq. meter cabin...(Has another concrete home; which I will restore)...but it is about the LAND...covered with old growth trees and many fruit trees and even some coffee...maybe 15Km from nearest Gringo..

BUT, I do have a truck, computer, books and a well traveled coffee maker..

Quote Originally Posted by amsutton View Post
    Little Corn Tom: I think you mean Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction...perhaps I could live in Nica on $2 a day if I boiled bunnies for dinner like her character. I'm not obsessed with Dr. McCrary, but I am obsessed with justice. And I return to randude's comment regarding caring about what the people who mean the most to us think about us. I stand by my family and friends...at any cost. I would give up all of my material things to do right by them because it's continuity between what we say and what we do that brings internal happiness. If you're confused about what you stand for, then how can you ever find happiness? It's just my observation on the topic.
    go with him.... he's on a roll.... like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmybQKpmTw
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

i checked out a couple of books about retirement this weekend

500 - 600 pages boiled down to 5 points for a successful retirement

1. friends and family

2. rewarding or enjoyable activities

3. health

4. the money to allow the above

5. belief in somthiing greater than oneself that gives optimism.... like religion

YMMV
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Wow this library thing is taking off well, I like it.

Funny this particular book is the one with the most activity. It must be an important read. Phil must be grinning ear to ear.

I like the way you think Pete. At least we seem in synch at this moment in time. I have always believed in making sure you are more than fair to who ever you hire in any country. I believe if you pay well they will take care of the goose that lays the golden eggs. May not work in a place where lead floats though. Have to wait and see. I prefer to be in control of over paying my employees, not some union or government.

Two of the women that are closest to me, my mother and my first ex wife both tell me I do a terrible job picking out women (like they are saints or something). But I have seen that the women I pick are like pit bulls, they latch on and hold on with all their might. They would rather die than give up and don't care who they take with them. They get into your mind, want to know what you are thinking, then want to change it to something important to them. While in deep thought or mentally involved they take that opportunity to try to yak it up with you, rape your mind with meaningless babble. If you have the ability to pretend interested while maintaining your own thoughts they will test you, by asking what they were saying. And then once they have become like a barnacle on your brain and you cannot shake them anymore, they leave. They completely reject you, and even say that you are stalking them. Please help this poor young thing from this crazy man. I wonder if any of you had to ever deal with this craziness or if it is just me. Toms reminder of that movie, Fatal Attraction reminds me of a couple relationships that I have been in. And Dr Demento is like Glen Close in Tom's life.

Insanity runs deep. I guess what it amounts to for everyone is just doing the things that help you keep your own personal insanity at bay. Some may drink or do drugs, and that actually helps. For others, it is the lord or some deity, or charity work. Same dogs, different fleas. Some may just like to keep moving so they are not so rooted in one place it is a living grave.

I need coffee.
    Last edited by randude; 07-31-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post

1. friends and family

3. health

5. belief in somthiing greater than oneself that gives optimism.... like religion

YMMV
    Sounds like good stuff for life, not just retirement.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The book itself has a pisspoor title "living like a nica" WTF? what kind of nica? Do ALL nicas live the same? living like a nica where? what part of the country? are all the departamentos the same? more questions than answers from a Nica guy.

Living in Nicaragua could be,what One wants it to be,but MOST definitely nobody would live like the nica,phil writes about.

Living in Nicaragua varies from state(departamento) to state,depending on each state's weather,said weather will dictate what you can harvest-grow(animals) and basic items prices as well.

Even most campesinos I know live dirt cheap by choice,but not because they can't afford to live well,folks in Apanas are a great example,they have coffee farms and yet they live poor,but enjoy life to the fullest simply by being happy.

IMO: anyone that can afford $500 or so a month should live relatively happy in Nicaragua,and NOT like a Nica.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    The book itself has a pisspoor title "living like a nica" WTF? what kind of nica? Do ALL nicas live the same? living like a nica where? what part of the country? are all the departamentos the same? more questions than answers from a Nica guy.

Living in Nicaragua could be,what One wants it to be,but MOST definitely nobody would live like the nica,phil writes about.

Living in Nicaragua varies from state(departamento) to state,depending on each state's weather,said weather will dictate what you can harvest-grow(animals) and basic items prices as well.

Even most campesinos I know live dirt cheap by choice,but not because they can't afford to live well,folks in Apanas are a great example,they have coffee farms and yet they live poor,but enjoy life to the fullest simply by being happy.

IMO: anyone that can afford $500 or so a month should live relatively happy in Nicaragua,and NOT like a Nica.

Great point. But it is hard to come up with a title that is catchy and to the point without ruffling feathers. I think the title works if nothing else does.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

"but I am obsessed with justice". No offense, but you are going to have a real hard time here.

April of 2010 a friend was brutally murdered, No one ever saw jail. Little over 2 weeks ago an Islander just home from the Cruise ships was murdered in a botched robbery, 3 people in custody and I would gladly lay down money that none do much time.

Not trying to cause a disturbance, but Justice is kinda like the ant and the rubber tree. HIGH HOPES.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amsutton View Post
    I think we're as happy as we make our mind up to be on most days.
    i don't know what this means. I'm not picking on you, Dr. Anne, because a lot of people say that. But it doesn't make physiological sense to me. What does "happy" mean? If it's part of the continuum where we find manic depression, then not only do I not want it, but it only comes to you via neurochemicals or pharmaceuticals. You don't make up your mind to be manic or depressive.

When a person is feeling upset, down, or othwise unhappy, was that by choice? If you choose to be happy, what mental mechanism takes place to get there? If my muscles are tired, I can't make up my mind that they're toned and rested. That's like the Think Method of learning music in The Music Man. It's a sham. All we are capable of is to ignore the things that cause us to be unhappy. But that can be dangerous, like taking drugs to escape reality. Reality doesn't go away, it's still there when we forget to be happy for five minutes. Oh crap, I still have to make dinner and there's no food in the house. Don't worry, be happy. Yeah right.

I have always been happiest when I have zero obligations or repsonsibilities. As an adult male with a family, that choice is not available to me. I haven't been in that situation since I was a kid. Maybe for an hour or so here and the, but life always catches up.

Hell, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Blog Entries

The other thing I don't get is "doing things for others." Again, I'm not picking on you in particular. I've done lots of things for others and most of them don't appreciate it much. All of us who earn a paycheck do things for others, so someone needs to explain to me, an admitted cynic, how that is supposed to make a person happy. I'm clearly missing something.

Blog Entries

Happiness or, the lack thereof depression, could be a thread of it's own.

You all may remember a woman I was married to named Sharon. She was bound and determined to be unhappy.

When she was with me we had lots of money, nothing like she had ever experienced before. I should not get into specifics, but after all the bills were paid we had about $6000 a month, every month, to waste. While I was at work she slept or just laid in the bed all day playing with her laptop, doing online shopping, communicating with her family, and watching TV. She seemed to really enjoy using my money to help and control just about everyone in her family. As long as I got the things I wanted and was able to play golf whenever I wanted I never said a word. Anything she ever wanted she was able to get. When I come home from work she had the AC on 68 degrees. It was like walking into a refrigerator. She would be up in the bed, in her undies and wanting me to join her. I am talking 5:00 in the afternoon. I had no intention of going up there until 10-ish under most circumstances.

Now I know from personal experience that money is not the key to happiness. But she come from such poverty that she could not afford anything of her own. She could not buy the kind of tea or ice cream she loved. She could not bring in enough to keep herself in the basics, much less luxuries.

And I was not bad to her. I gave her whatever she wanted, and unless she was rude or obnoxious to me that meant sex and other forms of attention. I was not a bad husband, in my mind, just not one that she or any other woman could control.

She would throw away or break things of mine that were dearest to me to try to get my attention. At some point I would just give up and watch her implode and destroy everything. I knew that one day she would be gone and I could rebuild, which is what happened.

My point is this is a woman that could not be happy no matter what. She appeared to force herself to be unhappy any way she could.

Me, I am happy rich or poor. I can always tell a joke and laugh. When the world is falling down I just shake my head and laugh. There is always tomorrow.
    Last edited by randude; 07-31-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    The other thing I don't get is "doing things for others." Again, I'm not picking on you in particular. I've done lots of things for others and most of them don't appreciate it much. All of us who earn a paycheck do things for others, so someone needs to explain to me, an admitted cynic, how that is supposed to make a person happy. I'm clearly missing something.
    i recieved a tv show blurb about doing things for others.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7XA2UUpXRk

it doesn't appear that they appreciate it that much... or even get it.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Happiness or, the lack thereof depression, could be a thread of it's own.

You all may remember a woman I was married to named Sharon. She was bound and determined to be unhappy.

When she was with me we had lots of money, nothing like she had ever experienced before. I should not get into specifics, but after all the bills were paid we had about $6000 a month, every month, to waste. While I was at work she slept or just laid in the bed all day playing with her laptop, doing online shopping, communicating with her family, and watching TV. She seemed to really enjoy using my money to help and control just about everyone in her family. As long as I got the things I wanted and was able to play golf whenever I wanted I never said a word. Anything she ever wanted she was able to get. When I come home from work she had the AC on 68 degrees. It was like walking into a refrigerator. She would be up in the bed, in her undies and wanting me to join her. I am talking 5:00 in the afternoon. I had no intention of going up there until 10-ish under most circumstances.

Now I know from personal experience that money is not the key to happiness. But she come from such poverty that she could not afford anything of her own. She could not buy the kind of tea or ice cream she loved. She could not bring in enough to keep herself in the basics, much less luxuries.

And I was not bad to her. I gave her whatever she wanted, and unless she was rude or obnoxious to me that meant sex and other forms of attention. I was not a bad husband, in my mind, just not one that she or any other woman could control.

She would throw away or break things of mine that were dearest to me to try to get my attention. At some point I would just give up and watch her implode and destroy everything. I knew that one day she would be gone and I could rebuild, which is what happened.

My point is this is a woman that could not be happy no matter what. She appeared to force herself to be unhappy any way she could.

Me, I am happy rich or poor. I can always tell a joke and laugh. When the world is falling down I just shake my head and laugh. There is always tomorrow.

Randude, you hit the nail straight on the head. I have the same experience with my gf. It has taken us to the brink of breaking up with eachother. I didn't resign and let her have her way - you can't do that since it will just hit you tenfolds hard.

It's the small things in life that makes you happy. Like a chocolate chip cookie, looking at a great movie, a three second orgasm, great people around you and all the other small stuff.

Btw happiness is even in Scotland

amsutton

Jonh: Maybe you are doing it wrong. I have one son, nine dogs, a full-time job, and I'm sandwich generation with a kid and parents to help take care of....that is a lot of responsibility. Yet it all brings so much happiness and meaning to life. I don't think I was talking about anything physiological....all psychological...or maybe all psycho since I'm still on here talking to a bunch of "macho guys"

Dr. Demento: Love Animal House! But I have another memorable speech that I always think about when times turn rough. Here it is if anyone wants to check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX42P95MAfA

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Well said. It takes a lot of work, and a total change in mind-set to live poor.
    That and "Thrift, one lost, is a painful thing to get back "
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post

As much as I hate to admit it, Dr D has it right.

1. friends and family

3. health

YMMV

As much as I hate to admit it Dr D has hit it on the head.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

When a woman plays the "you're macho men" card, it's either a complement or a passive aggressive plea to roll over and tell the girl she's right about everything and we're wrong because we're cavemen. I choose to believe the former because it makes me happy.

amsutton

That's why I own nine little doggies....so they can roll over for me all day long I haven't found a man who will do that...yet

Blog Entries

Dogs rolling over you.

I have a worse problem here, these 2 woman painted my house, I fed them and it don't look like they are leaving anytime soon. Wish I couldn't cook.

I really would like to go to sleep on this full belly.

Yes Tom and Randude, I will get pictures.

Tomorrow, God Spare Life......
    Ernie K Doe

Now is it my imagination or what? Didn't ya just write something about squealing like a pig or was it the pig screaming or what exactly have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Dogs rolling over you.

I have a worse problem here, these 2 woman painted my house, I fed them and it don't look like they are leaving anytime soon. Wish I couldn't cook.

I really would like to go to sleep on this full belly.

Yes Tom and Randude, I will get pictures.

Tomorrow, God Spare Life......
    What is their combined weight ?
    Did the paint dry?

Blog Entries

Cookshoe is a Macho Bunky Man.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast